Escape to the Movies: A Good Day to Die Hard

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
A Good Day to Die Hard

MovieBob can't quite remember what happens in Die Hard 5.

Watch Video

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
MovieBob said:
Take a wild guess...
It was the greatest movie of all time and you've felt empty ever since knowing you will never see a movie as good as it?

I kid, we all know it was shit...

On topic: But was Live Free and Die Hard as mind meltingly bad as the last one?

Tom Soltis

Mar 1, 2010
I herd this is worst than the last film, Die Hard 4. Check out Brad Jones review of the film. He reviewed it right after he saw it. Other than you take out John character this could been a whole other different movie.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Interesting to note: MovieBob's two favorites were directed by John McTiernan. Who also did Predator and The Hunt For Red October.

So, you know. Maybe there's something to the guy, making him worth employing?
/except for those unfortunate legal troubles...

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
This movie must have gotten very little press, because I didn't realize it was even out this week, and I genuinely love the Die Hard movies. Granted, between this and Brad Jones' review... yeah... I think I'll wait for a rental.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
At the end of Die Hard 5 I was aware that I had seen a movie's worth of stuff but it didn't feel like I watched a movie, if the movie were food I wold say it was only as filling as a small sandwich. My biggest complaint is that it feels like half the movie is missing, we have build up at the beginning and an ending but the stuff in between happens too fast to mean anything. None of the characters are developed as they should be and this is especially true of the villain.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Wow, I never thought about it, but I have seen every single one of those Bruce Willis movies. I really like him as an actor, even if his stuff is mostly niche at this point. I hope I remember more than you. But there are two ways you can experience life. Or, in this case, a movie. There is the experiencing self and the remembering self. Some things are only good in the experience, other things are only good in memory. Climbing Mt Everest, for example, is famous for being a shitty shitty experience, but a great great memory. Somethings make good experiences and memories, like going on a cruise with your family. Some things are good in experience and not so good in memory. I'm hoping this film makes it into the last category. On that note, the while I remember immensely enjoying Live Free or Die Hard, I couldn't tell you the order of events that happened in that movie. I'm hoping for a repeat of that.

Kielgasten

Oct 12, 2009
Aw man! Hudson Hawk is the best!

"God, I miss Communisim.
The Red Threat, people were scared... the agency had some respect, and I got laid every night.
Snickers, brief him. "

:)

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah, it does seem increasingly ridiculous that they're still pretending he's an everyman at this point...

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Die Hard 6:
Same Shit, Different Die Hard

They should hire me to write the next one.
I've already started writing the script for the explosions.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
This sucks, although really isn't surprising. I think my order matches up with Bob's.

Smokescreen said:
Interesting to note: MovieBob's two favorites were directed by John McTiernan. Who also did Predator and The Hunt For Red October.

So, you know. Maybe there's something to the guy, making him worth employing?
/except for those unfortunate legal troubles...
There might also be something to hiring good directors that know action? Instead we get John Moore?

rickynumber24

Feb 25, 2011
piscian said:
Chernobyl isn't Russian :p
You'd be amazed how many people forget that. Also, at one point, an irrelevant character calls it "Ukrainia". I expect better of anyone sent to Russia as a CIA agent.

Other than that, my main thought was, "and now you all get to die horrible tortured deaths of radiation poisoning," because of the explosions near supposed crates of Uranium at the end.

The movie reaches the point of self-parody because the son gets more hurt than the father, consistently.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
This movie was soo bad, i don´t really get why John Mclane was in the movie and why did he insist that he was on a vacation? And there really is something weird about Bruce Willis face in this one, he really does look like Mr Magoo (as they stated in Half in the bag back with their Looper review).

I´m pretty surprised that Bob had anything nice to say about the first car chase in this movie, i thought that was one of the first edited and messy actionscenes i had seen in ages. It´s just plain dreadful and confusing.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Tom Soltis said:
I herd this is worst than the last film, Die Hard 4. Check out Brad Jones review of the film. He reviewed it right after he saw it. Other than you take out John character this could been a whole other different movie.
I've been hearing the same thing, that it was largely dialed in, much like the other movies being done by guys like Stallone and Arnie. On top of that is that these guys are getting old, and that really shows a lot of the time. Not to mention that in SOME cases it's a matter where the actors in question were famous largely for doing science fiction action movies with an intrigueing premise behind them, and this is just generic "modern action" that's built around shooting people rather than having that fit into a scenario where it kind of makes sense.

That said, I think people tend to also overlook the actual high points of these movies. The premise of the Die Hard movie BEFORE this one was banal (the whole "Fire Sale" thing, based on implausible hacking), but for all it's flaws it managed to bring with it a few decent people in support. The fight scene between Bruce Willis and Maggie Q for example is fairly well known, and pretty classic, being a pretty awesome moment. While she did a lot of other stuff, that and being able to hold up a quick victim role/fight scene in "Operation End Game" contributed to her landing her own TV series as the new Nikita which is on it's third season and gives her plenty of oppertunities to show off her abillity with choreography (even if she does use a number of stunt doubles, the passing years did have an effect).

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I rather like the joke when Bruce Willis appeared on the TV show Mad About You where he was making a new movie entitled "Die, Already." Apparently, that's a fitting moniker for the franchise at this point.