Erotic Role-Play Police to Patrol World of Warcraft

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Erotic Role-Play Police to Patrol World of Warcraft

Following complaints, Blizzard will soon start policing a notorious hang out for erotic role-players in World of Warcraft.

The Lion's Pride Inn in Goldshire on the Moon Guard server has something of a reputation in World of Warcraft, and whether it's a good or bad one rather depends upon your opinion of saucy public chat and strippers. As you can imagine, it's not to everyone's tastes, and after one complaint too many, Blizzard has said it will start patrolling the area to make sure people play by the rules.

The final straw seems to have been a complaint from a father who had found his son investigating the inn. After seeing what he described as "appalling and beyond offensive" activity, he cancelled his son's account, and then posted about his displeasure on the WoW forums [http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=26262580162&sid=1&pageNo=1]. He said that while he regretted having to punish his son for something that wasn't his fault, he didn't want him exposed to that kind of content.

A Blizzard representative responded [http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=26262580162&pageNo=6&sid=1#107], saying that this was not the first time Goldshire on Moon Guard had been brought to Blizzard's attention. The rep said that while it was impossible to have someone watching all the time, the customer support team would regularly patrol the area and take appropriate action against those who weren't following the rules. The rep made it clear however, that only public forms of communication would be monitored, as well as unsolicited whispers. What consenting players chose to get up to in party or guild chat, the rep said, was up to them.

The complaints must have been numerous and severe to warrant it, but the idea that WoW essentially has its own vice squad now is so strange that it's almost funny. It's not all that surprising that Blizzard wants to curtail this kind of behaviour though, as World of Warcraft, and indeed all MMOGs, lives and dies by its community, and public cyber-sex is a pretty good way of getting people riled.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-05-blizzard-policing-erotic-role-play-in-wow]

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
As someone who did play of Roleplayer servers in the past this is hardly anything new to me. Goldshire and the Lions Pride Inn especially are given a wide berth by anyone who valued they're sanity.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
That happened to me in I think Northshire, I think, and it was disturbing and very sad.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
UnableToThinkOfName said:
SEX POLICE
DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA

Don't they have, like, private rooms or something for that?
Or a real life? to have sex -.-
At least blizzard is doing something about it

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
THe problem is, I am sure they will just find somewhere else for it

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
and is this not why the esrb labels games with the warning that game rating may not reflect online play?

and are not most online games labeled teen?

way too many young children playing wow period, parents should monitor their kids and tell them to go outside and get some exercise, not stick them world of warcraft and not expect some harsh language and borderline stupid moronic behavior out of the communities.

hell most raid chat is rated pg or pg-13 in your typical guild. then we got any number of utube videos of kids in wow acting like either complete morons or propositioning any female that gets on vent. kids should not be playing these games period.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Wow, that dad's a little bit of a loser isn't he? It's not like you can actually take all your clothes off to reveal your privates or anything. That's reserved for Age Of Conan.

LtWiesel

Jul 26, 2010
It´s only on rpg realms, right? Still want to level a char without clothes on and without dying once. Record so far was lvl47, got killed by an ally :/

Nobodyman

Jun 5, 2009
I used to play on this server, but as soon as I leveled up enough to go to the deadmines, i never ever ever came back.

Jim Moreno

RP Jim
Nov 20, 2006
ERP does not belong in WoW, and I?m all for this. And the statement ?impossible to have someone watching all the time? is absolutely false. Now it?s up to the real roleplayers to get in there and bring quality RP back to Goldshire.

blackhole1

Jun 7, 2010
By all that is holy...

Honestly why for the love of God is this necessary. Imagine if a bunch of aliens were to tap into our communications and see this? I think I've just lost all faith in our species.