Escape to the Movies: Green Lantern

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Mr. Movie Bob, I've read your stuff on here and watched your shows for quite awhile now. I have never seen you in such a state. Sorry to hear that bro. I know you were looking forward to this one. Still, your review was caustic poetry sir. That was one of your best yet. Great job on that man. wow

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Bob sounds like me after seeing Last Airbender. However, disappointed as I was with it, I at least got enjoyment out of mocking the ever loving crap out of it. So I dunno, maybe if someone else wants to see this I'll tag along.

Also, if this is almost as bad as the first Transformers, then where does that leave us who don't mind that franchise? I think as it stands, I'll take a look at this when it comes out on DVD. Again, unless someone else really wants to go see it.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Ampersand said:
Dare devil was good, It was well above the standard of most of the first good comic book movies anyways.
He also didn't like the Fantastic Four movies. I was surprised by that. I didn't think they were epic or anything, but they were watchable.

chibivash

Apr 2, 2010
now Ryan Reynolds can make a deadpool movie. he seems more suited to the merc with a mouth. here's hoping that won't be a big piece of shit either.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
honestdiscussioner said:
Gaderael said:
I really enjoy Ryan Reynolds, I think he's a funny guy, like in Blade Trinity.
I ate a lot of garlic, and I just farted.
....I thought it was funny. He had some pretty good one-liners in the movie. It was what made me interested in seeing him as Deadpool.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Yeah Ryan Reynolds would probably be more suited to playing Deadpool. Which is good because he will be if I remember correctly.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The problem is that MB is such a comics aficionado that it isn't always easy to tell if he's angry at a comic movie for being a bad movie or just for not reflecting properly on something he remembers fondly.

I'm willing to take him at his word on this one though. Perversely enough, the one shot from the preview he shows of the ring floating towards Hal Jordan reminded me of nothing so much as a scene that tried to use CGI in Warlock: the Armageddon. A movie which came out in 1993 and didn't look state-of-the-art for then.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
I kinda liked it. Was probably the worst super hero movie this year, and if you go to see this instead of X-Men, we've got some issues to discuss, but it was NOT fantastic four bad, I'm sorry. It was, at it's heart, pretty entertaining. It would've been much better if they'd focus'd more on the actual Green Lanterns instead of his boring old Earth friends, but when it was entertaining, it was entertaining. Disappointing, but still had it's moments.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Shit!........I really wanted this one to be at least half way decent. I was hoping all the awful looking CG would have been fixed up by the movies release but apparently someone at the studio thought it look good enough............shit. Well Captain America looks good so I will wait for that then.

Does anyone think that part of the trailer for Captain America were someone shoots at his shield when he asks if it works is funny? I'm just waiting for Captain to say "What the F*^% are you doing firing a live round inside a research center? Do you know how many irreplaceable science nerds we have working in this place? What if a ricochet had killed one of them? Guards take this crazy person to the holding cells!!!"

raven47172

Expert Slacker
Sep 17, 2010
I have heard multiple times now that the movie won't get a sequel. There have been a lot of terrible movies that got sequels. So it would not surprise me if it does get a sequel.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Sigh, I'm not looking forward to it, but I'll see it anyways. I'm too into the comics not to. At least I'll be going in with extremely low expectations. Can't be disappointed that way.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Sounds like someone has their fanboy knickers in a twist.

On the whole... Meh. It was mediocre.

Bad? Not really. There were certainly poorly done moments, and a major WTF moment at the very end in a blatant attempt to set up a sequel that could have been handled so very much better, but on the whole...

Meh.

It certainly wasn't nearly as bad as FF, FF2, Steel, Daredevil, or half of the other films he mentioned it as being "as bad as".

Honestly, 15 extra minutes of the right footage, change about 4 lines of dialogue... and this would have moved from "meh" to "decent". I'm rather depressed that it didn't, but it's almost to be expected when Hollywood tries to make comic book movies.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Color me stunned, I thought that mightve been a good movie. Geez I havent heard a rant like this since Star Trek, or the last Transformers.

Ha I cant wait till his review of Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Callate said:
The problem is that MB is such a comics aficionado that it isn't always easy to tell if he's angry at a comic movie for being a bad movie or just for not reflecting properly on something he remembers fondly.

I'm willing to take him at his word on this one though.
Yeah, there seems to be a fair consensus between the geek film critics and the non-geek film critics, yeowch.

Sometime a movie can be really panned by the critics and still make enough money to be worthwhile but I'm quite skeptical that Green Lantern can manage that. Since the property is largely unknown you can't rely on large numbers of people who'll go see because they love the source material even if critics say it's awful.

Of course WB will simply turn around and blame the fans for their own inability to make a decent movie.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Wow, I feel genuinely sad for you Bob, you didn't deserve this. You and the people who went to see it probably deserved better. As for me, I will get my own opinion of it when I go see it next week (I have a free pass).