Escape to the Movies: MovieBob: Oscars 2011

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
MovieBob: Oscars 2011

MovieBob makes his predictions for this year's Academy Awards. (Spoiler: Christopher Nolan does not win Best Director!)

Watch Video

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I really do hope Natalie Portman wins Best Actress.

I'll be really happy if anything but "The King's Speech" wins best picture. I'm rooting for "The Fighter" or "Inception" personally.

And Bale better win for his role in "The Fighter". That performance was simply stunning.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Would love to see some awards for 'The Fighter' and 'Black Swan', but it's not likely, apart from maybe Best Actress for Portman.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
I didn't really get the Banksy dig.
Was I supposed to have not enjoyed watching Exit Through the Gift Shop?
Or is it just that someone that "underground" shouldn't likely be so front and center if they're to remain "legit?"

I need help, here.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
They couldn't nominate (let alone let win) Daft Punk for best soundtrack for fear of the world collapsing from its awesomeness. Sad but true.

And I don't know, I like Bridges' chances for Best Actor. And can we please agree that Geoffery Rush should be getting a second Oscar?

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Oscars are a big farce anyways. The industry votes for the industry, it's all a self congratulatory pat on the back, "look, aren't we great".

As for Christopher Nolan, when I read he's attached to a film, I generally avoid it. Why? Because he gets so much love for being bland. The films themselves aren't bad, but they aren't very good either.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
I'd really prefer it if the Social Network didn't win, simply because after watching it I fail to see how it represents the online generation, I understand all the characters are young and stuff, but the whole "online" presence is at best a very small sub-plot with the rest of it focusing on the characters and the ass-hole suing the other ass-hole who the writer keeps telling me isn't an ass-hole. It's a fine character legal thriller, though not Oscar worthy.

I haven't seen several of the films, but right now the best I've seen is The Kings Speech, so it's pretty good to see it getting the awards it deserves.

Dukeoftacos

Sep 1, 2010
Did you really have to devote a show to a topic you already covered in Intermission? I'm a fan of your opinions and insights, but I feel as though this is a bit repetitive for those of us who still read.

Infernoshadow211

Nov 18, 2009
Although your forecast is probably right, I'd like to see some upsets as much as you do.

Like how I was thinking maybe this week's review would have been Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D: Bonds Beyond time. LOL

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
And yet again, there is not a single film I give a toss about on the roster outside of the Best Animated Film candidates.
Perhaps it's a difference in taste or preference, but the one film of 2010 that had any influence on my mood, thinking, or attention beyond the purely technical had no chance at all of being nominated (primarily because it isn't a feel-good film, and it was grossly unpopular anyway).

So for that, the only thing I will say is that it's disappointing that the first genuinely GOOD "Dragon movie" stands a snowball's chance in Hell...because it's Pixar. Dreamworks is finally starting to get a sense of creative identity, and so for perhaps the first time, I believe the Best Animated Film award will actually be a judgment of merit.
On the other hand, Toy Story 3, while quite excellent and much deeper than How to Train Your Dragon, didn't really entertain or move as much in comparison.

I'm probably the only person who would nominate the non-Pixar film this year for Best Animated Film (and the only one who cares), and admittedly, for some of the wrong reasons. But dammit, Dreamworks made a GOOD Dragon movie, which up to this point had been utterly *impossible* to achieve, whereas Pixar proved that an established franchise that was popular before (albeit, really really good and popular for a reason) will remain popular.

That's how I'm justifying my black sheep nomination.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
First of all, I probably have an unhealthy love for all things Pixar. They deserve top spot in their industry because they've earned it through consistently excellent releases.

Now, that being said, I'd really like to see some competition pop up that would challenge them to reach new heights. I can't help but feel that a monopoly on a category's wins will only breed complacency. Come on animation studios, give them a run for their money. A tougher race for best Toon oscar is a win/win for all involved.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Seeing as Daft Punk were shamefully spurned, and Clint Mansell was disqualified, I want the Social Network to take the Best Original Score. I just want to say Trent Reznor got an Oscar, and if you can't get Daft Punk's tribute to Wendy Carlos recognized, Trent's tribute will do. (Also, Hans Zimmer already has 4.)

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
That cat playing the Xbox has gotten America through some hard times...