Escape to the Movies: Oldboy

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Oldboy

MovieBob gives us a great look at the remake of the classic Oldboy.

Watch Video

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Between this and the new Carrie, I'm really dismissive of remakes. There are exceptions, but for the most part, I usually stick with the original.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Never saw the original. I was intrigued by the story, but the truth is I'm a very squeamish person, so there's a lot of stuff I can't watch and still hold down my lunch or at the very least start cringing as if spiders are suddenly crawling on me, and I was told Old Boy was probably a movie I should avoid in that regard.

But I do agree with you. I'm always very intrigued by cross-culture remakes (I personally liked A Woman, A Gun, and a Noodle Shop) and an American version of this plot does seem like it could have had a lot more potential than it did just based on the points you made. I mean hell they're in Louisiana, change dumplings to like BBQ or something.

In regards to the Spiderman thing...why does it look like the Rhino went out and got himself a Zoid? I mean I assume the far left one is supposed to be the Rhino.

Jan 12, 2012
You would think Amazing Spider-Man would learn from it's predecessor: Too many villains on screen means that none of them have any particular weight.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Really? Gal Gadot is a start for Wonder Woman? The woman who's body posture and timid voice in literally everything she's ever been in--including glamor shots--says "I was lured here and I don't feel comfortable with you filming me?" That Gal Gadot? Do a quick Google Image search, Bob. Watch a few more of her clips from the Fast and Furious films. Tell me if you see one scene or photo where she looks remotely like someone who commands authority and respect not simply by virtue of being a princess and expecting obedience, but from someone who recognizes she has power, is secure in it, and thus is a voice that deserves to be heard? On that arguably has more to say than the soft-spoken, dry-humor of Superman or the brooding intensity of the Batman. It's bad enough we got Halle Berry making bad toad jokes in X-Men. Wonder Woman, like Storm, shouldn't be about muttering one-liners under her breath. She should be standing tall, with her head held high, making bold and slightly cheesy proclamations about how she's going to kick your ass with lightning, or at least a magic lasso. Gal Gadot's neutral stance is to fold her body in on itself like she's one of those girls who wore a too-tight shirt in public and she's conscious about random men staring at her chest, usually with her head tipped at an angle like her neck can't support it. Seriously, her portfolio looks like the Dutch Angles in Battlefield Earth. Emma Watson would make a better Wonder Woman simply by virtue that the woman can stand up straight. Gal was in the Israeli army, and she still holds a gun like she's afraid it will explode if she pulls the trigger.

So I really can't get behind Gal as WW, even though in all likelihood it's only going to be a cameo and it'll likely get cropped from the movie because of DC's continued hatred for its own source material and willingness to bend to angry mobs of furious fans. Like me.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Goddamn I love Oldboy. The original that is. It's strangely good. I think I'll hold off listening to Bob's review and just go check out the westernized version for myself, even if it doesn't impress me. Remakes are rarely good in my opinion, and can't name many I like. Yojimbo as A Fistful of Dollars comes to mind.

Yoshi4102

Mar 10, 2012
I'm not a big fan of foriegn movies (I don't like missing plot when I get up to grab a drink or something) but when I saw Oldboy on Netflix, it is pretty much fucking perfection! It would make it into my top 10 movies for sure.

When I saw the commercial for this on TV I couldn't help but to roll my eyes when I saw scenes remade verbatim. Seriously... fight scene is the EXACT same thing? Where's the originality? Just make an english dub (oh wait, the one on Netflix was a dub, remake not needed).

I seriously hope the other 2 semi-related movies aren't remade either, but they aren't as good anyways in my opinion. However they are worth watching.

tl;dr Just watch the old one, remake is dumb

Chuppi

Mar 6, 2013
To be honest, I mostely dislike the american remakes of asien movies, because most of the time they just simplify the plot and try to explain everything, that stayed unexplained in the original. You really get the feeling that the american people need everything to be chewed for them and can´t stand a movie, that leaves them with remaining mysteries to think about themselves.
The remake of Ju On was a good example for that.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
Why did Amazing Spiderman movie "RUIN" the Lizard? ...and surely not as much as Spideman 3 ruined Venom...or Sandman...or Green goblin...or Peter Parker...or Mary Jane...or aunt May...

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
trty00 said:
I don't really have an opinion on Gal Gadot being Wonder Woman. But, in fairness, you should remember that one of the best performances as the Batman/Bruce Wayne combo was by a comedic actor who had virtually no experience as a movie tough guy, and one of the most memorable villian portrayals of ALL TIME was by the same guy who had mostly starred in fucking romantic comedy's

People get so upset over unconventional choices for comic book heroes... and yet Heath Ledger's Joker and Michael Keaton's Batman exist.
I don't think Affleck will be a bad Batman. I've seen Daredevil and for all that movie's faults Affleck's ability to sneer in a cowl is was one of the better aspects.

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
Sooo, with Superman, Batman and WW in the same movie, do you think the rumors of going all Kingdom Come are true?

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Yoshi4102 said:
I'm not a big fan of foriegn movies (I don't like missing plot when I get up to grab a drink or something) but when I saw Oldboy on Netflix, it is pretty much fucking perfection! It would make it into my top 10 movies for sure.

When I saw the commercial for this on TV I couldn't help but to roll my eyes when I saw scenes remade verbatim. Seriously... fight scene is the EXACT same thing? Where's the originality? Just make an english dub (oh wait, the one on Netflix was a dub, remake not needed).

I seriously hope the other 2 semi-related movies aren't remade either, but they aren't as good anyways in my opinion. However they are worth watching.

tl;dr Just watch the old one, remake is dumb
If they remake the others from the revenge trilogy, I think my head will implode from anger.

I can love remakes, even remakes of foreign films, but when you have movies that are as steeped in the culture they are created in as the revenge trilogy are, remaking them is almost certain to be worse. Even if you do manage to make a passable version, or even a decent version, what's the point? I consider Old Boy to be damned near perfect, especially it's cinematography (it stands up there with Silence of the Lambs in my opinion) so any remake of it would seem naturally lesser and pointless.

Also, to anyone who has not seen Old Boy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, I highly recommend them. They are gruesome, but the brutality in them comes from a place that feels so genuine that it isn't done for gory kicks.

Talbis

Oct 22, 2013
Magenera said:
Wasn't Old Boy the movie based on the Manga Old Boy?
Yes it was. Manga written by Garon Tsuchiya and illustrated by Nobuaki Minegishi, printed in years 1996 ? 1998. But for some stupid reason Park Chan-wook's adaptation is far better known, and that's sad, because the manga was better than the movie, even when it got really silly at the end. But everyone likes the 2003 movie, so there's that...