Escape to the Movies: Black Swan

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Even if this wasn't the most entertaining review you've done yet, you sold me with one line:

"Clint Mansell's score, which deftly reworks Tchaikovsky's original score into an appropriately deranged form."

BOOYAH! Both my inner classical music geek and my inner soundtrack geek are making the Beast with Two Backs right now!

And why not bring up the sexy stuff, if it's actually integral to the story? The sex scene in Enemy at the Gates was one of the hottest I've ever seen, and not only because of Rachel Weisz.

se7ensenses

Jun 10, 2009
If it did win best picture it would be a 1st for the genre since Silence of the Lambs. Looking forward to this film!

00m

Jun 28, 2009
Bob, I know that the sex scene is not objectifying, but I have been told (by the Nation) that this has the same sub-text as Carie: virgin girl repressed by mother is punished for coming out by loosing her mind. is that subtext there? If it is that makes this movie no better than Twilight.

Mattteus

May 1, 2009
someone mentioned that a lot of the tension in it is reminiscent of a Polanski film. That + 'Cronenberg' x 'Aronofski' = I HAVE to see this!

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
When I saw the little thumbnail, I thought this was going to be Bob reviewing an arthouse movie they probably would only show in certain cities or something. (I hadn't heard anything about this movie beforehand, probably because of school) Then professor Bob mentions Requiem for a Dream's Darren Aronofsky, and I immediately transfered to "Ohh, this is going to be one of those mindfuck movies."

And apparently it is.

I personally don't think you should see a movie just for one aspect of it; because that is usually the justification given by someone who realizes without that one aspect, the movie would be terrible...or at least nothing special. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World having all that video game stuff made it better, but it would have still been a good movie without all that video game stuff. I think Bob's point is Black Swan has a whole bunch of good stuff and Natalie and Mila's scene. Hope that's right once I see it.

VanillaBean

Feb 3, 2010
Wow I'm excited. Was expecting Warriors Way but now I really want to check this out. thanks Bob.

Also Escapist Bob goes all crazy with the lesbien stuff because thats his trademark. He gave a good review so lets just let him have his moment since it is his trademark. Plus he made a whole intermission dedicated to stuff in films he loves to see, and he gives a pretty reasonable reason fof his joy of lesbien sex scenes.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
I'm definitely chacking this onr out. I have really enjoyed all of Aronofskys movies so far.

Too bad they didn't screen Warriors Way to critics early.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So, another "cult classic 'cause of hot lesbo scene", aye?

...I'll watch it online.

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
still have 48 days until i can see it -_-
ahhh well, me and my cinema buddy will see it to celebrate the aftermath of our exams :)

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
I would like to see the movie

but it has limited release and for the moment I cant confirm if it will show in Sweden or not

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Interesting review and I personally didn't mind the accent, it was quite funny old chap.

Looks like a film I should look into though, I haven't heard of it until this review.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
00m said:
Bob, I know that the sex scene is not objectifying, but I have been told (by the Nation) that this has the same sub-text as Carie: virgin girl repressed by mother is punished for coming out by loosing her mind. is that subtext there? If it is that makes this movie no better than Twilight.
There's not a lot I can say about that without spoiling pretty much the entire thing, but my shorthand response there would be A.) I think that interpretation is a HUGE reach, and B.) The Nation's film critic seems to have completely missed the point of "Carrie."

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Well, to me it's not that I can't agree with you, but more the fact that that's why you see every movie apparently and it's getting to be a little weird.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
I would love to see it.... BUT IT'S NOT BEING FUCKING RELEASED ANYWHERE NEAR WHERE I LIVE!!! Seriously first Buried didn't get released in Florida and now Black Swan. Last year Moon wasn't released here either. And it's not like we don't have movie theaters that don't pander to the independent films, it's just that they never release the movies that matter. Goodbye Black Swan, make way for the Warrior's Way and other horrid movies.