Escape to the Movies: Neighbors - Genuinely Funny

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
omega 616 said:
Gxas said:
Loved this movie. It was hilarious.

And the part shown in the review, where the kid starts reciting the "Path of the Righteous Man" had me in tears.

Definitely was a good start for summer comedies.
Seriously, tears? I didn't even crack a smile. I don't enjoy absurd comedy, it's just like laughing at a drunk guy, it's puerile.

Which means I wont enjoy this movie 'cos I assume it's basically in the Will Ferrell school of comedy AKA it's like step brothers or anything else he has appeared in.
Huh, well I guess you're right. I suppose your sense of humor is much more mature than mine, then. Though, these jokes are pretty well thought out throughout the movie. And, as always, it's the little things you notice in the background that will make you laugh so much harder.

And you have to remember, if you go into anything at all with a "mightier-than-thou" or negative attitude in the slightest, the intent of the work will never fully reach you, if it does at all.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Gxas said:
omega 616 said:
Gxas said:

And the part shown in the review, where the kid starts reciting the "Path of the Righteous Man" had me in tears.

Seriously, tears? I didn't even crack a smile. I don't enjoy absurd comedy, it's just like laughing at a drunk guy, it's puerile.

Which means I wont enjoy this movie 'cos I assume it's basically in the Will Ferrell school of comedy AKA it's like step brothers or anything else he has appeared in.
Huh, well I guess you're right. I suppose your sense of humor is much more mature than mine, then. Though, these jokes are pretty well thought out throughout the movie. And, as always, it's the little things you notice in the background that will make you laugh so much harder.

And you have to remember, if you go into anything at all with a "mightier-than-thou" or negative attitude in the slightest, the intent of the work will never fully reach you, if it does at all.
I wouldn't say more mature, just different ... I love word play like the two ronnies (fork handles and hieroglyphics the most. Give the first one till 3:25)

I also like dark and insulting humour, the juxtaposition of making somebody laugh while making them feel bad or just that noise of I've heard something funny so I will laugh and then half a second later realizing that what was said is horrific and you feel bad for laughing at it ... it's like "hahaewww/hahaoohhh".

Of course, it's like those "Try not to laugh" videos on youtube, if you go into thinking "I will not even smile" then you wont but I actually had 0 information on the film until I saw that "funny" clip at the start, I didn't even know a single member of the cast.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
AJey said:
Another mediocre Marvel based TV show is really good news?! Okay....
I tend to agree, I have some trouble getting excited about this. While it could potentially be cool, it seems like it's a fan project gone a little too far. The basic thing is that they want to do a version of "Agents Of SHIELD" set during "World War II". That could in theory be cool, and I can see why they might find it useful to add some depth to the rest of the cinematic universe by showing things that happened in the past. AoS after all already planted some
seeds for them to give "The Howling Commandoes" and agents of the time some wild gimmicks. I suppose Agent Carter and Howard Stark being the heroes for a period piece given that they pretty much already wrote out Nick Fury by using the "Ultimate" version, he was the canon leader of "The Howling Commandoes" and the guy who did most of the hero-stuff during World War II stories when Captain America wasn't around.

The problem with Agent Carter is that when you get down to it, it's yet another "Marvel" show that isn't likely to involve any real super-heroes. It's apparently going in a similar vein to AoS, with vintage costumes and sets. It seems like an idea that was expanded to this degree because nobody really wanted to spend the money on FX to do a serious super-hero show, so we're pretty much looking at another "working around the edges" series where as much as possible can be done by guns, fisticuffs, and relatively cheap FX. Given that Netflix has it's "Defenders" series also going in this direction (i.e. heroes that aren't really flashy in their powers, or rely entirely on physical training), we're pretty much seeing an overload of this kind of thing on TV.

I'd be more exited if they actually were doing a Sharon Carter show, and actually doing a Ms. Marvel series, with Ms. Marvel using some flashy powers to actually fight super villains and such, however that isn't what this is supposed to be. That said we might very well see Ms. Marvel show up in the Marvel Cinematic universe, though if they do so I hope they manage to avoid all the political baggage attached to the character (which is in part why Moviebob seems to like her, he even did a show giving his opinion on the whole "Rape of Ms. Marvel" thing). That said it's a while in the future if at all.

I mean I'll give "Agent Carter" a shot, but I can't say I'm especially exciting. In a culture that has been pretty well saturated by tough female cops/agents toting guns and kicking people's butts, this is pretty generic, the only real spin is the Marvel connection and the World War II setting. If they pitched it without the Marvel part this would seem almost entirely generic, I mean they are even giving her Howard Stark apparently as a built in male-co-lead for the predictably "witty interplay".

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Suicidal Zebra said:
I've seen trailers for Neighbors (Bad Neighbours over here), and now MovieBob's glowing review, and still have absolutely zero desire to see it. At the best of times I'm not a fan of prank comedies as they inevitably descend into a pissing contest between unlikable arseholes and I wonder to myself why the hell I'm watching a car-crash of a movie.

Sorry Bob, but just like Pain And Gain you've not sold me on this one.
You didnt like Pain and Gain? Do you even know what humor is? :O

OT: but its zaaaaaaaaaaaaaaac..... :<

deathjavu

Nov 18, 2009
omega 616 said:
Gxas said:
omega 616 said:
Gxas said:

I wouldn't say more mature, just different ... I love word play like the two ronnies (fork handles and hieroglyphics the most. Give the first one till 3:25)

I also like dark and insulting humour, the juxtaposition of making somebody laugh while making them feel bad or just that noise of I've heard something funny so I will laugh and then half a second later realizing that what was said is horrific and you feel bad for laughing at it ... it's like "hahaewww/hahaoohhh".

Of course, it's like those "Try not to laugh" videos on youtube, if you go into thinking "I will not even smile" then you wont but I actually had 0 information on the film until I saw that "funny" clip at the start, I didn't even know a single member of the cast.
Has a laugh track, one of the jokes is the fact that there are other genders besides men and women (ha, so funny!), another two jokes is that his assistant is attractive, a bunch of references I didn't get because I'm not from Britain, and the last two minutes is the kind of joke I remember from Highlights magazines (puzzle magazines for children). Cracked a smile at the intentionally missed translations, but seriously, a laugh track is the most hackneyed and uninventive method of getting a laugh via social pressuring.

The movie sounds interesting though. I have a friend who likes silly, light movies and always wants to go out and see a movie, so I imagine I might be seeing this.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Has it been confirmed that the new power rangers movie is going to be mighty morphin rangers? Or is it going to be a new set of powers?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
RealRT said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
RealRT said:
Oh, hey, look, a subtitle that tells me what the review is about, guess no reason to click the link and watch it now.
STOP DOING THESE RETARDED SUBTITLES. STOP. S.T.O.P. I WATCH THE VIDEOS TO SEE WHAT THE REVIEW IS GOING TO BE LIKE, TO KNOW WHAT THE REVEWERS THINK ABOUT THE PRODUCT. THE SUBTITLES SPOIL THE FUCK OUT OF THEM. I WANT TO BE SURPRISED. I WOULD BE SURPRISED THAT BOB LIKED IT IF YOU DIDN'T ADD A RETARDED SUBTITLE THERE. BUT NO. INSTEAD I GOT SPOILED. HEY, IMAGINE IF EMPIRE STRIKES BACK WAS CALLED "STAR WARS: DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER".
Please! Caps! Not that I necessarily disagree with your point... but still! Caps!

Anyway, the scene shown at the beginning of the review - as well as the stuff shown in the trailer - honestly convinced me that MB and I have very, very different senses of humour. I thought both were cringeworthy, to be honest... so I'll avoid this one. Sorry MovieBob. On the plus side, I didn't see either of the "Spiderman" reboot movies in the cinema either, so they aren't getting my cash money.
They are there to imitate shouting. I don't write EVERY SINGLE FUCKING MESSAGE LIKE THIS, I know how annoying it is.
There's still no reason to caps an entire post. You realise how annoying it is, so why do it?

Besides, you're watching a review, not a clip, movie or something, it's not spoiler material. Personally, I love them saying something like that because often I want to know whether Bob liked something, but don't have the time to watch the video or don't want to watch the video to avoid any sort of spoilers.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
deathjavu said:
You do realize when that was actually shot don't you? More likely is that it is in front of a studio audience.

Look, we all have different tastes, I think "neighbours" is (as yahtzee likes to say) a bunch of wank ... much like anchor man and the hangover series. I prefer more word play and dark humor as it takes some thought.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Vrach said:
RealRT said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
RealRT said:
Oh, hey, look, a subtitle that tells me what the review is about, guess no reason to click the link and watch it now.
STOP DOING THESE RETARDED SUBTITLES. STOP. S.T.O.P. I WATCH THE VIDEOS TO SEE WHAT THE REVIEW IS GOING TO BE LIKE, TO KNOW WHAT THE REVEWERS THINK ABOUT THE PRODUCT. THE SUBTITLES SPOIL THE FUCK OUT OF THEM. I WANT TO BE SURPRISED. I WOULD BE SURPRISED THAT BOB LIKED IT IF YOU DIDN'T ADD A RETARDED SUBTITLE THERE. BUT NO. INSTEAD I GOT SPOILED. HEY, IMAGINE IF EMPIRE STRIKES BACK WAS CALLED "STAR WARS: DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER".
Please! Caps! Not that I necessarily disagree with your point... but still! Caps!

Anyway, the scene shown at the beginning of the review - as well as the stuff shown in the trailer - honestly convinced me that MB and I have very, very different senses of humour. I thought both were cringeworthy, to be honest... so I'll avoid this one. Sorry MovieBob. On the plus side, I didn't see either of the "Spiderman" reboot movies in the cinema either, so they aren't getting my cash money.
They are there to imitate shouting. I don't write EVERY SINGLE FUCKING MESSAGE LIKE THIS, I know how annoying it is.
There's still no reason to caps an entire post. You realise how annoying it is, so why do it?

Besides, you're watching a review, not a clip, movie or something, it's not spoiler material. Personally, I love them saying something like that because often I want to know whether Bob liked something, but don't have the time to watch the video or don't want to watch the video to avoid any sort of spoilers.
And they must realize how most of the site visitors find the subtitles annoying.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
RealRT said:
Vrach said:
RealRT said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
RealRT said:

And they must realize how most of the site visitors find the subtitles annoying.
And you're basing the "most" part of that sentence on what exactly? I haven't actually seen anyone complaining about it to date. And even if it was a widespread thing, it still wouldn't justify an all caps post. Keep calm and state your concern. You'll have more luck getting your message noticed by opening a calm thread to discuss the issue or even messaging one of the staff with your complaint than putting up a message that'll just get insta-warned and ignored.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Vrach said:
RealRT said:
Vrach said:
RealRT said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
RealRT said:

And you're basing the "most" part of that sentence on what exactly? I haven't actually seen anyone complaining about it to date. And even if it was a widespread thing, it still wouldn't justify an all caps post. Keep calm and state your concern. You'll have more luck getting your message noticed by opening a calm thread to discuss the issue or even messaging one of the staff with your complaint than putting up a message that'll just get insta-warned and ignored.
Every time I look at comments under Escape to the Movies or Zero Punctuation, there are complaints.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Huh? This movie was mostly terribly. Don't get me wrong, the characters are great, and it does have 'some' funny moments, but "genuinely funny"? Not even close, the first 1/3 is so dull it was tempting to leave, and rare jokes from then on that don't fall flat simply aren't plentiful or frequent enough to leave with a positive impression.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I saw it tonight, not because I wanted to by my girlfriend floated the idea. I'm glad she did, because it was really great.

On a side note, they had a trailer for "A Million Ways to Die in the West," and it genuinely made me laugh during just that. So, barring the possibility that they blew their load in the trailer, which is a strong possibility, I am actually interested in seeing it now. Whereas before I thought it looked like an Expendables-comedy edition. I guess Bob will have to let us know.

Justin Smith

May 13, 2010
This movie looked really, really, really bad from the commercials.
It looked almost like this years Grown Ups.
Bob makes a good case for it though, guess Advertising is just that bad where I am.