Escape to the Movies: Devil

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
snowman6251 said:
I hate the way Movie Bob pronounces Shymalan. I don't know if I'm wrong and he's right but it sounds really weird to me.

Also lol toast.
Thank you!! I was going insane. I believe it's pronounced Shaw-ma-lon. The first quarter of the video I couldn't pay attention due to me obsessing with his horrendous pronunciation.

I have also always hated M. Night and all his works dating back to the sixth sense. I have even made several t-shirts expressing my deep hatred of this man and his work. Unfortunately my hate is bordering obsessive and I have to see every movie he makes just to cement my hate even harder. I feel that by paying to hate him, he's winning in the long run which infuriates me further. It's a vicious circle.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Considering this movie has all the faults normally associated with M. Nights movies such as
Awkward dialogue
Inhuman emotions
Poor writing
EXPOSITION!!! In Russia Dialogue writes you
stereotypes
"What a Twist"
I think its safe to blame him for this fiasco as well.

"Damn you M. Night you killed The last airbender, you did what the entire fire nation couldn't"

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
PeePantz said:
snowman6251 said:
I hate the way Movie Bob pronounces Shymalan. I don't know if I'm wrong and he's right but it sounds really weird to me.

Also lol toast.
Thank you!! I was going insane. I believe it's pronounced Shaw-ma-lon. The first quarter of the video I couldn't pay attention due to me obsessing with his horrendous pronunciation.

I have also always hated M. Night and all his works dating back to the sixth sense. I have even made several t-shirts expressing my deep hatred of this man and his work. Unfortunately my hate is bordering obsessive and I have to see every movie he makes just to cement my hate even harder. I feel that by paying to hate him, he's winning in the long run which infuriates me further. It's a vicious circle.
I liked the sixth sense but I hate every other movie he's ever made.

A lot of people like Unbreakable (Tarintino put it on his top movies since becoming a director list) but I fucking LOATHE that movie. I don't get why people like it.

And you don't make Samuel L. Jackson a cripple. You don't fucking do that.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
Your all blind, in most moden Lifts these days they have a Small red case, containing a Piece of toast, a glass Screen the the letters "Break Glass in case of the lord of all Lies."

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
I never booed this because of Shiamalan, I booed it because the premise seemed somewhat interesting, but the TITLE threw away any sense of suspense and mystery. The trailer leads you to think "gee, what strange malevolent force is tormenting these people?" then the title comes up and you thing "oh, the devil, thanks you just saved me 2 hours."

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
The serpent in the beginning of the Bible isn't the devil, though, certainly not in the original Jewish mythology, or the story as it appears in the Christian Bible.
It is a snake.
It being the devil was tacked on later by the Christians, and indeed the role of Devil has changed a lot when the role of the Jewish/Christian God has.

Anyway, I don't see why Devil if he is evil would want to torment evil souls. Wouldn't he want to reward evil behaviour? His role in Christian mythologies is confusing, and the character seems to exist just so that all the bad stuff can be blamed on him.

Anyways, this movie. I don't see how the "who did it" will work, since the killer is Devil. I mean, how it would make a difference if they knew who it was?

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I keep hoping for M. Night Shiamalan to make another great movie, I just don't get how one can make something so epic, and then make such a quality U-turn.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
Seriously? Toast can show the presence of the devil?

I seem to be surrounded by him everytime I drop toast/something fragile/something electrical...

I actually wanted to go and see it, because the trailer sounded like it could work out, in asort of a murdermystery kind of way, but now I think I'll pass...

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I know u said it was unfair Bob, but as soon as a I saw M nights name I knew I was giving this movie a pass.

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
The Devil is NOT in Hell. According to the Christian belief in the Book of Revelations the Devil will be thrown into the lake of fire.

Satan isn't directly doing nefarious deeds like a comic book super-villain, but rather working indirectly through people by temptation to sin and go against the Word of God.

He was originally the most beautiful angel of all-time, but he became proud and wanted to become greater than God himself. When that didn't happen Satan left Heaven and was accompanied by others (demons).

He's the Father of Lies, Lucifer, Morning Star, the Fallen Angel. He's not the pitchfork-carrying, goatee, red-faced trope that society has created him to be. He appears throughout the Bible working through the people as I've said already.

12 years of Catholic School. *Fweet* Congratulations, here's your medal. You can also stand in a garage for 12 years, but that doesn't mean your an expert on the automotive industry. You constantly attack the Christian faith and insult the the faith of it's believers, so what astounding notion that you've conceived in your mind that saying you've had 12 years of Catholic school gives you any sound foundational argument that you can talk about the concept of the Devil?

On a side note Bob, how can you say it's not M. Night's fault because he only produced it when you've condemned Michael Bay for the Friday the 13th remake, which he produced? No exceptions, Bob, M. Night has dug his own grave with terrible movie after terrible movie. The Village, Lady in the Water, The Happening, Avatar: The Last Airbender, and now Devil. If your gonna hang one producer/director and not another then your showing unprofessional behavior in your line of work. You are showing favoritism and as a movie critic you can not keep ignoring the fact that M.Night has failed to live up to any of the talent he displayed in his earlier works like The Six Sense, Signs, and Unbreakable.

Film looked promising because it was going back to the suspenseful horror that made M.Night famous in the beginning. But do you know what happened? M.Night fell off his high horse, hit his head and is right now unconscious where he dreams he is a man who thinks his scripts are his blessed gifts to the ignorant world. When in reality, he fell and somehow got his head stuck up his @$$ and he's continued navel gazing with each failure he's directed and produced for the past several years. They're nothing more than the steaming piles of what they are so it's not us who should be on the chopping block, Bob, but M. Night himself. If you ever want to see M.Night make a comeback into cinema then he needs to wake up and realize his faults and pull his big head out of his @$$. If he can, great because I want to see a good M.Night movie again. Remember that brilliant twist in Sixth Sense? What about the creepy atmosphere of Signs? Where's that M.Night? The public WANTS to see M.Night succeed again, but it's not us who can make the film better, but the producer/director himself.

Badger Kyre

Aug 25, 2010
For what it's worth, me and the girl called who was the Devil in the trailer - I just went online to confirm our suspicions.

Shal. had some great movies, I so badly want to like the recent ones, I am just not quite mentally handicapped enough to pull that off.

TOAST? REALLY? glad i missed it.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Hey, movie bob has the same opinion on the devil as me. I'M NOT CRAZY OR ALONE!!!

but yeah, as soon as i saw the name, and hjeard the premise, i saw this was going to suck. why couldnt scott pilgrim open on a weekend when movies like this peice of garbage come out?

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
That's just terrible punishment to people watching the movie. I hate it when director's feel they have to point out what's going on. Here the movie is named Devil and they had to point out it's about the Devil? If it's a good movie it should be complex, but people should be able to figure it out on their own. Or it should at least be easy to follow without obvious explanations.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
MatParker116 said:
This shit got a fucking sequel I'm not kidding
....it's a goddamned trilogy....*sobs*

zombie711 said:
can someone explain the toast part please
The explanation is that when the Devil is around weird stuff starts happening. Kids will hit their heads on tables, I guess toast falls jelly side down.....I don't know. This movie blew huge nutsack. The only thing refreshing about it was that the Black Guy almost made it the end