Escape to the Movies: Gravity

Inithra

Jun 15, 2011
Nope. Not gonna bother. Certainly not in 3D, and most certainly not in IMAX. Don't like Clooney (and BTW, was the bit where Bob told us Bullock spends most of the time with only herself to talk to a spoiler that he dies? Or did we know he dies anyway?), didn't like that one Potter movie really, can't STAND Bullock, and sorry, but career best for Bullock? So, she gives a 3/10 performance instead of a 1? Wow, that really sells it.
MAYBE when it is available in digital form, and ONLY if by then have I forgotten how BADLY Bob steered me wrong on Spring Breakers, maybe then I will give it a chance.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
This is actually a case where the trailers and the descriptions of it as "all action, all the time" discourage me from wanting to watch it. Sounds visually exhausting and over the top. Although I guess the idea of "hopping" from orbital structure to structure is cool.

Kanova

Oct 26, 2011
I don't see how it could be good. Just 80 minutes of someone spinning and going "AHH AHH AHH AHHH OH BABY AHHHHHH"

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I find it funny that bob feels that it's necessary to question what critics would say if this movie didn't have the Alfonso Cuarón quality stamp... I mean.. what would he say if Pacific RIM didn't have the "del toro" seal? Too mainstream to be mainstream? Or is it that scrutiny is only required for things that you don't revere?

On the topic of the movie, it sounds cool. I am a bit skeptical about Sandra bullock because I generally don't find her characters believable. but as Bob notes, and most critics mention, characters are really subtle. And it is mostly a concept... will have to find out myself ;)

chillax408

Nov 6, 2012
Grabehn said:
I'm a bit lost here, what is that "3rd act bullshit" from Children of Men that Bob talks about?
Having read his twitter fairly often, he does mention that the scene where the crying baby stops the battle for a moment as one that took him out of the movie. Here is the scene in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBzWTIexszQ

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Can't quite work out what part of Children of Men he's referring to that partially ruined the movie for him. Personally, I thought it was pretty consistently great throughout.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Escapist users refuse to see it because of trailer soundtrack or potentially bent physics

You know how much of the internet dislikes this forum? This is why. This is also why we've made a "restore the fun to the Escapist Forums" group.

OT: I'm really hyped. This'll be the first time I've been to the movies since Pacific Rim.

mattawbrown

Oct 3, 2012
I was going to go see this until I learned that Alfonso Cuaron, ruiner of the Harry Potter movies, directed it. I find that Cuaron is no better than M. Night.

inidu

Nov 14, 2011
Spaceman Spiff said:
80 minutes of 2 people falling and it was good? I'm not convinced. I'll wait for it to air on TV.
Don't wait for it to air on TV. It's a remarkable movie, and in this case the 3D is actually necessary.

See it in theaters. If you can, see it in IMAX. You won't regret it.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I can't stand both of the lead actors, but love the premise, should I still go watch it?

Note: I can't watch films in 3D, so is that a deal breaker?

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Colour me intrigued.

I actually want to give a special mention to the fact Bob mentioned not liking a part of the movie and then pointing out while he might not like it, many of us might (it just wasn't for him). I really like it when critics do that, far to few consider others might like something.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Doesn't look like my kind of movie. I can understand the sheer depression/fear/frustration/panic that the characters are supposedly going through but I prefer my movies to have a bit more of an actual plot to them rather than "two people play Frogger/The Floor is Lava in space".

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Joe Aguayo said:
Grabehn said:
I'm a bit lost here, what is that "3rd act bullshit" from Children of Men that Bob talks about?
Having read his twitter fairly often, he does mention that the scene where the crying baby stops the battle for a moment as one that took him out of the movie. Here is the scene in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBzWTIexszQ
Ruined? Given the setting, characters, tone... basically the whole context for the film, I'm failing to see how it "ruined" the film. Yeah, seeing the last bastion of hope for humanity giving reason to pause "ruined" everything...

It was pretty much the only positive moment of what was a very down beat film.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Stabby Joe said:
Joe Aguayo said:
Grabehn said:
Ruined? Given the setting, characters, tone... basically the whole context for the film, I'm failing to see how it "ruined" the film. Yeah, seeing the last bastion of hope for humanity giving reason to pause "ruined" everything...

It was pretty much the only positive moment of what was a very down beat film.
I hope that isn't what people are saying ruined the film. I thought the whole children not being born thing was the whole frigging point of the setting being the way it was. To suddenly hear a child cry would cause everyone to stop in their tracks. It'd be like seeing a Pegasus or a dragon.

John P. Hackworth

Sep 21, 2010
Bob drifting in and out of his Boston accent was so distracting I had trouble focusing on what he was actually saying.

John P. Hackworth

Sep 21, 2010
Skeleon said:
lacktheknack said:
You know how much of the internet dislikes this forum?
What does that even mean? Which parts of the internet?
The fibre optic routers have been grousing about how forums aren't nearly as good as Usenet in the 90s. Also, several load balancers had some kind of gripe about Reddit, dunno if that's related....

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Skeleon said:
lacktheknack said:
You know how much of the internet dislikes this forum?
What does that even mean? Which parts of the internet?
Go ask about the Escapist on IGN, GiantBomb, etc.

If you're brave, ask about it on Reddit.

If you're REALLY brave, ask about it on 4chan.