Escape to the Movies: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Apes With Machine Guns

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
I went and saw this movie today cause Bob seemed to think highly of it... Man was I disappointed. I don't know if I saw a different version or what, but this movie was just so horribly DULL.

There was a great action sequence in the movie sure (just one of them unfortunately), the CGI/animation/etc was beautiful, and the whole beginning of the movie had this great apocalyptic feel to it. However as the movie dragged on it just felt like it was overstaying it's welcome.

Definitely not the best action movie I've seen this year.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Shoot the monkeys. Don't kill just one of them. Shoot them and keep shooting them. Lay down a line of fire and advance whilst feeding clips into your rifles until no ape moves.

Problem solved. There's about 6 billion humans and only a few million Apes.

Iceklimber

Feb 5, 2013
Not gonna fall for you again, Moviebob! He called the finale of the previous film "a blast"
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/3821-Rise-of-the-Planet-of-the-Apes

When it was actually sub-mediocre and the few action scenes were clearly just made for the trailers, and 90% of those appeared in them. Was a nice movie but definitely not an action spectacle as promised by Moviebob or implied by the trailers.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Well, I enjoyed the first movie quite a bit, and most people seem to be saying that this one is even better, so I'll definitely try to see this movie this weekend.

I don't know why people think that apes using guns is ridiculous... What should they be using? Clubs? Just their fists? That would put them a pretty distinct disadvantage. They're supposed to be intelligent so why wouldn't they use the best weapons available to them?

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I just got back from seeing it and it was pretty different I'll say that. It wasn't a bad movie at all and it had some neat moments but boy oh boy did it feel overly long. Though overly long movies are the standard these days.
Also the concept of this movie was completely ludicrous, I rolled my eyes at some points including the big action scene. But then I sat there and realized it was no different from watching a Kung-fu panda defeat a crazed peacock from taking over China or a raccoon driving a spaceship.
Meh.

1337mokro said:
snip, a little
Not any more. :p well, at least in the context of this film.

IanDavis said:
Do I have to have seen the previous one first?
This has probably already been answered but no, not really. They do a pretty nice job summarizing the last film.
This coming from someone who didn't see the first film.
Doug said:
Hi all,

I'm thinking of going to see this, but neither me or my mate have seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes; I'd like to know, do we need to have seen the first movie for this to make sense or be good?
As stated above, you and your mate will be fine.

ISearchForTraps

Jun 22, 2009
1337mokro said:
Shoot the monkeys. Don't kill just one of them. Shoot them and keep shooting them. Lay down a line of fire and advance whilst feeding clips into your rifles until no ape moves.

Umm, in this movie the majority of the human population was wiped out by the Simian Flu. Did you see the review? Bob makes it quite clear, and civilization is in ruins besides.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
ISearchForTraps said:
1337mokro said:

Umm, in this movie the majority of the human population was wiped out by the Simian Flu. Did you see the review? Bob makes it quite clear, and civilization is in ruins besides.
I know which is why you don't wait until the Simian flu kills everyone. I was talking about the first movie where they literally try to club gorillas down using billy clubs, instead of shooting every monkey in sight before the disease could spread.

Just because you got the stupid premise out of the way in the first movie does not excuse the second movie from building upon it without explanation.

Even if 99% of all humans died that still leaves 60-70 million of us vs a few million of them, that is if you count monkeys and apes AND you assume that the monkeys are not starting a rebellion against the chimpanzees for eating them.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
Well as i see it (in the universe of this movie) america is pretty fucked. Thank (whatever) god that monkey can't fly planes or navigate ships. So the other continents can rebuild while america is stuck in a human/ape war.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Nil Kafashle said:
I'm not particularly invested in this argument, but why not.

1337mokro said:
I know which is why you don't wait until the Simian flu kills everyone. I was talking about the first movie where they literally try to club gorillas down using billy clubs, instead of shooting every monkey in sight before the disease could spread.
1/ When the apes were making their rush the humans were unaware of the virus.

2/ It wasn't the apes that were 'spreading' it so wiping them out wouldn't have stopped it.

3/ The first film wasn't a battle between apes and humans with each side ready to charge. Rather the apes organized themselves in a small force, rounded up any fellow apes they could find and made a run for the nearest major forest.

Even if 99% of all humans died that still leaves 60-70 million of us vs a few million of them,
60 million people sporadically spread out across the globe facing potential famines, internal fighting, the collapse of civilization and so on.

I'm sure the last thing they care about is a tiny ape community confined to a National Park in California.

that is if you count monkeys and apes AND you assume that the monkeys are not starting a rebellion against the chimpanzees for eating them.
Caesar only recruited chimps, gorillas and an orangutan in the California area. Presumably every other ape in the world was unaffected.
Potential famine? Have you looked around you yet? There's literally enough food to feed you and whatever people survive after 99% is wiped out for nearly 3-5 years. Non-healthy food sure but you won't starve.

There was a giant escape of animals that acted intelligently, repeatedly came into conflict with humans and even fatally injured several of them. These apes are zombies at this point.

Sure it wasn't them who were spreading the virus... but I never said so. I never said stop the spread of the virus by killing the monkeys. I simply said kill the monkeys. There is no reason not to kill them to prevent this movie.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Are apes arms strong enough to fire machine guns with only one arm? I find this concept pretty cool actually.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
LobsterFeng said:
Are apes arms strong enough to fire machine guns with only one arm? I find this concept pretty cool actually.
Well, there is a video of a military guy on youtube who is dual wielding M249 machine guns. He may not be strong enough to aim in this state, but apes are much stronger. So i think, yes, they could.

But i also believe they have no chance of using firearms for a long time. They lack the knowledge to produce new rounds, dexterity to handle components and/or maintaining the weapons.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
People! People! People! Apes! Apes! Apes! Apes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75yTfBFX5gs

Was concerned how they were going to handle the people with automatic weapons vs apes with spears thing as that usually ends badly in real life except those cases where the losing side left the automatic weapons behind (Custer) or had them go wrong (from the Gun "the Italian wounded were found hiding under the Italian dead"). I have seen the viral ad of the chimp with the AK-47.

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE2m355-JRo

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
geier said:
LobsterFeng said:
Well, there is a video of a military guy on youtube who is dual wielding M249 machine guns. He may not be strong enough to aim in this state, but apes are much stronger. So i think, yes, they could.
Apes are pretty strong, they will rip you to pieces given the chance and have ripped people's arms and legs off in the past. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-03-04-chimp-attack_x.htm

Michael Jackson had to send his chimp to a shelter as they get violent when they are older, "you and 20 friends" could not hold them down.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
There are some huge plot holes in this movie. As mentioned above, an ape (chimpanzee) reaches maturity at age 16, but are still quite small and often have only stopped feeding from their mothers for a few years by the age of 9. How was Ceasar's son as old as he was in 9 or less years (maximum age he could have been)?

Also, the new setup makes absolutely no sense at all...none...as far as apes eventually taking over the world and dominating humans. Yes, it's possible they might do so in the immediate area where this movie was shot....but the rest of the world has no super smart apes to contend with, what stops them from banding together, getting power going and expanding again? The flu has run it's course and there are plenty of humans left to pick up the pieces. It makes no sense that humans around the world would not eventually use technology to dominate the apes...even the apes with guns etc. If the flu continued to affect children (so 9/10 children born died from it) as well, then the apes could eventually possibly take over the world just by reproducing so much faster then humans...except such a low birth rate...would eventually cause humans to become extinct anyway....so it makes no logical sense at all that apes in this world would eventually dominate.

Also...why didn't any of the apes...not even his son, friends etc.....go down the "VERY EASY FOR AN APE" hill to check on his body..make sure he was dead? Yes, I know their home was on fire..but it's their leader..father....savior etc....nobody thought to check and make sure he was really dead....except the humans who randomly find him of course.

There are other problems as well, but even so I still enjoyed the movie. The original movies though made more sense...as far as how the apes ended up in control etc. Perhaps in this universe the humans end up in control again....enslaving the apes as slaves....and then the rise up (can't use that title again though), and overthrow them eventually...that could at least make some sense. I did like some of the symbolism (IE....at the end where ceasar and his family look like the future, and the human fades back into darkness)....but some of the science is a bit wonky. Even the concept of using guns...while apes can use tools (like spears/axes etc), the same muscles that gives them something like 4x the average strength of a human...cause them to have much less fine motor control.....causing muscle spams etc..and would make firing a gun....difficult..even if the apes was extra smart. It might be possible for an ape to pull off...but their aim would probably be horrific..and they would quite possibly shoot their allies as easily as enemies.

Anyway..good movie....enjoyable...but I liked the originals better so far.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Tim Chuma said:
People! People! People! Apes! Apes! Apes! Apes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75yTfBFX5gs

Was concerned how they were going to handle the people with automatic weapons vs apes with spears thing as that usually ends badly in real life except those cases where the losing side left the automatic weapons behind (Custer) or had them go wrong (from the Gun "the Italian wounded were found hiding under the Italian dead"). I have seen the viral ad of the chimp with the AK-47.

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE2m355-JRo

Yeah, honestly it still didn't make sense....a fortified wall, with many people with automatic weapons manning it....vs a bunch of apes ...with only a few having guns themselves (Especially after the start). Why where only so few humans armed with guns? They had days to move guns over to the city...and wouldn't they at least have SOME police force setup originally...not to mention setting more up after first having the apes show up? They had a freaking rocket launcher....but only used it later on as an after thought (And why did they only have one...and not use it when the apes where all clustered together at the start etc). Seriously there is no way the humans should have lost in that setup.....the apes best chance would have been to attack from many different directions, getting into the city and taking on the humans at close range, a straight assault on a heavy fortified wall...would...and should have been...suicide...absolute disaster. Forget needing a tank (lol)...which they basically used to give the apes access to the city. I'm pretty sure most takes lock from the inside so you can't jump in and take over the tank so easily.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
karloss01 said:
The way you started the review out, it sounded like it was shit. good thing it doesn't sound like it.
That's what I was thinking. Given the time Bob devoted to Rise... in this video, I was waiting for "it's too bad about the follow up" lead in to the actual review. Looking forward to this coming out - I wasn't sure if I was going to like Rise and ended up really enjoying so glad to hear this one is following suit.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
When I saw the stars & stripes outfit of Mario, my first thought was James Brown's Living in America.

Must have been the stage setting or my fondness for Rocky IV. Take your pick.

As for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, it was a fun movie. Bob covered the high points perfectly. I am curious as to where this series goes from here. I'm kinda longing for the apes to become more humanoid and take over the planet completely but I think it's gonna be a few movies before that comes along. ^^;