Escape Radio Episode One

AP Erebus

Aug 2, 2006
YAY!

I was very excited to read this... now I just have to get home to download it :D

I loved GWJ radio and mourned it's loss (not really :p) but am very excited to read it's back, in a way...

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
AP Erebus said:
YAY!

I was very excited to read this... now I just have to get home to download it :D

I loved GWJ radio and mourned it's loss (not really :p) but am very excited to read it's back, in a way...
I predict you'll be pleased, Erebus. If not, I'll refund your full purchase price. I GUARANTEE IT.

Aug 4, 2006
Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way but I felt very dissapointed in the episode. I felt I would get the same serious and interesting conversation that I receive when I read the escapist magazine. From what I heard, it was just two people talking about games just like the hundreds of other gaming podcasts that I could listen to. Hopefully I'm not the only person who felt this way.

Luke

Aug 7, 2006
I registered today for the sole purpose of commenting on this podcast. I'm a regular reader of the Escapist and I evangelize the website and magazine at every given opportunity. When I heard there was an Escapist podcast in the works, I was giddy with anticipation. Then I listened to it.

This might be the most alienating, uninformative podcast I have ever listened to and trust me, I've listened to some stinkers. A couple of guys laughing at each other is not a podcast, at least not the podcast I'd expect from The Escapist. According to your description, Escape Radio is "devoted to mature gaming industry commentary, gaming news and interviews with industry innovators". I beg to differ.

I wish I hadn't listened and I think my best bet is to pretend that this venture is not associated with The Escapist. Please don't frighten away your readers.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Lots of varied and interesting feedback here. I think that's fantastic. Having been in media production for over a decade, I can testify that the absolute worst response one can receive to one's work is no response at all. Seems like we'll be okay on that score.

I wanted to pop in here and let you all know that we do value your feedback, and genuinely take your comments and criticism to heart - the good and the bad. Naturally, glowingly positive feedback is more fun to read and criticism is more valuable when it's constructive, but any time somebody takes a moment out of their busy schedule to write down in a forum post or an email or a bomb threat what they think of what we do, I'm flattered. I know you don't have to listen and you don't have to write and that you do really means a lot. Keep 'em coming.

Shawn, Ian and I have heard all the same gaming podcasts you guys have, and we decided to do something different with Radio. We believe it's as entertaining as it is informative, and that the gaming community is ready for a show like that. We think there's something about two dudes sitting in their houses, talking into microphones about video games that's kind of hard to take too seriously. So we try not to take it too seriously. Obviously some of y'all agree with us and some of y'all don't. That's fine. At the end of the day, as a producer and entertainer, you have to produce the show you believe in and hope that others will believe in it, too. Some people will, some people won't and that's just the way that goes. Trust me. Been there, done that, read the emails.

We're just pleased as punch that so many folks have decided to give Episode One of Escape Radio a listen, and we're working hard to make Episode Two even better. We've got a ton of great interviews lined up, more exciting new music coming in and that's just the beginning. So stay tuned, and thanks for listening.

Lara Crigger

Jul 11, 2006
I really liked most of the music I heard on the podcast, and I noticed that you have links to the composers' webpages in the radio post. Unfortunately, many of the featured songs aren't available on those sites. Would it be possible to provide information somewhere on how or where to download/purchase their music as well?

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
To chime as the publisher, my sense is that different mediums demand a different message in order to succeed.

Talk radio, at its most successful, is almost always more flamboyant and funny than written coverage of the same topics. The written word has permanence and nuance and most importantly the luxury of time and length to explore the depth of content. Talk radio has the advantages of inflection of the voice, the layering of sound and music, and the infectiousness of laughter. If we're not playing to those strengths, we're not using the medium. So an Escapist podcast isn't going to have the same "feel" as the magazine. Same coverage, same people, but it'll be different. I think that's a good thing.

p.s. We did seriously consider a "books on tape" approach with audio versions of articles, and might in fact do that one day.

Aug 22, 2006
Archon said:
To chime as the publisher, my sense is that different mediums demand a different message in order to succeed.

Talk radio, at its most successful, is almost always more flamboyant and funny than written coverage of the same topics. The written word has permanence and nuance and most importantly the luxury of time and length to explore the depth of content. Talk radio has the advantages of inflection of the voice, the layering of sound and music, and the infectiousness of laughter. If we're not playing to those strengths, we're not using the medium. So an Escapist podcast isn't going to have the same "feel" as the magazine. Same coverage, same people, but it'll be different. I think that's a good thing.
About The Escapist said:
The Escapist covers gaming and gamer culture with a progressive editorial style, with articles and columns by the top writers in and outside of the industry. A weekly publication, its magazine-style updates offer content for a mature audience of gamers, entertainment enthusiasts, industry insiders, and other "NetSet" readers.
Archon-

Tom Kim here. To chime as a listener and game podcaster, I'd respectfully like to disagree. Not with your original assertion, but with your conclusion.

I was bemused with Russ and Shawn's mocking vibe on the Gamers With Jobs podcast. It helped that they could talk intelligently about games. But personally, I'm not so sure that their style fits with The Escapist. Don't get me wrong: I have no problem with the casual tone that most podcasts take. Accessibility and candor -- unfiltered by PR wonks -- are part of the charm of the medium. But I had high hopes for Escape Radio, which is in part why I am ultimately so disappointed.

I don't agree with Russ' use of the show to posit his and Shawn's ofttimes mean-spirited opinions under the aegis of The Escapist. I mean, sometimes a good dig is fun. And even on occasion, well-deserved. But, "flamboyant and funny" don't have to mean snarky and snide. Perhaps I identify with my guests all too much because I used to work in game dev. And while I don't think that every game journalist needs to be a developer in order to properly cover the industry -- God forbid the lack of objectivity there -- I'd take a disparaging comment better if I felt that the speaker wasn't being simply arbitrary.

To be fair -- and to Russ' point -- this is a matter of personal taste. As the old proverb says: De gustibus non est disputandum -- there?s no disputing about taste, which is always the preemptive argument. Also, Russ and Shawn do put on an entertaining and excellently produced show. Their professional production and original music by Ian Dorsch and Willow Tree Audioworks are unequaled, especially when compared to the amateur (by definition as much as by connotation) efforts of most game podcasts, my own included.

To get to the point: I am concerned that the dissonance of Escape Radio's style might diminish The Escapist's brand. Personally, I do not feel that Escape Radio augments The Escapist's unique style of progressive editorial on gaming and gamer culture. Moreover, I don't feel that the balance of the show's content -- as far as two shows are indicative -- is relevant to your reader- or listenership. I was willing to give the guys the benefit of the doubt with the first show. After all, it did feature some appropriate reporting and commentary on game industry news, such as the ATI/AMD merger, videogame addiction, and Nintendo's forecast earnings -- puerile, obvious, and frankly stale jokes about their new console's name aside.

But I continued to be let down by the second show. When the hosts themselves joke about how "inside" their banter is, I just don't know... Perhaps in time, insider status may confer a sense of community. But without context, it all can come across as being "too cool for school." More trenchant interviews with great guests such as Henry Jenkins, and less sarcastic potshots at the expense of Jeff Green, David Perry and American McGee would've been preferable. I'm not so sure that the majority of The Escapist's readers -- most of whom are unlikely to be familiar with Russ and Shawn's work on Gamers With Jobs -- are finding the laughter so infectious.

I am all the more disappointed because I know that Russ and Shawn do love games, as much as they seem to hold some of the community in contempt. And I consider them to be quite witty and talented guys. I somehow found it easier to lighten up when listening to GWJ. You might ask, if I was already familiar with their style, why I expected Escape Radio to be any different. But I did. I expected it to be more in tune with the pitch-perfect editorial tone of your publication. In short, to be better.

Because although Russ and Shawn may host the show, it is considered by its listener base to be reflective of your publication and your editorial stance. My other concerns are more broad: part of Themis Group's reason for founding The Escapist was to elevate the overall perception of the interactive entertainment medium. Consider that many of your audience read your publication because they love games. They want to promote them, to justify them, and to see them do well. I, for one, don't care to hear seeming detractors to the industry representing your program. We have plenty of those already. By all means, invite them on the show as guests. But not as hosts. I don't expect anyone working in the enthusiast press to be a fawning industry booster. But in my opinion, criticism in The Escapist is fairly tempered by balanced judgement, and intended to be constructive. Not so much with Escape Radio. I feel Russ and Shawn's tone was an appropriate fit for the freewheeling style and intimate community at Gamers With Jobs. Not so much for The Escapist.

Frankly, I expect The Escapist -- and by extension, its podcast -- to make the news. Not simply to report it, regurgitate it, or pontificate about it. Much less to rip on it. I can subscribe to any number of gaming news feeds, blogs, and podcasts for that. I love your publication for its high level of discourse, originality and its editorial perspective combined.

I'll give the program some more time. That's usually all it takes for a show to find its voice. Especially one with such promising talent and material behind it. And in the end, if I don't care for it, I don't have to subscribe to the feed. But I really wanted to "feel" as good about the launch of Escape Radio as I do about the run of The Escapist.

-Tom

Archon said:
p.s. We did seriously consider a "books on tape" approach with audio versions of articles, and might in fact do that one day.
p.s. You might want to reconsider doing that sooner rather than later. You really do release a lot of excellent content. In fact, the only complaint I have with your publication is that you put out so much good stuff that I have a hard time keeping up with it all. Helping your audience stay abreast of your great articles would be a nice service. What's wrong with playing to your existing strengths? I'm not suggesting you replace Escape Radio with this, but that you supplement it. It could be a way to release more great material more frequently.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Thoughtpolice said:
Here here!

The last thing this creative and intelligent magazine needs is a kick in the nuts by a couple of cynical chuckle-head bullies.
One of whom is a moderator on this forum.

My point? Keep it constructive, moderate your language and tone and we'll have no problem.

Shawn Andrich

Aug 4, 2006
What a thread! It's really nice to see how close so many people hold The Escapist to their hearts. Russ and I do too, I think the concerns expressed here (and elsewhere) have been valid and we do talk about them in more serious tones when we're not doing the show. I suppose if I had any requests, it's that you guys keep in mind that we've already done a bunch of successful shows in one style and we can't (and won't) try to force ourselves into a given mold all in one go. I do feel like the show will shift in tone here and there as we settle in, but it might never completely be the straight-laced, intellectual, monocle wearing, wine sipping Podcast you're hoping for. ;)

Aug 22, 2006
Shawn Andrich said:
What a thread! It's really nice to see how close so many people hold The Escapist to their hearts. Russ and I do too, I think the concerns expressed here (and elsewhere) have been valid and we do talk about them in more serious tones when we're not doing the show. I suppose if I had any requests, it's that you guys keep in mind that we've already done a bunch of successful shows in one style and we can't (and won't) try to force ourselves into a given mold all in one go. I do feel like the show will shift in tone here and there as we settle in, but it might never completely be the straight-laced, intellectual, monocle wearing, wine sipping Podcast you're hoping for. ;)
Hey there, Shawn-

Fair points. I'm not asking that you go all "Masterpiece Theater" on me. And I know that both you and Russ take your jobs quite seriously, as much as you try to keep things light on Escape Radio. I never said that I wanted your show to be the All Things Considered of podcasts. It's just that perhaps I expected that you'd align your editorial voice -- and your show's content -- to be a little more consistent with that of your parent publication. In other words, Gamers With Jobs was a great community. Part of its appeal was its clubby and convivial atmosphere. But the community of readers who frequent The Escapist aren't just the people who hung out at Gamers With Jobs. Many of your current listeners are thought leaders in the industry.

I tried as hard as possible to be even-handed in my assessment. I mean, I liked the work you guys did on the GWJ website and podcast. Which makes the criticism -- not in terms of being critical, but in terms of being evaluative and reflective -- all the harder.

But in the end, I stand by my position: I think the show in its current form hurts The Escapist's brand. And I know I am not alone in feeling this way.

It doesn't help that you publicly attack people without recourse of reply. For my part, I refuse to play the role of op-ed columnist on my show. Um, that's just not what my show -- or Gamasutra -- is about. I know that you and Russ run a very different show, and I have no problem with your format. But sometimes I question your approach.

If I have a problem with what someone in the industry is doing, I would hope that I would have the stones to confront them directly and discreetly about it before blasting them in the public arena. Much as I have done by posting my reply in these forums: I didn't post a snarky review on iTunes Music Store; I didn't sprinkle the bloggosphere with disparaging comments about your show; I didn't use my show as a platform to criticize you publicly. I went to the source and aired my opinions in an appropriate venue.

Why don't you invite American McKee onto your show to ask him about his stance on outsourcing, rather than accuse him of condoning unfair labor practices? That, I would love to hear. Outsourcing is a huge issue in this age of next-gen asset creation. And it would be great to get him to give up his opinions on it. Especially since he's currently overseeing the creation of an oursourcing outfit to Asia. I mean, keep the tone as casual as you want. I struggle at times with my own show being overly serious! If he's as much of an ass as you accuse him to be, ultimately his actions will speak for themselves. But it's hardly fair to represent him that way without giving him an opportunity to reply.

And, I agree with Russ on keeping the comments respectful and constructive. My interest isn't in starting up a tit-for-tat. Because that implies that neither party is interested in establishing a dialog to make the show the best it can be. Normally, I stay out of the posting fray, because it is far too populated by members who only want to engage in flaming each other. But after your second show, I found it hard to sit on my hands. Because I love The Escapist. Also, because I don't believe that all of your targets deserved the treatment they received. And because I want your show to be better.

But, tut-tut... I must retire -- It's time for tea and crumpets. ;)

-Tom

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Shawn Andrich said:
I do feel like the show will shift in tone here and there as we settle in, but it might never completely be the straight-laced, intellectual, monocle wearing, wine sipping Podcast you're hoping for. ;)
Don't worry, man. I got plenty of monocles to go around.

Oh, I say!

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Tom,

You raise a number of interesting points here, and I'm happy to discuss them with you, or anyone really. Up to and including folks in the development circle, some of whom I've heard from already. In fact, we're still actively soliciting developers for interviews and such, and several that I've spoken to have expressed nothing but pleasure at the quality of the program.

As an aside, I am also a bit confused at your apparent disregard for the show, considering the gushingly positive email I received from you a while back, when you were asking for advice regarding music. But I suppose opinions change as I know mine do from time-to-time.

On the subject of American McGee, we have asked him to appear on our program, and last I heard he was considering the request. If he agrees to speak with us, you'll hear it first on Escape Radio.

In regards to the rest of your feedback, my first thought is that you do both yourself and The Escapist a disservice with a number of your accusations. I'm perfectly aware that there is a certain "flavor" to our Escape Radio format, and that this flavor will not automatically appeal to some, but having been in the entertainment media field for over a decade, I am also aware that attempting to please everyone all of the time would be a foolish endeavor. We produce show we believe in, and hopefully others will believe in it too.

That's not to say that we don't welcome criticism and that we won't, over time, adjust the content and tone of the program (as Shawn indicated), but we will do so according to our own interpretation, wishes and talents. Media production is not, and can not be a wholly democratic process. Just as - as I'm sure your developer friends would agree - video game development cannot be.

That said, I recognize that there may be some validity to your assessment of our tone towards certain public figures, and take full responsibility for whatever negative feeling our program may engender. Comparing a program like Escape Radio, however, to a program like All Things Considered, or even the Gamasutra podcast is like comparing apples to oranges. There are many kinds of entertainment programs, and Escape Radio is its own kind - something no one is yet doing with game radio. I believe it's as entertaining as it is informative, and will stand behind the format wholeheartedly regardless of any future changes we may make.

To put this in perspective, any time a media property attempts to change direction or offer something new you will hear a lot of immediate feedback from the "it's more collectible in the original packaging" crowd. While I understand and appreciate the depth of feeling voiced in these pleas, I cannot agree that The Escapist or any other organization can't or shouldn't try new things. Not only is it our right, but it is also our responsibility. As devoted, loyal and vociferous as our die-hard fan-base may be, breaking new ground, and reaching new people must always be a consideration. No media outlet will tell you differently with a straight face, and no media outlet who refuses to do so will survive in the current climate.

I ask that you keep an open mind to our new offerings like Escape Radio, and give them a chance to find their voice and a place in your heart. If, however, you simply cannot abide the tone or style of these products, you may take solace in the fact that you will always have the original magazine to keep you warm on those dark, lonely nights.

Cheers,

Russ Pitts
Associate Editor - The Escapist
Producer - Escape Radio

Aug 22, 2006
Russ-

You raise some valid points.

Fletcher said:
I am also a bit confused at your apparent disregard for the show, considering the gushingly positive email I received from you a while back, when you were asking for advice regarding music.
Hey man, low blow. I sent you a congratulatory email on both your appointment to your position at The Escapist and to inform you that I was looking forward to hearing the program at your new home. If you'd like, I could post the body of the email and let the readers decide if I was being fawning or not for themselves. And to be clear, I wasn't soliciting your advice on that email. If you read it, I was expressing some envy over your access to Ian and Willow Tree. As much as most podcasters don't have the means to get such great original music for their shows. I sent you those emails and typed these postings out of a spirit of respect. Because it bothered me to hear you ripping on people so unfairly. I thought you'd be better than that. And this...

I was just expecting something different than your programming on Gamers With Jobs. I wanted to see if you would take the show anywhere different, but I concede that it isn't fair to compare the show you are actually producing to what I'd hoped you might release.

Fletcher said:
On the subject of American McGee, we have asked him to appear on our program, and last I heard he was considering the request. If he agrees to speak with us, you'll hear it first on Escape Radio.
That's great. Looking forward to hearing you ask him some tough questions.

Fletcher said:
...my first thought is that you do both yourself and The Escapist a disservice with a number of your accusations. I'm perfectly aware that there is a certain "flavor" to our Escape Radio format, and that this flavor will not automatically appeal to some...
Perhaps... Though I'd classify my statements as "opinions" rather than "accusations." And, well, you know that old saw about opinions and assholes as well as I... But how can one be accusatory about tone? As I already stated, it's not very productive to argue about that -- everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I do think I am within the bounds of fairness to express how I feel about how that tone fits under the aegis of your parent publication.

Fletcher said:
Comparing a program like Escape Radio, however, to a program like All Things Considered, or even the Gamasutra podcast is like comparing apples to oranges.
Actually, I'm not comparing Escape Radio to All Things Considered. And I'd be the first to hesitate to put your show up against mine. Heck, when it comes to broadcasting, I'm a rank amateur. I'm responding as a reader of the magazine and as a listener to your programming, as much as someone who happens to also put out a podcast:

Gamasutra Podcast said:
I'm not asking that you go all "Masterpiece Theater" on me. And I know that both you and Russ take your jobs quite seriously, as much as you try to keep things light on Escape Radio. I never said that I wanted your show to be the All Things Considered of podcasts.
Fletcher said:
Media production is not, and can not be a wholly democratic process.
I agree. That way lies the flaccid path to mediocrity.

Fletcher said:
To put this in perspective, any time a media property attempts to change direction or offer something new you will hear a lot of immediate feedback from the "it's more collectible in the original packaging" crowd. While I understand and appreciate the depth of feeling voiced in these pleas, I cannot agree that The Escapist or any other organization can't or shouldn't try new things. Not only is it our right, but it is also our responsibility. As devoted, loyal and vociferous as our die-hard fan-base may be, breaking new ground, and reaching new people must always be a consideration. No media outlet will tell you differently with a straight face, and no media outlet who refuses to do so will survive in the current climate.
Once again, I agree. If you read my earlier postings, that's one of the points I was trying to make: I want to hear you guys try out new things. Not just move your show over from GWJ to The Escapist. Which makes it all the more puzzling to me why you'd rip on Jeff Green on your show for facing the very issues you bring up. Stranger still, considering the much more balanced interview [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/63960] you posted with him. I can't think of a better example to indicate my point on the dissonance in editorial tone, here.

But as you pointed out, adapting your show to make it more like the magazine was never your intention. And it isn't fair of me to assess your show based off of some notion I had regarding what you might, or might not have done with it. On looking over the posts, I guess my position can be crystallized: it's not your casual tone that bothered me as much as how it might come across as unfair or mean-spirited at times, as much as I expect The Escapist to be neither. Some ripping on people between friends is only natural. But I thought that the volume of ripping you were broadcasting to The Escapist's readership on the forum of Escape Radio was inappropriate -- and alienating -- to some members of that community. Yes, I include myself in that number, but I know I'm not alone.

All I ask is that you consider that because of your editorial source, the casual insults you guys take so lightly could actually do some damage to the perception of both The Escapist and to the subjects of your jokes. You might counter that that's ridiculous and that your audience is smarter than that. Probably true, especially with the general readership of The Escapist. But the editorial tone can come across as: "The Escapist's podcast says American McKee condones exploitative labor practices." Of course, that's not really what you're saying (I think...), but even if everyone knows that, it can still rub folks the wrong way because the magazine probably wouldn't print that, even in jest. It just seems out of character. Get what I'm saying?

But at the end of the day, it's loudly and proudly your show. To the point: I am not making any comparison between your show and mine, or any others. I'm not that passive-aggressive. If I thought your show sucked, I would say so. I am just trying to evaluate your show on its own merits. Some of your explanations help me understand your choices. That was my hope in my decision to type my original post. And the risk, because these things so rarely are intended for the purpose of establishing a dialog. So, thanks for the frank and thorough responses from both you and Shawn.

Your concession regarding the treatment of certain public figures on your show is gracious. And, like I said, I'm not unsubscribing yet. Partly because I, for one, would like to hear what American McKee really has to say about outsourcing to Asia.

-Tom

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
Gamasutra Podcast said:
I was expressing some envy over your access to Ian and Willow Tree. As much as most podcasters don't have the means to get such great original music for their shows.
And if there's one thing we should all take away from this dialogue, I think that is it. ;)

Shawn Andrich

Aug 4, 2006
I'm given to understand Willow Tree offers competitive rates too! Ian did a fantastic job on the new GWJ podcast as well :)

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Ian Dorsch said:
Gamasutra Podcast said:
I was expressing some envy over your access to Ian and Willow Tree. As much as most podcasters don't have the means to get such great original music for their shows.
And if there's one thing we should all take away from this dialogue, I think that is it. ;)
You know what they say: It's not who you are, it's who you know. And perhaps how you present yourself. And maybe how much money you have.

Aug 22, 2006
Fletcher said:
You know what they say: It's not who you are, it's who you know. And perhaps how you present yourself. And maybe how much money you have.
True enough. That's what many years' work in the field of broadcasting will get you. That, and some solid experience, which is probably the most valuable thing of all. Well, I take that back: it's who you know, ultimately.

It's just a game podcast, after all... I do really like The Escapist, and I was hearing some less-than-complimentary comments from my buddies in game dev and game journo about your show. Though you probably won't believe me, I actually kinda defended you guys to them. I'm not hatin' you. I'm just holding you to a higher standard.

Gamasutra Podcast said:
All I ask is that you consider that because of your editorial source, the casual insults you guys take so lightly could actually do some damage to the perception of both The Escapist and to the subjects of your jokes. You might counter that that's ridiculous and that your audience is smarter than that. Probably true, especially with the general readership of The Escapist. But the editorial tone can come across as: "The Escapist's podcast says American McKee condones exploitative labor practices." Of course, that's not really what you're saying (I think...), but even if everyone knows that, it can still rub folks the wrong way because the magazine probably wouldn't print that, even in jest. It just seems out of character. Get what I'm saying?
This paragraph clarifies my position in the plainest English. I hope that explains some of it. I don't really know you guys. We don't hang out. We've never split a six pack of good beer. Criticism -- however intended -- is probably best reserved for talks between people who are comfortable with each other, who honestly seek it out from each other, and who are in the right mood to hear it. Not from forum postings on the strangely intimate but impersonal Internet.

So, sorry. Didn't mean to raise any hackles, guys. Well...maybe a little, but only to communicate my point. And I hope you believe me that if I thought you were just a bunch of dicks, I never would've bothered to post in the first place.

You do make me laugh from time to time, and Ian's music rocks. Just try not to piss on folks indiscrimately any more, and we'll call it even.

-Tom

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
Gamasutra Podcast said:
I'm not asking that you go all "Masterpiece Theater" on me.
Actually, I think you SHOULD do this. Just one episode, a christmas holiday special perhaps. If you remember right back to the start of GWJ radio........... man that made me laugh.