Epic "Saddened" by Gears of War 3 Leak

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
ZeppMan217 said:
Take DXHR press build leak as an example.
DX?

'Deus Ex' becomes 'DX'?

Surely DE:HR

I believe the only convention of shortening the "Ex" to "X" is with "Explosives"

sravankb said:
Oh yeah, completely agree with you there - the game's cutscenes are just something to wait out and get over with. But the gameplay feels absolutely fantastic and fluid to me. I've never played a third-person shooter that plays better than this game.

Plus, the weapons in this game are some of the coolest chunks of badassery I've seen in any game.
The weapons do have the talk, I just wish they had the walk.

Chainsaw is just too damn fiddly to use. WHY in this day and age is melee bound to a face button!!?! It should be mounted to a shoulder or thumbstick button so I can melee and aim at the same time. Uncharted does the same but the melee there is mainly for stealth attacks or finishing moves. then there is how if you take any damage at all with chainsaw revved it stalls and you are utterly defenceless for two seconds. Never EVER use the chainsaw. The only time you can is attacking from behind where any weapon's melee would do just as well.

"I've never played a third-person shooter that plays better than this game."

Have you played Uncharted?

Actually, have you played Max Payne! On PC, it's a fast paced game with multiple enemies you need mouse aim or it gets frustrating.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
Quite a lot of seeders and leechers for a leak, i must say. Crysis 2's leak was tiny compared to the download numbers of this one.

Suck it epic. Suck it nice and hard :p You deserve it for blaming piracy instead of owning up and saying 'microsoft gave us lots of money, ok?'.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
Are those green bits in the screenshot? I didn't think there were green bits in Gears of War.
Wadda ya know.

Don't really care about the leak, except feeling a little smug about the game being console-only and still getting stolen.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
PIRACY IS KILLING PC GAM... oh wait, it's a console exclusive. Well, carry on, I guess...

Yeah, I know, snide and mean of me, but I can't resist making a comment like that whenever I see a leak like this for console exclusives. It always bugged me that a lot of the games I like don't come out on my platform and the only real reason given is "Piracy lol!". Well, dear developers, enjoy your "piracy free" console market.

ZeppMan217

Apr 13, 2010
Treblaine said:
ZeppMan217 said:
DX?

'Deus Ex' becomes 'DX'?

I believe the only convention of shortening the "Ex" to "X" is with "Explosives"
DX is an official abbreviation. Just accept it, like Mortal Kombat.

sonofliber

Mar 8, 2010
Joseph375 said:
Still, how many people do you know who pirate console games? Probably none. Plus, you can actually ban someone's console/account for playing pirated games, on PC, you can't do anything. Console piracy is a small problem, and the new consoles come out next year anyway (HOPEFULLY WITH BETTER SECURITY)
eight friends (who have consoles):
4 xbox360, 4 modded (cant say if they play online).
2 ps3, 1 modded (playing online), the other is to lazy to mod it.
3 wii all modded and playing online.

yes, i know people who pirate console games.

and i inform you its easier than pirating pc games

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
ZeppMan217 said:
Treblaine said:
ZeppMan217 said:
DX?

'Deus Ex' becomes 'DX'?

Ah well, I can't argue with an official logo that is THAT BIG! Even though that logo is from the 'X-tream' PS2 port.

I'd just never come across that abbreviation before.

Then again 'Deus Ex' is such a short name I suppose it never needed to be abbreviated till the "Human Revolution" subtitle.

PS: Considering this is the original PC cover art;

The logo at the top is clearly not "DX" it looks far more like a stylised "DE"

I also remember that logo was in game, always revolving as you can see in this Lets Play, you can see the logo in the background of the launch options screen:

Do you have a more recent example of Deus Ex being officially abbreviated to "DX"?

"deus ex human revolution DX:HR" in google images doesn't give an example of any promotional images referring it to as "DX:HR"

But with "DE:HR" :

http://media.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/DEHR-at-e3.jpg (pic is too big)

I can only find an Eidos forum moderator who refers to "Deus Ex" as "DX"

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=86841

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
This maybe ignorance talking here since I personally have not played the games, but I was made to be under the impression that the Gears of War franchise was pretty much the same throughout...

If that's the case... Didn't it get leaked years ago?

Seriously though, I doubt it'll hurt sales.

People nowadays just want a taster and they'll use any means to do it.

Some of us don't feel overly obligated to wait for a short, poor representation of a demo, which, let's be honest will only be either the first half of an early level or just online deathmath to come out exclusively for people who can be bothered to pay for a Gold Xbox Live sub.
[sub](Can you tell I don't like Gold exclusive demos?)[/sub]

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Joseph375 said:
sonofliber said:
Joseph375 said:
Still, how many people do you know who pirate console games? Probably none. Plus, you can actually ban someone's console/account for playing pirated games, on PC, you can't do anything. Console piracy is a small problem, and the new consoles come out next year anyway (HOPEFULLY WITH BETTER SECURITY)
2 ps3, 1 modded (playing online), the other is to lazy to mod it.
3 wii all modded and playing online.

yes, i know people who pirate console games.

and i inform you its easier than pirating pc games
Most people don't. You should have them reported.
Yeah, someone call the cops. (/sarc)

PS: what kind of friend would he be if he did report them? i.e. he wouldn't

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Joseph375 said:
you can actually ban someone's console/account for playing pirated games, on PC, you can't do anything.
Uh, you can just as easily ban accounts on PC.

-in both cases; pirates locked out of networks
-in both cases; they can STILL use their platform

Banned accounts doesn't brick hardware. It's not like they need to stay in the network to get updates, they need custom/pirate firmware for new games which is cracked in no time and firmware is only updated every few months at most.

And most of the time Xbox Live has such terrible security that not only are modded consoles running pirated games allowed to participate but there is a lot of evidence that Microsoft can't even detect which console are modded!

An Xbox 360 is just a computer. Once modded it is even more dangerous than a PC as with consoles the network is built around the assumption the console is "honest" and does only what the official firmware allows. With custom firmware it is easy to run rings around the network.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Having the story spoiled in an EPIC game is a bit like someone telling you the ending of a Michael Bay movie. Slightly annoying but not really why you were paying to see it anyway. Also stuff will explode most likely

ZeppMan217

Apr 13, 2010
Treblaine said:
ZeppMan217 said:
Treblaine said:
ZeppMan217 said:
DX?

'Deus Ex' becomes 'DX'?

Ah well, I can't argue with an official logo that is THAT BIG! Even though that logo is from the 'X-tream' PS2 port.

I'd just never come across that abbreviation before.

Then again 'Deus Ex' is such a short name I suppose it never needed to be abbreviated till the "Human Revolution" subtitle.

PS: Considering this is the original PC cover art;

The logo at the top is clearly not "DX" it looks far more like a stylised "DE"
Just type DXHR in google, then try DEHR.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
Treblaine said:
ZeppMan217 said:
DX?

'Deus Ex' becomes 'DX'?

It's executable in the leak is named dxhr.exe or dxhr5_win7.exe, so I'd say calling it DX is fair.
sonofliber said:
Yeah, one of my friends with a modded 360 says he can play online.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Joseph375 said:
Also, isn't it possible to ban consoles from the network? That would mean no online play. If they keep trying they keep getting banned.
PC pirates can't play online either, since they don't have a unique pass that's required to play on servers.