ESA Wants $1.1 Million From California

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
New Frontiersman said:
The Grim Ace said:
I may love my state but we have the worst public officials in the US
I don't know, as a Texan I'd like to nominate my state officials for worst in the nation.

But on topic though I think this is a long time coming, California should not have been pursuing this after they had clearly lost. They wasted their time and money along with the ESA's and need to face the consequences for that.

On the other hand, they already lost, should they have to pay the legal fees for the side that already won? Will that really help anything?
As an elementary ed major in the state of Texas, I'm inclined to agree. I'm pretty damn boned come graduation time. Because education, who needs it, right? Also, Rick Perry may run for President. Time to blow up the world.

OT: This should come from those who pushed the law, not just the state, but I don't see that happening, so eh. Make bad decisions, vote stupid people in, pay for it.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
EvolutionKills said:
JediMB said:
Err... won't these $1.1 million also be taxpayers' money?

That sounds like a bad idea, considering the state of the US economy.

Yeah, but that's what happens when elected officials do stupid crap. The people who voted for them have to pay for their mistakes. It happens often enough, you vote them out of office.
Everyone pays taxes so everyone (not just those who elected Arnold in) will foot the bill. Of course, I am fine with that. Don't propose unconstitutional laws next time. It's a message to all 50 states not to try this again.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
How about this, take the money from the senators that come up with that stupid law and force them to pay that 1.1 million directly as a big fat apology check.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
bob1052 said:
New Frontiersman said:
On the other hand, they already lost, should they have to pay the legal fees for the side that already won? Will that really help anything?
It will strongly discourage future attempts at bringing up the same thing.

A few months ago there was a court case in Texas (I may be wrong about the state) in which a highschool cheerleader was allegedly raped by a boy at her school who happened to be on one of the teams. One way or another it was determined through the justice system that he was not guilty. She stuck to her guns and refused to cheer for him, and so she was removed from the cheerleading squad. Her family tried to sue the school, but it was determined that the cheerleading position is a mouthpiece of the school and not a place for her to have the freedom of expressing her own opinion, so she lost. So she tried to sue the school again in a different court. And she lost again. So she tried to take them to federal court, and she lost again, this time being forced to pay a large sum for "frivolous" attempts to pursue the same case. As far as I know she hasn't attempted again.

In the same way, it will stop, or at least discourage, California, and others, from attempting to pursue this case a third time (or however many times we are at).
Yeah, I actually feel pretty stupid adding that last part, especially since I phrased it so poorly. I should have clarified myself more though. The way I saw it at the moment, suing for legal fees seemed a bit frivolous and unnecessary. At the time I figured although the state was wrong in their decision to pursue the case I wasn't sure that they owed the ESA any money for their opposition since the ESA chose to oppose the law. But I see your point though, and I think it's probably for the best. Plus there is legal precedent to back it up, so I guess that's enough.

Apr 28, 2008
Serves the idiots right.

Millions of problems in California, and they choose to waste 1.1 million pursuing a stupid-ass law that was always bound to fail.

Idiots.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
The Grim Ace said:
[small]I may love my state but we have the worst public officials in the US[/small]
Heh, for that to be true you would have to move to Chicago.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Its too bad politicians can't be held personally liable when they vote for unconstitutional legislation. In my opinion that is gross negligence, abuse of the public trust, and tantamount to treason.

In an ideal world every politician who votes for legislation found to be without constitutional justification would immediately be stripped of their position and the ability to ever hold office in either an elected capacity or as an executive or board member of a public corporation.

But that will never happen because that would mean there might be real accountability for those in power.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
JediMB said:
LANCE420 said:
JediMB said:
Err... won't these $1.1 million also be taxpayers' money?

That sounds like a bad idea, considering the state of the US economy.
Is the government not accountable for it's actions? Not like they'll get 1.1 million. There are limitations to the amount you can sue a state over.
Sure it is, but that's still the taxpayers' money that is better needed elsewhere.

Especially considering that everyone seem to be so afraid of countering the budget deficit with higher taxes. (And it makes the claim that the bill was a waste of tax payers' money to begin with sort of hypocritical.)

Mind you, I'm not saying ESA is wrong to want compensation for legal fees and such, but considering the bigger picture of the nation I think it ill-advised.
The government has to be held accountable somehow. Hopefully people will remember this next time they vote. If they vote at all.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
AndyFromMonday said:
Sure ESA, take our tax money! It's not like it could be used to cure cancer or anything.
It would more likely be used to fight wars than to cure cancer.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Here's yet another Californian, wanting the state to pony up the cash. Or possibly Schwarzennegar and Lee, since it was basically their law. Oooh, I'd love for California to make Yee pay for ESA's legal fees.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
Blackout62 said:
...Our state's seal is a somewhat sad hodgepodge of symbolism.
The first time I saw it, I though that the miner was hitting a sleeping bear with his pickaxe; Now I can't help but giggle every time I see it. Also, "EUREKA," Very subtle.

The only thing that can teach them not to waste money on fighting your own constitution is things like this. Yeah, they're in debt, but so is everyone and the ESA deserves their money.

PONY UP!

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I honestly don't know what to say, except...

[HEADING=1] HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA![/HEADING]

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
New Frontiersman said:
The Grim Ace said:
I may love my state but we have the worst public officials in the US
I don't know, as a Texan I'd like to nominate my state officials for worst in the nation.
?
With Rick Perry in office, we win pretty much by default man.

OT: Suck it Cali. Suck it hard. And then pay us. That's how we roll *****.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
samsonguy920 said:
Much as I cheer at the win in gamers' favor, I don't see California coughing up the cash. Considering they are a bankrupt state(Which makes no sense since their GDP rivals or beats small countries' own. Balance budget much? Obviously not!), better to not put any more pain on the taxpayers there, most of whom could have cared less about the ratings legislation or been on the ESA's stance for their own reasons. I hope
specific California legislators
are removed from office before they come up with other dumb ideas to put California further into a money pit.

Better to just call it a win and hold a fundraiser to make up for the expenses.
I, on the other hand, see this as a $1.1M reason to kick stupid legislators out of office come election day. This isn't an organization stealing the lunch money from a bankrupt state. These are elected officials demonstrating the kind of idiocy that led California into debt in the first place. Don't like it (and live in California)? Vote the fuckers out.

Also, I hate that my political view has become so cynical that I don't vote for people that I feel can do the most for us; I vote against people that I feel will do the most damage while they're in office.
You ain't the only one. It has more become just a grim hope that the next guy/gal will be better. Keeping the current ones isn't seeming to be a good idea right now. Part of the problem, though, is there are a large number of voters who don't bother to research the candidates and just vote blindly. Some figure why change things for no good reason. It used to be more swayed by people putting their genuine two cents in, then it was more and more swayed by those with the big bucks, but now I feel it is more just random chance. Everybody wants the whole pie, but it only ends up being a bingo card.
I still like the fundraiser idea, though. Those are quite effective at getting the word across to those with strong connections.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
scott91575 said:
It's very uncommon in this type of litigation in the US for legal fees to be awarded to the winner. That is normally done in cases of frivolous lawsuits made in bad faith. Which of course could happen since there is evidence they were given fair warning from multiple experts it was unconstitutional. If the ESA is awarded legal fees, that is one more kick in the nuts to the people backing this litigation since it in essence declares them idiots.
Dunno how uncommon it really is. The ESA has been awarded legal fees in at least two cases where they went after a state that passed similar laws. Louisiana and Illinois both had to pony up money to the ESA to defray their expenses. Given that California's administration had to have known they were going to lose, the ESA should get every penny they spent. If CA had just stopped while they were ahead, they wouldn't be in this fix, and the ESA shouldn't suffer financially for CA's idiocy.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Part of me wants them to pay up for being dumb but part of me thinks this is just kicking a dead horse...with a shotgun.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Okay... time to roll up my sleeves for this one;

California pays the $1.1 million and docks it from Leland Yee's wages for the next decade.

California brushes this stupid, sorry mess under the carpet, and Mr Yee learns never to waste the court's time with ridiculous, and dangerous, legislation.

There you go, problem solved.