Escape to the Movies: Avengers

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm glad they did an awesome job with this movie.

I'm gonna go see it myself tommorow evening and I can't wait!

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
One part really got to me, and everyone in the Audience too.
Agent Coulson....you WILL return! I demand you return!

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
DarkhoIlow said:
I'm glad they did an awesome job with this movie.

I'm gonna go see it myself tommorow evening and I can't wait!
It is worth the 3D experience by the way. The 3D is great. It's a shame Bob didn't mention that for people but felt the need to explain the classic tale of how the Avengers comics came about as useless information for 2 minutes.

ScientificDJ

Aug 17, 2009
Am I the only one who was sorely disappointed with this movie? I thought it was poorly paced and structured, paper thin in the plot department, really wasting potential on what could have been awesome character exploration and interaction, and there was so much gratuitous action without any plot or character weight to carry it.

What exactly is it that everyone loves so much about this movie? I loved what it could and should have been but I've seen it twice and I still feel there was hardly any substance where there should have been an ocean of it. Not to mention the constant annoying tension breaking cheap Joss Whedon one line jokes.

After the trailer and the at first subtle then exciting build up over the years I thought this was going to be a character driven, nuanced story of epic proportions. Instead it was poorly constructed, deep as a puddle and had nothing to make me feel anything but disappointment after building up to this for years. The copious amounts of action and CGI were hardly pieces of cinematic beauty anyway.

Please someone take issue with my disappointment because I would love to vent my frustrations in a debate while finding out why everyone else seems to love this piece of crap.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Saw it again yesterday just because it is that awesome. Perhaps I will even see it a third time.

I could keep watching this movie it is amazing to say the least. Can't wait how they handle Thor 2 and Iron Man. I would love to see how they handle
Thanos needs to steal the Infinity Gauntlet from Odins treasure vault. Perhaps that will happen at the end of Thor 2 or start of Avengers 2.

iLazy

Aug 6, 2011
And I won't be able to see it for a few weeks because I live in a backwater town that's playing Mirror Mirror at the moment...

This hurts me.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Oh my god the movie was so good. Seriously, and that after credits scene was just freaking amazing. I wasn't expecting that. The after-after credits scene (Which has only been released in the U.S.?) is also pretty good. Great movie though.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
In the first issue of the comic series Secret Warriors Nick Fury discovers that S.H.I.E.L.D was in fact set up Hydra and that Hydra had been running it since the beginning. I wonder if we might see a similar revalation with the secret board of shadowy figures

Especially considering
the nuke they sent at New York, which if they were Hydra would both defeat the invading army and kill off the Avengers, giving them the perfect excuse to continue Stage 2 and whatever else they wanted

There isn't much evidence so I wouldn't call it a theory, more a musing or what if?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
A thought regarding the mid credit scene.

I am not a comic book fan, I saw Hulk and Spider Man when they came out and only went to see Ironman after seeing the previews, I knew nothing of The Avengers and the end scene in Ironman, which I thought was great, was interesting but didn't peak my interest though I did recognise that it meant something big was coming. It wasn't until they did the same thing after The Incredible Hulk that I started to gain some interest in what the long term plan was. I didn't see Thor or Captain American at release I did see Iron Man 2 at the cinema though and eventually saw Thor and Captain American on Blu-ray. By now the whole Avengers thing was pretty set and yeah I was interested, but my knowledge of the Avengers universe only extended as far as what I had seen in the movies.

So here's the point, The Avengers was f*cking awesome but that last scene meant nothing to me, I had no idea who the person was. The movies worked nicely for the uninitiated but that end scene was clearly for the fans.

I know now who the person is and what that persons significance is but that's because I had to go and find out via google.

person427

May 28, 2009
arc1991 said:
person427 said:
arc1991 said:
Eamar said:
No way was Wheldon this much of a genius? Surely?
The Justice Friends were supposed to be a parody of the Avengers. Iron Man's counterpart wasn't dexter though, it was Living Bullet.
Yeh i know, but if you look closely, each character has pretty much the exact same pose as there counterpart!

And the fireball hitting the building in pretty much the same area over Captain America and whoever the other guy is!
Oh, I thought someone made the second picture to draw parallels between the characters, not realizing the similarities were intentional. In that case, it is really strange. Perhaps one of the covers for the actual comics was the same?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
person427 said:
arc1991 said:
person427 said:
arc1991 said:
Eamar said:
No way was Wheldon this much of a genius? Surely?
The Justice Friends were supposed to be a parody of the Avengers. Iron Man's counterpart wasn't dexter though, it was Living Bullet.
Yeh i know, but if you look closely, each character has pretty much the exact same pose as there counterpart!

And the fireball hitting the building in pretty much the same area over Captain America and whoever the other guy is!
Oh, I thought someone made the second picture to draw parallels between the characters, not realizing the similarities were intentional. In that case, it is really strange. Perhaps one of the covers for the actual comics was the same?
I know, i remember seeing it as a kid, as i was a big fan of Dexter, and that scene is there somewhere, if it was intentional by Wheldon, then i here by name him the smartest director of all time!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
aegix drakan said:
Merrick_HLC said:
I will agree that scene's probably the weakest in the entire film, but I forgive it simply because it was, to me, an awesome Cap moment.
Followed by an awesome iron man moment. XD
Agreed so hard. And I like that Cap didn't let the modern world overwhelm him too much, because some things never change, and somebody has to punch a would-be world conqueror in the face.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Vault Citizen said:
In the first issue of the comic series Secret Warriors Nick Fury discovers that S.H.I.E.L.D was in fact set up Hydra and that Hydra had been running it since the beginning. I wonder if we might see a similar revalation with the secret board of shadowy figures

Especially considering
the nuke they sent at New York, which if they were Hydra would both defeat the invading army and kill off the Avengers, giving them the perfect excuse to continue Stage 2 and whatever else they wanted

There isn't much evidence so I wouldn't call it a theory, more a musing or what if?
Yeah, that was a way out-of-left-field retcon in the comics. HYDRA (always capitalize) created the organization that routinely beats them up & foils their schemes? That's a very elaborate version of punching yourself in the face.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
I'm actually surprised by how low key this review was. I've heard Bob gush about moives before, and considering how much he's been hyped for this film, I was expecting to hear him have actual Nerdgasms over it.

Then again, he has stated that he thought that Captain America was the best of the individual films (in my opinion, the weakest), so...

I saw this last week, twice, and while I haven't been as invested in the Marvel Movie Universe as some people (I dont care for the comics, tbh) I really really enjoyed this, considering I thought it was going to be a train wreck. If for no other reason that it is an amazing technical achievement.

Does it have flaws? Yes. As Bob states, it feels rushed in the beginning. I felt they could have used another film between Captain America and this, and Hawkeye really needed more set up (Black Widow got a secondary role in Iron Man 2, all he got was a cameo). Whoever decided on the derpy Cap helmet should have been sent back to the drawing board, the whole second act pretty much served no purpose, and some of the dialogue was a little too Whedon, but other than that...

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Laughing Man said:
A thought regarding the mid credit scene.

I am not a comic book fan, I saw Hulk and Spider Man when they came out and only went to see Ironman after seeing the previews, I knew nothing of The Avengers and the end scene in Ironman, which I thought was great, was interesting but didn't peak my interest though I did recognise that it meant something big was coming. It wasn't until they did the same thing after The Incredible Hulk that I started to gain some interest in what the long term plan was. I didn't see Thor or Captain American at release I did see Iron Man 2 at the cinema though and eventually saw Thor and Captain American on Blu-ray. By now the whole Avengers thing was pretty set and yeah I was interested, but my knowledge of the Avengers universe only extended as far as what I had seen in the movies.

So here's the point, The Avengers was f*cking awesome but that last scene meant nothing to me, I had no idea who the person was. The movies worked nicely for the uninitiated but that end scene was clearly for the fans.

I know now who the person is and what that persons significance is but that's because I had to go and find out via google.
Not to be picky but this movie and all of it's predecessors have been for the fans. That's what made them successful, they said "lets make a movie the fans will like based on some of the most popular characters of the most popular comic publishing universe" and not "Lets make a movie like the average action movie and through a comic book character as the main guy"

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Zaul2010 said:
So who did the Aliens turn out to be? (If they are a new thing don't be specific)
Chiauri, which was the Ultimate Universe's name for Skrulls. Because I think Skrulls are tied up with Fantastic Four and Fox. But they had no real Skrull-ish features so really they're just generic aliens.
Laughing Man said:
But surly even for a non-fan, a big purple freaky guy at least makes you go "huh, there will be a sequel".

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
Ugh this movie killed me. KILLED ME. I went to the midnight premiere and then again that Friday evening plus I'm going again tomorrow. This is a movie where I need a bluray like right the fuck now. Bruce and Tony science bro's was the best thing ever, Loki is probably one of my favorite villains of all time, and the entire cast just owns their roles. I loved this movie, it was what I wanted, and I don't know when I'll be able to walk out of the theater without a big stupid grin on my face.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
I liked the part where the movie was playing. o_______o

It was all nerdbait, and I loved every second of it.

*EDIT* Black Widow is someone who I now have to buy all of the merchandise about. x_x Ow, my wallet.

Browncoat86

Mar 27, 2008
omegawyrm said:
I'm surprised no one's talking about how they
killed Agent Coulson. He'd really grown on me over the past few movies and I totally didn't see that coming. It was pretty much the only bit of the movie that genuinely surprised me.

First Star-Burns and now this. Are no tertiary characters safe?
Well, that's one of Whedon's trademarks.

A character rarely develops themselves to the point of "this is what I must do" without having someone that they know die first.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Safaia said:
Loki is probably one of my favorite villains of all time, and the entire cast just owns their roles. I loved this movie, it was what I wanted, and I don't know when I'll be able to walk out of the theater without a big stupid grin on my face.
Sorry, but how could that whiny brat possibly be a favourite villain? He takes orders from some faceless aliens and gets tossed around by individual avengers. His whole motivation is a childhood inferiority complex and some megalomaniacal delusions.