Escape to the Movies: Guardians of the Galaxy - Surprise! This Movie Rocks!

Dec 16, 2009
revjor said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
in the comics, don't the Nova Corps have something called the Nova Force? make them able to do Superman style stuff. wonder why that element was cut out?
The Nova Force is a gravity based energy projection. Sort of like Green Lantern. They didn't necessarily cut it out. It looks exactly like the shield net and gravity beams the Nova Corps ships used in the movie. I believe whenever they introduce the more powerful Nova Centurions to the MCU, their uniforms will be able to use the gravimetric powers instead of lesser officers having to use their ships like they did in GOTG.

In the trailers I was genuinely concerned that the Nova Corps were just lackey prison guard types. But I think Marvel is just trying to make a concerned effort to distance them stylistically from the Green Lantern Corps. If they go deep into Cosmic Marvel we HAVE to have Richard Rider.
i'd say the only problem I will see is why wouldn't the centurions be there for a planetary wide attack? but i suppose there could have been bigger problems elsewhere?

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Just got back from seeing it myself. It was a definitely a crowd-pleaser, the audience I saw it with was laughing out loud at all the fun and nonsense. Groot was the highlight for me, especially his 'role' in the prison break. Not enough movies make such good use of background humour. Less good was Ronan, who was just another boring take-over-the-universe Marvel movie villain like Christopher Eccleston in the last Thor. Maybe it's because Marvel doesn't have as much to work with as DC when it comes to good comic villains, but it's a crapshoot with these movies as to whether we get bland (Ronin, Christopher Eccleston, Whiplash), or fantastic (umm...just Loki and the Mandarin, really).

Apart from that, my only real problem with the movie was the inconsistent tone. All the reviews I'd read and watched (Bob's included) before seeing it led me to believe it would just be all light-hearted and silly, like the Avengers. But it starts with the most bizarrely dour and depressing opening that would make the origin of Batman look not that bad. But then it transitions to the present day, with Quill dancing around on an alien planet kicking CGI lizards and saying "Starlord, man" like in the trailer. It was jarring as hell.

Also, I'm trying not to spoil, but there are an awful lot of fake-out death moments where it looks like one of our heroes might die, and the movie would always grind to a halt when it happens. But I never bought that they were in any danger for a second, and sure enough it would just get brushed off with a quip and we'd go back to the rollicking space comedy adventure. There's nothing wrong with rollicking space adventure, and there's nothing wrong with injecting a bit of drama, but the movie is almost self-conscious about it. It can't have a serious scene without undermining it with a gag, and the gags are what we're all watching it for.

Also, is it weird that when there's the 'reveal' of John C. Reily's family at the end, I was expecting he'd be gay? I don't know why, during the build-up I thought the surprise would be that he has a husband. That's what they'd do on Doctor Who.

vviki

Lord of Midnless DPS
Mar 17, 2009
Yep, as expected almost nothing but Rooster Vacuuming all the way.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
PunkRex said:
This film was awesome, the clip at the end of the credits was a total stinger though, no revelations folks, just a 'did they really just put him on screen?' moment.
If they do
Howard the Duck
and give him his own movie, they could do ANYONE. I want a Squirrel Girl movie now. That stinger is going to have so many fans salivating because nothing is off limits now, ANYONE from Marvel could be in a movie (except the characters owned by rival studios of course).
I was looking at Squirrel Girl stuff yesterday, i'd love to see her make a cameo in the future.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Well, having just seen this movie last night, I can safely say that I enjoyed it. It started off a bit slow as it introduced each character, but it sold me on each one. I especially loved Peter "Star Lord" Quill and Rocket from the start.

I can say that, like in Avengers, each character had their time to shine, each character was enjoyable and funny in their own way, and I liked each one for different reasons. The movie was pretty quotable, too. Plus, we saw more of Thanos which was nice.

All in all, it was good, not quite as good as Avengers to me, but a close second. It also gives me some confidence that Disney may be able to pull off Star Wars as well.

Now, if you excuse me, I need a prosthetic leg to complete my plan.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
Personally, what really astounded me with Batista's performance is how much he's grown as an actor. After three films, he's now at least competent. Compare to his wooden turn in Man in the Iron Fists. Or his snarky, but one-note bounty hunter in Riddick.

endtherapture said:
- Villains and protagonists lacked depth
While I agree that the villains are a bit on the one-dimensional side, I really can't say the same about the Guardians themselves. Quill and co. were fleshed out quite well. I don't exactly know how much more depth you want from a talking raccoon that goes through the entire emotional spectrum in the course of two hours. Rocket I think has just unseated Gollum as the best CGI character.

The only Guardian who didn't really make sense to me was Gamora. Her character's motivations felt like they were coming from nowhere. The other Guardians' character development was a lot more organic.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Remus said:
Robot-Jesus said:
Metaphor?
That thing Drax cannot comprehend. He's like that super-serious person everybody knows that takes everything they say on its literal interpretation and not on actual usage. This makes for some good comedy when Starlord starts throwing out old skool colloquialisms that everyone but Drax at least somewhat understand.
Well to put it more accurately his species speak in literal terms, making metaphors go over his head.

I'm really looking forward to the Nova Centurions, I wonder how they'll handle it though.
They few in number or have they all been wiped out tll Richard inherits the last Centurions power (Ala Abin Sur in Green Lantern).

I think the latter is more likely as there's no reason it wouldn't work in the cinematic universe and as mentioned the net used by the Nova ships resembles the Nova force, plus it would explain there absence too.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
Mr Ink 5000 said:
revjor said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
in the comics, don't the Nova Corps have something called the Nova Force? make them able to do Superman style stuff. wonder why that element was cut out?
The Nova Force is a gravity based energy projection. Sort of like Green Lantern. They didn't necessarily cut it out. It looks exactly like the shield net and gravity beams the Nova Corps ships used in the movie. I believe whenever they introduce the more powerful Nova Centurions to the MCU, their uniforms will be able to use the gravimetric powers instead of lesser officers having to use their ships like they did in GOTG.

In the trailers I was genuinely concerned that the Nova Corps were just lackey prison guard types. But I think Marvel is just trying to make a concerned effort to distance them stylistically from the Green Lantern Corps. If they go deep into Cosmic Marvel we HAVE to have Richard Rider.
i'd say the only problem I will see is why wouldn't the centurions be there for a planetary wide attack? but i suppose there could have been bigger problems elsewhere?
i'd like it if the centurions were created specifically because of the events of the GOTG. Xandar realizes that the Nova Corp as is isn't good enough so they build centurion suits or possibly so many Corps members died in Ronan's assault that the Nova Force is now more concentrated.

Dec 16, 2009
revjor said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
revjor said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:

i'd like it if the centurions were created specifically because of the events of the GOTG. Xandar realizes that the Nova Corp as is isn't good enough so they build centurion suits or possibly so many Corps members died in Ronan's assault that the Nova Force is now more concentrated.
I could live with both of those reasons to be fair. after all, we accepted Batmans broken back could be fixed with a rope

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Dirty Hipsters said:
If they do
Howard the Duck
and give him his own movie, they could do ANYONE. I want a Squirrel Girl movie now. That stinger is going to have so many fans salivating because nothing is off limits now, ANYONE from Marvel could be in a movie (except the characters owned by rival studios of course).
No, what you want is a short format (think: ten minutes like Adventure Time) Squirrel Girl cartoon which always starts with her just having defeated some kind of global or cosmic threat offscreen and has adventures on the way home from doing that.

That would be the best way to capture the core of the character, that she's singlehandedly beaten basically all of Marvel's biggest and baddest. Off panel. With squirrels.

Oh, and it needs to have this:

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Idrawuglypeople said:
Oh Boy! Guardians of The Galaxy is out! Time to rejoice in the Marvel church of *wink wink* witty dialogue and smug- mugging camera close ups. Isn't it wonderful that Marvel is putting out such a risky project that everybody loves with a talking Racoon? They are the GOOD GUYS you guys, they make movie for US! They get US! The geeks took over the world, and they tap into our child selves. It's REVOLUTIONARY!! just like Link having a vagina!!! Imagine that!

*image removed for obvious reasons*

Am I a Furry now? I never drew furry before so I dunno, do I get a letter of something?
You are trying so very very hard to troll in this relatively obscure forum, Mr. I-Have-Three-Posts-Total. Has it been working well for you so far?

You'd have a bit of a point, maybe, if 92% of the review community didn't agree with MovieBob according to Rotten Tomatoes. You don't have to feel bad for being one of the 8%, but you should feel bad that you have such internet rage about it, you had to actually spend useful time drawing an effigy to your hateboner. Weaksauce, complete and total weaksauce.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
It was a very happy birthday to me for this movie to come out. It hit that balance of comedy and action that I love. Witty and deep (but not too deep) at just the right times. It's a good movie despite some flaws. Yes. It's not perfect, and I think the movie knows that. It doesn't aspire to be the best, but rather be damn good with what resources it's given itself.

GreenSkin99

Sep 13, 2013
Quiotu said:
Idrawuglypeople said:
Oh Boy! Guardians of The Galaxy is out! Time to rejoice in the Marvel church of *wink wink* witty dialogue and smug- mugging camera close ups. Isn't it wonderful that Marvel is putting out such a risky project that everybody loves with a talking Racoon? They are the GOOD GUYS you guys, they make movie for US! They get US! The geeks took over the world, and they tap into our child selves. It's REVOLUTIONARY!! just like Link having a vagina!!! Imagine that!

Am I a Furry now? I never drew furry before so I dunno, do I get a letter of something?
You are trying so very very hard to troll in this relatively obscure forum, Mr. I-Have-Three-Posts-Total. Has it been working well for you so far?

You'd have a bit of a point, maybe, if 92% of the review community didn't agree with MovieBob according to Rotten Tomatoes. You don't have to feel bad for being one of the 8%, but you should feel bad that you have such internet rage about it, you had to actually spend useful time drawing an effigy to your hateboner. Weaksauce, complete and total weaksauce.
We like to call that the 'Transformers Defense'. See, if the majority do something, it must be right! If everyone went to go see it, it must objectively be a good movie. And by golly, if the patron saint of geeks Moviebob, who has never once been wrong on anything, says so, then it is the damn truth!

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Dirty Hipsters said:
PunkRex said:
This film was awesome, the clip at the end of the credits was a total stinger though, no revelations folks, just a 'did they really just put him on screen?' moment.
If they do
Howard the Duck
Apparently they just filed a trade mark for Squirrel Girl.....which apparently they usually do when they are going to try and make a movie out of a character. Meaning if that's true and she is coming Marvel is just showing off now.

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
GreenSkin99 said:
Quiotu said:
Idrawuglypeople said:

We like to call that the 'Transformers Defense'. See, if the majority do something, it must be right! If everyone went to go see it, it must objectively be a good movie. And by golly, if the patron saint of geeks Moviebob, who has never once been wrong on anything, says so, then it is the damn truth!
Did you like the movie, though? We would like to hear your opinion on the movie. If you did or did not like it, why?

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Evonisia said:
What? No ranking of GotG in the Marvel 10? The impression I get is "not as good as The Avengers", and I guess it's not as good as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, then.

You almost sound a little disappointed that this film turned out to be good. I guess meeting expectations is not really exciting all the time.
Having seen it, that's my take on it. It sits as the #3 best Marvel movie to date. Winter Soldier wins #1 just because it is the best tightest piece of filmaking of them all. You could pull the superhero costumes out and it still works. Just wondefully crafted on every level. it works the same way the Dark Knight works. Above and betyond being a good Batman movie, its a good movie. Avengers and Guardians are honestly near neck and neck. Guardians actually has better chemistry among the primary cast and is a little more fun to watch them. But Avengers edges ahead based on Loki. If Ronan had a bit more backstory and depth, rather than just the generic "EVIL" this could have easily been the best of them.

if you have any 10 or 100 year old boys in your family group take them to see this. It's probably the closest anyone has yet come to recreating that moment in the summer of '77 when our worlds changed and the rise of the geek began. It's not as good as the original Star Wars (well not as good as A New Hope or Empire. I'd put it above Jedi), but it's still damn good. And possibly the most fun movie of the summer.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
KazeAizen said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
PunkRex said:
If they do
Howard the Duck
Apparently they just filed a trade mark for Squirrel Girl.....which apparently they usually do when they are going to try and make a movie out of a character. Meaning if that's true and she is coming Marvel is just showing off now.
I would so laugh my ass off if Marvel throws Squirrel Girl into the Avengers Age of Ultron post credits scene, just to bring truth to that meme of Squirrel Girl making it to the big screen before Wonder Woman.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
faefrost said:
KazeAizen said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
PunkRex said:
If they do
Howard the Duck
I would so laugh my ass off if Marvel throws Squirrel Girl into the Avengers Age of Ultron post credits scene, just to bring truth to that meme of Squirrel Girl making it to the big screen before Wonder Woman.
That would be something. You know what would be even better? If they got Tara Strong to actually be her. I know she's a voice actress and all but come on. She's Squirrel Girl in that Marvel game, she's attractive, and that would just bring even more geek cred to the MCU. We'll see what happens. I mean at this point they can literally do and are doing anything they want. The post credits scene of Thor 2 showed that they are going to go super into what I like to call "next level shit" for the serious stuff and the post credits scene of Guardians with [redacted] showed they can and will put whatever character they damn well want in this universe and they have license to do so.

Meaning Sony and Fox better hold those franchises they own close to the chest and start mining them for what they are worth because at this point the MCU is unstoppable.