Escape to the Movies: Guardians of the Galaxy - Surprise! This Movie Rocks!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Guardians of the Galaxy - Surprise! This Movie Rocks!

Guardians of the Galaxy feels like a great throwback to the classic summer action films of days past with just enough heart to not be distracting.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
What? No ranking of GotG in the Marvel 10? The impression I get is "not as good as The Avengers", and I guess it's not as good as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, then.

You almost sound a little disappointed that this film turned out to be good. I guess meeting expectations is not really exciting all the time.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Yeah, this movie was insanely good. The best Marvel movie by far.

And now I have to go watch everything from James Gunn. I fell in love as soon as the opening credits shots started.

mrhumble1

Dec 16, 2012
The giant Xbox ad is insanely distracting in a bad way. I haven't even watched the review because of this, but it looks like everyone likes the movie so I might not even bother.

Jan 12, 2012
Evonisia said:
What? No ranking of GotG in the Marvel 10? The impression I get is "not as good as The Avengers", and I guess it's not as good as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, then.
I think he might do the ranking in next week's Intermission once he's had some time to chew on it, or maybe in that Marvel-focused series he's doing.

OT: I'll go see it, probably; I'm not too jazzed even after this review, but my friends are. I was hoping they would keep the GotG bit separate from the Infinity Stones to delay the inevitable crossover and give some time to build up the space opera side of things and make the universe seem truly big (If we don't get Civil War, a Planet Hulk would be nice).

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
This film was awesome, the clip at the end of the credits was a total stinger though, no revelations folks, just a 'did they really just put him on screen?' moment.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Planet Hulk would be nice).
That would be brilliant. They need to do something gonzo different with that character.

They finally got him right in the 2nd 1/2 of Avengers when, for no reason, he developed a personality.

Great. Now he has one. Use him.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Another dig at The Dark Knight Rises? Seriously Bob? Seriously. Please stop this shit, it is petty and old and happens in literally every video now.

Anyway, I give it 3.5 / 5 stars. Better than The Avengers for sure.

+ Really good visuals
+ Absolutely hilarious
+ Great soundtrack
+ Likeable main characters
- Plot was unremarkable
- Villains and protagonists lacked depth
- Action was fairly standard run of the mill stuff for the most part

Con #2 is my biggest gripe - so many things were just handwaved when I really wanted to learn a lot more about the various characters and their backgrounds and the cultures of the movie - they could've done some serious world building here but overall that was where it fell the most short.

I can go home and wikipedia them all I want (damn Thanos' appearance was awesome) but I just wanted a bit more background about who the Kree and the Nova Corps were, their traditions and history, and what the background of Thanos' daughters and stuff were and why their relationship between each other and their dad was so weird.

They just needed a bit of downtime between the relentless action scenes to give this rich galaxy a bit of history.

Gonna compare it to Star Wars - in between the action set pieces you get moments on the Falcon where the characters are just talking and developing and I think we needed some of that in GOTG.

Film definitely surpassed my expectations though.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Saw it last night, it's one of the best Marvel movies if not the best, I think that all depends on the tone you like in your movies. Regardless though, if you like the rest of the Marvel movies, you'll love this.

It sounded like Bob was trying to keep his Fanboy in check during the review, hence it came off a little understated. But this movie is awesome. It 100% succeeds in being the comic book movie that it wants to be, but if you're looking for something beyond that genre of movie, it's not that.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Gxas said:

And now I have to go watch everything from James Gunn. I fell in love as soon as the opening credits shots started.
Slither is awesome, but gross, and it has Nathan Fillion in it.

Anyway, really looking forward to this. I just hope it isn't going to be the one film my local skips over in the summer (like they did with Hellboy 2 AND Pacific Rim)

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Anyone getting the feeling that the Infinity Gauntlet will either be a 3-5 hour experience? They are putting a lot of effort in this build up.

And while I haven't loved every Pixar movie, I don't have the feeling they have lost the way so much as a "not every movie can be as good as Incredibles" vibe.

impocalyptic

Oct 31, 2011
I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about the stinger. But I agree with you for the most part. Especially the ending.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Burnouts3s3 said:
I had the same nagging feeling of "it's going to end" when I watched Pixar movies.
That's different IMO. Whereas Pixar made their name creating new and interesting universes, Marvel is just adapting an already pretty well fleshed-out universe. It was kind of inevitable that Pixar would exhaust their best creative ideas and end up in sequel purgatory. But with Marvel, sequels are kind of what you sign up for from the start, and the universe is much more elaborate and expandable than Toy Story, Cars, etc. that pretty much just worked off of one central gimmick/premise.

captcha: "we go forwards"...pretty much sums up the difference for Marvel, while Pixar just started going round in circles.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I loved this movie. My only small issue with it in hindsight is that this movie would have been perfect for introducing Doctor Strange.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
impocalyptic said:
I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about the stinger. But I agree with you for the most part. Especially the ending.
I'm thinking he might not have seen it. It wasn't attatched to the film until the opening week screenings.

As the credits were winding down I was thinking and hoping it was certain things would happen and then bam. "WAAAT? NO WAAAAY." My theatre just started dying laughing. I've heard some say their's reacted with groans and other sounds.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Any self respecting comicbook nerd should know what was in the post credits scene, I couldn't stop laughing it was so shocking XD

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Saw this last night and while its very enjoyable (and will be going again next week), it lacked any emotional weight which meant while I enjoyed spending time with the characters, I never really cared about any of them. I also couldnt get over the fact that I felt like I'd seen a lot of it before as the plot treads very cliche'd ground

Please don't let my comments put you off though as while I was watching it I enjoyed (almost) every minute of it. The way the team came together felt very organic, few of the jokes misfire (though there was a mixed reaction to the Pollock joke) and in terms of universe building Marvel have thrown what feels like their entire space based catalog at the wall and will now be waiting to see what sticks and can be mined further.

Only question now is can JJ Abrams out-do what feels like the best Star Wars film so far?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Gxas said:

Watch Slithers, it has Nathan Fillion in it as well.