Escape to the Movies: Comic-Con 2010

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Comic-Con 2010

This week MovieBob takes a look at news and events from Comic-Con 2010

Watch Video

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
I managed to see that Thor trailer from not so legit sources and I have to say that it's pretty dang amazing. Although the story doesn't quite have that epic feel to it.

Anyhoo, WHOO, COMIC-CON. It was great. News wise, that is.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
What!? I missed where they said Brave and the Bold was canceled! Well that sucks.

Cool episode. I was kinda hoping that you would take time to review another DVD release, namely, Batman: Under the Red Hood.

Artemus_Cain

May 20, 2009
Still sucks about Ed Norton, but hey what are you gonna do? Still not sure about Joss Whedon, though. Never really liked Buffy, but I did like Serenity.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Am I the only one who's disappointed aboot Whedon? Sure he's good at what he does, but that is not doing films like the Avengers. Let him go back to space cowboys with quirky personalities, as that's what he does well. Besides; the dude hasn't been good since (However long ago Dr. Horrible came out as it's what he did before he decided to start on DollHouse.)
Couldn't they get Jon Favreau, Brian Singer, or the dude who directed Kickass instead? (He seems good at adapting Millar's work, since the Ultimates is where all the best material is)

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Brave and the Bold and Green Hornet are victims of the same problem, they have fun, camp and colour. I can tell you right now Green Hornet will NOT be dark and gritty, and I'm glad for it. Let's have fun with heroes without it being written by "those guys who were involved in Scary Movie".

aguywhoknowsaguy

Feb 10, 2010
Random question how badly is "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" going to do when it is coming out the same day as the Expendables and Eat, Pray, Love. My guess is that it's going to be a slaughter.

PS: TRON 2. nice.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
While I am very excited about the Avengers as well as Thor and Captain America, the one thing that I was looking forward to seeing any new info about didn't even show up: the remake of Red Dawn. I was looking forward to a teaser trailer or something because it was advertised as having a panel there (I would figure as much considering how Chris Hemsworth was cast as Jed Eckert). Alas, like many die hard fans of the original Cold War classic, I was left with crushing disappointment because there was no panel, no trailer, no nothing. With MGM on dire straits, I'm wondering if the film will ever be released. Sigh. At least I'll have Captain America and Thor to look forward to next year.

MaraJade03

Jan 14, 2010
Thanks for explaining the glove MovieBob. Not a hugh Marvel fan so wasn't sure why a glove was such a big deal, you make it sound real cool. What Men do to impress their lady friends. Saw some nice Figures of Death and Thantos at Sideshow booth and Death is very pretty. I'm looking forward to the Del Toro Haunted Mansion, hope they use the story that the ride already has and not add some weird modern element like a real estate agent.

What Brave and the Bold is CANCELED?!?!! But the big damn WB bag they where passing out had the brave and the bold video game all over it!?!?! WHY!?!?! WHY must they play with me like this!!!!

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
I hate having to still explain this, so I'm going to do it in Bold face so everyone gets it:
A LOT OF COMIC BOOK OUTFITS WOULD LOOK FUCKING STUPID ON SCREEN!

There are some that'll work, some that'll do fine and some that will sink the entire movie if they show up wearing them and a very small number which look stupid even in context of the comic. Hawkeye will not be wearing purple because it would look idiotic and I hope to god they lose the stupid mask too. Wolverine's costume is that rare kind of costume that would get the amazing "Costume problem" trifecta:
1) Make the movie IMPOSSIBLE to take seriously
2) Add a fairly solid extra amount to the budget
3) Add an extra month to the production time, due to the time lost putting it on and getting it off.

As for Batman, all the comics have said or suggested that he wears Kevlar (it would strain believability if he didn't) and I've got news for you: That's what he would HAVE to wear. Does it have some visual problems, sure. Is it better than being asked to believe that "No really, this cloth is bullet proof." Yeah it is.

Lastly, I'm sorry but costume is ultimately unimportant. Iron Man could be spray-painted black, and I wouldn't care so long as the writing was solid, the action was good and the actors did their job well. Daredevil and Fantastic 4 had fairly true-to-the-comics outfits and that didn't stop them from being mediocre and complete shit, respectively. And I sure as hell didn't hear you complaining when Doc Ock showed up in Spider-Man 2 in a trenchcoat instead of green spandex ;).

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Batman: The Brave and the Bold was a good fun cartoon :( RIP

as with everything else... WOOOO!

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Artemus_Cain said:
Still sucks about Ed Norton, but hey what are you gonna do? Still not sure about Joss Whedon, though. Never really liked Buffy, but I did like Serenity.
The TV series that spawned Serenity is even better. It shows how Joss can balance disparate characters with wildly different backstories in equal parts heart, humor and badassness.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
lessee, commentary:

Green Lantern: not as hung up on the costume as most people (comic geeks) are. Heck, he probably makes the thing from his ring. or as someone else says:

Elesar said:
I hate having to still explain this, so I'm going to do it in Bold face so everyone gets it:
A LOT OF COMIC BOOK OUTFITS WOULD LOOK FUCKING STUPID ON SCREEN!
-hug- Ladies and gentleman, welcome to the uncanny valley

American Godzilla: Hmmmmmmmm, at least Godzilla LOOKS right

Cowboys & Aliens: Sounds bizarre, but Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford are awesome (even if Ford was involved in Crystal Crap)

Tron 2: Okay, Cool

Green Hornet: I'm a Rogen fanboy so I'm almost inclined to see it

The Avengers: Whoop-dee-friggin-doo, the concept of it resulted in Iron Man 2's slipshod narrative and I don't see how even Joss Whedon can make a compelling, interesting narrative out of a superhero team up. MOVIES AREN'T COMICS

Captain America: Has potential, but Chris Evans as Captain America worries me

Thor: Has potential, but director Kenneth Branagh is a DRAMATIC director and his last film was a lukewarmly received remake of the classic film Sleuth starring Michael Caine and the late Laurence Olivier. And seriously, stop whining about Batman already, like it or not he needs the damn armor if he's going up against GUYS WITH GUNS.-UPDATED- Saw the trailer, though it didn't strike me as much as I thought it would.

Infinity Gauntlet: Yeah, this makes The Avengers narrative even less plausible to make sense if THAT is getting involved. God, Marvel needs to get their heads out of their asses.