Escape to the Movies: Machete

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I personally have always loved Danny Trejo, almost always see him as a villain, nice change (sort of ;) )

Definantly going to check it out!

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Sounds good! I figured there would be something about the border debate in there, I remember a line from the movie where someone says "We didn't cross the border! The border crossed us!" which had me giggling and rolling my eyes at the same time, as it was meant to do. I'll probably hit the theater for this one.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
This is one I already wanted to see.
I loved the Grindhouse flicks, and Rodriguez is just freaking awesome.
Sign me up!

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Again, I feel like MovieBob missed the point of why people really disliked his Expendables review, but moving on from that...

I never would of thought that a movie like Machete, which was basically made as joke, would turn out like the way you described it. I might check it out, if I find someone to watch it with, since I usually don't like to watch movies by myself.

IronyIsGood

Mar 21, 2010
Not a rope huh?
I'm guessing it's a fire hose. I used to wonder if they could support the weight of a person.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
If you're too impatient to wait to see what the "rope" is, just watch the red band trailer on Youtube. WARNING: It also contains nudity, on top of the gore.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Oh, dear, what a cast. I have to see it just because of that.

I seriously hope you're right about this one and it actually sounds like a lot of fun.

Incidentally, this week's column is still about that movie? Oh, dear.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
Soylent Bacon said:
If you're too impatient to wait to see what the "rope" is, just watch the red band trailer on Youtube. WARNING: It also contains nudity, on top of the gore.
If it does, how is it on Youtube? Just curious.

Also the movie sounds interesting enough to watch :)

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Yeah, it looks pretty good, and it's one of your best reviews in a while. It's made me want to see a film I wasn't interested in 5 minutes ago :D

But just one thing, "isn't a party more fun when you're celebrating something?".... you didn't go to a lot of parties, did you? :p

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
I'm speechless. The movie with the Minigun motorcycles and weaponized low-riders is a deep political thriller?

I don't even know what to think. I think I need to see more of the movies he reviews.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
Ha, don't even mention the 'great cast' in this forum, we're trying to forget that debacle from a few weeks ago...

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I haven't exactly seen a movie with a shit ton of action for quite a while now, so i'l think i'l definatly check this out.

Great episode this week!

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
What the hell did he mean by "a fairly poor summer." Did he suddenly forget about Inception, Toy Story 3 and Scott Pilgrim vs the world.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
No intermisson? aww. OT the movie looks awsome but i don't know when it will come out here in sweden.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Wolf Devastator said:
Soylent Bacon said:

It's an official video with a red band warning at the beginning. I guess that's good enough for it to not be taken down.

Actually, now that I searched it again, there are more red band trailers uploaded unofficially that just have the gore.

jamescorck

Jan 25, 2010
I already want to see the movie, and I will keep an eye out for the political implications MovieBob mentions. I want to see if they are really there or if we are over-reading too much into it.

Just Craig

May 21, 2010
"Weaponized Low-Riders."
I think I'm now required to see this or else I'll be kicked out of Albuquerque...

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Wolf Devastator said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Ha, don't even mention the 'great cast' in this forum, we're trying to forget that debacle from a few weeks ago...
Debacle? What do you mean? Are you referencing that other movie? If so, it too had great cast.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
In the Ependables review he talked about how Crews deserves to be more famous than he is; how about Danny Trejo? He's great to watch regardless of the material and really does deserve a fair bit more fame than the little that he has.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I was going to pass on this movie, thought it was just stupid action the polotics make it sound interesting. Finally can get my freinds to come to a political movie with me :D

House_Vet

Dec 27, 2009
Intestines or - perish the absolute hideousness of the thought.... Think a little lower....

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
MovieBob said:
Fun fact, the movie star (who also been in around 125 films up to this point) was a real Mexican gangster, who spent his jail time working out and turning himself around. When he got out, one of his probation buddies was a producer for a film and saw that Danny was the perfect "scary Mexican bad guy" that film needed.

hoboofdeath42

Mar 15, 2010
anyone else notice the "Spy Kids" connection? Doesn't Danny Trejo play a guy codenamed Machette, and the priest guy play 'uncle Felix'?

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
run_forrest_run said:
What the hell did he mean by "a fairly poor summer." Did he suddenly forget about Inception, Toy Story 3 and Scott Pilgrim vs the world.
Yeah, this has been the best summer in a long, long while.
Well, I've always liked Rodriguez, so maybe I'll check it out.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Furrama said:
Intestines? Just a guess.
Wouldn't that be slimy though? You'd think it would be hard to hold on to.

Anyway, this looks okay, might see it on DVD.

EDIT: Forgot to mention how awful the spirit was. Dear god, I almost cried when showed it's poster.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I didn't know this was coming out and after i knew i didn't it would be good but it looks great. Is that "rope" intestines? I didn't know he was a prision boxing champio, or that he was in prision at all.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
GUESSING GAME TIME:

Okay without looking it up what do you guys and girls think it is? I'm guessing someone's spine. Wait that's too long. Fuck. Okay what do people think.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
hoboofdeath42 said:
anyone else notice the "Spy Kids" connection? Doesn't Danny Trejo play a guy codenamed Machette, and the priest guy play 'uncle Felix'?
Yeah, I noticed that too. From what I've seen so far, you could probably go through the whole movie pretending that it's an ultra-violent Spy Kids prequel and it would probably fit.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
For those who don't know what the "non-rope" is, just read his latest "Intermission" article.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
wrecker77 said:
I'm speechless. The movie with the Minigun motorcycles and weaponized low-riders is a deep political thriller?
It really isn't, unless you're one of those people who see art in vague splashes of paint on an otherwise blank canvas.

What it is, though, is Bob's attempt at sounding smarter than he actually is in order to justify himself into liking this picture, but slamming Expendables - despite both of them being essentially the same, minus the boobs.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
hoboofdeath42 said:
Trejo as "Machete" was also in Desperado, except Antonio Banderas killed him rather easily. This version of Machete seems Way more badass.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Ok so I do like movies better when they are about something. Although Bob it seems that you tend to lose your shit over anything that is "relevant", so Im gonna take this review with a grain of salt.

Player 2

Feb 20, 2009
IronyIsGood said:
Not a rope huh?
I'm guessing it's a fire hose. I used to wonder if they could support the weight of a person.
That's what the "rope" was.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
(grumble) Hollywood aggrivates me. Yeah, I bet this is fun, and I'll probably see it anyways, but I know I'm gonna be doing
alot.

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
So this is a real movie? Saw the trailer way back, but didn't think they'd really make a movie out of it. And it is also good? My mind is blown.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
So, the narrative equivalent of "Let's kill all the white people" somehow makes a movie's ridiculous action sequences more tolerable to you? Obviously our standards differ, Bob.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
It sounds awesome, I can't believe this movie is actually finally being made. That it really will come to be, should be incredible.
... in the next three months or so it takes for it to reach Australian cinemas but still, I look forward to it regardless.

Still, considering he spent so much time stating how much he loved the dumb fun of Piranha in the last video you'd think he'd at least mention it in this review in the context of how sad it is that certain action movies don't feel the need to have a brain. Like you know just a clarifying 'sometimes this is okay when it's made to be fun' statement or something because otherwise it kind of looks like he is disregarding his original stance on the movie.
Still, I liked Piranha 3D and agree with his assessment so I'm not too bothered by it.

Still I disagree with his assessment of 'fairly poor summer*' because sure we got Killers and Marmaduke but we also got Toy Story 3, Inception, Scott Pilgrim, Splice, Predators and Piranha 3D. It seems like a pretty fun lineup of movies overall.

Still, this movie does look amazing and I certainly want to give it a watch.

*I live in Australia, it is actually the winter season over here.

titaniumChampion

Nov 27, 2009
I've noticed this sort of trend with any critic's final review.

Drug Use - Check
Graphic violence - Check
Reference of current political turmoil - Check

And last but not least, Nudity - Check.

Critics [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/machete/] HAVE love this one, since it hits all of their points. In place of the nudity, they also could have used a Depressing plot.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I'd like to check this out. I'm a big fan of Rodriguez's work, and this looks like it'll be his crowning achievement.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Soylent Bacon said:
Wolf Devastator said:
Soylent Bacon said:

It's an official video with a red band warning at the beginning. I guess that's good enough for it to not be taken down.

Actually, now that I searched it again, there are more red band trailers uploaded unofficially that just have the gore.
I saw that one on Gametrailers or IGN, I can't remember. But some YouTube videos make you log in with your account to get around those kind of restrictions as well. Doesn't really matter, since YouTube doesn't care about violence, only sex, nudity and copyright infringement. Someone uploaded the extremely bloody Japanese horror movie Suicide Club over two years ago, and it's still there.

mocruz1200

Jan 17, 2009
IronyIsGood said:
Not a rope huh?
you are dead wrong my friend =]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Well, if the political message in this movie amounts to nothing more than the usual "republicans are bad", it's probably going to be just as engaging as Avatar.

Still, Robert Rodriguez is a very good director so it'll atleast be a good action flick. But I am getting a little tired of all these over the top funky action movies.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
'pirahna is good, it had blood and boobs in 3D'

'movies are better when they have a point'

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
SpiderJerusalem said:
wrecker77 said:
It really isn't, unless you're one of those people who see art in vague splashes of paint on an otherwise blank canvas.

What it is, though, is Bob's attempt at sounding smarter than he actually is in order to justify himself into liking this picture, but slamming Expendables - despite both of them being essentially the same, minus the boobs.
Cant you just get over it ?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Sick to death of these people screaming 'you missed the point about why we hated your expendables review'. He gets the point and the fact that you are arguing against it is somewhat oxymoronic. He called you idiots for liking that film because in his professional* opinion, the film had nothing resembling plot or fun, it was pure idiocy and thus those who argue their rights to like it are idiots.

*professional: someone who is paid to do something as a profession. Just so you don't go around spouting 'what ever, MB isn't professional after that'.

OT: Good review, I quite enjoy politically driven films, whether they be drama, comedy or even sci-fi. This, this action premise, this sounds fucking amazing. I must see it.

LordLoudmouth

Dec 29, 2009
this proves 3 things:
1. Rodriques is multitask miracle
2. All that is from Rodrigues must kick ass
3. He says "itll be done" its will be done

Pills_Here

Dec 10, 2009
I wonder if Hobo with a Shotgun will get the same treatment. Part of me hopes it does, part of me hopes it doesn't.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
Sick to death of these people screaming 'you missed the point about why we hated your expendables review'. He gets the point and the fact that you are arguing against it is somewhat oxymoronic. He called you idiots for liking that film because in his professional* opinion, the film had nothing resembling plot or fun, it was pure idiocy and thus those who argue their rights to like it are idiots.

*professional: someone who is paid to do something as a profession. Just so you don't go around spouting 'what ever, MB isn't professional after that'.

OT: Good review, I quite enjoy politically driven films, whether they be drama, comedy or even sci-fi. This, this action premise, this sounds fucking amazing. I must see it.
Someone calling his reader/viewership idiots and then trying to take the high road by reminding that he is a professional is a fine turn down the douchebag lane that Yahtzee already took.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
This should be redeeming after disappointment of The Expendables (I'm not sucking up to Bob, I was just underwhelmed).

Mikeyfell

Aug 24, 2010
this is a good sign
maybe that "Feast" movie (also a trailer from grindhouse) will come out too

then maybe Kung Pow 2

CronoT

May 15, 2010
As far as moviebob mentioning Bill O' Reilly and The View as possible sources of "RAAAAWWWR!!! Hulk Smash!" reactions come Monday morning, most of the people who would like and/or go see this movie probably only watch those shows solely as a means of Drinking Games.

Guy A: "O' Reilly just said something completely unsubstantiated and totally out of context!"

Guy B: "That's 5 shots of beer! Man, he's on a roll tonight."

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I was going to go see this whether or not Bob liked it.

But the whole thing about the brain either on or off thing... I prefer it either on or off.

There's no real plot to them but I have enjoyed Crank, Crank 2 & Shoot 'Em Up for all basically being brain off movies.

On the other hand I've also enjoyed Daybreakers, District 9, & The Wrestler for being brain on movies.

"And the 3rd ones messed with the lights"

Such as Smoking Aces which was a brain off movie until they got to the plot twist at the end. Sending assassins to kill a guy & take his heart without telling them why only to need it for a heart transplant... yeesh... my brain turned on. The lack of information the assassins got had any of them destroyed the heart in the process there would have been no point in sending them. The movie could've been better had the assassins knew yet didn't blurt it out during the movie.

Opposite of that I went to see Splice with my brain on. Thinking it could be possibly the kind of pro science movie that Richard Dawkins would approve of. Only for the movie to be anti-science & turn itself into a LMN movie... In other words the kind of movie I would have never gone to see.

As for brain on movies Bob pointed out I thought Robo Cop 3 sucked (2 was okay), never cared for Godzilla, & every sequel to Rambo was meh.

But if I had to choose between brain always off or on during a movie I'm going with off. My brain being on is more reserved for Vlogs such as richarddawkinsdotnet & AronRa on youtube. Because the most important thing to me about brain on topics is that they don't have to have special effects, fight scenes, etc to make them good topics. That said I suppose if I had to choose between a party about science or a discussion about science going on at the same time I'd choose the discussion. Because in that case I don't see the point in pussyfooting around a serious issue.

Finally I am most likely going to watch machete with my brain off. I don't have to think about Fox & Friends being right because I know they're wrong. Viva La Long Haired Dudes & Violence!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
SpiderJerusalem said:
Zeeky_Santos said:

Someone calling his reader/viewership idiots and then trying to take the high road by reminding that he is a professional is a fine turn down the douchebag lane that Yahtzee already took.
Your argumentation has continued unrelentingly for the past 2 week. At this stage I do not expect you to understand movie bob's perspective on this.

This conversation is over. You are not baiting me into any further argument. You will receive no further reply. You have not won.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
Zeeky_Santos said:

Your argumentation has continued unrelentingly for the past 2 week. At this stage I do not expect you to understand movie bob's perspective on this.

This conversation is over. You are not baiting me into any further argument. You will receive no further reply. You have not won.
I didn't even realize I was arguing with you or anyone. Simply expressing a point which these forum talkbacks are for - and to which I felt a proper response hadn't been given.

But hey, if you do feel like getting your panties in a twist (like so), then more power to you. Personally, I never enjoyed that sensation, despite my critical posts over what I consider to a display of hypocrisy.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Falseprophet said:
Soylent Bacon said:
Wolf Devastator said:
Soylent Bacon said:

I saw that one on Gametrailers or IGN, I can't remember. But some YouTube videos make you log in with your account to get around those kind of restrictions as well. Doesn't really matter, since YouTube doesn't care about violence, only sex, nudity and copyright infringement. Someone uploaded the extremely bloody Japanese horror movie Suicide Club over two years ago, and it's still there.
Ah, ok. It's officially on IGN, and unofficially on Youtube thanks to linusfetzt. It does have nudity, which makes it a little surprising that the video wasn't removed. It's not as bad as porn, since it's just a few seconds of T&A, with no full frontal, but I've seen videos removed, or at least flagged for less. Even with my account, I've had to click a confirmation button to see flagged videos, but maybe they changed that...

snow

Jan 14, 2010
This is the kind of review that I like to see, thank you for going back to what made Escape to the Movies enjoyable for me. Very informative, especially since I haven't heard of this movie before, I am now considering going to see it.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
I have been looking forward to this movie ever since I heard they were making it! I loved Grindhouse, and Rodriguez' movies appeal to me. My only complaint is that it has no specified release date in Norway yet, which easily means 2-3 months of waiting. Sadface.

standokan

May 28, 2009
I saw the fake trailer and it was awesome, this is one of those movies which ll do good a dvd.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
MovieBob said:
Fun fact, the movie star (who also been in around 125 films up to this point) was a real Mexican gangster, who spent his jail time working out and turning himself around. When he got out, one of his probation buddies was a producer for a film and saw that Danny was the perfect "scary Mexican bad guy" that film needed.
Equally fun fact, that probabtion buddy was convicted bank robber Eddie Bunker who went on to play Mr Blue in Reservoir Dogs

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Huzzah a positive review! I was getting worried about the summer since Toy Story 3 looked like being the only must see.

Also, no bleeped swearing, double huzzah!

Raregolddragon

Oct 26, 2008
Bla I am not going to go see a movie that flues racewar idea or the idea of another nation invading Texas because its there idea of an right to be here.

titaniumChampion

Nov 27, 2009
Zeeky_Santos said:
Your last line reminded me of the ending of Wargames [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWjlCaIrQo].

In reply to your post I have two things to mention, since you were the one to bring the Expendables history into this thread. One is that I think you are ignoring people that genuinely respected MB's opinion to say that he didn't like the film and were (rightfully) outraged by his comments about the audience. Some people may not agree, but at least we can voice our opinions on the interwebs.

Two is that while MB is a "professional" in the sense that you defined. There are multiple definitions for the word. People were not saying the word professional and implying that he didn't have a job. But rather that he is bound to "exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace." [http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/professional]

In conclusion, I feel that there is no clear winner of the Expendables thread and thus the only victory is not to discuss it at all.

/Expendables Thread

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Angron said:
'pirahna is good, it had blood and boobs in 3D'

'movies are better when they have a point'
But The Expendables is bad because it did better than my favourite'

Sure Bob, you make good points regularly and I would even know that this or Splice existed if it wasn't for you, but there's some big double standards going on.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Please, stop with the exaggerated 'SLOOOWW MOOOOO' voice bit, because it sounds ridiculously cheap. I know you do it for emphasis but it's painful to listen to!

Yay for no bleeped swearing as the poster above me said, definite positive there

The movie... Well, i'm sure the movie is fun, but it doesn't strike me as being my cup of tea. It looks just as brainless as the title (and trailer) suggests, and while it might be politically charged and well made and all the other points you covered, it can't shake that grindhouse feel and i can't help but associate that with a mindless gorefest of debauchery and an excuse to kill people in often over the top and hilarious ways.

I would argue that while (from what i could gather) the movie seems to be dissenting white supremacy(?) over (possibly illegal? i don't know much about the film) immigrants, it feels like there's a slight tinge of racism from those same minorities towards whites. "All whites are evil and we will kill them in gory ways and use violent weapons! We will make them our metaphorical *****!". I don't know enough of the plot to know if it's really portrayed in this way but it just seems to me from the video that it's an excuse for a bunch of minorities to get together and kick the shit out of white folk, even if they are supremacists. And it's discomforting. But then i suppose that's what movies like this are made for, to make you feel out of your comfort zone a bit.

I'm not saying any of the characters in the film don't have it coming, and i'm certaining not sympathising with 'white supremacy' in any way; i'm just saying that from a broader political spectrum we've gone from "the poor immigrants; we should understand their position" to "now immigrants have power and are becoming the more dominant peoples through means of violence" which feels just as one sided as what the movie is criticising. It stimulates the idea of a race-war over ideologies and in today's multicultural society where tensions are already high from sensationalist news stories and angry politicians this doesn't help things. As a white person, i feel somewhat threatened by the what the movie is suggesting. It certainly doesn't seem to promote cultural diversity. It promotes cultural supremacy

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I remember being dragged down the hall in my halls of residence and having my mate yell "THEY'RE MAKING MACHETE!!!!" and we were all stoked.

It's good that it's looking awesome but the fact that is even being made...

Nodrog

Dec 9, 2007
Apparently, Moviebob also likes "Fuckin' rainbows". How does that work?

I kind of want to see this movie now.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
To answer Bob's question 'don't you just feel better when they give you something to think about?':

No. No, not always. Some movies are art, some movies are just plain dumb entertainment, some are miraculously both at the same time. When I'm in the mood for something dumb, after a way too overstimulating day, the Expendables or anything like that would be perfect. So no, Bob, stuff to think about is not always better.

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
Soooo....
Its a movie that would requite being an American to understand?
Coz i dont get it.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
hoboofdeath42 said:
You are correct sir!

Moviebob made this movie sounds pretty good too bad I don't like high gore and lots of nudity in my films so I'm going to give it a pass.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
stuff to think about is always better; that's what also gets me about liking junk movies on this site because you can get the exact same experience a stupid action movie brings ON ANY FRIGGIN' ACTION GAME (though with better writing, direction, editing, etc, etc). Seriously, people my age shouldn't NEED to watch that crap anymore because a game legitimately DOES have an excuse for not prioritizing writing. I do prefer stuff to think about in my narratives, though occasionally you do get holier-than-thou preachy bullshit more often than not.

Anyway, I'm not sure I agree on the political issues thing, but I have been looking forward to this (even if Rodriguez has directed some iffy films unlike his buddy Tarantino who HASN'T made a bad film). Guess even Rodriguez couldn't curb Seagal's ego.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
When you were first talking about how it's a political movie with something to say my first thought was
"Ok in ten seconds he's going to say that he was kidding and that this is a mindless movie." Guess I was wrong. I need to see this movie now.

jaing1138

May 25, 2010
If i can pesuade a few of my friends to make this a day out for then i'll probably see it but i'll buy the blu ray/dvd in either case. It does look better than the expendables because:
1: its a fake great trailer turned into what seems to be a decent film
2: its main attraction and gimminck is not the cast unlike the expendables whose marketing tactic was to prostitute in a way a bunch of action movie stars whose careers have mostly bombed prior to this (at least Bruce Willis had the sence to only make a cameo though id thought jet li would have had more sense)- Though i think MB was a bit over the top with the review to a degree-
3: I've always wanted to see a robert rodriguez film but havent seen any others aside from predators that i've wanted to buy/see.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I had never seen this even adveretised, and i think for god reason too - Certainly not something I would want to see anyway

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
I have been looking forward to this film since I watched the fake trailer.

I am going to see this the day it comes out in the UK

For all of you wondering what the rope is?

Check this video out [http://tinyurl.com/29nbzwn]

lumpenprole

Apr 15, 2009
RE: Executive Decision

It's funny because I just re-watched that. I still remember my old film theory prof recommending it to me. I said "Steven Segal?" and he said:
"Nah, it's cool, he dies"

Still holds up. Kind of funny to see how much of that cast went on to be fairly well known. Might be the first thing I ever saw Oliver Platt in.

RE: Machete

I already wanted to see it, and now I want to see it more. Thanks, MovieBob.

DiscoAtThePanic

Sep 3, 2010
I usually find myself agreeing with Filmdrunk.com alot more often than I do with Bob. They only gave Meh-chete a C+. I have never liked Robert Rodriguez movies as much as the nerdsphere does and I am deffinately not going to rush out and see this. Maybe the Dolalr movies, maybe wait for Cable.

loophole92

Jul 29, 2009
Engaging in subtle digs at The Expendables doesn't equal you shutting your, as of recently, arrogant mouth. I thought you couldn't get any lower after last week but kudos for beating all expectations. Machete looks fun though

DiscoAtThePanic

Sep 3, 2010
Zeeky_Santos said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
Zeeky_Santos said:

LOL yeah way to not comment. Don't hate on other people for wanting the last word when you and Bob keep trying to have the last word. Expendables was Entertainment. Thats what a Movie is. Thats what people pay for. No one gors tot he movie to Not be entertained. To pretend it's otherwise is either dishonest or confused.

idiot445

Aug 19, 2008
The line about Executive Decision being Seagal's best movie made me laugh really hard. Everyone forgets he's even in that, but I can't agree more that it's his best film.

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
As a Mexican-American, I applaud Robert Rodriguez not only for his work as a visionary director but one who fully embraces his roots as a fellow Mexican American (Tejano, technically...but hey, unlike the rest of the gits here in So-Cal, I have no ill-will towards the Great State. Funimation, Id Software, Retro Studios, all in one state? Awesome.)

Someone had to make a statement on behalf of not only Latinos, but on behalf of those of us who realize that it's not the immigrants but the politics that's the problem. And Rodriguez as an established member of the community, is one of the better members to make a statement.

Viva Rodriguez!

Solusumbra

Apr 23, 2010
do they at least concede that its reasonable to expect people immigrating to this country to learn english? i mean, its not really that big a thing, its really not racist at all, and i would really respect them for that.

after all, just because we have a rep as the "land of opportunity", or whatever, doesnt mean we shouldnt hold our immigrants to the same standard every other country does.

other than that, theres not much about the immigration debate that could piss me off. i even agree with a fair bit of it. my main two staples are "no illegal" and "speak english". once thats established, come on over.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I would like to see what the "racist" Senator is like.

Is he a cartoon-ish villain that hates people only for their skin color
OR
Is the character a "left wing described" racist that wants border security, an end to illegal immigration and the problems it has caused.
(and in case you didn't notice, or are an extreme left-winger THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TOO)

The debate on illegal immigration has taken the such a dramatic turn that people who even consider sealing the border, and wanting people to immigrate legally and follow American law are call racists (keep in mind Mexican Immigration Law is 10x worse then the U.S.).

I have nothing against anyone of any skin color. All people are equal in the eyes of the law (and of God if your religious), but that means everyone must be TREATED EQUALLY UNDER THE LAW, therefore if your white, black, hipsanic, Indian, Arab, Asian, or come from Canada, Mexico, the UK, Iraq, China or Japan YOU NEED TO COME IN LEGALLY AND FOLLOW OUR LAWS, and SPEAK THE LANGUAGE.

EXAMPLE: If I ever intend on moving to another country to work, first thing I'm going to do is pick up Rosetta Stone and learn how to communicate and do business in that country. Just because your of Hispanic-origin, doesn't mean you should expect us to bend over backwards to communicate. IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Now, if charities and churches want to offer English classes to help the poor people, that's great.

How in God's name is that view "racist"? If anything its the most "fair and equal" way to do things. Everyone is treated the same under the law.

Now, if the movie didn't have a message (like MovieBob was saying is a bad thing), then it could be pure fun, but if I have to be treated with lines like "we didn't cross the border, the border crossed us" (which is the biggest bunch of bull crap I've ever heard), then I can't enjoy it.

Red Rum

Feb 25, 2008
I heard their making the "Hobo with a Shotgun" trailer into a real film.

If you've never heard of "hobo" it's because it in the Canadian release of Grindhouse.

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
By the way: Movebob, it'd be "Roberto de las Peliculas", not "Peliculas de Roberto". Spanish grammar is weird like that.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
PhiMed said:
So, the narrative equivalent of "Let's kill all the white people" somehow makes a movie's ridiculous action sequences more tolerable to you? Obviously our standards differ, Bob.
Funny thing, when you had to shoot T-virus zombies in RE 5 that just happened to be black, it was "Oh my God, Capcom's a bunch of racists" No one cared when it was Americans or Spaniards (ironically enough)

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
At the start, your rant, no, not really. Meaning something doesn't really improve it. Fireworks are just as good without meaning, same with everything else.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
Zeeky_Santos said:

Granted I'm just looking at this one post and don't know everything that's been said, but from what I've seen, I had to jump in.

Main thing is, everything is up to personal tastes: I hate a lot of stuff, and I like a lot of stuff. Some of those things you may hate or love too, and somethings we disagree on.

The Expendables wasn't the best movie in the world, it wasn't really that good, but I didn't walk out of the theater regretting the 2 hours of my life and $8 either. If someone enjoyed it, then more power to them, it neither "picks my pocket or breaks my leg" (Thomas Jefferson).

Basically, its not right to assume someone is an "idiot" or a lower organism because they enjoy cheesy action flicks.... there are other criteria more important in discovering the worth of a person.

Mr. Doe

Aug 15, 2009
Well shit. Once again moviebob has pissed in my cornflakes, I was going to see it but now I learn the politics arent just a throwaway thing to get the plot rolling so now Im on the fence again. Moviebob says alot of good stuff but then again he said good stuff about Piranah 3D and wanted more modern stuff from the expendables then it was willing to give and again The Apartheid analogy in District 9 didnt work for me because it was all brought down by a single mech piloted by a dude with a goofy name (for us here in 'Merica at least)and I would like to say that political analogies dont need to be analogies; if you want a movie thats about something make it about that! not about space people that happen upon something that resembles that. nobody ever makes a movie that acutally just comes out and says "This shits wrong!" they always have to waste a perfectly good action/sci-fi moive. (not the case with Machete because Machete is just a joke ripped from a joke and then filled with things to piss off Glenn Beck but shut up Im trying to say something here) I think that we should give Action and Sci-fi a chance to work on their own merits just to see if people are coming for the woosh bang fun or for political/moral/religious Strawmen shooting each other in the face if its the former then why all the polotics? if its the latter then why not fucking make the movies about the actual thing? oh and in respones to Bobs question about "isnt it better if you think about it after?" my answer is "sometimes" its kind of like murder, when it happens to someone else you might hang your head and think "whats the world coming to" but when it happens to your mother (or someone close to you) you take it alot worse, and to make this conversation more difficult Why arent there any Right wing action movies like this? Why isnt Dick Cheyne making a movie called "THE PATRIOTEERS" where he and Bill O'Reily go out and save the world from "The evil (bad guy's name)! with his army of Nuclear Scorpions!" wouldnt it be moronic to hear Cheyne say that? wouldnt it piss you off if that got made and then people all hated whatever they were strawmanning? Im sorry escapistmagazine.com forums but it pisses me off that I had to hear my douchebag classmate talk about how "Military industrialism is the devil and we'd be better off living like the Na'vi" for a while and while were at it the Na'vi lived like cavemen, you know exactly what we have been trying to avoid for like thousands of years, they lived without pants, healthcare, the surplus that allows you to be an unemployed slacker dickweed without dying (only applies to the people who support "Natural living") or the governmental system that prevents sociopaths like Stalin from taking power (and apparently diplomacy considering how quickly they declared "Fuck you with arrows Military strawman!" was their entire foreign policy) and to close a final few questions, is this revenge for the right wing having all the talk shows that arent comedy? is the left wing too juvenile to make something entirely serious? does the right wing have a massive stick up their collective ass?(yes) will someone take my idea of THE PATRIOTEERS and run with it? (most likely not)

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
loophole92 said:
Engaging in subtle digs at The Expendables doesn't equal you shutting your, as of recently, arrogant mouth. I thought you couldn't get any lower after last week but kudos for beating all expectations. Machete looks fun though
Butt hurt much?

Seriously. I hate to pin point you, but Jesus H. Christ people, he said something you all hated, ya'll got mad. It's been a few weeks now, the ship has sailed. I mean, I can understand your outrage, but it's over with now.

Bob is back to normal and everything's smooth now. Can we just move on like adults?

That being said, I enjoyed your video this week Bob. I really wanted to see Machete and I'm glad you gave me a little more insight on it. Thank you for going back to normal.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Just Craig said:
Furrama said:
And trust me, that's not-- by far-- the craziest scene in the movie.
lol that guy now has a mouth on his stomach but I've seen the review cinema snob did on it so I have some intense scenes from that movie

O.T. I've wanted to see this film ever since the grindhouse trailer plus wasn't there supposedly another grindhouse trailer that was suppose to become a real movie

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
bah. I was hoping for a review of "Tomorrow, When The War Began"

AlexTaldren

Aug 7, 2007
Brockyman said:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I would like to see what the "racist" Senator is like.

OR
Is the character a "left wing described" racist that wants border security, an end to illegal immigration and the problems it has caused.
(and in case you didn't notice, or are an extreme left-winger THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TOO)

The debate on illegal immigration has taken the such a dramatic turn that people who even consider sealing the border, and wanting people to immigrate legally and follow American law are call racists (keep in mind Mexican Immigration Law is 10x worse then the U.S.).

I have nothing against anyone of any skin color. All people are equal in the eyes of the law (and of God if your religious), but that means everyone must be TREATED EQUALLY UNDER THE LAW, therefore if your white, black, hipsanic, Indian, Arab, Asian, or come from Canada, Mexico, the UK, Iraq, China or Japan YOU NEED TO COME IN LEGALLY AND FOLLOW OUR LAWS, and SPEAK THE LANGUAGE.

EXAMPLE: If I ever intend on moving to another country to work, first thing I'm going to do is pick up Rosetta Stone and learn how to communicate and do business in that country. Just because your of Hispanic-origin, doesn't mean you should expect us to bend over backwards to communicate. IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Now, if charities and churches want to offer English classes to help the poor people, that's great.

How in God's name is that view "racist"? If anything its the most "fair and equal" way to do things. Everyone is treated the same under the law.

Now, if the movie didn't have a message (like MovieBob was saying is a bad thing), then it could be pure fun, but if I have to be treated with lines like "we didn't cross the border, the border crossed us" (which is the biggest bunch of bull crap I've ever heard), then I can't enjoy it.
I feel the exact same way.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
There again, this might be the greatest way of getting an opposing message across, by running it thru a highly entertaining movie. People may not agree with it, but they'd at least have to think about it for a moment, which will be a step in the right direction.

Let's face it, the majority of people don't really listen to politicians and news anchors, but I imagine this is going to be seen by a good few million people.

for me, it just looks like a real fun, roller coaster kinda action movie, and I'm up for it!

pauloalbatross

Nov 10, 2009
Why do we in the UK have to wait until the 26th of November? That's nearly a full 3 months I have to wait for it, by which point I'll probably have forgotten all about it until it's too late. Unfortunately the cinema schedule for the time between now and then isn't exactly filling me with joy.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Well, I was considering seeing this until I found out it was one of those "kill whitey" movies that supposed to make me lament the problems of the people who took our jerbs! Makes me pine for those days when a movie with Cheech Marin was guaranteed to feature mindless, drug-addled humor. Also it reminds me why I enjoy mindless movies like Die Hard where a lot of shit blows up and I'm not expect to challenge my point of view that "Hollywood" deemed wrong many moons ago.

I wonder if The Expendables is still playing?

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Brockyman said:

OR

Freaking quoted for Truth.
I want to see the movie but, if the Senator is the example B "Racist" then it will effect my enjoyment of the movie a bit.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
The best Steven Seagal movie is Executive Decision? Wasn't he barely in tha-

...OHHHHH... I get it. :D

jefequeso

Feb 26, 2009
I completely disagree that movies are better when they have "a point". In fact, I find that movies with some sort of hidden agenda annoy me. A lot.

skeanthu

Nov 16, 2007
fii,

There now that is off my chest, will wait till the middle of next week, this is labor day weekend, and that means one BBQ and one more care-free day of beer-hammock-rest.

Yog Sothoth

Dec 6, 2008
Definitely gonna go see this now, I was on the fence before... Thanks for the great review Bob!

rorymclean12

Apr 2, 2009
you know whats really annoying bob. the movies you review look good you make them sound and look good but the annoying thing is that my town dosint have a cinima well not anymore so i cant see most of these film unless well there is the other way to watch films *shifty eyes* but its not the same i want to see these great films in the cinima but i cant which makes me sad because your reviews make them look so good. anyway good review keep up the good work.

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
Toy story 3, Inception, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, What are you talking about bad summer? all 3 are safely on my top 10 list of movies!
Oh, and when I saw the fake trailer, I thought they had really cut to commercial because I could easily see it becoming a movie,

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
I've been made fun of by my friends for finding meaning in movies. They say it ruins movies that don't have meaning for me. This, of course, isn't true. I can enjoy a mindless movie if it is entertaining and/or a good story well told; but when a mindless movie *isn't* entertaining and *isn't* a good story well told; I then voice my disapproval of the movie and my friends say I didn't like it because it wasn't "about" something. Does anything like this happen to any of you? (The smart ones of you, specifically)

I was first introduced to Danny Trejo in a video game called "Def Jam: Fight for New York" which was a pandering video game with a cast of just about every rapper from the Def Jam lineup as a playable character including Snoop Dog, Method Man, Redman, Fat Joe, Busta Rhymes, and Ice-T. It was kind of weird to play at first because the culture was so different from my own, but the fight mechanics were good and some of the music was fun to listen to. That, and the fact almost every rapper was playing a characterized version of himself was kind of refreshing. It ended up being a fun game I played often and invited friends over to play as well. Danny Trejo was one of the main bad guys in the first and second act of the story campaign and one of the better playable characters in the multiplayer mode. Needless to say, when I saw Danny Trejo in a movie a few weeks later, I was glad to see him and have been ever since.

I had my doubts about Machete because it was directed by Rodriguez, not Tarantino, and I am apparently one of only ten people in this entire country who liked Death Proof a lot and thought Planet Terror wasn't good. I was afraid Machete would be another movie similar to Planet Terror, but it turns out I liked a lot of Robert Rodriguez's other movies (that I didn't know at the time were directed by him) so I'll give this one a shot.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Yes, Danny Trejo was in prison. He was doing time in San Quentin and after he got out he got his big break in the movie business mostly starting off as a thug in films most recognizable in Desperado as an assassin with throwing knives.

I assume the "not rope" is the chain weapon that you see him using in the review video.

elcamino41383

Mar 24, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
wrecker77 said:

And it really isn't that good. It was alright, but...I really think this woulda been better as a (god forbid) mindless action flick instead of throwing such a plot (albeit a good one.) The fleshed out story telling took away from it, at least that's how my friend and I felt. I guess we just prefer mindless action in an action movie...

Oh and that scene where he has the leather trench coat filled with machetes....NOT THERE

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Woohoo. Good to know it's as good as it looked.

Anyone know when the fuck this is coming to UK cinemas?

badumtish

Jun 4, 2010
Now I haven't seen it but I certainly plan on it because Robert Rodriguez is awesome. But is it just me or does it seem like MovieBob really overstates the content of films. Like with Scott Pilgrim when he talked about how deep it was, when really all the message was it hard to get over other peoples baggage. Or district 9 when all there was there was the message that apartheid is bad (oversimplified but you get the idea). Either way this looks awesome.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
MB202 said:
Again, I feel like MovieBob missed the point of why people really disliked his Expendables review, but moving on from that...

PLEASE stop mentioning the expendables review, it just starts the war agin and I hate listing to the bitching its jsut to petty for me to handel after like 2 weeks

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Canid117 said:
Furrama said:
You've seen the youtube clip haven't you?
Nope. Wasn't aware of this movie's existence until today. I just thought of the nastiest rope like object I could think of.

radicaledward92

Dec 29, 2009
MB202 said:

I never would of thought that a movie like Machete, which was basically made as joke, would turn out like the way you described it. I might check it out, if I find someone to watch it with, since I usually don't like to watch movies by myself.
Why because people dont like being told how stupid they are?

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Furrama said:
my thought exactly as my hand moved to my belly :p
seems a good call, might go see it (IF it's in its original language)

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
radicaledward92 said:
MB202 said:

Come on now stop it you two Im sick of it and many others are as well. the dead horse has been beaten enough stop it

DiscoAtThePanic

Sep 3, 2010
Sir John the Net Knight said:
Well, I was considering seeing this until I found out it was one of those "kill whitey" movies that supposed to make me lament the problems of the people who took our jerbs! Makes me pine for those days when a movie with Cheech Marin was guaranteed to feature mindless, drug-addled humor. Also it reminds me why I enjoy mindless movies like Die Hard where a lot of shit blows up and I'm not expect to challenge my point of view that "Hollywood" deemed wrong many moons ago.

I wonder if The Expendables is still playing?
Hey, now! Stop expecting Movie Bob to ever side against any attempt by hollywood, even a retarded attempt like this, to add pretentious political posturing to a short bus film like this!

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Brockyman said:

OR

Our country does not have an official language. If anything, you should be learning Spanish. Really, it's not that difficult. Also, "border security" is a fool's errand. Anyone who really wants to enter this country is going to regardless of the law. The amount of drain on public services by illegals doesn't compare to the amount we spend failing to keep them out. We should just give up and help them integrate into society with social security cards, rather than making them second class citizens and criminals.

The reason people throw the word "racist" around so freely is because of the amount of widespread panic over the population of Mexicans in an area that used to BE Mexico. It's a little silly.

DiscoAtThePanic

Sep 3, 2010
joebear15 said:
radicaledward92 said:
MB202 said:

Come on now stop it you two Im sick of it and many others are as well. the dead horse has been beaten enough stop it
When Movie Bob goes an entire review without mentioning the Expendable backlash and how wrong everyone was, then the forums will let it die. So far, he hasn't

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
hmm this movie really caught on to me for some strange reason, I might just check it out.

pretzil

Jan 30, 2010
Wow, I can't wait to rush out and see this movie, when it gets to Australia... IN NOVEMBER

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
STOP GIVING JESSICA ALBA ATTENTION

She's a horrible actor, and nice T&A doesn't forgive it. Damn, the attempt to make her look smart and "sciency" in fantastic four by only putting her hair back and a pair of glasses made her look like more of a joke than she already is.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Wait wait wait wait wait. Is that Danny Trejo riding away from an explosion on a motorcycle with a minigun strapped to it?

Welp, guess I'm seeing this movie.

wehrp3nguin

Dec 21, 2009
zelda2fanboy said:
Our country does not have an official language. If anything, you should be learning Spanish. Really, it's not that difficult. Also, "border security" is a fool's errand. Anyone who really wants to enter this country is going to regardless of the law. The amount of drain on public services by illegals doesn't compare to the amount we spend failing to keep them out. We should just give up and help them integrate into society with social security cards, rather than making them second class citizens and criminals.

The reason people throw the word "racist" around so freely is because of the amount of widespread panic over the population of Mexicans in an area that used to BE Mexico. It's a little silly.
1) English is 'compulsory' in most, if not all, American schools. While most colleges ask you have four years of a foreign language, Spanish isn't mandatory.

B) You know how in the 'movies' people who rob banks and commit crimes often plan on "jumping the border" to Mexico? Well, people who do that in real life get caught and rot on Mexican jail, because... THEY ARE Criminals, and not for the crimes in the USA (I don't believe Mexico expedites convicts), but for illegal immigration. Turns out, Mexico doesn't like people going into their country illegally... It's a little silly don't you think.

#) They can integrate all they want, until they start killing/raping/robbing people.

))) I Honestly wanted to see this movie when I saw the trailer, but now that its all political, and not just some guy getting revenge for his family... I'm a little iffy

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
He respond to the flamers on the other side whom then flame him and continue the cycle. It has to stop i dont care whos right and whos wrong or has their feeling hurt this d bag showdown is dragged on long enough and both sides have to let it go. I dont care Who got the last blow STOP

Phantom64

Jan 25, 2010
Well I'm definitely going to go see it. Don't particularly care for the message but hey this movie's not trying to take itself seriousl anyway. XD

though not to spark a political debate I just got to say this. I don't want to kick every illegal alien out of the country I just want them to secure our freaking border! Is anyone paying attention to those psychotic Mexican drug cartels (who have pretty much destroyed Mexico from the inside out) who have been taking advantage of our pisspoor border security to smuggle drugs, weapons, and people acoss it? If we don't fix this soon our Border States will be having to deal with the same anarchy that Mexico is dealing with.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
joebear15 said:
He respond to the flamers on the other side whom then flame him and continue the cycle. It has to stop i dont care whos right and whos wrong or has their feeling hurt this d bag showdown is dragged on long enough and both sides have to let it go. I dont care Who got the last blow STOP
Or you can do what the majority of us have been doing so far and ignoring those posts.
That is how you effectively stop flame wars and trolls.

Jinjiro

Fresh Prince of Darkness
Apr 20, 2008
Danny Trejo deserves many more lead roles - he's awesome. He's been Hollywood's go-to guy when they need a scary looking Latino guy for years, and now he's showing he can kick ass as a frontman instead of supporting cast. Way to go Mr. Trejo!

I also will be seeing this movie. This movie looks like a blast, and there's just something about Michelle Rodriguez that gets me hot under the collar. Can't wait.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
wehrp3nguin said:
1) English is 'compulsory' in most, if not all, American schools. While most colleges ask you have four years of a foreign language, Spanish isn't mandatory.

B) You know how in the 'movies' people who rob banks and commit crimes often plan on "jumping the border" to Mexico? Well, people who do that in real life get caught and rot on Mexican jail, because... THEY ARE Criminals, and not for the crimes in the USA (I don't believe Mexico expedites convicts), but for illegal immigration. Turns out, Mexico doesn't like people going into their country illegally... It's a little silly don't you think.

#) They can integrate all they want, until they start killing/raping/robbing people.

))) I Honestly wanted to see this movie when I saw the trailer, but now that its all political, and not just some guy getting revenge for his family... I'm a little iffy
1) What schools teach is not the law. If it were, I'd probably be in jail for talking during lunch.

B) Yeah, so you want our country to be more like Mexico? I don't. Seems like you've got some fishy info there. You don't even need a passport to get into Mexico. You need one to get back. Mexican cops might bother you if you hung around a lot and wanted to live there, but even if you had documentation, they'd probably do the same thing anyway. They like bribes. Also, bounty hunting for ex cons in Mexico is illegal and that's how Dog the Bounty Hunter first got famous. Dog got arrested for capturing a wealthy rapist named Andrew Luster who had been successfully living under an assumed name for a few months. Luster was subsequently extradited back to the US - NOT kept in Mexico for breaking immigration laws.

#) Uhhhhhh. Are you suggesting that Mexicans are more likely to commit murder? No idea why someone might think that's racist. Not a clue. Maybe you shouldn't go see Machete.

Aulleas123

Aug 12, 2009
Nurb said:
STOP GIVING JESSICA ALBA ATTENTION

She's a horrible actor, and nice T&A doesn't forgive it. Damn, the attempt to make her look smart and "sciency" in fantastic four by only putting her hair back and a pair of glasses made her look like more of a joke than she already is.
And she has the herp... oops.

I'm probably gonna skip this one, I don't need to see any race being categorized as being "bad" or "good".

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
To be honest, I'm kinda worried about this flick, I mean I'd really like to see it but it's reminding me of another Rodriguez movie I wasn't particularly fond of.

Considering all the characters and story lines this movies seems to be jam packed with, I'm worried this might end up being another Once upon a time in Mexico, and I hated that movie.

What I don't want is a movie that turns out to be a complete mess, clusterfucked with so many unnecessary characters with their pointless side plots inconveniently shoehorns in, to where you barely get any time with those that matter.

If I'm to go see Machete, I'm going to go see it for Danny Trejo's performance, I don't want to see fifty side kicks chewing up the scenery as the main antagonist deals with 50 of his own.

I can't emphasize this enough, I really don't want two thirds of the movie introducing me to who's who in the world of Latin American actors and what they've been doing since that last Robert Rodriguez disaster....0o

For me that's exactly what Once upon a time in Mexico was, and unlike Sin City, none of the 1 dimensional caricatured, 2 minute noteworthy characters were any ways interesting to say the least...0o

RDubayoo

Sep 11, 2008
Wonderful, I think I get the gist of this movie already. If you oppose illegal immigration and believe that the laws of the United States should be enforced, LUL YUR A RACIZT. Wonderful! Meanwhile, lives are being destroyed in Arizona and elsewhere by the very illegal immigrants Rodriguez wants us to feel sorry for.

Kiss my ass Rodriguez. And for that matter, anyone who adopts the easy, "Oh, just show compassion and let them stream in" attitude which will only result in disaster can kiss my ass, too. You're naive, stupid, and guess what? YOU are the racist for favoring these illegal immigrants over legal citizens just because the former happens to be a little browner.

Louzon

Apr 9, 2009
So, if you don't like the idea that a movie "Doesn't have to be ABOUT something", can you tell me what Piranha 3D was about? And I hope there's more than just "naked hot girls on spring break" as what you mean by being "about something"...although you did bring up attractive females in this one too...

Anyways, another good movie review, I guess I'm just still a little mad about being called a sheep and the worst kind of person, but that's going away. :)

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I feel like such an idiot. I hadn't realized that Michelle Rodriguez looks so...
damn.
Incidently, wasn't Machete the name of Trejo's character from the Spy Kids movies (also directed by Robert Rodriguez)? Makes you think, doesn't it?

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Louzon said:
So, if you don't like the idea that a movie "Doesn't have to be ABOUT something", can you tell me what Piranha 3D was about? And I hope there's more than just "naked hot girls on spring break" as what you mean by being "about something"...although you did bring up attractive females in this one too...

Anyways, another good movie review, I guess I'm just still a little mad about being called a sheep and the worst kind of person, but that's going away. :)
Piranha it's about the fear of the powers of nature. It's like Moby Dick but with less existentialism and more tits.

Man, can't believe I wrote this shit.

In fact, Bob is kind of wrong (in my point of view), every movie is about something (except The Road). The question is, you give a crap about the "thing" which the film deals? And the way it did?

Draconalis

Sep 11, 2008
I saw Piranha followed by Machete. Tits in 2d are better than tits in 3d... cause they don't give me a headache.

But yeah, I liked it enough to see it again in the near future.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Brockyman said:
PhiMed said:
Funny thing, when you had to shoot T-virus zombies in RE 5 that just happened to be black, it was "Oh my God, Capcom's a bunch of racists" No one cared when it was Americans or Spaniards (ironically enough)
Has to do with the whole 'white dudes mowing down Africans' thing being sort of charged imagery (you know, institutional racism across the world, African genocide, etc...). The two aren't equal. At all.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
RDubayoo said:
Kiss my ass Rodriguez. And for that matter, anyone who adopts the easy, "Oh, just show compassion and let them stream in" attitude which will only result in disaster can kiss my ass, too. You're naive, stupid, and guess what? YOU are the racist for favoring these illegal immigrants over legal citizens just because the former happens to be a little browner.
You're the only person I know who has actually equated legal and illegal immigrants with the 'brownness' of their skin. I'm not even going to get into the immigration argument here, but that statement was just...woah.

So yeah, go on about naive stupid people please.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
joebear15 said:
MB202 said:

PLEASE stop mentioning the expendables review, it just starts the war agin and I hate listing to the bitching its jsut to petty for me to handel after like 2 weeks
Hence why I said "moving on from that", implying that I didn't mean to make too big a deal about it.

radicaledward92 said:
MB202 said:

Because it's insult, especially when that might not be true!

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Past 4 movies he's reviewed it's just like wow. I think he formulates his opinions about the movie before seeing them, and then tries to find things in the movie to justify his opinion.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
So without diverging into the border discussion(which is too big to cover in a couple of sentences) I would like to know how "The others guys" which is a stupid funny movie doesn't get a mention for its commentary on government/corporate shenanigans while "Machete" which is a stupid gory movie gets praise for its social commentary?

Amarsir

Jul 7, 2009
Bob, I don't always agree with your reviews, nor do I have to. But this time I can't even get on board with what you're trying to praise. "Two-dimensional characters become better when you turn them into straw-man arguments." Really?

It wasn't the "about something" that made First Blood and District 9 so good. It's that the relation to real-world issues allowed them to create realistic characters that kept the movie grounded through the unrelatable setting. That's not the case with Machete. This movie plays the characters as cartoons and then says "if you want to hate real people based on these fictional ones I just made up, go for it lol!" The movie is fun and creative and this anvilicious "about something" message is clearly the worst part.

And it's not like you actually think "about something" is this praiseworthy habit that is worth calling out in any movie. I don't recall you saying "The Book of Eli takes the overused apocalyptic world but delivers a message about the power - for good or for harm - of religion." No I believe it went more like "Dude, the Bible? Snore! Why couldn't it have been like a Dane Cook DVD?" (See, I can do that too. It's not clever, is it?)

How about this for an alternative theory, Bob? You don't care if a movie is "about something". You liked it because there was creative violence. But you're a professional reviewer. You can't give a dedicated review and call it "one of the year's best" based simply on that! Maybe that cuts it for a toss in reference like Piranha 3D, but not for something high profile. So you have to grab at something lofty-sounding, lest you lose this illusion of superiority.

Of course if you don't like that theory there's always the change that you're the type of intellectual who prefers his opinions be based on fiction over facts. But I think I was being kinder the first time.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
Zeeky_Santos said:

Now Zeeky, you say you won't reply but I think I you're actually saying "haha, you cannot budge me, I am irreconcilable". You can't just get the last word in like that. You're just being overly touchy. There's spirited and lively debate here and I don't think you understand the discussion, but after being set in your ways for 2 weeks, I do not expect you to understand everyone's perspective.

Everyone makes mistakes, and that's ok, but a person needs to acknowledge that to move ahead and learn. Bob needs to do this, and you need to do this.

:3

HyperionToASatyr

Apr 15, 2009
I enjoyed this movie and all, but dammit, MovieBob, stop ruining my fun. Between this, last week's double-header of Piranha and Centurion, and the INCREDIBLY unacceptable review of Expendables before that, you've been getting damn pretentious. Action movies don't get better when they get smarter--they become genre hybrids, which are cool, but not straight-up action films. And Machete's political allegories weren't that heavy--such as they were, they were as much a sendup of the goofy, over-the-top political puffery of old blaxploitation movies like Super Fly and Shaft (or really any exploitation subgenre, for that matter.) So seriously, Mr. Chipman--get down off your soapbox.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Well, if the political message in this movie amounts to nothing more than the usual "republicans are bad", it's probably going to be just as engaging as Avatar.
And exactly how engaging is that?

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
HyperionToASatyr said:
I enjoyed this movie and all, but dammit, MovieBob, stop ruining my fun. Between this, last week's double-header of Piranha and Centurion, and the INCREDIBLY unacceptable review of Expendables before that, you've been getting damn pretentious. Action movies don't get better when they get smarter--they become genre hybrids, which are cool, but not straight-up action films. And Machete's political allegories weren't that heavy--such as they were, they were as much a sendup of the goofy, over-the-top political puffery of old blaxploitation movies like Super Fly and Shaft (or really any exploitation subgenre, for that matter.) So seriously, Mr. Chipman--get down off your soapbox.
So basically what you're saying is:

Huh, maybe I'll actually like this then.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
I guess this film represents what the politicaly paranoid in the media and government assume the issues brought up might lead to in real life.

The Noble Shade

Dec 24, 2008
hoboofdeath42 said:
I noticed that too, when I first saw the trailers.

Teeth Kicker

Jul 13, 2010
Just watched this movie. When I saw the trailer for it in Grindhouse, all I could think about was how awesome of a real movie it would turn out to be...and my presumptions were correct! Loved every second of it, very similar style to "Planet Terror" in the way it was filmed. Best action movie of the year in my opinion, if you're looking for mindless violence done well.

I thought the first five minutes of this film was honestly better than "The Expendables" all-together. However bitter sweet that smug look on Arnie's face was in that movie...it just wasn't very memorable. But to each his own I suppose.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
KingPiccolOwned said:
Casual Shinji said:
About [----] this much.

Erick.S

Jun 4, 2010
Gralian said:
Please, stop with the exaggerated 'SLOOOWW MOOOOO' voice bit, because it sounds ridiculously cheap. I know you do it for emphasis but it's painful to listen to!

Yay for no bleeped swearing as the poster above me said, definite positive there

The movie... Well, i'm sure the movie is fun, but it doesn't strike me as being my cup of tea. It looks just as brainless as the title (and trailer) suggests, and while it might be politically charged and well made and all the other points you covered, it can't shake that grindhouse feel and i can't help but associate that with a mindless gorefest of debauchery and an excuse to kill people in often over the top and hilarious ways.

I would argue that while (from what i could gather) the movie seems to be dissenting white supremacy(?) over (possibly illegal? i don't know much about the film) immigrants, it feels like there's a slight tinge of racism from those same minorities towards whites. "All whites are evil and we will kill them in gory ways and use violent weapons! We will make them our metaphorical *****!". I don't know enough of the plot to know if it's really portrayed in this way but it just seems to me from the video that it's an excuse for a bunch of minorities to get together and kick the shit out of white folk, even if they are supremacists. And it's discomforting. But then i suppose that's what movies like this are made for, to make you feel out of your comfort zone a bit.

I'm not saying any of the characters in the film don't have it coming, and i'm certaining not sympathising with 'white supremacy' in any way; i'm just saying that from a broader political spectrum we've gone from "the poor immigrants; we should understand their position" to "now immigrants have power and are becoming the more dominant peoples through means of violence" which feels just as one sided as what the movie is criticising. It stimulates the idea of a race-war over ideologies and in today's multicultural society where tensions are already high from sensationalist news stories and angry politicians this doesn't help things. As a white person, i feel somewhat threatened by the what the movie is suggesting. It certainly doesn't seem to promote cultural diversity. It promotes cultural supremacy
I was thinking along the same lines while watching the trailer and Bob's review.
Take the same plot, switch all the Mexicans with whites, and all the whites with Mexicans - you'll have everybody crying "RACISM!!!1" till their eyes fall out.

All I see is a bunch of criminals murdering people, and justifying it based on their ethnicity. Art? More like hate-speech with miniguns (which, btw, do not have an area-of-effect when mounted straight on a motorcycle).

On the good side, it's probably still better than 'the Spirit'. Probably.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
I'm marking this to my must-download-in-at-least-720p list right away.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
KingPiccolOwned said:
Casual Shinji said:
About [----] this much.
Yeah I can see that. Hey just for the sake of "What if", what would you think of Rodriguez doing a Gungrave, or Hellsing movie?

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
KingPiccolOwned said:
Casual Shinji said:
KingPiccolOwned said:
Casual Shinji said:
About [----] this much.
Yeah I can see that. Hey just for the sake of "What if", what would you think of Rodriguez doing a Gungrave, or Hellsing movie?
Well, I never saw Gungrave, but Hellsing seems straight up Rodriguez' ailey I'd say.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Gralian said:

You sir (or madam), said everything about the movie that I am too damn ineloquent to be able to put in words.

You earn cookies.
Ice cream cookies.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
KingPiccolOwned said:
Casual Shinji said:
KingPiccolOwned said:
Casual Shinji said:
About [----] this much.
Well, I never saw Gungrave, but Hellsing seems straight up Rodriguez' ailey I'd say.
We need to show it to him.

Also here's an AMV (if you can stand them, as many I know can't) of Gungrave set to Alabama 3's Woke Up this Morning to show you what the show's about.
Enjoy.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
The Border problem in America is "one of the biggest debates in modern culture?"

Huh, I just thought it was the US version of the "Polish Problem" in Britain: Polish are coming over to make a living by willingly doing REALLY crap jobs REALLY cheaply because NONE of the British want to do those jobs, and yet the locals still complain that the Polish are "stealing Jobs" and "Not Being English"

Strikes me that there isn't a lot of argument for the USA side. Mexicans are being repressed and slightly discriminated, simple as, I think. Of course, if anyone in that area knows more about the problem, I'd be glad to hear it.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
A movie doesn't have to be about anything deep to be enjoyable and by the same token, just because a movie has a deep meaning doesn't mean it's going to be good. Take Citizen Kane.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
HyperionToASatyr said:
He is not just recently getting pretentious. He is a professional critic and they are all pretentious pricks. He can not get off his soapbox when that box is his career.

I do want to know he thought of a true idie flick like "The room." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room_%28film%29] Or for him to so a series of reviews or critical essays on movie genre he enjoys more instead of just doing reviews for movies that just came out. I did like his most recent Intermission article and found it a nice change from his regular submissions.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
GrinningManiac said:
The Border problem in America is "one of the biggest debates in modern culture?"

Huh, I just thought it was the US version of the "Polish Problem" in Britain: Polish are coming over to make a living by willingly doing REALLY crap jobs REALLY cheaply because NONE of the British want to do those jobs, and yet the locals still complain that the Polish are "stealing Jobs" and "Not Being English"

Strikes me that there isn't a lot of argument for the USA side. Mexicans are being repressed and slightly discriminated, simple as, I think. Of course, if anyone in that area knows more about the problem, I'd be glad to hear it.
I think you pretty much summed it up nicely... South Park says it best though.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
GrinningManiac said:

That's certainly part of the issue for some people, but personally I don't care if they are coming over here to look for a better life, that's great that's what America was made for (in theory anyway). The problem that I have, with the whole issue really, is that people don't seem to be making the distinction anymore between a legal immigrant and an illegal immigrant (and that's on both sides of the debate).

May 17, 2010
KingPiccolOwned said:
GrinningManiac said:

That's certainly part of the issue for some people, but personally I don't care if they are coming over here to look for a better life, that's great that's what America was made for (in theory anyway). The problem that I have, with the whole issue really, is that people don't seem to be making the distinction anymore between a legal immigrant and an illegal immigrant (and that's on both sides of the debate).
True here, no state has a problem with controlled legal immigration as it gives the government more people to tax. Governments do have a problem when the people coming into a state can't get a job and thus the state has to subsidies them or they are entering a state illegally and flouting it's laws, this being the problem in the American south with illegal Meican immigration.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Furrama said:
Yep, thought the same, willing to bet my money on it the way Bob announced it :p

Good review, might give this one a look see if there's nothing else in theatres and I have some time. As I'm not an American, the border crossing issue is a little moot to me (and your Wet feet, dry feet law seems as stupid as they come for one) and won't carry the movie on it's own, which leaves just the action. Which is fun, but in a "barbecue + beer + random movie" kinda fun. And even there it has competitors :\

HyperionToASatyr said:
Maybe he just doesn't like it straight up? *Ba-dum-tish*

Seriously though, he might just not give a flying toss for what you call a "pure action movie", everyone's got their preferences and I can't say I can disagree with him on that one, not even objectively

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
GrinningManiac said:

I hadn't heard of the "Polish Problem," but it sounds like pretty much the same idea, yes - though here in the US the issue is "supercharged" by the additional elements of race and class divide.

The way it's broken down is, a few decades ago essentially ALL menial/service jobs "Unionized" to one degree or another, which forced most employers to pay a certain base-level of wages and provide certain insurances. Because businesses started to make less money when they were no longer allowed to screw their employees over, an increasing number of businesses started to delegate more jobs off to "under the table" employees who weren't "on the books" and thus could be paid lower wages. And since what Americans would call "low" pay is actually quite a bit of money in Mexico and other South American and/or Latin American nations, you quickly had a HUGE rise in people crossing the border illegally to do these jobs. And since what was good for the businesses was good for their political allies, the government and law-enforcement just largely "looked the other way" on illegal immigration for DECADES.

So now you've got people who've lived here "illegally" for several generations - who've started families and lived lives and who have children who are natural-born citizens - and a lot of them are starting to ask *Gasp!!* that they be treated like PEOPLE by a government that has benefited from their presence by ignoring it's own laws, and NOW suddenly it's a HUGE problem ;)

It's more complicated on either side, of course, but that's largely where the "anger" at the heart of this particular movie is coming from.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Rodriguez recently commented on whether or not Machete is actually talking about the immigration debate. Answer: kind of, but not really. It's more a representation on how some exploitation films would base the plot around something from the headlines in the most arbitrary way possible cuz the movies were about killing or blowing shit up regardless. Here's the article:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/the-real-hidden-machete-message/

Tarrou

Oct 18, 2009
White people are bad, Republicans all deserve to die, minority power, functional director.....yawn.

This isn't political, it's an exercise in appealing to the idiocy of people who mistake racism* for political debate and need their "politics" to be summed up in a ______ = EVIL statement. In other words, right up the average film critic's alley, and the majority of this site, I'd warrant. Enjoy it.

* and as another poster already noted, if you're wondering whether a picture is racist or not, just reverse all the races in the film, see if that helps.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Tarrou said:
* and as another poster already noted, if you're wondering whether a picture is racist or not, just reverse all the races in the film, see if that helps.
See for example The Wild Bunch, a movie about a group of white guy outlaws who murder hundreds of Mexicans in slow motion for the last hour. It's widely considered a classic of American cinema. Anyone regularly call that one out for being racist? How about Big Trouble in Little China, where a white guy kills a bunch of Asian guys who all know kung fu? Then of course there's the cinematic milestone of Birth of a Nation, where the KKK heroically triumphs over the primitive black man. Or what about the dozens of video games where white people kill middle eastern terrorists?

Sorry, but these types of genre pieces are going to be about killing someone and that someone is going to be of an ethnicity. The fact that ONE movie comes out that shows brown people killing white people and it throws a bunch of pundits into a tizzy shows a little bit of oversensitivity. Get over yourselves white people.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
RDubayoo said:
Wonderful, I think I get the gist of this movie already. If you oppose illegal immigration and believe that the laws of the United States should be enforced, LUL YUR A RACIZT. Wonderful! Meanwhile, lives are being destroyed in Arizona and elsewhere by the very illegal immigrants Rodriguez wants us to feel sorry for.

This isn't about favoring anyone over anyone else. You are wasting your money trying to keep anyone out. And by not "showing compassion" you put thousands of people into the status of criminal. This means that they cannot work regular jobs and have to be paid under the table. That way, you get paid less than minimum wage and your boss blackmails you into working for free. Plus, you don't pay taxes because you don't have a social security number. This screws up the police and public schools because there's less taxable income. Because you can't make any money worth a damn, your kids get hungry. Then your kids start stealing so they aren't as hungry. This is how slums are born White people would do this just as easily when put into a similar situation and they did, like when the Irish and Italian immigrants got treated like garbage. This is how the mafia was born.

By adopting the attitude of "I hate you because you're different," or "I'm scared because those people are different" you're only repeating history. Putting immigrants out of work and / or deporting them makes life worse for all of us.

Antacid

Apr 10, 2010
"best pure action film of the year"

Urrgh, get out. You are such an industry toady, Moviebob.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
MovieBob said:
GrinningManiac said:

I hadn't heard of the "Polish Problem," but it sounds like pretty much the same idea, yes - though here in the US the issue is "supercharged" by the additional elements of race and class divide.

The way it's broken down is, a few decades ago essentially ALL menial/service jobs "Unionized" to one degree or another, which forced most employers to pay a certain base-level of wages and provide certain insurances. Because businesses started to make less money when they were no longer allowed to screw their employees over, an increasing number of businesses started to delegate more jobs off to "under the table" employees who weren't "on the books" and thus could be paid lower wages. And since what Americans would call "low" pay is actually quite a bit of money in Mexico and other South American and/or Latin American nations, you quickly had a HUGE rise in people crossing the border illegally to do these jobs. And since what was good for the businesses was good for their political allies, the government and law-enforcement just largely "looked the other way" on illegal immigration for DECADES.

So now you've got people who've lived here "illegally" for several generations - who've started families and lived lives and who have children who are natural-born citizens - and a lot of them are starting to ask *Gasp!!* that they be treated like PEOPLE by a government that has benefited from their presence by ignoring it's own laws, and NOW suddenly it's a HUGE problem ;)

It's more complicated on either side, of course, but that's largely where the "anger" at the heart of this particular movie is coming from.
Wow, thanks for the reply

We're at the "Polish undercutting Union members" stage at the moment. However, the problem over here is less with the Polish wanting to be treated normally and more to do with the fact that the Polish have massed-emigrated here (mostly legally), bringing a whole new language and culture to Britian, which the Loud Majority of people aren't happy with. There's Polish restraunts and Polish-language newspapers and even Polish-language shops so the poor guys don't even have to try and get by in English. I've got nothing wrong with that, it's the way rapid immigration works. However, the more bigoted of my countryfolk are completley against the idea of foreigners on principle, and thus don't like being reminded that people NOT FROM ENGLAND are living here. Shock Horror, I know.

Now, when we get our first Polish Member of Parliament, that'd be interesting.

Y'know what's even funnier? The people who complain about foreign cultures "destroying British identity"? They eat kebabs and curries, like the rest of us.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Well if Mexicans get unlimited immigration to the USA... when what about Brits like me?

Case you didn't notice, parts of UK are hardly hot shit and loads would love to emigrate to the land "big gulp" and mysterious missing-U's

(but if all the ambitious people leave for USA... won't that just lead to a "brain drain" making the countries they come from even less appealing and then a positive feedback loop of more immigration as the contrast only increases)

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
MovieBob said:
GrinningManiac said:

So it was the unions... I KNEW IT!

(PS, if you're born in the USA then you're a citizen, right? All you need is a birth certificate to prove you were born in even a US territory like Puerto Rico or for John McCain, the Panama Canal. So isn't it impossible for a family to live illegally in a country for more than one generation. Then there is the "grandfather law" where if you live there for long enough you can become a citizen.)

May 17, 2010

I was very much on the pro Arizonna side in the recent debate on it's new laws but I see no reasonw hy the US can't have a clause that if you live in the US territory for say, ten years and you can show that you could have work, then you should be allowed to be calssified as a US citizen.

This isn't about favoring anyone over anyone else. You are wasting your money trying to keep anyone out. And by not "showing compassion" you put thousands of people into the status of criminal. This means that they cannot work regular jobs and have to be paid under the table. That way, you get paid less than minimum wage and your boss blackmails you into working for free. Plus, you don't pay taxes because you don't have a social security number. This screws up the police and public schools because there's less taxable income. Because you can't make any money worth a damn, your kids get hungry. Then your kids start stealing so they aren't as hungry. This is how slums are born White people would do this just as easily when put into a similar situation and they did, like when the Irish and Italian immigrants got treated like garbage. This is how the mafia was born.
This is more of an argument to stop illegal immigration then it is to have unlimited immigration.

The age of unlimited freedom of movement is sadly gone. Sucks I know but no Soverign State is a charity. The Us is prehaps one of the more better states in terms of ethics and such but it is still a nations tate and as such it's ultimate interest is maximisng it's power to better serve it's citizens.

lead sharp

Nov 15, 2009
As this is the latest film reviewed and I'm not sure where to post this but I would be genuinely interested in bobs take on this...

http://redlettermedia.com/

The Star Trek review.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I think I'll wait till it hits the dollar theater, but this definitely loks worth checking out. Plus, I always love comically over the top action.

world_of_dragons

Mar 20, 2009
Just got back from seeing it after watching this review and here's what I think.

When I got to see movies, I have a tendency to sort of 'turn off' my brain so it was a little difficult keeping tabs of what happened story wise, but I always kept an eye on bits and pieces like the technical workings of the movie.

In a word, Machete is a movie that action fans really need to take a look.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
I saw this film yesterday and it was awesome. Fantastic action sequences and hilarious one liners. Any action fans really need to see this movie.

Herr Wozzeck

Oct 23, 2009
So I saw this movie for myself, and I have to say I found it immensely enjoyable.

But Bob was right about the bit that shows Rodriguez' anger towards the state of immigration laws in America. I remember the first fake campaign ad they showed of McLaughlin's senatorial campaign.

You know, that one with the insects where McLaughlin compares them to parasites killing the country?

I swear to God, I've never been more pissed off at something within a movie. First, I'm liberal, and that kind of shit doesn't fly with me. Second, I'm Hispanic (Cuban Hispanic, granted, which is completely different from Mexican Hispanic, but Hispanic nonetheless.) I actually almost walked out of the theater upon seeing it; the only reason I stayed was because it came in fairly early in the film's running time. The fact that Rodriguez is of Mexican descent didn't lessen my rage at all.

And somehow, it's more effective for that.

Other than that, it was a really fun movie.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
lead sharp said:
As this is the latest film reviewed and I'm not sure where to post this but I would be genuinely interested in bobs take on this...

The Star Trek review.
He reviewed that movie. It's in the archives wouldn't hurt to look ya know. But i'll save ya the five minutes. He was against it.

Battenbergcake

Oct 4, 2009
As a musician in a silly jacket once said "Viva la Vodka~"

We need more movies that point out how wrong things our while killing a neo-Nazi with a cork screw. :B

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Apr 11, 2008
I haven't heard of this movie before (yes I live in Australia). By the time it comes to cinemas over here, people will have been pirating it for a least a month.

Squeaksx

Jun 19, 2008
AlexTaldren said:
Brockyman said:

OR

I feel the exact same way.
I am curious to be honest. I really want to see if they pull this 'message' off properly or coat it with icky layers of pretentious ooze in the way Hollywood writers have become notorious for. We'll see I suppose.

Squeaksx

Jun 19, 2008
370999 said:

I was very much on the pro Arizonna side in the recent debate on it's new laws but I see no reasonw hy the US can't have a clause that if you live in the US territory for say, ten years and you can show that you could have work, then you should be allowed to be classified as a US citizen.

This is more of an argument to stop illegal immigration then it is to have unlimited immigration.

The age of unlimited freedom of movement is sadly gone. Sucks I know but no Soverign State is a charity. The Us is perhaps one of the more better states in terms of ethics and such but it is still a nations Tate and as such it's ultimate interest is maximize it's power to better serve it's citizens.
(Sorry to double post). My issue with the idea of legalizing citizens who have been here for an period of time is that it encourages a squatting mentality. Secondly, there's a reason why there is such a thing as illegal immigration, and no, it isn't because all politicians who support border patrol are a bunch of right-wing racist bigots, though I'm sure a infinitesimal minority falls into that group.

It's because illegal immigration does put a strain on society as a whole. For one, it does not allow individuals to be screened before coming into this country, and while I will openly admit that it's ludicrous to think that all illegal immigrants are criminal scum, the fact of the matter is, some are. Without an immigration system in place, we have no idea of knowing what type of person is coming into our country, and call me dirt, but I would have no qualms to saying no to someone who, in the past, has shown no qualms with continuously breaking the laws of his own country.

An argument against the "squatters privileges", as I'll put it now, is that there isn't enough merit, in my mind, to support it. I do not think that the illegal immigration law is unconstitutional enough, at least with some severe skewing of the intentions of the document, to say that it should not be followed. I am also outright sick of the argument of "If we don't do it, no one will", in reference to the undesirable manual labor tasks. News flash, I've personally seen and known people of several ethnicities who have picked up these tasks you labeled "undesirable".

Secondly, the idea that they'd pay taxes if we just make them legal. By what logic do you think they would? To be honest, this is the nature of the beast, but I have not heard many voiced opinions from this group of individuals stating this. The chance of them not doing so isn't so minuscule that it's beyond consideration. This may be hard to believe, but some individuals might actually enjoy their undocumented..Actually lets not mince words, illegal status because it allows them to fly under the radar on such things.

Sorry for rambling, despite this if I will go see the movie, and might actually enjoy it. Even if I disagree with its message, I will still support the movie if anyone attempts to censor it (which is conceivable). I might not agree with the message, but I still support free speech.

RedheadedKate

Jul 12, 2010
Danny Trejo has been in a lot of things that you wouldn't expect him to be in. I don't think I'll see this (unfortunately, I have a freakishly weak stomach, even for fake gore), but I really hope Mr. Trejo starts getting more credit for his talent.

May 17, 2010
Squeaksx said:
(Sorry to double post). My issue with the idea of legalizing citizens who have been here for an period of time is that it encourages a squatting mentality. Secondly, there's a reason why there is such a thing as illegal immigration, and no, it isn't because all politicians who support border patrol are a bunch of right-wing racist bigots, though I'm sure a infinitesimal minority falls into that group.

It's because illegal immigration does put a strain on society as a whole. For one, it does not allow individuals to be screened before coming into this country, and while I will openly admit that it's ludicrous to think that all illegal immigrants are criminal scum, the fact of the matter is, some are. Without an immigration system in place, we have no idea of knowing what type of person is coming into our country, and call me dirt, but I would have no qualms to saying no to someone who, in the past, has shown no qualms with continuously breaking the laws of his own country.

An argument against the "squatters privileges", as I'll put it now, is that there isn't enough merit, in my mind, to support it. I do not think that the illegal immigration law is unconstitutional enough, at least with some severe skewing of the intentions of the document, to say that it should not be followed. I am also outright sick of the argument of "If we don't do it, no one will", in reference to the undesirable manual labor tasks. News flash, I've personally seen and known people of several ethnicities who have picked up these tasks you labeled "undesirable".

Secondly, the idea that they'd pay taxes if we just make them legal. By what logic do you think they would? To be honest, this is the nature of the beast, but I have not heard many voiced opinions from this group of individuals stating this. The chance of them not doing so isn't so minuscule that it's beyond consideration. This may be hard to believe, but some individuals might actually enjoy their undocumented..Actually lets not mince words, illegal status because it allows them to fly under the radar on such things.

Sorry for rambling, despite this if I will go see the movie, and might actually enjoy it. Even if I disagree with its message, I will still support the movie if anyone attempts to censor it (which is conceivable). I might not agree with the message, but I still support free speech.
I am very sympathetic to your position and yes I do strongly believe in enforcing immigration control.

The main reason I am for legalising citizens is that I am deeply uncomfortable with the diea of deporting people who have resides in a country for a sustaned period of time and have bcome to intergrate and assimilate into the local culture.

Mainly I feel so on humanitarian grounds so I understand you criticism.

I do think if thet aren't willing to pay taxes then they should be deported with haste.

Kudos to you however for managing to not sound patronisng in your reply to myself.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
This movie was ridiculously awesome, and I got to see it for free too!

lead sharp

Nov 15, 2009
Swifteye said:
lead sharp said:

The Star Trek review.
He reviewed that movie. It's in the archives wouldn't hurt to look ya know. But i'll save ya the five minutes. He was against it.

Actually I know he reviewed Start Trek and didn't like it, my point was that Plinket's review is clearly a positive one and frankly put forward in a very clever (and yes, unique style) and well thought out way, as opposed to 'It's good because it has tons of action and boobs in it.'

I would pay money to see those two have a debate over this.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
lead sharp said:
Swifteye said:
lead sharp said:

The Star Trek review.

Actually I know he reviewed Start Trek and didn't like it, my point was that Plinket's review is clearly a positive one and frankly put forward in a very clever (and yes, unique style) and well thought out way, as opposed to 'It's good because it has tons of action and boobs in it.'

I would pay money to see those two have a debate over this.

Heeeey your unto something with that idea dude. Plinkett and movie bob. That could be pretty funny.

Squeaksx

Jun 19, 2008
370999 said:
Squeaksx said:

I am very sympathetic to your position and yes I do strongly believe in enforcing immigration control.

The main reason I am for legalising citizens is that I am deeply uncomfortable with the diea of deporting people who have resides in a country for a sustaned period of time and have bcome to intergrate and assimilate into the local culture.

Mainly I feel so on humanitarian grounds so I understand you criticism.

I do think if thet aren't willing to pay taxes then they should be deported with haste.

Kudos to you however for managing to not sound patronisng in your reply to myself.
Trust me, you made valid points. Though you could also return the humanitarian angle onto the people who decided to risk the trauma of deportation onto their children or other family members and still immigrate here illegally. While many would hate to consider this, there can be a situation where it could be the selfishness of the individual coming here illegally that is to blame. Not at all times, or even the majority, but enough to merit a mentioning.