Epic: Microsoft Doesn't Own Gears of War

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Epic: Microsoft Doesn't Own Gears of War

If Epic Games wants Gears of War to be released on the PS3, it has the power to make it happen.

One of the biggest exclusive franchises for the Gears of War [http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250GB-Console-Kinect/dp/B003O6JLZ2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1299286017&sr=8-4], with a third installment expected in September 2011. Contrary to what might be popular belief, Epic Games chooses to keep the popular shooter on Microsoft's console, and is not forced to do so.

Speaking to IndustryGamers, Epic Games president Mike Capps said: "Do we wish we could take all those PS3 [http://www.amazon.com/Killzone-3-Playstation/dp/B002I0K6DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299287816&sr=8-1], and get them to say Gears is awesome'? Yeah, sure I'd love to ship the Gears trilogy on PlayStation ... I want to be there; I want to be everywhere."

Capps confirmed that Gears of War is Epic's IP, but said that Microsoft makes an exclusive partnership very worthwhile. "Time and time again, when it came down to figure out what we do next with Gears, we sat down with Microsoft and they've given us really good, compelling reasons to work with them again," he added.

When Epic Games was just, in Capps' words, the "Unreal [http://www.amazon.com/Unreal-Anthology-Pc/dp/B000GPVUUS/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1299287911&sr=1-1] studio," Microsoft took a chance and used Gears of War to help launch the Xbox 360. It marketed the series, helped test it, and has generally both saved and made Epic money.

But is it enough money to keep Gears of War off of the PS3 forever? Capps seems to indicate a desire to share the experience with PS3 owners. Perhaps the inevitable Gears of War 4 will go multi-platform someday.

Source: IndustryGamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/epic-games-would-love-to-put-gears-of-war-on-ps3/]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I first read the title as "Minecraft Doesn't Own Gears of War".

It's been an odd day.

Apr 28, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Capps confirmed that Gears of War is Epic's IP, but said that Microsoft makes an exclusive partnership very worthwhile. "Time and time again, when it came down to figure out what we do next with Gears, we sat down with Microsoft and they've given us really good, compelling reasons to work with them again," he added.
In translation, MS offers lots and lots of money.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Skylants said:
They would do PS3 but not PC?

What the hell is wrong with Epic?!
It's another sign of snobbery towards the PC gaming peasantry by CliffyB.

ArMartinez02

Mar 10, 2010
I dont know, I kinda want GoW to be a Xbox exclusive, hence M$ dont have that many anyways.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
I have nothing against GoW, and I'd buy it if it came out on PS3/PC.

I will not buy a 360 just to play it.

I wouldn't even be particularly bothered if Infamous 2 was released for XBOX if that helped inspire Sucker Punch to make more games.

What does annoy me is that a publisher like Minecraft or Sony can literally own a developer's franchise and keep it restricted. I'm glad Epic's trying to get out.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Delusibeta said:
Skylants said:

ironic

considering he was the lead designer of Jazz Jackrabbit, one of the flagship games of PC

and that Epic published games like Tyrian and Tyrian 2000, the finest of SHMUPs that PC has to offer

and Epic also made Unreal, the only game to ever even get close to Quake 2

shit, I'm really depressed now

what the hell, Epic, we miss Epic MegaGames

wax88

Sep 10, 2009
Ninjat_126 said:
...What does annoy me is that a publisher like Minecraft or Sony can literally own a developer's franchise and keep it restricted...
wait...WHAT?! minecraft a publisher?

lacktheknack said:
I first read the title as "Minecraft Doesn't Own Gears of War".

It's been an odd day.
looks like you're not alone.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Ninjat_126 said:
What does annoy me is that a publisher like Minecraft or Sony can literally own a developer's franchise and keep it restricted. I'm glad Epic's trying to get out.
I don't think they're "trying to get out"; many developers claim they want to have their games on all consoles. They're more likely to get support if in the future they release games on other consoles than if they go around getting into fanboy console-bashing wars.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
teh_Canape said:
Delusibeta said:
Skylants said:

ironic

considering he was the lead designer of Jazz Jackrabbit, one of the flagship games of PC

and that Epic published games like Tyrian and Tyrian 2000, the finest of SHMUPs that PC has to offer

and Epic also made Unreal, the only game to ever even get close to Quake 2

shit, I'm really depressed now

what the hell, Epic, we miss Epic MegaGames
Epic published Tyrian 2000??, I didn't know!

OT: So yeah, that's another way of saying "screw the other platforms, especially the PC".

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Skylants said:
Gears 1 on PC didn't sell as well as MS and Epic hoped so they decided to blame pirates(yarrr) and pretty much threw a tanty and said they'd never put another Gears title on PC. Personally, I'd have explained the poor sales on massive indifference towards Gears in the PC gaming community.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I don't see why not..when Gears 2 was released I had to pack my xbox and 2 controllers, take a 2 hour train trip to friend who wanted to play Co-op...he had a PS3...would certainly mean I wouldn't have to do it again in September for Gears 3 :3

Also, I would actually like a "Gears 4" meaning a pre-quel to Pendulum wars and leading up to Fenix's imprisonment.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
If working with Microsoft has been working well for them, then cool. I can see why they would want to keep doing so. But Microsoft should really try getting more exclusives that are solidly exclusive. If only because I hate it when a previously exclusive title goes multiplatform and the fanboys on both sides go ballistic with flaming each other (see when Mass Effect 2 was announced for PS3; holy shit those were huge flame wars).

Ninjat_126 said:
I wouldn't even be particularly bothered if Infamous 2 was released for XBOX if that helped inspire Sucker Punch to make more games.
Yuck. The last thing I want to see is Sucker Punch making more games. At least not until they learn to make something good.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
mjc0961 said:
If working with Microsoft has been working well for them, then cool. I can see why they would want to keep doing so. But Microsoft should really try getting more exclusives that are solidly exclusive. If only because I hate it when a previously exclusive title goes multiplatform and the fanboys on both sides go ballistic with flaming each other (see when Mass Effect 2 was announced for PS3; holy shit those were huge flame wars).
Didnt hear much flame wars over that. The irony of it all is that ME is from BioWare, and BioWare is first and foremost, a PC developer. Then they go and dumb down games for the console versions(see: Dragon Age 2)

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
I definitely wouldn't describe GoW4 as inevitable. Possible, yes, but it doesn't really feel like they've been setting up a cashcow -- I think they may just leave it at a trilogy.

I hope they do anyway -- it would be nice to know there are some depths to which the game industry will not sink in terms of sequels...

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I think it'd be cool to share the experience. well, okay so apparently fanboys online don't have (real life) friends

because when I'm with a good friend who has a PS3, it's not a war or competition. it's us sharing our best times with games (me talking about Halo, him really pushing Resistance)

therandombear said:
I don't see why not..when Gears 2 was released I had to pack my xbox and 2 controllers, take a 2 hour train trip to friend who wanted to play Co-op...he had a PS3...would certainly mean I wouldn't have to do it again in September for Gears 3 :3

Also, I would actually like a "Gears 4" meaning a pre-quel to Pendulum wars and leading up to Fenix's imprisonment.
=} Pendulum Wars would indeed be EPIC