Escape to the Movies: Daybreakers

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
"Dracula" (1992) & "Interview with the Vampire" are the only vampire movies I can tollerate. I can't stand action movies, so this won't do anything for me. I also hate chick flicks so Twilight is a huge no. My one exception to the action thing is this foreign series called "Master of Mosquiton 99," it's hilarious.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I hate to be this guy but I thought the premise was great and the opening was really cool but the rest was a triumphant resounding "MEH..." not that good but by no means bad.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Just came back from seeing and Holy Lords of Kobol and the Cylon God it's great! Those mutant bat things literally scare the shit out of me...

petey hunter

Mar 7, 2009
great, was checking to see if it was a good movie Now I'm going to see it, buy the DVD,get a blu ray player, get the bluray version with EXTRA blood, then make every twilight fan come to my house tie them to chairs and force them to watch it. when that's over I will say
"That good people is FUCKING VAMPIRE MOVIE."

although it gets an easy ride since it has to be better than twilight, now if you were to find my Vampirism RP that short story is better than the whole twilight saga.

hardlymotivated

May 20, 2009
Saw it today. It had an excellent premise, and the vampirism in this flick was fantastic, but I'm not quite sure on the execution. Sure, it was good, but not quite what I was expecting. Having said that, I saw it having received virtually no information regarding the plot, so I wasn't sure what to expect in the first place. And that doesn't even make sense.

Still, Willem Dafoe driving muscle cars and wielding crossbow-shotgun hybrids would make a Uwe Boll directed Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing adaptation a good film - what more needs to be said?

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
I went on ahead and saw this movie and could not disagree more with Bob. Once you get past the fact that these are vampires that act like vampires, it's a pretty bad movie.

You've got completely unimportant events happening that the orchestral soundtrack is trying as hard as it can to say is important because...trumpets means its important, significance of the actual event be damned.

Also, there were several B-Story arcs that might have been good if fleshed out a little bit rather than relying on the audience to fill in the blanks.

Strip away the nerd-gasm effect over the fact that these are vampires that act like vampires and Willem Dafoe fights vampires with crossbows and muscle cars, and you don't have enough of a film there. In fact, strip away the nerd-gasm part and I think Bob would have been able to see it wasn't a good movie.

I know he's a little jaded because he had to see Twilight, but that doesn't excuse the fact he recommended me to see a bad movie. And Bob is an opinion I usually trust. Go see it again, Bob, and then realize you should give me six of my eight bucks back.

...Nowhere near what "District 9" was.

TehHavq

Jan 19, 2010
Setting was awesome, but the rest of it really kinda sucked. In the end they take the easy way out too. Mad lame.

Zanez

Aug 8, 2008
This movie was terrible. Normally I don't go so far as to respond to movie reviews, but MovieBob made me choose to go see this movie over Avatar. I made the WRONG decision.
Predictable, lazy, cliche, over-glorified gore, convenient plot twists placed in convenient locations, no explanation for HOW the human race became vampires, and very little explanation for why they actually want to stay being vampires (especially with the blood supply running out).
I'm sorry, but it seems that some people's dislike for Twilight is so intense that ANYTHING that is not Twilight would look good in comparison. I have not seen Twilight (out of principle), and so my view is not biased.
Again, this movie was terrible, and should only appeal to children sneaking into R-rated movies so they can see lots of gore.

zorgonstealth

Nov 18, 2009
This is the only time i have ever disagreed with movie bob. I went to see this over the weekend with i girl i like, based on the rather over-exited review movie bob gave it, thinking it would be an entertaining and engaging movie. What i got was poor writing, worse acting and gore where the need was none. It even opens to a completely unrelated aside of a girl being disintegrated by looking at the sun. It was awkward and boring and end's with a cliffhanger with more loose ends than a £5 brothel, with no sequel in sight. and what's worse, i've probably blown it with the girl so thanks movie bob! thanks a bunch!

zorgonstealth

Nov 18, 2009
actually you know what? forget what i said, i totally fucked that girl last night! this movie was still shit but at least i feel better about movie bob now :)

godlymcjesus

Feb 28, 2009
this is not the anti twighlight the anti twighlight was buffy the vampire slayer this is just the closest we have come

AlwySumwherElse

Jan 19, 2010
No offense Bob, but I've been watching movies for the twenty years I've been alive, and i like to think i have a very good taste in movies. I liked the movie for it's anti-twilight references and the use of the Bram stoker's view on vampires, and am a huge fan of Willem Defoe, and his bad-ass cars, but the movie over all stunk. It had no ending, and the gore in it was hilariously sad. At one point they try the "fake" blood on a soldier and his face boils up he throws up violently everywhere and they calm him down just for his head to blow up and squirt blood everywhere.... I laughed only because it was pathetic. I would not recommend wasting money to go see it, I wanted an hour and a half of my life back. The only part of the movie I liked was Willem's lines which were typical of him in movies like Boondock Saints.

Lusulpher

Jun 12, 2009
It's not the Anti-Twilight. That would be Interview With A Vampire, you know a masterpiece of film and genre.

This is Bladerunner with vampires, or the futuristic sequel to IWaV, where Lestat sells his plague to corporations. And yes, that's District 9 level of corporate class warfare.

This movie is an instant classic and I know they have a sequel due to the pacing near the end.
And seeing how under advertised this was, I know it struck some execs on their raw nerves. So it's excellent.
I had Twilight posters on my food for Christ sakes! Saw 3 Daybreakers commercials in a week. 3 Twilight ones an hour...

@MovieBob Did realize that a certain person literally imitates Christ at the Last Supper to save his brother that he betrayed, like a reborn Judas symbol??? Epic. And I hope it pisses you off.

The acting was flawless, check out how Ethan smokes, and why. That's Godfather-like subtlety.
Check out Sam Neil's performance in 'In the Mouth of Darkness', he is underrated!
The whole "kill the unwanted masses of poor vampires" scene, brought the message home.

Corporations will end Humanity. Not fictional vampires.[and much like Bladerunner, no one will realize that for 20 years]. It's almost as good as Book of Eli.

I give it 8.8/9.5. Will watch the sequel.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
I'm sorry, good? This movie sucked guys. I love that it isn't twilight too, but seriously? This is your standard for good? My opinion of Bob has dropped substantially. Calling this a social satire is funny itself. It has the metaphoric depth of a puddle here. Okay, blood = oil. Ooo! Original! Sacrificing the poor first! Not at all compelling! District 9 was good. This was mediocre film making, over the top violence that distracts from the lack of story and the huge plot holes. The cure is in biting cured humans? Where the hell did that come from? I loved that it had all these capitalist innovations, some of which were quite clever, but the actors all phoned it in and calling the story compelling is generous to the point of insanity.

I'm sorry, but just because it's loads better than twilight doesn't make it good.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
*spoilers*

I know I'm bumping an old topic here... but it is related to me, and it isn't that old :D
I went and saw this the other day, and it was crapola.
It could have been worked a damn lot better, and I was extremely disappointed when they killed off the hot chick hahaa.

Willem Dafoe... yes, musclecars, hardly, crossbows, minimal.
The violence wasn't interesting or watchable.
There was no actual fighting. It was just violence.
Useless.

I enjoyed the bit near the end where Edward (lol twilight much?){Ethan} was owning the crap out of some vampires with a stake. But that was it, there was no fight, it was just seeing a bunch of humans screaming as they get their heads ripped off by starving vampires.

I liked the explosions as the vampires died, but it didn't make me like the actual movie.
It was poorly crafted, and Sam Neill's character didn't have enough depth, and all the characters had pointless facades. Only Edwards brother (Frankie) actually had a minimal amount of character which I would have loved to see built upon, but they left him, and killed him off too!

They didn't wrap up any of the story. I would have been very very happy to have seen the end virus spreading bit fleshed out, I loved the idea that they couldn't help their gluttony and it just sent them to be the next course of the waiting crowd.
AND WORST OF ALL:
THE NOISE! Your GOD! it was horrible. The high pitch wails of the vampire-bat things didn't serve as much to shock as just piss me off and blow out my eardrums.
And the bat at the end just wrapped it up for me.

Verdict: Pointless crap.

pcload1etter

Apr 14, 2009
While entertaining, this was a retarded movie based on several stupid assumptions on a "cure". When I left the movie I could only think... that was dumb.

It's like Jersey Shore... really stupid, but you can't stop watching.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Yeah, my sister saw this movie recently after paying $2 to go see it, and she thought it was so stupid. It reminds me of how Doug Walker (aka the Nostalgia Critic, Chester A. Bum, That Guy with the Glasses, etc.) didn't like District 9 because he thought some of the things were done in that movie were stupid.

I guess most people just don't recognize how movies like these are social satire and just see them as straight-up bad genre movies that don't make that much sense to them.