Escape to the Movies: Avengers

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
conflictofinterests said:
I liked the part where the movie was playing. o_______o
Yeah, that was my favorite part of the movie too...

Holy crap that was freaking awesome! I just knew they wouldn't cock it up after all this time. :D

Seeing the Hulk just toss Loki around like a freaking rag doll was just icing on the cake for me, one of the best parts of the movie.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Varya said:
Swedes are normaly quiet in theaters but there were a lot of cheers and laugh at loud moments and was met by applause when the credits rolled.
Same for me except your neighbour country Finland.
I mean in comedies people laugh yes but the amount of laughter and "ooooooooooh yeeeeeeaaaaaaahh" screams and applaus was just freaky. Of course I also got pulled into it...

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
I see a lot of people mentioning names of B-listers that Marvel may be making a movie of next, but I guarantee that they'll get their biggest players back -the X-Men and especially Spider-Man- before they do anything like that. Those two franchises their most popular (prior to the recent string of Avengers-members movies, anyway), and for Spider-Man and Wolverine you have two new Avengers recruits right there. Of course, they have the added bonus of being the most popular and second-most-popular Marvel characters. And those two franchises are the key components of the next big crossover project: Civil War. You need Iron Man, Captain America, and Spidey as the focus, and then you need the idea of "mutantism" (I'm sure there's a term for it in the comics) to explain how this superhuman thing became prevalent enough to warrant public outrage and have enough of them to have an actual war.

We'll have to wait to see what happens with the movies, though. Fox is going to be a real bastard when it comes to getting rights back, and while I envision Sony being easier to obtain from, Marvel will have to wait for the current reboot franchise to have at least had a bit of a run. If TASM flops, then Marvel should be able to get it back then, but if it doesn't, well, Sony already has plans for a sequel.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Merrick_HLC said:
Chaos Marine said:
It's a shame how Marvel fucked over the creators of the original creators of the characters from the Avengers which makes it hard for me to really enjoy this movie.
Co-creators I assume you mean.
Stan Lee is in all the movies so I doubt he feels 'fucked over' and the only character in Avengers he didn't have a hand in creating is Captain America.

Really, and I say this as an at least wannabe writer who is sympathetic to creator's by nature.... I think there's a lot of overstatement of how 'evil marvel' was to creators back in the day.

No one around had any real idea these things would continue on for ages or be having huge blockbusters in 50 years.

Comics were seen as cyclical no one would care about superheroes in another 10 years.
So better a continued check as a writer than permanent royalties for something that wouldn't be worth anything in 20 years.

It's unfortunate that this ended up with guys making far less money in the long run, but it's not like Marvel or DC we're forcing them to give up the rights, they could have gone to some of the many other publishers who did exist at the time and kept the characters they created, though it's unknowable if we'd remember these characters if they had.
Read this. http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/04/18/creator-rights-before-watchmen-avengers-moore-kirby/

Apples_McGrind

Oct 27, 2009
MB202 said:
...Also, I thought Bob's top three superhero movies of all time were Superman, Spider-Man and Watchmen, but now it's The Dark Knight?
I think it was more him acknowledging what the most popular picks for favorite superhero films are, then actually pointing out his favorites. Or I guess he could've re-watched "The Dark Knight" recently and realized that it actually is better than "Watchmen."

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
Vault Citizen said:
In the first issue of the comic series Secret Warriors Nick Fury discovers that S.H.I.E.L.D was in fact set up Hydra and that Hydra had been running it since the beginning. I wonder if we might see a similar revalation with the secret board of shadowy figures

Especially considering
the nuke they sent at New York, which if they were Hydra would both defeat the invading army and kill off the Avengers, giving them the perfect excuse to continue Stage 2 and whatever else they wanted

There isn't much evidence so I wouldn't call it a theory, more a musing or what if?
Yeah, that was a way out-of-left-field retcon in the comics. HYDRA (always capitalize) created the organization that routinely beats them up & foils their schemes? That's a very elaborate version of punching yourself in the face.
I can see the slogan now HYDRA, the ultimate masochists

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Great movie definitely going in my blu-ray collection when it's released.
Also

Someone is getting fucked up in the next Avengers.

Jeyl

Aug 10, 2010
"Ok Marvel. Let's keep this thing going."

An already big sausage fest ensemble and you want more of the same? Come on Bob. Think bigger!

Carnage95

Sep 21, 2009
Absolutely awesome film! The Avengers certainly leaves you wanting for more and also makes the previous solo films even better in my opinion. Everything was close to perfect, sure there are some things to nitpick about but the positives greatly outweigh the negatives. I hope to do a second and perhaps a third viewing when I have the time.

I anxiously wait for Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, Ant-Man (and Wasp) and Dr. Strange to appear on the silver screen!

Congratulations Marvel Studios, you definitely deserve all the money you're currently getting. :D

Mewick_Alex

May 25, 2009
Draconalis said:
The after credits scene for the avengers was the best scene to ever scene in scening history.
Really? That was probably the only disappointing thing about the film for me. Never did like Thanos.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Apples_McGrind said:
MB202 said:
...Also, I thought Bob's top three superhero movies of all time were Superman, Spider-Man and Watchmen, but now it's The Dark Knight?
I think it was more him acknowledging what the most popular picks for favorite superhero films are, then actually pointing out his favorites. Or I guess he could've re-watched "The Dark Knight" recently and realized that it actually is better than "Watchmen."
Given how so many people are coming out of the closet and saying how much they hated the original trilogy and are actually EXCITED for the new movie, I'm guessing that that and Superman are still his top favorite superhero movies and NOT just popular picks, though it that WERE the case, including The Dark Knight as opposed to Watchmen WOULD make sense, seeing as not everyone was on-board saying that movie was awesome.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Mewick_Alex said:
Really? That was probably the only disappointing thing about the film for me. Never did like Thanos.
That was the mid credits scene, not the after credits scene.

Trifixion

Infamous Scribbler
Oct 13, 2009
You know, they probably could've saved themselves a whole lot of trouble with that whole "can't get through the pure-energy force field surrounding the device" problem and prevented the portal from opening in the first place if one of them had just brought along a package of Twinkies. As the following epic tale demonstrates, Cosmic Cub...er...tesseracts...can easily distracted by Twinkies:

Apples_McGrind

Oct 27, 2009
MB202 said:
Apples_McGrind said:
MB202 said:
Given how so many people are coming out of the closet and saying how much they hated the original trilogy and are actually EXCITED for the new movie, I'm guessing that that and Superman are still his top favorite superhero movies and NOT just popular picks, though it that WERE the case, including The Dark Knight as opposed to Watchmen WOULD make sense, seeing as not everyone was on-board saying that movie was awesome.

Are people really saying that they "hated" the original Spider-Man trilogy now?! I know the third one isn't very good, but that's kind of depressing. They kind of rewrote the genre.

And that new Spider-Man movie seems really iffy.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Mewick_Alex said:
That was probably the only disappointing thing about the film for me. Never did like Thanos.
Thanos is cool and all, but like... Hello? Kang the Conqueror? Ultron? Red Skull? Dr. Doom? The Leader? Mandarin? M.O.D.O.K? COME ON GUYS

But to be fair, Thanos is the definitive Marvel Crossover villain.

Apples_McGrind said:
Are people really saying that they "hated" the original Spider-Man trilogy now?! I know the third one isn't very good, but that's kind of depressing. They kind of rewrote the genre.

Did they? I guess I was too young to appreciate that, but as a kid I always found the movies mediocre and they only got worse as I grew up.
Those movies had none of the character-driven drama tied into the action that is so compelling about Spider-man.
Plus, they were ridiculously campy. Re-watching them makes that clear. They just didn't take the source material seriously enough. And I always hated Toby McGuire (McGuire? MacGuire? Eh) as Peter Parker.
Oh, and Spiderman had all the wit and charisma of the annoying twelve year old in the cinema who had too much sprite and keeps making comments to impress his friends.
Spiderman is supposed to be funny in an insolent sort of way, while masking his genuine fear with humour, not... a douche.

And I have really high hopes for Amazing Spider-man. But that's me.

... When did I start ranting about Spider-man?

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Apples_McGrind said:

Go to any trailer posted on youtube and you'll see comments about how this one will be better because it's truer to the comics, because apparently the FOUNDATION of Spider-man as a character was always mechanical webshooters and making wisecracks, and not the whole balancing superheroing with normal teenager stuff, and that great power, great responsibility stuff that the Raimi movies focused on (first two anyway), that stuff isn't important at all.

Anyway, can only wonder where the Marvel movies will go from here. To early to jump into the Civil War, though that's the one of the biggest profile crossover events. Secret Wars maybe (first one)?

Slash Joel

Apr 7, 2011
This in my opinion is the greatest of all Comic book movies and is now my favorite movie of all times.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Apples_McGrind said:
MB202 said:

Well, that's the way it seems. Whenever I bring up those movies, they all talk about everything that was wrong with them and how they look forward to the remake, like Sony is actually making that movie because they fully intend to meet the demands of the fans and not their own agendas.

And yeah, I don't like the way the new movie looks, the focus on Peter Parker's parents, Spider-Man's costume doesn't look NEARLY as awesome as the original trilogy's, the Lizard also looks dumb, and... well, I just didn't really see the point. The third movie, IMO, wasn't THAT bad, and it CERTAINLY didn't warrant rebooting the entire series.