Escape to the Movies: Dhoom 3

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Whatever your take on Bollywood is, you will get _Something_ for you money and time. A lot more than most other movies can offer.

BTW: I'd love to have a LEGO Simpsons game!

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
*Looks this way, looks that way...checks if someone didn't made this note about a bad guy called Khan...check*

Okay, here it comes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54.

Anyway, no thanks on the Bollywood film bonanza. Films from South Asia are not my thing. I'd rather would flex my hipster muscles with vague Chinese, Japanese or Korean films.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Judging from the title i thought this was going to be about some 1000$ budget crappy movie, but this actually looks quite interesting, not even sure why, probably because i haven't seen anything like this recently.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I've got to say, I was laughing and cheering just at the looped trailer footage Bob was using for the background of his review. Based on that evidence, I think this might be the movie for me.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Skeleon said:
Uh, this actually sounds interesting. I have to say I avoided Bollywood because the movies they broadcast here always seemed like boring love story movies with music interludes, not the kind of genre-mixtures Bob was describing here.
I'm skeptical. I saw #1 on Netflix streaming. It wasn't gouge out my eyes bad. I just didn't love it and I seen nothing in this review that makes me think #3 will change my mind.

I'll check it on streaming anyway.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Gorfias said:
I'm skeptical. I saw #1 on Netflix streaming. It wasn't gouge out my eyes bad. I just didn't love it and I seen nothing in this review that makes me think #3 will change my mind.
The whole bit about "rooting for the villain and the heroes" sounded extremely refreshing compared to the usual, clear - nay, blatant - "good versus evil"-stuff we usually get served as popcorn-cinema.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Wasn't Slumdog Millionaire also a Bollywood movie?

I mean, it may not have some of the more... stereotypical elements of Bollywood, but given that the author, cast and even music is Indian, I wouldn't rule it out as "the first Bollywood production successful in the west".

SoMuchSpace

Mar 27, 2012
Also, here is the full trailer with english subtitles, if people are interested. I will say that the trailer is pretty well made, regardless of what i thought of the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUDjA1e8VFM

Anyway i would like to discuss the film, but i really can't unless i reveal the mid plot twist..which is arguably the weakest point of the story and where the film falls on itself and collapses it's own hyper reality.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
For me, the real question is this: is it better than Doom?

:/

... I'm guessing Dhoom 3 is far superior.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Skeleon said:
Gorfias said:
The whole bit about "rooting for the villain and the heroes" sounded extremely refreshing compared to the usual, clear - nay, blatant - "good versus evil"-stuff we usually get served as popcorn-cinema.
It may not be fair to 3, but have you seen 1 and 2? Have you seen 3? Is there really a difference that I should note? And, I hope so. More great stuff with a new take on things beats no new stuff by a long shot.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
OK, you're right Bob, this DOES look bonkers and had me smiling all the way through. Is that "as rewritten by Marge Simpson" bit accurate?
Also, I loved that Revenge Society screenshot, because I want more Venture Brothers, damn it! Can we get an episode of The Big Picture about that?

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Mangod said:
For me, the real question is this: is it better than Doom?

:/

... I'm guessing Dhoom 3 is far superior.
That's the logical direction to go: In the next film the cops will be fighting demons on Mars, with the final confrontation being a 10-minute musical battle sequence with Satan. Glorious!

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Gorfias said:
It may not be fair to 3, but have you seen 1 and 2? Have you seen 3? Is there really a difference that I should note? And, I hope so. More great stuff with a new take on things beats no new stuff by a long shot.
Nope, I was only commenting on the review. I haven't seen any of these yet.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Skeleon said:
Uh, this actually sounds interesting. I have to say I avoided Bollywood because the movies they broadcast here always seemed like boring love story movies with music interludes, not the kind of genre-mixtures Bob was describing here.
Hey if you don't mind me asking, is Bollywood big in Germany, or do people prefer seeing German movies?

OP: I'm actually very curious as to how this movie will be received over here and if we are going to see more Bollywood movies trying to break into the US audience. Regardless, this movie looks like something new and refreshing to see.

SoMuchSpace

Mar 27, 2012
Gorfias said:
Skeleon said:
Gorfias said:
As someone who has seen all of these.

Comparision -

Best action sequences - Dhoom 3
Best villain - Dhoom 2
Best songs and stuff - Dhoom 2
Best Story - Dhoom 2 (I'd say 3 holds up well as well)
Slickest Action Film - Dhoom 2
Best acted - Dhoom 3 (largely due to how much Amir Khan had to do in the film)

Basically, Dhoom 1 & Dhoom 3 are experiments. Dhoom 1 was obviously a testing the waters kind of film. It works on many levels, and did a competent job at setting up the franchise. However, since every sequel only went bigger, Dhoom 1 is largely forgettable. Dhoom 3 is an experiment in the sense that it tries to inject morality into the series, which i think fails, because the plot twists are really, really unbelievable, even for it's hyper reality. This relates to the offensive portrayal movie bob was talking about.

Dhoom 2 is where it is at. And i'm not joking. Everything is perfectly crazy, and is also perfectly believable. The villain is AMAZING and is truly a thief, plus, it also has incredible chemistry : the romances are very well done and intense. The ending is VERY satisfying, the endings of both 1 & 3 leave you with an incredibly bitter taste. I must urge every one here to watch 2 first, then go into 3.

trailer for 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrFkjw0WcQ0

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
hermes200 said:
Wasn't Slumdog Millionaire also a Bollywood movie?

I mean, it may not have some of the more... stereotypical elements of Bollywood, but given that the author, cast and even music is Indian, I wouldn't rule it out as "the first Bollywood production successful in the west".
Slumdog Millionaire was made by English director Danny Boyle, the dude behind Sunshine, 28 Days Later, and 127 Hours. It's Bollywood inspired, but not "true" bollywood.