Escape to the Movies: Book of Eli

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Shame...was hyped about the machete melees under a highway overpass in post-apocalyptia.

But having it set in such a sorry pretense as a Bible-babysit on the way to the Promised Land does hurt the characters and definitely their motivations a bit.

Tenrin

Nov 7, 2009
The first MovieBob review to disappoint me. Probably beaten like a dead horse but "It's bad because it's Christian" for 4 minutes isn't very informative.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Wait!.... isn't that fallout 3, just with a much more badass main character?

hero21b

May 8, 2009
Am I the only person that liked this movie? Can no one enjoy a story that just gives you the meaning straight-faced, and tells its story? Don't say it was boring either- cars blew up, and there were awesome fighting scenes.

hero21b

May 8, 2009
Badassassin said:
i just saw it and i fucking loved it...
i don't even give a crap that it was a samey apocalypic movie... seeing the trailer what else was i expecting.
But i was surprised because i only saw the short trailers, so the fact that the book was a bible (not a dumbass, just saw the short trailers) was a great twist on what i thought would just be a same old apocalypic "at each others throats" movie.
and i thought bob did a bad job with this review... he just bashed that it was about religion and philosophy well if that's true why did u see it if you were going to just not stand the religious tone. and besides it wasn't preachy about it. it focused so much more on the social impact that religion has.

over all i was very disappointed by this review, i mean he only complained and didn't speak on denzel's good silent actions, cause he had very little lines for a while in the beginning and it was just phenominal acting
I loved this movie too *high five*

paralost

Aug 7, 2009
man fucking called it. as soon as i saw the trailer for this film i was like "watch the book just be a bible" that is terribly disappointing. man called it fucking called it... in fact:

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: 25GP "FUCKIN' CALLED IT"

gremily

Oct 9, 2008
Oh no a movie that involves Christianity that automatically means it's going to be bad. T_T

^Sarcasm
*I won't read any quotes that I get in my mail. I'll just delete them because I simply won't care about what you atheists have to say. So yeah fuck off.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Baby Tea said:
I had no intention of seeing this film.
And now that Moviebob has explained the plot, I really want to.

The idea sounds good to me!
I'll be takin' the wife next week!
I feel the same way, minus the whole wife thing.

Honestly, knowing that Denzel is going to be tearing through towns in order to just take the last Bible somewhere sounds pretty cool to me. I really don't understand what the big deal is about all the hate on this plot...there have been way worse, and I don't think its even really that bad.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
solidstatemind said:
HyenaThePirate said:
Leodiensian said:
Hyena, Moviebob's complaint wasn't that the Book of Eil was a Bible; he mentioned how it could be awesome and still have a Bible. His problem was that it was handled in an unimaginative, predictable way. As in, "if you've seen a trailer for this movie, or even just know the title, and haven't figured out that it was a Bible, you might want to remove yourself from the gene pool".

Speaking as an atheist, I have no problem with including religious messages in movies, but as long as it's done well and not just pointless moralising - which you could get from any nutjob with a cardboard sign boycotting funerals - that uses the rest of the movie as an excuse to exist. Including God, as Bob says, as an active participant rather than just an abstract concept occasionally referred to, kind of removes the tension.

I'm probably not going to see this film; I think I'm apocalypsed-out for now. After Fallout and so on, it seems almost everything takes place in the ruins of a deceased civilisation. There's probably some really interesting sociological points to be made about our modern fixation with the end of the world, like that maybe on some level we're all anticipating the fall of the Western Empire or something, but I'm not in the mood for that right now. I want some entertainment that's actually entertaining.
I didnt take that away from the review the way you did. I heard someone rant on for about 3 and a half minutes about how the fact that GOD was involved in the plot and not in some sort of metaphorical sense completely ruined the film for him. I'm going to have to see it myself to really make a determination, but honestly, just because GOD tells him to go do something and it's ACTUALLY GOD TELLING HIM to go do it, so he goes to DO it isn't going to ruin the movie for me.

It's like they say, it's not the destination it's the journey, and the movie seems to serve up enough emotional images of a torn asunder world, a desolate, violent and brutal existence for the survivors, and genuinely exciting action sequences, and frankly, that alone would be enjoyable. I wouldn't care one bit if at the end of it all, he reaches a door in the middle of the desert, walks through and ends up at the pearly gates with Ernest Borgnine playing Saint Peter going "Ah, about time you arrived, let me welcome you to heaven!"..

I don't need some deep philosophical ending where the book turns out to be something OTHER than exactly what it's said to be, and a twist ending where it turns out that everything we learned about the main character is not what it seemed. Just like I'm not going to flock to see it just because it praises GOD, yippeee!

It just looked like a cool movie and lord knows, I've tossed away money on other movies with less substance (Transformers, Terminator Salvation..). I think I could still enjoy this.
Of course it's not the first time Movie Bob and I have been at odds on a film.. I thought the Road was great and Punisher War Zone was as terrible as Hitman.

Perhaps if he had concentrated on the film itself, and exercised his vast knowledge of cinema to point out flaws that brought the movie down, but the only thing I took away from this review about why it's a bad movie is because it involved a "REAL BIble" and "God".
He never really gets into WHY the characters don't work, NOTHING about the camera work, little description of the action sequences, the art style, the atmosphere, the dialogue, the on-screen chemistry of the actors, the set pieces.. you know, the stuff a movie SHOULD be based on. Instead we get "He carries a bible cause GOD told him too! This movie is crap! Who would do something so stupid as to have FAITH in an apocalypse?!"

Like someone else said earlier, it smacks of elitism and an obvious disdain for Religion and anyone "stupid enough" to believe in them.
I am speechless (which really is something for me)!

This; this; a thousand times this.

Kudos, HtP, you have stated what I was thinking much more succinctly than I could've. I salute you, sir!
I'm going to have to agree with this as well. To the fullest extent of my agreeing abilities.

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
W/e I enjoyed the movie. Did a lot better with the whole post-apocalyptic genre than The latest terminator movie did.
I really shouldn't rant, you have a lot more credibility than I do obviously but meh.

It's similarities to other stories is the same situation Avatar had if you think about it.

Why, just because the movie portrays a character that is motivated by his faith in god is it automatically deemed shallow and short sighted?

What did you expect? him to have some magical formula written down for Mountain Dew and he was going to find some crazy Island where he brewed Ice cold dew and had sex with young women for the rest of his days?

Is it really so bad for someone to do something purely based of faith?

....I want a Mountain Dew now.

Edit: I didn't read a lot of the other comments till now, glad there's some people that agree with me.

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
To all the people who seem to think that his complaints were based around God being in it:
You're very clearly missing the point. God/Religion being in it doesn't destroy a movie, really stupid philosophy and moralizing ruin a movie (for the absolute worst example of this, go check out an extremely shitty movie entitled Fireproof, starring Kirk "Crocaduck" Cameron.)
Movies with religious moralizing can be fine as long as that moralizing in unique and actually deep, with Saved! and Bruce Almighty being the examples of that. Both of them involved religion (the second had God directly in it) and both had religious moralizing, but both of them took the time to make that moralizing interesting and actually worth thinking about.

Venatio

Sep 6, 2009
Who was the targetted audience for this again? Honestly, that had to be the worst religious set up for a movie I have ever heard of.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
MovieBob said:
Book of Eli

This week MovieBob throws the book at Eli.

Watch Video
I am an atheist so I look at Holy texts like the Bible as just a bunch of old, often horrific and violent stories. That said the idea of God making someone wander a post apocalyptic wasteland tends to be his/her/it's(?) motive of operandi.

I feel the reason why so many artist use the Bible for reference is the fact that much of the symbolism of it is widely known even by non believers. In Japan angels and crosses are very prominent in their arts not because they believe but because they like how it looks while in China Christmas is very popular as a secular holiday.

On a final mote thanks for seeing the "Steel Dawn" influence, like his holey sword, it' hit me immediately after seeing the trailer.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
What I don't get is that he (MovieBob) defended genre cliches for 2012 and then criticizes this movie for indulging in its own genres cliches.

What was the exact quote Bob? "That would be like criticizing a western for having horses" I think it was.

To kill the argument of "2012 had a better premise" before it happens. How is "All the unfounded apocalypse theories all come true for no real reason" a better premise than "A guy defends the Bible because he thinks God wants him to?"

And @Rigs83

The horrifically violent bits are the most awesome parts of that book. How can you not enjoy stories about two bad asses summoning bears and zombies to kill smart-alecky kids and foreign armies? (Bears killed the kids Zombies killed the armies I think)

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
It wouldn't be bad if there was more self-examination and depth into... something! But no this guy carries a book across a massive wasteland killing dudes who get in his way because he has faith in his god. That's it. Whole movie right there.

Give us something to examine, something to think about and come to conclusions on. Otherwise it starts to come across as spirtual Veggietales bullshit that often gets defended with the excuse "because it has god as a major influence that's why people hate it."

I liked the villain character who wanted the bible for his own purposes, go into more detail on that on how the last book could be used in this circumstance and the fight to keep it away without going against the very lessons it attempts to teach. But the god of the moment telling some guy to carry a book no questions asked? Not interesting.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
I liked the movie, the fact that god was in it really doesn't bother me, I thought it had a good story and the book being the bible was not the twist, that doesn't come until the end

Simon Hadow

Mar 12, 2009
I just saw it, and liked it. Yeah, it lays out that he's being led by god, but it also lays out that he might just be a voice hearing weirdo. And, I don't beleive that 100% of the people that god has had an influence on have had happy endings. Hear of Jhon the Baptist? Multiple Martyr saints? Also, how does the "Big Reveal" make things irrelevant?