Escape to the Movies: Bad Lieutenant

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Very quickly, in no particular order:

"Invictus" is very solid and very much worth seeing.

"Fantastic Mr. Fox" is a masterpiece, and easily one of Anderson's 2 or 3 best movies.

"Avatar" comes out next week.

If you really want to see what Nicolas Cage is capable of, or why he became an in-demand star in the first place, you really need to take Chris Griffin's advice and see "Leaving Las Vegas."

Bilbo536

Sep 24, 2009
Skunktrain said:
I might be in the wrong place to say this but I don't like Nick Cage. I find him to be flat, uninteresting to watch, and highly over-rated. I have enjoyed two movies with him in major roles: Peggy Sue Got Married and The Rock (which I attribute to Sean Connery who made a movie starring Alec Baldwin enjoyable). I have never watched a movie with Cage that I walked away thinking Cage was an asset to the film, although I believe many of his films were beyond hope before he got involved. I'm sure there will be no end to people that will unreservedly tell me why and how much they disagree with me but every time I hear how much Nick Cage makes on a film my first thought is "That much money and they couldn't hire a talented performer? Or feed starving children in Africa?"
I totally agree with your views about Nick Cage. Easily my least favourite actor. Until he realizes that he, along with the rest of the human race, has the ability to control his facial features to show emotion/feeling and that he is not bound to speak in an endless monotone, I will continue to regard his acting skills' levels of suckage are on par with that of Shaquille O'Neil.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I haven't seen a single trailer for this movie, and didn't even know it existed until this review. I may have to check it out, just because it sounds completely whacked out. And noboy does completely whacked out better than Nick Cage.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Not too long ago, Nicolas Cage appeared in an awful lot of high profile movies in a short time frame, so I called it Nicolas Cage Syndrome.

Christian Bale suffered from it earlier this year, George Clooney has it now and Sam Worthington is not too far off.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
MovieBob said:
Very quickly, in no particular order:

"Invictus" is very solid and very much worth seeing.

"Fantastic Mr. Fox" is a masterpiece, and easily one of Anderson's 2 or 3 best movies.

"Avatar" comes out next week.

If you really want to see what Nicolas Cage is capable of, or why he became an in-demand star in the first place, you really need to take Chris Griffin's advice and see "Leaving Las Vegas."
Dear movie bob what the hell is that film with Nick cage as ambulance driver hows is a bit werid ?

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
"Shoot him again."
"What for?"
"His soul is still dancing. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

I am sooo seeing this film.

0megaZer0

Jun 26, 2009
woah, woah, WOAH.

he DID NOT just call The Blindsied crap, did he?

I was tolerant over his bile about transformers, but how can anyone be against THE BLINDSIDE??

it was downright OUTSTANDING... If that's really his oppinion o it, I may have to stop being a fan of movieBob... an I'm a pretty big fan...

c0rzilla

Oct 22, 2008
So, does Bob not reply to messages? Recommended a film (not to review, I know he's busy) but I never got a response. Just wondering if I did a big no-no, trying to communicate with the big Escapist personnel.

Sep 17, 2009
This movie looks interesting actually.

I say "actually" because Nicholas Cage is a god-awful actor. He didn't save Ghost Rider, Next, or National Treasure like you said, he made it worse.

But I will see this movie, because I love it when I'm proven wrong about an actor I think is bad.

Also, you said "what other actor could play opposite their own iguana?" (paraphrase)

Well I'd have to say: Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Sam Rockwell, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Jeff Bridges, Kevin Spacey, Benicio Del Toro, Javier Bardem, Edward Norton, and a few more could probably play "opposite to their own iguana."

But it seems interesting, and I usually agree with your reviews so I will check it out.

Thanks.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
c0rzilla said:
So, does Bob not reply to messages? Recommended a film (not to review, I know he's busy) but I never got a response. Just wondering if I did a big no-no, trying to communicate with the big Escapist personnel.
Bob responds when he can, though occasionally the work does tend to pile up ;)

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
chickenlord said:
BTW. that one lizard wasnt an iguana twas a bearded dragon! get it right! =P
Every review I've seen refers to Cage seeing hallucinatory iguanas, as they show that very dragon on screen. I'm guessing it's from the script and Herzog put a Bearded Dragon in its place to add visual interest. Iguanas aren't nearly as ferocious a vision as Dragons.

MovieBob said:
The Infamous Scamola said:
Bad Lieutenant (1992)... overrated? This version... worth watching? Yeah, that's your credibility gone down the drain, B.
Yeah... I kinda figured I was playing with a little bit of a fire bringing that up, but I've been waiting almost two decades to say this in some kind of professional capacity: The original IMO isn't all that good. The central performance by Keitel is MAGNIFICIENT, one for the ages, some of his best work ever as an actor (and thats saying something) but the movie in which it occurs in is an episodic, nonsensical mess. I get that Ferara is working out his issues, and that's fine, but it's all so random, pointless and yet insistent that it's "about" something. Cage's turn in the new one is a different animal than Keitel's, and it's not quite as "where did THAT come from?," but the movie around it is a lot more complete and satisfying.
OK that seems perfectly sensible. I recall Siskel and Ebert said something similar, that the movie was a must see based on Keitel's performance. Glad to see you're representing your opinion of the movies rather than the stars' performances in them.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
dubious_wolf said:
who thinks nicholas cage could be the next joker?
Nope. Nicholas Cage as The Riddler. I personally hope that, if the Joker makes another appearance, that it will be limited to something similar to The Scarecrow's appearance in Dark Knight, AKA a transitionary cameo.

cheevocabra

May 23, 2009
Sarah Silverman as dressed as Wonder Woman? Now why'd you have to go and expose my secret fantasy? :/