Erin and Hobbes

scienceguy8

Sep 1, 2008
Rainboq said:
SweetShark said:
Rainboq said:
SweetShark said:
Rainboq said:
On the topic of tributes to Calvin & Hobbes, here have some Bacon & Hobbes.

Yeah....I want to feel the happiness and sadness for these specific comics, but I havetwo reasons not:

1. RobotChicken alternative ending of Calvin & Hobbes:

2. Calvin and her wife named their girl.........Bacon? Really?
A more suitable title it would be "Bacon and Tiger", cause, you know, Tigers love meat, hehehehehehehe....
Because its Calvin and Susie.
And? Because the girl have the name of a japanese food, must their child have a name of a food as well?
[Also I must say I didn't read a lot of this comic, but I know about the whole premise this have, so forgive me if I am wrong.]
The whole point was that Calvin and Susie were the only two people with any imagination, so they were weird together. Hence, any child they had would probably have a weird name.
Not quite. Calvin and Hobbes were named after two European philosophers: John Calvin and Thomas Hobbes. The Pants are Overrated guys obviously wanted to maintain this naming schema, and thus named Calvin and Suzie's daughter Bacon, after Sir Francis Bacon, yet another 17th century European philosopher.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Rainboq said:

there is more of this yes? cause it gets all of my approval

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I hear Bill Waterson hates merchandises and other things that he feels that "cheapens his work". But this is golden.

Tisiphone1

Doing Science
Dec 27, 2011
I've never read Critical Miss and thought "Hey! This is just like PA!"

In fact, now that I consider it, when it comes to "Critical Miss is like ______", I don't really have anything to put in the blank. And that's part of the reason I'm a regular reader.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
Rainboq said:

Sadly there is not.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Rainboq said:

That was the best thing I've seen all day. Thank you.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Rainboq said:

I haven't had feels of this magnitude since I finished the "There she is" flash series.

Raiha

Jul 3, 2009
only started reading C&H last week? you are in for a treat my friend

noooo_oo_oo

Dec 5, 2012
PH3NOmenon said:
How exactly was Critical Miss ripping off Penny Arcade?

I've been a fan both both for a while now, but I never saw any real similarities aside from "videogames".

I might be blinded by proximity, but could someone explain it to me?
I just finished reading through the archives (saw this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/10024-On-Reviews] comic posted on some image site and thought 'oh wow what else did I miss').

While going through it all, I got this distinct impression of something like Ctrl-Alt-Del written by the staff of Penny Arcade. That's hardly a criticism there; once you take Tim Buckley out of the equation, you have two successful webcomics. But aside from "videogames", things like the type of negative continuity used, the range of subject material, the casual vulgarity - stuff like that puts them in the same specific style of webcomic. You could make comparisons between Erin and Gabe (sub Clutch for Tycho) though I've seen a lot more of her character in other sources. By staff of Penny Arcade, I was trying to include Scott Kurtz (I forget if he gets paid by them or just shares an office) who has already been mentioned as an inspiration [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9451-Icky-Relationship-Stuff-1], and PvP does kinda have that bear character and an office setting. I mean, I am not trying to compare Grey Carter to Tim Buckley or accuse him of ripping stuff off. It's just that I see enough similarities not to dismiss some complaints out-of-hand.

K84

Feb 15, 2010
rhodo said:
You WISH you were ripping Penny Arcade and/or Calvin&Hobbes.
You aren't nearly good enough to possibly be mistaken for one of those two comics. But keep dreaming!
Actually, Penny Arcade keeps getting less funny with obvious reference jokes anyone can make.
And though the art style still has it's charm, i'm laughing less and less with every comic.

I've grown fond of CM in the time spent here on The Escapist, and as Yahtzee, it's an integral piece here.
It's cynical, hard, on the spot, sometimes heartwarming and most of all funny.
(and i always like the lines/notes below, but i was always a big fan of Shirow's Hypernotes...)

Calvin and Hobbes is classic, so we'll not even dare compare CM with THAT.
I'll give you the latter, but CM is in many ways better than PA.
But that's my opinion.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
CALVIN AND HOBBES!

Wait... How the hell are you copying C&H? Crit Miss is nothing like C&H.

Stout has schizophrenia, Calvin has adventures with his stuffed Tiger. There's no overlap there.

No offense, but you also have a long way to go to come close to C&H.

Rainboq said:

Oh my God... I love you... Why did Waterson have to retire? *sniff*

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
Rainboq said:
Lunar Templar said:
Rainboq said:

Sadly there is not.
T-T that gives me a sad.

But thank you posting it anyway :')
No problem, no problem what so ever :3
Krantos said:
CALVIN AND HOBBES!

Wait... How the hell are you copying C&H? Crit Miss is nothing like C&H.

Stout has schizophrenia, Calvin has adventures with his stuffed Tiger. There's no overlap there.

No offense, but you also have a long way to go to come close to C&H.

Rainboq said:

Oh my God... I love you... Why did Waterson have to retire? *sniff*
Because he was afraid of the strip getting stagant and too self referential... *cough* Garfield *cough*
Oh my... I currently have so many feels, they are leaking out of my eyes. Warm, emotional feels...[/quote]

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Rainboq said:
Because he was afraid of the strip getting stagant and too self referential... *cough* Garfield *cough*
I can respect that, I'd rather it stopped while it was still great then ... well Garfield ...