Escape to the Movies: Black Swan

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Heh heh nice setup there :D. Definitely looking forward to this, can't wait to see this once finals are over

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
The busy part of me would never go see a movie for two actors going at it. I'm always composing and creating stuff. So "sexy" scenes are always met with "meh" to me. And lesbians do nothing for me at all. At all. ' -'

However~ the concept of art versus self and the horror aspect in a ballerina affair intrigues me greatly. And I love plot-insanity. Consider me sold!

EDIT: Oh, and the accent was fine. Better than what I could do - and it'll be just as interesting to see how well others here could do, if you know what I mean. :3

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
LOL Bob. Its not sexist to talk about sex in a movie and the relevance of it to the plot. It's sexist when YOU!(double underline) talk about sex. Mostly because your obsession with lesbians is getting creepier over time.

Aug 25, 2009
My issue is not that there is sex in the movie, my issue is not that for some movies the only reason to see it is the sex.

My issue is that I thought for a moment you had managed to deliver a really good review. You listed the reasons it was good, you gave justification for seeing it, portrayed the movie for what it was without the cheap pandering.

And then you spent two minutes going over the cheap pandering. By your own admission this movie is so much more, and either a short review (that posh bit at the beginning was flawless) or as a long review extolling its virtues, yuo never needed to mention the lesbians.

Poor effort. Please, next time, stop making jokes revolving entirely around sex and how hot or not the main actress is. How about doing a film which only has guys in or soemthing?

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
I think you'll find most people are annoyed when you mention sexuality in a review usually because it has no purpose to the review, yes you mentioned it here but from what I can tell it is an intrinsic part of the story and as such is a legitimate aspect. Usually you just go "ooh look, hooters! schwing!"

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Interesting way of things happening here. I was a bit thrown off by the whole accent thing at the beginning there but in the end it was still a good watch.

May 17, 2010
Why is lesbianism seen as hot? Despite being a straight male I never saw it. Yeah it's kinda hot but certainly not the holy grail that Bob makes it out to be. And Portman hottest girl in Hollywood? Not to me, but then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm not sure if I will see it. I don't like horror but the themes Bob mentioned sound interesting.

Cameron Sours

May 2, 2010
I heard part of Terry Gross' interview with Natalie Portman about this movie. I must have missed the part about all the psychological horror. I did not miss the part about Mila Kunis. Yes Please!~!

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Yes, I was floored by the set-up and the reveal. Yes, I completely understand why you took those final two minutes to destroy the commen misconceptions about "women getting it on scenes". Yes, I agree with you.

Maybe, I'll go see Black Swan. Just two things are stopping me. 1] My hatred of horror movies. Yeah, I'm a huge baby. I don't care! 2] It's not out in the UK until... I have no idea when!

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Glad to hear that it's a good movie, because the TV spots haven't given me even a faint clue as to what it's about.

Also, I was expecting a review of Warrior's Way since I was thinking about going to see it tonight. Is the movie not surprising enough to review? By that I mean, does it deliver exactly on the things we expect from the previews? If so, I could see you skipping a review of it.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
The first time I heard of this film was a somewhat surreal art deco-style poster. The thing that drew me however was the small print "from the director of Requiem for a Dream and The Wrestler"... sold.

jackanderson said:
Maybe, I'll go see Black Swan. Just two things are stopping me. 1] My hatred of horror movies. Yeah, I'm a huge baby. I don't care! 2] It's not out in the UK until... I have no idea when!
If it has a similar release to the Wrestler then expect in January for the UK. I don't understand release dates sometimes. Seriously, we only JUST got Machete.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
The problem is, Bob, that you have established a pattern of treating sex in an utterly puerile way.

Why, exactly, should we give your opinion regarding the sexual aspects of movies any credence now? When it comes to your reviews, it's a fairly reasonable guess that if it involves an attractive female in revealing or suggestive outfits, or outright nudity, you're probably going to pretty much say "OOOHH! BOOBIES!"

Omgsarge

May 11, 2009
Come on bob, you know why people complain about it. When the movie is horrible and the only reasons you say it is good are a few sexy scenes of a hot chick people raise an eyebrow. Even if a bad movie has one redeming thing (explosions, sex or sex) it still is a bad movie. Is transformer suddendly good jsut because Megan Fox is in it? It would be the same thing.
The thing is, you generally have a good taste in movies as you demonstrated today and not somebody who exclusively goes for the T and A (at least I hope not :p). I think people are just a little tired of your reasoning: "there are hot chicks, go for it!" I'm not saying that you should refrain from doing it, it is just better if it is a side dish instead of the main dish. ;)
I liked you since your Gameoverthinker days bob. Don't get weak now! :)

Oh, thank you for making me aware of this movie.

Electric Gel

Mar 26, 2009
You seem like a nice enough bloke, but something about your reviews really rub me the wrong way. It always feels as if your talking down to your audience, instead of experiencing the films along with them.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Both Portman and Artonofsky have deserved Oscars for so long. I hope this is the film to do it.