Epic Mickey Maker Slams Wolfenstein Reboot

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I don't feel much for a Wolfenstein remake, now a remake of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, yeah, I'd be all over that.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
You're smart, there's no reason why you can't fix this
Andy Chalk said:
Followed a link on a tweet talking about an Escapist news article misrepresenting the truth and being overly sensationalist. Figured I could guess who the author was. Was correct.

Dude, you're single-handedly bringing down the entire reputation of the Escapist. You work hard, you write well, listen to some of the feedback because there has to be a reason why your name has become a byword for stupid news articles. The response to the tweet was " This is a big part of the reason that I don't bother with the Escapist much anymore. It's a real shame."

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Did the world really need another developer spouting frustration or distaste for something I don't really give a shit about?

How many Wolfensteins have there been? 4? Wolfenstein 3D, RTCW, W:ET and Wolfenstein? Over how many fucking years? from 1992-2009? I'm not even sure W:ET even counts because it was free and opensource :/

/me sighs

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Andy Chalk said:
But one man is judging it anyway, and he's judging it rather harshly. "Did the world really need another Wolfenstein game? Did we need a generically dark, monochromatic, FPS, kill-the-Nazi-giant-robot game?" famed designer Warren Spector asked on his Facebook page. And then he answered, "Uh. No. The world did not. I am so tired of stuff like this."
Is it me or he says the world equals to him? I admit, after the last one I'm not terribly excited by this, but his position lately towards the industry in general tastes like frustration.

Andy Chalk said:
"Oh, and could we all just agree we'll never use the generic gravelly-whisper trailer voice guy ever again?" he continued. "And one more thing: Please stop using Jimi Hendrix to promote your adolescent male power fantasies. Thank you. I'm done."
Can't argue with that, except for Hendrix, not a big fan of the man, but the way he refers to adolescent male power fantasy sounds like an old man complaining about youngsters in his lawn. Just sayin'.

Andy Chalk said:
"Part of my frustration here is - well, lack of sleep leading to crankiness! But part of it is frustration not so much with Wolfenstein but what it represents to me. Like it it not, if you're playing console games - core games - you're probably playing a Shooter, a Shooter-like Action-RPG or a sports game. That's about all publishers offer us, now more than ever," he wrote. "When I see people getting all excited about Another Shooter, I fear for our future. A lot of comic book publishers probably said, 'They like that - give 'em more,' and a lot of readers probably said, 'Thank you very much.' And now comics are as marginalized as they ever were (except as inspiration for crappy movies). That's the sense in which we don't need 'another Shooter' or a reboot of Wolfenstein - the publishers aren't offering us much else and normal humans aren't yet impacted by the more creatively diverse indie scene."
Normal humans... ha ha, I remember how it went the last time he said that [http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/episode-82-never-grow-old]

Andy Chalk said:
In response to another user who claimed he doesn't see the difference between the Call of Duty and Wolfenstein franchises - he likes them both - Spector was even more pointed. "The fact that you don't see a difference between Wolfenstein and Call of Duty is EXACTLY the point I was trying to make," he wrote. "Remaking a classic is okay - not great, but okay. The fact that we get shooter after undifferentiated shooter is just sad."
Again, not much to argue, but his high and mighty position is not giving his statement any ground.

Andy Chalk said:
"It's totally possible the new Wolfenstein game will do something we've never seen before. Maybe it will even revolutionize the FPS genre," he wrote. "But I didn't see a hint of that in the material released so far."
Shielding himself much?

Okay, I kinda look at him with a bit of bitternss on my own after the Dice conference, but I know the core of his complains are solid, the way he speaks about it, makes him sound like a dork.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Warren I love you or at least love what you have to say and at least one of your creations and you seem like a pretty good guy, most of the time; but we?re not talking about an EA Activision product here. This is coming from Bethesda. They?re not ones for fueling the dude bro shooter scene and are likely to give us something unique instead of just another shooter. At least I hope so.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
And once again, Bitter Warren Spector SMASH!

Seriously whats with bashing a game based on a minimal teaser.
I saw (possibly) time traveling Nazis with robots, mixed in with Vietnam war era music.
For all we know the next wolfenstein is really the next timesplitters.

Yes I know that sounds dumb, but what if...

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Wow I hate it when some twat gets all high and mighty seemingly mistaking his opinions for facts, that's all Warren did here. My respect for the man has gone down a peg or two, regardless of his occasional valid remarks, it was stated in such a snobby way that I just can't agree. In my opinion Warren is a bit of a stuck-up douche and he's lost a bit of my respect.

I'm also admittedly upset about the pointless jab at comic books, really Warren?! You're gonna sit there and tell me you didn't like The Avengers? I guess we can change your full title to "Stuck-up LYING douche".

marcooos

Shit Be Serial Cray
Nov 18, 2009
BrotherRool said:
Andy Chalk said:
Followed a link on a tweet talking about an Escapist news article misrepresenting the truth and being overly sensationalist. Figured I could guess who the author was. Was correct.

Dude, you're single-handedly bringing down the entire reputation of the Escapist. You work hard, you write well, listen to some of the feedback because there has to be a reason why your name has become a byword for stupid news articles. The response to the tweet was " This is a big part of the reason that I don't bother with the Escapist much anymore. It's a real shame."
Oh man up! Don't like it? Don't come here

OT: I don't know why he's given any sort of respect he's an oldman who has failed to deliver on all his promises struggling to stay relevant in an industry that has moved on

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
I for one fully agree with him. I can probably count the shooters i bought in the last few years on one hand. They have long since started to bore me.

EDIT: Also, didn't we have a wolfenstein reboot just a few years ago?

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
I have never seen a post WWII shoot the Nazi giant robots game and the trailer looks pretty nice for a trailer. Guess this is going on my wishlist aswell.

Besides, when was the last time there was a game where the Nazi's WON WWII? I certainly haven't seen that before, could become at least a bit interesting story-wise.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
That... does not sound like a good story.

If they had won, my people would be dead or slaves (or worse). I will give the story ONE chance, because (if done right) it could, theoretically, be good. Even with Bethesda, I give it a 15% chance at being good. (still, without Bethesda, I would have given 0%. So points on that.)

marcooos

Shit Be Serial Cray
Nov 18, 2009
BrotherRool said:
marcooos said:
BrotherRool said:
Andy Chalk said:

Oh man up! Don't like it? Don't come here

OT: I don't know why he's given any sort of respect he's an oldman who has failed to deliver on all his promises struggling to stay relevant in an industry that has moved on
? That's exactly what people do. Considering you know, he makes his money by people coming here, I would have thought he wouldn't want people to piss off because he can't copy paste an article without making 20 things up. It's not like any of the other contributors have ever done this and yet Andy Chalk manages to screw up 'writing a headline' multiple times a month. The only thing accurate about a Chalk article is the link at the bottom

EDIT: It's not even like I'm the only one playing 'guess which newsreporter on the Escapist is crud' =D To be fair it's an easy game. Which is why I don't want to leave. It's not the Escapist that sucks. It's the one guy
https://twitter.com/krellend20/status/331851929355436032
Oh please internet news guru enlighten us on how everyone is shit at their jobs.
Everyone else has reported the same thing, if Susan thought he was shit he'd be gone but guess what he's not.
You are actively trying to stir trouble or just hope maybe one of them will rebuke you cos then your opinion is important

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Yeah you are a developer... If you do not like the way games are going, in terms of creation and story.... MAKE A BETTER ONE! Not some Di$ney fueled crap that no one wants to play.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
marcooos said:
Oh please internet news guru enlighten us on how everyone is shit at their jobs.
Everyone else has reported the same thing, if Susan thought he was shit he'd be gone but guess what he's not.
You are actively trying to stir trouble or just hope maybe one of them will rebuke you cos then your opinion is important
Frankly I've got no idea why he hasn't been sacked. It's not like this is my opinion, I didn't even read this news article when I was trawling the escapist because I know Andy Chalk is shit at his job. I was following someone else's link through twitter.

It's not like this is his first offence, I knew it was him just from hearing someone complain about bad reporting on the Escapist, the other dude on twitter knew it was him for that alone. The first time I read an article that had no factual resemblance to the article it linked to, I said 'hey this article is inaccurate' and then I got half a dozen replies telling me that duh, it#s written by this guy. An editor actually came along and rewrote the title of the article without Andy's permission (which I know because he was bitching about the people complaining the news was wrong on twitter and moaned about someone correcting his title).

I guess he brings in views, because this is Fox news journalism but if you ever think an article sounds sensationalist and then you read the link and find out it's just incorrect, take a look at the author title and it'll be this guy

Like I know that I have read a lot of articles now written by Andy Chalk that were factually incorrect and other people were complaining about it too. You can argue that he's not crud at his job, but watch out for it in the future and I can practically guarantee that if it's bad article on the Escapist, it was written by him

EDIT: I'm being too harsh, he's really prolific and writes a ton of good articles
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123841-EVE-Online-Celebrates-Ten-Years-With-Giant-Space-Battle
It's just I wish he wouldn't write the bad ones as well, he just needs to tone down a bit and double check the facts sometimes

EDIT EDIT: And some really good articles, finding some truth in an absurd Reuters article that tried linking EA not paying for gun licenses with videogame violence
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123850-EA-Halts-Gun-Brand-Licensing

I don't know. Sometime he writes articles where it doesn't even look like he's read the thing. It talks about sales in the US over the course of one month and he writes a news article about total sales in the consoles lifetime globally, or an article like this which way way way overstates it's case and emphasises everything to absurdity. And then other times it's the reuters thing

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Or Mr Spector, you could just...y'know, ignore the generic reboot of Wolfenstein (this is what, attempt #3?) and accept the fact that the AAA market is very narrow in its preferences. Let them have their power fantasies.

plainlake said:
I other news.. PC gamers are no longer considered as "normal humans"
We're turning into Mutants from the X-Men?

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I'm saddened by the news of a new Wolfenstein game. Not because of the reasons Spector listed, but because I'm afraid that it will suffer the same fate as Duke Nukem and Doom. The games are legendary but they are relics that should be appreciated behind glass cages, not bastardized into a shell of their former selves. People feel the same way about a lot of the stuff Nintendo does. People are wary of the new Sonic game.