ESA Wants $1.1 Million From California

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
I feel bad for California. My time there has shown me that it's a beautiful state with some very nice people. Too bad it's state government is so shite.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
While this hurdle is over and done with i cant quite escape the feeling that California is going to try something different next time.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
I came here expecting a crazy story about the European Space Agency. Instead I find that.
Not sure if disappointed...

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
Much as I cheer at the win in gamers' favor, I don't see California coughing up the cash. Considering they are a bankrupt state(Which makes no sense since their GDP rivals or beats small countries' own. Balance budget much? Obviously not!), better to not put any more pain on the taxpayers there, most of whom could have cared less about the ratings legislation or been on the ESA's stance for their own reasons. I hope
specific California legislators
are removed from office before they come up with other dumb ideas to put California further into a money pit.

Better to just call it a win and hold a fundraiser to make up for the expenses.
I, on the other hand, see this as a $1.1M reason to kick stupid legislators out of office come election day. This isn't an organization stealing the lunch money from a bankrupt state. These are elected officials demonstrating the kind of idiocy that led California into debt in the first place. Don't like it (and live in California)? Vote the fuckers out.

Also, I hate that my political view has become so cynical that I don't vote for people that I feel can do the most for us; I vote against people that I feel will do the most damage while they're in office.

Eveonline100

Feb 20, 2011
scott91575 said:
It's very uncommon in this type of litigation in the US for legal fees to be awarded to the winner. That is normally done in cases of frivolous lawsuits made in bad faith. Which of course could happen since there is evidence they were given fair warning from multiple experts it was unconstitutional. If the ESA is awarded legal fees, that is one more kick in the nuts to the people backing this litigation since it in essence declares them idiots.
works for me now where is the dunce cap at....

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
I though the title was about the European Space Administration. I was really confused. It makes a lot more sense now.

Though I don't know if they'll have to fight for it long; California may be hugely indebted like the rest of the US, but their still wealthy enough to pay up no problem.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
Make Leland Yee pay it. He wrote the damn law in the first place, he should have to pay to defend it. Plus it would send a message to the California lawmakers. You write a stupid bill, be prepared to pay for it in cold hard cash.

Yeah, it's still taxpayer money, but at least it's taxpayer money already given to Lee.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
RonHiler said:
Make Leland Yee pay it. He wrote the damn law in the first place, he should have to pay to defend it. Plus it would send a message to the California lawmakers. You write a stupid bill, be prepared to pay for it in cold hard cash.

Yeah, it's still taxpayer money, but at least it's taxpayer money already given to Lee.
Thank you, I was trying to remember his name. He championed the damn bill and wouldn't let it die when it should had. He should be the one to pay.

My friend was a political science major and several of his classes actually discussed people who do nothing but make money from writing and trying to push through ridiculous legislation. His professor called it cancer in government.

If there was a way to make Leland Yee pay others wouldn't be so inclined to try to get shit passed into law.

LANCE420

Dec 23, 2008
JediMB said:
Err... won't these $1.1 million also be taxpayers' money?

That sounds like a bad idea, considering the state of the US economy.
Is the government not accountable for it's actions? Not like they'll get 1.1 million. There are limitations to the amount you can sue a state over.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
The Grim Ace said:
I may love my state but we have the worst public officials in the US
I don't know, as a Texan I'd like to nominate my state officials for worst in the nation.

But on topic though I think this is a long time coming, California should not have been pursuing this after they had clearly lost. They wasted their time and money along with the ESA's and need to face the consequences for that.

On the other hand, they already lost, should they have to pay the legal fees for the side that already won? Will that really help anything?

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
bout time california got punished for passing unconstitutional laws. (maby not the state it self but alot of the cities pass some major stupid laws)

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
Now THAT is how you do it. Don't just defend Free Speech. Go on the offensive! Those who attempt to restrict Free Speech need to be punished for their crimes. I completely support the ESA's attempts at doing just that, and I sure hope they win.

Free Speech has almost been unconstitutionally restricted on many cases. (And in some cases, it HAS. See "Christopher Handley".) We need to put a stop to laws like that being made. And the best way to prevent laws like that, is to make people AFRAID of passing them. If the ESA wins this case, I seriously doubt California will ever try to restrict Free Speech again. They'll be too scared of racking up another $1.1 million bill. I would be thrilled if Free Speech had fear on its side.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
New Frontiersman said:
On the other hand, they already lost, should they have to pay the legal fees for the side that already won? Will that really help anything?
It will strongly discourage future attempts at bringing up the same thing.

A few months ago there was a court case in Texas (I may be wrong about the state) in which a highschool cheerleader was allegedly raped by a boy at her school who happened to be on one of the teams. One way or another it was determined through the justice system that he was not guilty. She stuck to her guns and refused to cheer for him, and so she was removed from the cheerleading squad. Her family tried to sue the school, but it was determined that the cheerleading position is a mouthpiece of the school and not a place for her to have the freedom of expressing her own opinion, so she lost. So she tried to sue the school again in a different court. And she lost again. So she tried to take them to federal court, and she lost again, this time being forced to pay a large sum for "frivolous" attempts to pursue the same case. As far as I know she hasn't attempted again.

In the same way, it will stop, or at least discourage, California, and others, from attempting to pursue this case a third time (or however many times we are at).

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
LANCE420 said:
JediMB said:
Err... won't these $1.1 million also be taxpayers' money?

That sounds like a bad idea, considering the state of the US economy.
Is the government not accountable for it's actions? Not like they'll get 1.1 million. There are limitations to the amount you can sue a state over.
Sure it is, but that's still the taxpayers' money that is better needed elsewhere.

Especially considering that everyone seem to be so afraid of countering the budget deficit with higher taxes. (And it makes the claim that the bill was a waste of tax payers' money to begin with sort of hypocritical.)

Mind you, I'm not saying ESA is wrong to want compensation for legal fees and such, but considering the bigger picture of the nation I think it ill-advised.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Oh lol. I thought he ment ESA as in European Space Agency. I was like "What the hell does the european space agency want with Californias money? Gotta check this out!"

Jarcin

Oct 1, 2010
=\ I don't quite know how to feel. We fought and we won. Is the victory not enough? This is no time to start taking money from cashless states...

At the same time I understand that someone (or some many) had to pay the legal fees for the ESA.

I'm 60-70% just let it die. Don't kick a man when he is down...in a well...of fire....and doom.

The rest though, yea wants reimbursement for a trial that never should have happened.