Erttheking's Guidelines to Critical Debate

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
I could add a whole heap of things about logical fallacies, and 'unethical discuscusion techneques, but I already see where this thread is going.

Besides, everyone loves using unethical discussion techniques. Often without even realising that's what they are doing...

And of course, the beloved strawman argument. In which you construct an extreme argument that is easy to mock, attribute it to the other party, then claim victory, even though you 'beat' an entirely imaginary argument that has nothing to do with what anyone said.
These techniques and fallacies should really be taught in school, along with critical thinking.

I'm the first to admit that I don't have a clue what all the fallacies are and that most threads that devolve into longer and longer posts really makes me irritated with their snark and very hostile attitude.
Yet, I have no way to contribute since everyone could basically roll over me unhindered despite any good will from my part.
It does not help to attract more people or make them engage in topics..

Lastly, thank you for that incredibly clear cut description of the straw man.
If one constructed such a fallacy but did not "beat" it, and only used it to point out what one fears will happen and give examples of ones outlook, is it still a fallacy?

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
Who knows how useful this will be, but it's always nice to try to set some basic tones.

Because I think I can guarantee that no one, not the OP, not you the reader have always followed these basic rules.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
CrystalShadow said:
I could add a whole heap of things about logical fallacies, and 'unethical discuscusion techneques, but I already see where this thread is going.

Besides, everyone loves using unethical discussion techniques. Often without even realising that's what they are doing...

And of course, the beloved strawman argument. In which you construct an extreme argument that is easy to mock, attribute it to the other party, then claim victory, even though you 'beat' an entirely imaginary argument that has nothing to do with what anyone said.
These techniques and fallacies should really be taught in school, along with critical thinking.

I'm the first to admit that I don't have a clue what all the fallacies are and that most threads that devolve into longer and longer posts really makes me irritated with their snark and very hostile attitude.
Yet, I have no way to contribute since everyone could basically roll over me unhindered despite any good will from my part.
It does not help to attract more people or make them engage in topics..

Lastly, thank you for that incredibly clear cut description of the straw man.
If one constructed such a fallacy but did not "beat" it, and only used it to point out what one fears will happen and give examples of ones outlook, is it still a fallacy?
I don't know anywhere near enough about unfair discussion techniques to really pick up on them properly, but it helps to at least be aware of the concept, and how manipulative it gets. Unsurprisingly, politicians love to use them on purpose. (While many people use some of them without realising).

Logical fallacies are something I have more experience with, though still nowhere near enough. They can be hard to spot at times.

As for the strawman thing... Well, it largely comes down to taking something to an absurd extreme.
It's a fallacy because you can use it to make someone else look bad, because what you said sounds similar enough to what they said that you can easily mislead an audience with it, and make the person you are having a discussion with look like an extremist lunatic.

It can't really be a fallacy unless you are attributing it to someone. Whether an individual, or a group.
At least, that's required to call it a strawman. Doesn't strictly speaking matter if you 'beat' the argument you've created or not, the key point is attributing something extreme or ridiculous to some person or group that isn't at all what they said.

If I were to say something like, cars cause a lot of pollution,

then you come along and reply: What do you mean cars are destroying the planet!? That's absurd. They're nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be...

That is a strawman.

Now I wish I could give a proper example of what you're trying to describe, but I'm kind of drawing a blank. XD

(Oh, and while we are talking fallacies, the 'no true scotsman' one is quite common too.
It goes something like:
A: All scotsmen love whisky.
B: Well, I'm a scotsman, and I hate it.
A: All true scotsmen...

Then of course there's the good old ad hominem.

Don't even touch the actual subject a person is talking about, instead attack them directly (insults, questioning their abilities, mocking them, their personal habits, private life, etc.)
You don't at any point say anything about the topic at hand, nor the argument presented, you just have a go at the person themselves. (Pretty much every political 'discussion' I see involves these...)

Anyway, there's many more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
Thanks again, I did not expect such big post in reply.

The explanation for some of the most used ones are enlightening and always helpful and I think I see how it goes, but of course, the permutations are endless.

*Looks at link* Holy Hannah!
How do people even manage to ..anything.. if there are such an abundance of dirty tricks to use against anyone.
*Rhetorical question*^

P.S: I'm not quite as naive as I may sound, only a little bit..

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
CrystalShadow said:
Thanks again, I did not expect such big post in reply.

The explanation for some of the most used ones are enlightening and always helpful and I think I see how it goes, but of course, the permutations are endless.

*Looks at link* Holy Hannah!
How do people even manage to ..anything.. if there are such an abundance of dirty tricks to use against anyone.
*Rhetorical question*^

P.S: I'm not quite as naive as I may sound, only a little bit..
I know right. With so many, you could be blindsided by just about anything, and not even notice.

Even if you're aware of the potential for fallacies, try remembering them all, and what they mean, when they apply, when they don't... XD

RedIvy

Apr 22, 2013
erttheking said:
Mind if I add two?

#8 Strive to use common definitions. When bringing up terms or concepts make sure to note what definition you are using in that context.

#9 Practice the Principle of charity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_charity). Assume that the person you argue with is NOT trying to offend you or anyone else. Assume that there is a logical and reasonable argument in what they are saying and try to find and respond to that, rather than anything else.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
1. As a university student, this one resonates quite clearly with me. However, it resonates in a very infuriating manner; therefore, all citations will in fact by my own personal knowledge and attempting to question these sources will automatically fail you.

2. My very presence in a thread has already contributed more then enough to its existence but sometimes I like to go the extra mile and write complete bollocks like this post. And also pester people to give me goodies.

3. I beg to differ: Yakobism *is* the moral ground that all other movements wish they could get on top of!

4. *Plays that Rage Against the Machine song. You know the one I mean....*

5. Only cowards and defeatists prattle of such things: this is a fight to the finish and the trenches will flow with the blood of the Golden Path traitors before I surrender! Wait, what were we talking about?

6. Well this one is just plain obvious if even you figured it out. *Smugness intensifies*

7. BLASPHEMY!

Additions to be included:

8. Dragonlayer is always right, even when wrong.

9. No-one is allowed to post while wearing pants anymore.

10. No-one is allowed to post pants anymore.

11. All guidelines and ethical constraint based threads are to be banned and replaced with "Do What You Feel" advice threads. Warning: You may not actually do what you feel. Doing what you feel can be hazardous to your internet health. Please consult an expect before attempting to do what you feel.

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
erttheking said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Colour Scientist said:
These threads always come across as incredibly condescending.
Hmyeah. "Alright everybody, shut up and do exactly as I say".
That is not what I said at all. There's a reason I called it a guide and not a rule book. I said people should CONSIDER these guidelines.

I'd be happy to hear any flaws you think my ideas have though.
Are you aware you used exactly the same phrase Johnny Depp used in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie?
Other than that, thank you for your guidelines. I will chose to disregard them and follow my own guidelines.
I will see my way out.