Escape to the Movies: Fright Night

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
When he said "David Tennant", I paused the video, bought tickets online, then watched the rest.

LRRBrad

Jan 4, 2011
Please back up the Conan comment in its own (if there's enough to talk about) - I had been looking forward.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Hungry Donner said:
The real question is, "is it safe for me to bring me wife to see a movie with a shirtless, leather-clad David Tennant" ;)
I'd err on the side of caution. Scienticians believe that a shirtless, leather-clad David Tennant will cause approximately 14 pregnancies per square meter.

OT: Glad the movie is (apparently) good. I was wanting to see it, and I usually agree with Bob on most things. I think I'll go in a few hours. Maybe I can beat the annoying teenagers before they get out of school.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I enjoyed Conan the Destroyer - it doesn't have the depth of the original but I still found it to be a fun D&D-esq movie. The original continues to surprise me, it really is an amazing movie.

When I first heard that Momoa would be staring in a new Conan movie I found that I was actually looking forward to it . . . but the first trailer just didn't look interesting and I've hardly paid attention to it since.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
So it is good huh? Great, cause I really liked the original and I just love it when a remake actually succeeds. Shame I have to wait for about a month before I can see it here.

And they are making a new American Pie movie? Sweet:)
I may be alone in this, but I have always liked the AP movies (except for band camp). And 1 cast member do have a career. Allyson Hannigan is doing pretty damn well in "How I Met Your Mother".

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
RJ Dalton said:
So, wait . . .
The Conan remake is worse than a film about how the civil rights movement was inspired a white college girl looking to prove something to herself?
I can't imagine something being that bad.
This is my feeling on the subject of both movies as well. The Conan remake is worse than "The Help"? I could maybe believe "The Help" if the girl just helped it get started in her own little town and not the whole bloody movement...

As for Fright Night, the moment I saw David Tennant in the ad's I figured I would be plunking down my cash to see it, glad to know it doesn't suck. :D

As for the Conan movie, I'll give it a shot one of these days.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Damn...as fun as it is to hear you rip apart a bad movie (like Green Lantern) I'm glad you did Fright Night. The film looks pretty good though I'm honestly a bit more interested to see the original.

So, looks like I'll be hunting netflix for a pair of classics!

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Susan Arendt said:
Togs said:
Guess the role of thread iconoclast falls to me- the original conan movies were diabolically bad and the new one looks pretty good in a crappy b movie type of way.
Completely disagree. Conan the Destroyer, yes, that's complete crap, but the first Conan is surprisingly good. I went in expecting full-on cheese, but it's remarkably well done.

As for Fright Night, you had me at "David Tennant".
What tiped me off to this one being bad was how different the environment looked.

The first one (to my memory so tell me if I'm wrong) had a more middle east desert world to it, and the main bad guy had the whole strange cult cult leader/god look. However, the impression I got from the trailers was that the main bad guy was more like some kind of medieval king, and Conan seemed to be in a more forest like place.

It all came off to me as Robin Hood only with a shirtless swordsman looking for blood not gold. That doesn't sound so bad typed, but I guess in practice it just doesn't work.

Anyway, happy to see that Fright Night seems to be good. I do like how they are using the old vampire rules. I hear depending on the culture the vampire rules change. I don't know much more than that about it all though.

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
I haven't seen "The Blind Side," so I don't know much about it in that regard but I did see "The Help" with my fiance last Sunday.

Top Critics gave "The Help" a 74% while the audience gave it a 94% on rotten tomatoes. I thought the movie was really good. The acting was great, story was great and for a period piece set in the early 1960's Mississippi, it was spot on. My only complaint was that the movie ran a bit long. The negative reviews I've read from top critics seem to point to how the movie was billed as "the events in this movie sparked a revolution in the mid-1960's." THE MOVIE DID NOT DO THIS! In fact, the movie blatantly points to events occurring outside of Mississippi that help stir up change in the American south. The whole point of the book was to tell a story from the perspective of black maids raising white children in a racially divided south. It was NOT the only reason for the start of the civil rights movement. In fact, the editor of the book basically said "get the book written before this civil rights hype blows over."

Sorry Bob, love your reviews but you're wrong on this one. The white actresses weren't even that good. It was the back maids that stole the show. Viola Davis or Octavia Spencer should win an Oscar. They were both that good.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
is it just me, or do his reviews seem kinda off lately. it seems like his criteria lately hasnt been, "is it good or bad," but rather, "everything out sucks but this sucks less so go see it." i know hes a fanboy and not a serious movie reviewer, but it seems like there used to be much less emphasis on how a movie compares with other movies currently out

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
ImprovizoR said:
I'm still going to watch that movie with Emma Stone. Why? Because Emma Stone is a hot and I actually like her.
You're seeing it just cause she's hot? :) That's funny, considering one of the main goals her character has in the film is to prove that women are more than just pretty things to look at. HA!

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
somonels said:
Also, about the new Fright Night. Great, demonizing male sexuality... that's new, almost as new as demonizing female sexuality. Can we please get over genitalia and sex sometime in the near future?
It's a vampire story - how can it not be about demonizing sex? That's what all the great ones are about - "The Vampyre," Carmilla, Dracula... Oh, yeah, and Twilight as well.

Wow. This has suddenly become a depressing conclusion.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Agent Larkin said:
Its David Tennant playing Nic Cage playing a Vampire Hunter.

What could possibly go wrong?
If that's not a cast iron reason to go see a movie I don't know what is.

millertime059

Jan 7, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Togs said:
Guess the role of thread iconoclast falls to me- the original conan movies were diabolically bad and the new one looks pretty good in a crappy b movie type of way.
Completely disagree. Conan the Destroyer, yes, that's complete crap, but the first Conan is surprisingly good. I went in expecting full-on cheese, but it's remarkably well done.

As for Fright Night, you had me at "David Tennant".
See, I'm with Togs here. I was expecting cheesy B-movie with good action. Theoretically that's what it is. There are just several problems that torpedoed it for me.

-Arnold was terrible, I expected this but still...

-The plot felt very disconnected. Sure the part where James Earl Jones slaughters Conan's tribe is supposed to drive the film, but it felt so separate from everything else that happened.

-The WTF mystical elements. Seriously I have no problem with supernatural forces, but they were so isolated, and always felt more Deus Ex Machina than actually part of the story.

-The characters never felt well thought out, especially the love interest. Perhaps it was poor delivery by her (and Arnie) but any development there felt entirely forced.

I dunno, I wish I saw the same movie you did, because I always enjoy quality B-grade cheese. It's a movie I wanted to like, but just couldn't. Maybe if I rewatched it I'd find what makes people love it, I just have no interest in doing that really.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. Not even you will remember if we were good men or bad. All that matters is that an audience had the testicular fortitude to sit through the '11 Conan flick. Valor pleases you, Crom. So grant me one request. Grant me that Bob was exaggerating in how bad Conan 2011 is. And if you do not listen, then to hell with you!

And yes, the '82 Conan movie does still totally holds up, beyond the shadow of a doubt.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
plugav said:
somonels said:
Also, about the new Fright Night. Great, demonizing male sexuality... that's new, almost as new as demonizing female sexuality. Can we please get over genitalia and sex sometime in the near future?
It's a vampire story - how can it not be about demonizing sex? That's what all the great ones are about - "The Vampyre," Carmilla, Dracula... Oh, yeah, and Twilight as well.

Wow. This has suddenly become a depressing conclusion.
This made me very sad :( ... :<
I had already ceased to associate vampires with the alleged subtext to sexual desires, which you can apply pretty much everywhere, thanks to a little film called "The Man From Earth".

Doomsday11

Apr 15, 2010
Don't really care about Conan being awful due too me seeing this soley too advance jason mormans acting career.Stilll good episode glad tennant performs and farrel also delivers haven't heard of hope till now and won't watch it anyway.
Does the original really still hold up? That just seem's like nostalgia to me.