Escape to the Movies: Devil

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Sovvolf said:
I don't get how throwing toast up in the air would prove anything. I mean if he's trying to check out which side is the devil side i.e if it doesn't land butter side down the devil is in the room, then if makes no sense. Mythbusters proved that statistically toast as about a 50/50 chance of landing on either side.

I haven't watched the movie so I don't know if some thing specially happens when he throws the toast, I'm just speculating but if it is for the reasons I just stated then well... Logic fail I guess.

Either way... This wasn't a film I was excited about and to be honest I've almost fully given up on recent horror movies these days. None of them have proved to me that they have any ability to scare the audience and instead go for the gross out option which bores me to tears.

Most of the movies involve some love interest and a bullied kid then loads of gore, poor attempts at suspense and idiot characters. I miss the old movies like Carpenters first Halloween movie that didn't really have a love interest (A crush was implied between Laurie and some other guy but we never see anything of it other than a phone call and I don't have to be slopped out of my brains) the film was pretty much bloodless and the film relied on clever camera work, music and pacing to get the job done. That film was scary and had a truly scary villain who had a pretty simple design to him but still worked. Though I guess they fucked all that up with the sequels and then Rob came along and gave him a backstory effectively fucking all the mystery of the character and his motivations up.

Speaking of Rob Zombie, he seems one of the few horror directors out there who seems to be doing a good job in the genre and despite my above complaint of his interpretation of Michael Myers motivation... I really enjoyed his Halloween reboots. They were certainly much better than many of the other Horror reboots to have came out in a long while.

Ba'h I've went a little off topic. My point was that I'm bored of the current horror genre and the trailers to 'Devil' haven't convinced me to see the film nor do they seem be adding anything positive to the genre. I can't wait until a film comes out with some actual scares to it but well looks like I'll be waiting a while for that.

As for Shamalyan (or however you spell it) me'h I've enjoyed a good amount of his films so far though he's had a few hiccups here and there and his name being at the top of the poster doesn't deter me or encourage me to see it.

My sentiments Exactly. Horror now a days is Dead. But Seriously!!! I had my hopes up for this movie thinking it'd be good. But SUPER LOL at the Butter-Side down bit XD
WTF does Murphy's law have to do with the Freaking DeviL!?!?!

LockandKey

Feb 22, 2009
raven47172 said:
The toast scene is used in the context to show that when the devil is near everything is backwards hence toast lands jelly side down.
That logic is still so retarded because I assume most people would know the toast thing isn't true.

Falseprophet said:
I'm trying to think of fictional portrayals of the Devil that I actually liked:

-Garth Ennis' run on Hellblazer plus the brief appearance of Satan in his Preacher.

-In the 1971 Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory film, if you consider Willy Wonka as God, that makes Slugworth a great Satan-figure. In the Old Testament sense.
1)Really you liked the Preacher Satan I mean really he didn't do much.
Also since you seem like a guy who reads comics go read Lucifer now!

2) I always thought Willy was the devil.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I hate the way Movie Bob pronounces Shymalan. I don't know if I'm wrong and he's right but it sounds really weird to me.

Also lol toast.

raven47172

Expert Slacker
Sep 17, 2010
Sadly I think most people still believe the toast myth. The whole backwards thing is referenced in the beginning and end shots of the movie. In the beginning they do a flyover and everything is upside down and at the end the same shot is correct. And the toast was not in the elevator the guards watching on the monitors had the toast.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Seriously though, I was planning to see this until now....God Horror has been dead since teh day H.P. Lovecraft died.

:(

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
Does anybody else sort of cringe when MovieBob says Shy-yaam-uh-lon? When ever they say his name in previews,trailers,etc, they just say Shaam-uh-lon, which sounds A LOT better. I guess the correct answer is how ever he says it, but I'm hoping it's the latter.

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
Bob,

love your reviews. But seriously, you know very little about the bible, God, or the devil. The adversary is not in charge of hell. that is a myth. learn some Hebrew and Greek for Optimus' sake. If you are going to criticize it, understand it first. You seem to criticize every movie that has anything to do with God as being stupid. I have not seen Devil, and I wont, because I thought it looked retarded from the previews. and I agree with most of what you said in your review. but if you are going to go on criticizing Religions or faiths, please have a working knowledge of them.

thanks,
Magnus

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Zeeky_Santos said:
MatParker116 said:
This shit got a fucking sequel I'm not kidding
It's a planned trilogy, I'm not kidding. Now find the nearest pencil and gouge your eyes out for 6 hours. That should be more fun than these films.
Oh. Gods. No.

OT: I knew this would be shitty. Seems my hypothesis was correct, once again..

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
OMG! This is to funny. Because the Devil generally works really hard "NOT" to be seen so then all the intellectuals can be distracted chatting about his and gods existence while he goads them from the shadows. LOL. Like if God descended on a chariot of fire with Chuck Norris on national TV and was like "Sup dogs".

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Ugh. Who actually saw this film? I'm curious as to which character turns out to be the devil. I'm gonna have to go with the guy in the suit, the businessman. If you saw it, quote me and put it in a spoiler, or just message me. Thanks =)

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
When I saw the trailer, it stank of M.Night. Yes, I groaned when his name popped up. I was happy though that I had come to be able to identify his bull-hockey from a mile away. Before his name came up, through 30 seconds of trailer alone, I was able to tell it was M.Night. I think that's almost a survival skill!

And I'm not surprised in any way that the movie blows. I feel validated, though. I verbally (with many f-bombs) swore off of M.Night at the end of The Happening. Never again would he fool me into seeing his stinking pile of crap ever again. The real devil here? The REAL devil is that his one talent is making trailers look compelling. If it wasn't for my new survival skill, I'd have fallen for it, and may have paid real money to that stinker. Urahg!

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
Well I was expecting something that opened last week because nothing interesting came out this week, but why not review "The Town"? That one seemed much better. I am going to have to see this one after hearing about that scene with the toast, but after it comes out on DVD.

WALRUS!!

Turkey Braveheart

Apr 15, 2010
Moviebob,
I like your reflection on the nature of the devil in movies.

How do you feel about Viggo Mortenson's portrayal of Satan from the Prophecy? He was less an arch villain, and more a cynical, petty, bitter, wisecracking a-hole who tempted humans because he believed in our inherent badness. I loved it. :D