Escape to the Movies: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Dark and Action-Packed

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Dark and Action-Packed

MovieBob checks out the latest Marvel film featuring The First Avenger - and it's really, really good.

Watch Video

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Good review, Bob. I agree with a lot of points you made.

On the whole, this film seems to have been timed perfectly with the NSA scandal nowadays and the government wire tapping everyone's phones and whatnot. I'm still amazed the guys behind the dreck You, Me and Dupree managed to direct this great film.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I keep being surprised by how much I like Captain America.

I knew nothing about him before the first film and made all the negative assumptions about him that you might expect a generally left-learning Brit to make about a superhero who wears an American flag as his costume.

"Captain America" was my favourite of the pre-Avengers Marvel movies and the Winter Soldier might end up as my favourite of the "phase 2" Marvel movies.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Judging from the other reviews I've read of this movie (notable Devin Faraci's review on Badass Digest) I knew you were gonna like this one before I even saw your review.

Still a good review, and I eagerly await seeing the film tonight.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I loved this movie for so many reasons but one of the best parts of the movies for me was a blink or you miss it, one line of dialog where someone actually name droped Doctor Strange. The fanboy in me went crazy.

Plus the movie has actualy got me watching Agents of Shield again which is no small feat.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Right now, America kind of needs Captain America right now. Especially in light of recent events where the government is being picked apart, traded and sold of piecemeal to anyone with a fat enough checkbook.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I'm going to see Winter Soldier this afternoon. I so rarely drag my big ass out to the cinema, it's kind of a rare occurrence. The last time being Avengers, this kind of makes it seem cyclical.

All that said, it's nice to be able to kinda geek out about movies again. After Star Wars went sour, Spider-man 3, then I lost interest in X-Men (i.e. the tales of Wolverine). It's nice to have a series that seems to be doing everything right.

Edit: After going to see the movie today, I just have one spoiler-free thing to say: There simply is no more baller a move that Cap kicking the shield up onto his forearm. It seriously never gets old.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier last night and I had a blast. While some may bemoan the loss of the original film's lighter tone, Cap 2 is an action-packed thriller that still has moments of levity and some major points where everything we thought we knew about the Marvel Cinematic Universe gets turned on its ears. I'd like to offer my thoughts on the fallout of this movie, but it's going to require a separate message thread with massive spoiler warnings and safeguards. Bottom line, Cap 2 is a great kickoff to the spring/summer movie season.

Also, stay through the credits. But, given that Marvel has been doing a lot of these post-credit stingers, its become mandatory.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'll probably go and see this tomorrow, been looking forward to it and this review almost pumps me up for leaping off my chair to go to it.

Windu23

Aug 6, 2008
I still haven't watched Agents of Shield because I work that night, don't have a DVR, and have bad memories of dealing with ABC's video player trying to watch Castle a couple years ago.

Anybody familiar with Captain America outside of the film universe already knows who The Winter Soldier is, but I appreciate Bob's spoiler free review. The actions aren't the spoilers, but the reasons behind the actions are. The trailers already spoil the whole "who's good, who's bad" angle of the movie, and I think they show TWS' face a few times.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I saw this last week, and I'll probably go see it again this week. Its nice to see Cap putting all those superhuman powers and skills to use in this one. Its also nice to see a shield becoming and offensive weapon too.

I really enjoyed this one.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
The choreography in this movie is AMAZING! the best in marvel movies so far, and the car chase scene with nick fury made me forgot the breathe. And captain america feel more like superman than superman, I'm talking about what he stands for and how he's portray in the movie; justice and freedom without pretense and the dull moments.

Rabidkitten

Sep 23, 2010
Bob liked a Marvel comic movie? Color me amazed! Really I don't even need to watch these videos because I can ESP out the conclusion.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
The Marvel films are the only things I will drag my arse out to the cinema for. I saw this last week (GO EUROPE!!) and to be honest I wish they'd gone further into the 70's conspiracy/spy thriller side and had less punchy kicky moments. Also, I wish you hadn't mentioned the fact there's a twist 1/2 way through Bob. I went in not knowing the cast list or the fact it was in there and it was great.

The idea that Zolof was still "Alive" and Hydra had been working behind the scenes was a fantastic twist I wasn't expecting as I was expecting it to just be more of a straight internal fight then anything else.

Gizmo1990 said:
Plus the movie has actualy got me watching Agents of Shield again which is no small feat.
I'm going to be watching again to see how they play things out as straight off the bat it gives a new spin on why Fury set the team up in the 1st place. Sadly, while the destruction of SHIELD could be the shot in the arm from a narrative standpoint the show needs, I don't have a great deal of confidence that they'll be able to pull it off.

Finally, the showing I went to had a trailer for Transcendence [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2209764/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_7] before it. Intentional attempt to spoil the twist or entertaining coincidence?

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
ExtraDebit said:
And captain america feel more like superman than superman, I'm talking about what he stands for and how he's portray in the movie; justice and freedom without pretense and the dull moments.
Well that's sad.

And good, I may see it with my dad. Along with The Raid 2 this month (?)

webby

Sep 13, 2010
Water is wet, the sky is blue and Bob heaps glowing praise upon another Marvel film. I swear this is like the 3rd film to be classed as "the best non-Avengers Marvel film" and since one of them was Iron Man 3 (which was pretty terrible) the words have began to lose all meaning.

SargeSmash

Oct 28, 2013
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Why bring up Bush? Obama has been in charge for 5 years (longer than the USA fought in WWII) and things have only gotten worse.
Kind of my thinking as well. Or if you're going to put up pictures, throw up an image of both Pres. Bush and Pres. Obama. As it is, it really betrays the reviewer's political leanings. (Which is totally okay, I get it, but it also feels completely unnecessary.)

I'm definitely excited to go see this, though, and I really hope it lives up to the review!

el_emmens

Mar 23, 2009
if I didn't have work tonight, or tomorrow, nor did I have a prior appointment with Vince McMahon and a bunch of guys in tights this sunday I would be watching it this weekend.

Spankable

Apr 8, 2009
nice spoiler free review, so going to see it tonight.

Who's not in the damn poster?, not sure who bob meant.
if its that Sir Ian McKellen is more predominant?, well he's far more recognizable.

on that subject, just a tip for the Americans, check out - Vicious - with Sir Ian McKellen if you can find it, funniest TV of last year.