ESA Calls The Cops on Ouya's Parking Lot E3 Booth

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
And all this creates feel advertisement for the Ouya. Delicious irony, with all your daily recommended intake.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Can't we all agree that both sides are equally pathetic and may or may not have called the police for bs reasons? Personally if the ESA allows Microsoft in the building they can let the glorified smartcube inside too.

I mean its no more embarrassing than the N-Gage or Virtual Boy.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Caiphus said:
the doom cannon said:
Caiphus said:
Are those policemen on.... tricycle-segways? What the hell?
it's a T3. lots of urban and especially campus police are using them now. I was talking to one of the campus police at my school about them, and apparently they can go up stairs.
That's pretty cool. They haven't got them here in NZ. Maybe for good reason, the policemen would probably get tackled off them, savage as we are.
Imagine trying to drive one in Auckland central. All those steep streets? Also we're not too big on the whole 'assisted mobility for healthy people'. Fatty carts would get laughed at relentlessly here.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
While that's certainly a shitty move on the part of the ESA(if it's true), I have to ask...Is there a particular REASON the folks at Ouya didn't just play ball with them in the first place and get a both at E3 just like everybody else? I mean...Getting a booth right across the street IS a little obnoxious, isn't it?
ThriKreen said:
It's far more likely the ESA just doesn't care and had rented the parking space for, you know, the trucks to load and drop off equipment, displays and such. And the cops were just doing their duty, given the nature of the event, most likely for traffic reasons, as opposed to being called in by the ESA. Note that while Ouya's claiming they did, there's no proof of it, to me it sounds like it's more of them crying wolf for the free publicity and trying to play victim against The Man.
I'm inclined to believe this as well, since it seems like Ouya is in the business of being different just for the sake of being different.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
ThriKreen said:
It's far more likely the ESA just doesn't care and had rented the parking space for, you know, the trucks to load and drop off equipment, displays and such. And the cops were just doing their duty, given the nature of the event, most likely for traffic reasons, as opposed to being called in by the ESA. Note that while Ouya's claiming they did, there's no proof of it, to me it sounds like it's more of them crying wolf for the free publicity and trying to play victim against The Man.
I would be inclined to agree with you, if Ouya didn't announce to the world their intentions to do this last month.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124152-Ouya-Holding-Public-E3-Booth-in-Parking-Lot

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Robot Number V said:
While that's certainly a shitty move on the part of the ESA(if it's true), I have to ask...Is there a particular REASON the folks at Ouya didn't just play ball with them in the first place and get a both at E3 just like everybody else? I mean...Getting a booth right across the street IS a little obnoxious, isn't it?
Apparently they want to get members of the public able to be able to come up and have a play with the console, and E3 is more of a press-only event.

Kinda understandable, hands-on is going to be the best way of getting their message out, seeing as the first comment under nearly every press release is along the lines of "why would I pay $100 for Angry Birds lol".

Plus, I think they're trying to play up the "rebellious punk" angle a wee bit...

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
FizzyIzze said:
All I could think about when looking at that photo was "that would be great if they had cop Segways in GTA V that you could steal".
I'm pretty much ashamed to admit that was my exact same first thought. With any luck Rockstar will see this pic too and think the same!

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Who's the bad guy this week? EA? Microsoft? Activision? Doesn't matter. Whoever the scummiest scumbag in the industry is this week, you can bet they were pushing for this.

It's official. For everything that's wrong with the video game industry, the ESA is now part of the problem.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Everyone loves an underdog. Tbn its a small console idea, it may do ok... seriously stop being mean.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
My first thought is that it's a little embarrassing for Ouya to have a dumpy little hotdog-stand-esque booth in the parking lot of E3. It looks pretty cheap. Obviously Ouya doesn't have the big bucks of the huge console contenders, however they have done a great job of obscuring that fact through design and marketing up until now.

To me nothing says "cheap knockoff trying to play with the big boys" more than a parking lot booth across the street from the actual big event. I have no big opinion on the system itself, but to me a move like this just seems to cheapen the brand image they're going for.

gabycms

Sep 1, 2011
I see a lot of people judging the OUYA booth by the single picture in the article, allow me to fix that a bit if i may:

A Google+ post with a few pictures
https://plus.google.com/events/cfhaq4cpa6bn1djob7p75ci0big

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Classy job ESA, picking on the indie Android console. I almost want to go out and buy an Ouya, except I already have a PC so....

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
the doom cannon said:
Caiphus said:
Are those policemen on.... tricycle-segways? What the hell?
it's a T3. lots of urban and especially campus police are using them now. I was talking to one of the campus police at my school about them, and apparently they can go up stairs.
firstly, those things look ridiculous. if a cop like that would show up here he would probably be laughed out of the campus.
secondly, are cops in US so lazy as they need machines to go up the stairs? whatever happened to having legs?
Then again i see an appeal of a criminal running and then you just drive forward right next to him singing trololo.

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
gabycms said:
I see a lot of people judging the OUYA booth by the single picture in the article, allow me to fix that a bit if i may:

A Google+ post with a few pictures
https://plus.google.com/events/cfhaq4cpa6bn1djob7p75ci0big
I like the picture of the cop holding the Ouya t-shirt.

So not only has the ESA managed to make itself look bad, but it also converted local law enforcement to Ouya supporters. Well done.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Wait wait wait... ..American cops showed up, saw that everything was in order and then went about their business?

Where's the story about them Tazering/Maceing the Ouya people to death and dragging their mutilated corpses behind their ridiculous scooters around the town? Man, they are really going soft on law abiding citizens now!

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Still seems quite pretentious.

"We're an open platform, so we don't want to be at an event that isn't open to the public. We want to hang around outside an event that isn't open to the public, so you guys can all see how open we're being. After all, simply saying, 'We're not going to attend E3 because we don't feel like it's our sort of event' wouldn't get enough attention."

IKWerewolf

Jan 13, 2011
Has anyone seen the real trick here?

This is this year, why not make it bigger next year?

Next year after the Ouya has been out for a while, why not go back and this time invent as many Ouya and Indie Developers, keep it public and allow everyone hands on experience with the games.

The ESA has drawn attention to this small back-lot why not take full advantage of it and say "you started this so we'll finish it!"

I don't even live in the US and I'd support it.

Whatever happens I think we know what US cops will be playing on next year.