Escape to the Movies: Guardians of the Galaxy - Surprise! This Movie Rocks!

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
endtherapture said:
Another dig at The Dark Knight Rises? Seriously Bob? Seriously.
I didn't catch any potshots at TDKR, then again I only listened to the review.

Still, it wouldn't surprise me given how namored Bob is with Marvel.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Doesn't seem like a whole lot was revealed for this review, which is good for me.

I'm going to try and see this movie tonight, but if not, I'll watch it over the weekend when I have off from work.

Jetsetneo

Apr 2, 2010
I can't believe people have the complaints they do about this movie.
It's the Best Marvel Movie by Far. Beats avengers and cap 3 on the 'action scale', beats pretty much any humor moment ever, and just lets the scale and the fan-boyism just let loose. Theres just so much stuff to it, its great.

I feel like Bob is downplaying himself here drastically, because of complaints of over-fanaticism before. Don't let that fool you, any other day Bob would be gushing about this movie. It's a shame he put on his critic pants, because I came for the fanboy pants.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Evonisia said:
What? No ranking of GotG in the Marvel 10? The impression I get is "not as good as The Avengers", and I guess it's not as good as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, then.

You almost sound a little disappointed that this film turned out to be good. I guess meeting expectations is not really exciting all the time.
How do you really "rank" a movie that's so different from all the others? I mean, yeah, Thor and Iron Man are very different, but they still both rank up there as "triple-A superheroes" while Guardians of the Galaxy are B and C-list underdogs.

I like how they were described: If The Avengers are The Beatles, Guardians of the Galaxy are the Rolling Stones.

I'm sure you can "rank" them, but it's like trying to rank your favorite songs from different genres, including classical, rock, rap, and country. Is a great rock song not as good as Beethoven? How does one "rank" greatness on a scale like that?

Ultimately, it sounds like preference. Already I've heard this movie spoken in the same sentence as Ghosbusters, Back to the Future, Star Wars, Firefly, and other classics.

That's good enough for me.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
endtherapture said:
Another dig at The Dark Knight Rises? Seriously Bob? Seriously.
I didn't catch any potshots at TDKR, then again I only listened to the review.

Still, it wouldn't surprise me given how namored Bob is with Marvel.
I am thinking its when Bob said "That used to define the summer blockbuster before the dourness and bloated runtimes". He used a picture of The Dark Knight Rises and Bourne Ultimatum to describe the dourness and the latest Transformers to show bloated runtimes.

I really don't consider it a knock for I consider the Nolan Batman movies to have been the start of the "dark and serious" summer movies and dourness can be used to describe gloomy and severe I think it might be a good way to describe the Batman movies.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Um...I'd like to watch this vid, but unfortunately because it is currently in the form of "click on thumbnail to bring up new window that's not really a new window but is instead supposed to be the video surrounded by a frame that's one big XBOX One ad", it's not playing for me. Any chance we can ditch the use of the "vid by way of adframe" since it doesn't work for everybody?

CAPTCHA: downward slope

What Captcha said.

EDITKINESIS ALPHA: Okay, never mind. Apparently, "Escapist - Like Chrome/Hate IE". Still...work on that, guys. A Microsoft made ad should not be causing a Microsoft made web browser to not work properly.

Glad to see this was a good movie. I have to agree though...Marvel's luck has got to run out at some time. Law of averages and all that.

impocalyptic

Oct 31, 2011
revjor said:
impocalyptic said:
I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about the stinger. But I agree with you for the most part. Especially the ending.
I'm thinking he might not have seen it. It wasn't attatched to the film until the opening week screenings.

As the credits were winding down I was thinking and hoping it was certain things would happen and then bam. "WAAAT? NO WAAAAY." My theatre just started dying laughing. I've heard some say their's reacted with groans and other sounds.
Oh that's right. I forgot about that. But yeah. My theater pretty much did the same. Lots of laughs and lots of "please no!"

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Windknight said:
Slither is awesome, but gross, and it has Nathan Fillion in it.
SonOfVoorhees said:
Watch Slithers, it has Nathan Fillion in it as well.
Meh, that doesn't sell me on it as much as it might someone else. I don't care about Fillion much. He's good, but he's not what most make him out to be, in my eyes.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I can't wait to see this movie because it seems like it's right up my alley. Space operas about rogue characters like Firefly and Farscape are the kind of thing I look out for and always eat up, so I'm probably going to like this movie regardless. I've also always had a thing for the more obscure comic book characters (one of my favorite comics is seriously The Darkness) so this movie has looked like a hit from the very beginning to someone with my sensibilities. Pretty much all my friends and the internet have confirmed I'll love it.

I don't think Marvel movies always knock it out of the park, though; I really didn't care for Captain America: The First Avenger or Thor, but their sequels were superior. To me, it shows that the Marvel/Disney force is willing to learn from their mistakes - something that Sony and Fox aren't. I liked Days of Future Past just fine, but it was still no where near as good as the first two and Spider-man can't continue to skate by on marketability alone. Although he IS being marketed to children, so hey, maybe he can.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Saw it last night and loved it! The dialogue between the characters is hilarious, but sometimes the tone shifts with a jerk, like it began with Peter seeing his dying-of-cancer mom in the hospital. As the son of a brain cancer survivor on their way to recovery, that struck some chords for me.
But, there's a lot of kick-ass action, the characters develop and grow, there's lot of blink-and-you-miss-it background things, and you damn well better stay through the end credits.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
You think we're going to be plagued with tons of racoons plushies?
He looks very cute and marketable.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Il_Exile_lI said:
So you're saying Bob gave a positive review to a Marvel Studios film? Alert the Media!
I'm always a bit confused by posts like this. Yes he positively reviewed the movie. Y'know what? According to Rotten Tomatoes, so did most people [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/guardians_of_the_galaxy/]. Movie quality is a subjective thing, sure, but it's not like his opinion is a weird outlier of acclaim in a sea of complaints. Are you trying to imply the only reason he enjoyed the movie was because it was made by Marvel?

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
Why do you spoil your own videos in the title Bob? I like that your impression of a movie reveals itself gradually. Is that just me?

Il_Exile_lI

Jun 23, 2010
Falterfire said:
Il_Exile_lI said:
So you're saying Bob gave a positive review to a Marvel Studios film? Alert the Media!
I'm always a bit confused by posts like this. Yes he positively reviewed the movie. Y'know what? According to Rotten Tomatoes, so did most people [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/guardians_of_the_galaxy/]. Movie quality is a subjective thing, sure, but it's not like his opinion is a weird outlier of acclaim in a sea of complaints. Are you trying to imply the only reason he enjoyed the movie was because it was made by Marvel?
No, I am sure the movie is good and I look forward to seeing it soon. I was mostly joking and was certainly not trying to call his credibility into question. It's just that the Marvel Studios movies are among those that Bob is very predictable about. Just as it's a guarantee he'll hate Amazing Spider Man movies, it's a very safe bet he's going to like every Marvel movie.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
MovieBob said:
The conceit here is building a classic formula space opera of the kind that used to keep pulp sci-fi magazines and paperback bookshelves stocked to the brim...
Aaah, the kind of shows that were a staple of the '90s (TNG, DS9, Voyager, Red Dwarf, Babylon 5, Farscape, Andromeda, Lexx) - y'know, the decade that apparently sucks.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Gxas said:
Windknight said:
Slither is awesome, but gross, and it has Nathan Fillion in it.
SonOfVoorhees said:
Watch Slithers, it has Nathan Fillion in it as well.
Meh, that doesn't sell me on it as much as it might someone else. I don't care about Fillion much. He's good, but he's not what most make him out to be, in my eyes.
Check out the trailer. Its about a slug alien that comes from a meteorite and takes over a man and intends to take over the world. It quickly takes control of every one in the town with some gross moments in it also which i wont spoil. Its a solid movie - oh and Fillion gets hoofed by a zombie deer. So thats fun. Also got Michael Rooker who played Yondu in guardians.