Escape to the Movies: Detention & Lockout

Apr 5, 2012
Zombine3D said:
Iron Sky, Iron sky, Iron Sky, Iron sky, Iron Sky, Iron sky, Iron Sky, Iron sky, Iron Sky, Iron sky, Iron Sky, Iron sky, Iron Sky, Iron sky, Iron Sky, Iron sky, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Iron Sky! Iron Sky! Iron Sky!

I would love to see a review, but I really don't know were movie bob lives. It might not be playing near him.

I am also impressed that bob is playing Fez and seems to not give a crap about Fish and his comments. Like we all should.

"Enter the following: big nose" Hey, Escapist, that is just cruel.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Almost no one cares about Archie anymore. I have yet to meet a real life fan of the comics, or know anyone who owns the books or ANYTHING. Sure they had a thing that happened recently, but... eh? It's a superficial love/triangle story. It's been done to death now.

AlexanderPeregrine

Nov 19, 2009
Archie wouldn't work as a feature-length movie for a bunch of reasons. The comics are an episodic, very optimistic slice of life style that only lends itself to short morality plays. There's no real central conflict outside of "which fantastic chick should Archie go steady with", which nobody past puberty would take seriously. The target demographic would have to be young kids, but what might work as a short, self-paced comic might not work as an 80 minute feature. Nothing about it screams "event!" the way Pixar and Dreamworks movies do, so they'd probably get antsy sitting in a theater watching a 1950s high school movie throwback. At best, I could see an Archie movie working as a direct to video release.

Also, Bob even mentioned problem with Archie in today's culture in the beginning of this video:

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
canadamus_prime said:
Whoever owns the movie rights to Archie, I'm just glad he has decided he doesn't want or need millions of dollars. The last thing I want to see is an Archie movie. ...EVER.
This. Times 100.

However, mindful of Lincoln's quote, "I don't like that man. I must get to know him better," I offer the following:

Hey MovieBob, how about a Big Picture where you discuss Archie, what it was, and why you think it's worth anyone's time.

AlexanderPeregrine

Nov 19, 2009
ewhac said:
canadamus_prime said:
Whoever owns the movie rights to Archie, I'm just glad he has decided he doesn't want or need millions of dollars. The last thing I want to see is an Archie movie. ...EVER.
This. Times 100.

However, mindful of Lincoln's quote, "I don't like that man. I must get to know him better," I offer the following:

Hey MovieBob, how about a Big Picture where you discuss Archie, what it was, and why you think it's worth anyone's time.
You only need to buy one Double Digest to learn everything you need to know about Archie. It's not exactly the Marvel universe.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Dry week huh?
Ok then can someone please calm me down?
Today I watched Cabin In The Woods (AWESOME!!!), but before that I saw trailer for
(prepare yourself, no really, prepare yourself)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
At first I thought that this was trailer for Fool's day (1Apr), but due to technical reasons they showed it 19 days later.
Now I checked and it appears to be real thing
WTFITFPOFC? WTFITFPOFC? WTFITFPOFC? WTFITFPOFC? WTFITFPOFC? WTFITFPOFC?
Well maybe some of you are not familiar with this abbreviation, so let me explain
What The Fuck Is This Fucking Piece Of Fucking Crap???
So apparently Lincoln was fighting vampires now, yeah right, and Stalin was fighting martians, oh wait...
Still, Stalin vs. Martians was psychedelic acid trip parody and he wasn't fighting them personally.
B-But this isn't funny- this movie considers itself dead serious (at least according to trailer).
Even more, this movie insults me and I'm not even american (not even close).
Is this really happening? Please, someone tell me I'm dreaming and I'll wake up soon!
Make it stop! MAKE IT STOP!!! [head explodes]

P.S. But honestly what's the story behind this? How can something like that even exist?

TheTygre

Jun 17, 2009
So somewhere in Hollywood, someone owns the rights to an Archie movie, with which they -could- produce any number of monstrosities with and still make millions of dollars, and they have chosen to restrain themselves?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
whowever does own the archie comic rights must have the composure and resolution of a saint for not wanting to release that and immediately probably boost their net worth by 100%

tamaness

Sep 24, 2009
blackrave said:
P.S. But honestly what's the story behind this? How can something like that even exist?
It's based off of a book [http://www.amazon.com/Abraham-Lincoln-Vampire-Seth-Grahame-Smith/dp/0446563080]. I'm not sure whether that justifies the movie, but it's something to keep in mind when looking at the media around this movie.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
I cheered when Bob mentioned Fez.
I see this flame war over Fish, too. At least he has the balls to say how he really feels. And it wasn't racism. I don't get where that comes from.

I hate Bollywood movies. Does that make me racist?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
tamaness said:
It's based off of a book [http://www.amazon.com/Abraham-Lincoln-Vampire-Seth-Grahame-Smith/dp/0446563080]. I'm not sure whether that justifies the movie, but it's something to keep in mind when looking at the media around this movie.
Thank you.
But now I have another problem
Similar to Professor Farnsworth I don't want to live on this planet anymore
But I will not use the poster here because
a) it is overused
b) I'm too lazy to search for it

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
'Nothing came out this week'?

What kind of sorry excuse for a genre enthusiast is this guy?

What about Iron Sky?

Shape up Bob!

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Soviet Heavy said:
ElektroNeko said:
Archie the movie...

Indeed, that would pull in big money. And it might be fun to watch too :3
If they did an Archie movie like the Brady Bunch movie, it would be hilarious. Juxtaposing idyllic 50s culture against modern sensibilities.
But that's why the Brady Bunch movie wasn't very good. They had only two jokes, showing how lame the 70's were and reminding people of things from the show. Neither of which are enough to carry a feature film. Maybe a SNL skit, but not a film. And Archie wouldn't have the second joke because who remembers anything that happened in Archie? Seriously.

I find the idea that Archie as a movie property worth anything to be ludicrous. They would have to pay someone else a million dollars to take it from them. It has low name recognition with the modern audience and anyone who does remember it doesn't want to see the kind of movie they'd wind up making out of it.

Yeah another lame retread of Brady Bunch Movie would probably be what they'd do and it would make money, but it would have nothing to do with Archie, so why bother making it? Just make up a similar character and make the movie without having to buy the rights.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
zombie711 said:
Agent Larkin said:
If the Juno chick gets killed I'm in for Detention.

Cause seriously fuck that movie.

Also Hey Bob how do you feel about the "Escape from New York" remake?
Ellan Page? I know she gets shot and killed in
Super
No no no just the character. Ellen Page is a good actress after all I've seen Hard Candy but the character pisses me off and Bob said that there is a character like her so....

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
zombie711 said:
ElektroNeko said:
Archie the movie...

Indeed, that would pull in big money. And it might be fun to watch too :3
youve never seen the live action Archie TV show. That was depressing.

Betty is a small school teacher in an abusive relationship, Jughead is divorced and lacks a relation with his son, Veronica is a 4 time divorced sex addict, Reggie I think is dead, it all happens on the anniversary of their high school graduation, Veronica and Betty are messing up Archie's life by trying to have sex with him, and Archie is about to be married, and start a new job as a big time Lawyer. Also Jughead's son tells him he cant dance or sing, despite being in a band at one point.
Wait, what? That sounds less like Archie and more like... Funky Winkerbean.

Scars Unseen said:
vviki said:
What about "The Three Stooges" didn't that come out last week?
They came out in theaters 82 years ago. If you're referring to the abortion that came out just recently... well I'm not generally averse to remakes(e.g. Battlestar Galactica remains one of my favorite sci-fi shows in recent memory despite its flubbed final season), but here they are trying to remake people. It makes about as much sense as trying to remake the Marx Brothers.
I... would actually maybe watch that. Because, see, I actually liked the wit of the original Marx Brothers, whereas the Stooges always struck me as no different from the cheap, lowbrow physical comedy that comes out nowadays. I swear they got branded as "classics" for no other reason than (A) they were popular once and (B) they're really old. The Marx Brothers' films are among the few from their era that have aged well enough that I can watch them for the first time as an adult in the 21st century and say I liked them. And that kind of wit is something Hollywood and even television have been largely lacking these days.

LZeroK

May 25, 2009
Aiddon said:
LZeroK said:
"Everyone is a little bit racist" -Avenue Q

If you have laughed at any kind of ethnic joke of any degree then you too are.
If you haven't... Two possibilities, either you are lying, or you are lying and nobody has heard you do it hence you can lie about it!
There's a difference between political incorrectness and bigotry. Richard Pryor mocking his own race and every race on the earth but remembering to take the piss out of HIMSELF most of all is politically incorrect. Eddie Murphy making homophobic and sexist remarks on Raw is bigotry (and then whining about how Bill Cosby criticized him and he went crying to Pryor is just pathetic). Fish's comments were generalized and ignorant at best and like EVERY fucking dipshit he tries to justify his bullshit by basically saying "Nuh-UH! You're a POOPY-HEAD!", making himself look all the more moronic. He's a twat and Inafune is even more of a twat for agreeing with him. Though since Inafune is a hack anyway it doesn't surprise me
First of all: Comedy is subjective, what may seem funny to someone might not be to another.

Second: What does this have to do with anything of I said? Are you trying to make a point by citing examples? If so, you are failing at it. Which by the way doesn't invalidate my argument.

Finally: Since the appereance of the term "political correctness" we have become more than self-aware of what is said, we have become paranoical, so what if you or other gets offended? Does it give you leprosy?

Captcha: ladies, first
It's trying to tell me something but I can't tell.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I like 2 movies at once, it would be nice to see it again on some of the bigger weekend openings.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Isn't there already an Archie movie?

I swear I remember seeing a movie on TV that I thought was called archie...not sure now.

Yep! TV movie from 1990. Based on the characters from Archie comics but they are all adults now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099054/