Escape to the Movies: Pacific Rim

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
Knowing how much Bob likes monster movies like this I'm not surprised to hear him gushing about it in an over the top manner. Granted the movie is probable great but I just think bob is overselling it just a tad lol. Will see this weekend for sure though.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
They're too much for one brain to handle? I'm sorry, but that's past my ridiculosity tolerance. The whole point of having a machine with the same general shape as a human, that can make the same kinds of movements as a human, that a human can get inside and move around in or move around with and control, is that controlling it would be very natural and (assuming the machine works right) pretty problem-free and people would use *less* brain-power trying to manage it which they could then devote to other things, like combat. Also if there are ranged weapons that hurt them, why not use those the whole time instead of a giant close-up robotic exoskeleton thing?

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
I won't go see it till sunday. I'm really going to have to avoid several sites this weekend to avoid spoilers.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
It was one hell of a movie, go see it for the experience alone.

The Kaiju are all fantastic and so are the fights. The pacing is great, there are no slow parts and i could actually follow what was going on. I think it rarely gets as good as this. The fight scenes are beyond epic in scope and scale and the references to anime, books, and videogames are amazing.

I seriously saw at least 3 or 4 separate Shadow of the Colossus moments. So good.

Ticonderoga117

Nov 9, 2009
I just got back from seeing Pacific Rim in IMAX 3D and all I have to say is, "Damn that was an awesome movie." While there are a few minor plot points I don't quite buy, all of that get's drowned out and buried by giant mechs fighting giant monsters in awesome fight scenes. Money well spent.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm so giddy about seeing this movie tomorrow it's insane.

Thanks Bob for the review, no need to tell me twice.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
A3sir said:
pearcinator said:
It's not doing so well over here in Australia (opened in 4th place)
Not the first time I've seen this today, and it's really annoying me. It's been out for 2 days now, 2 week days. Save your judgments on how well the movie goes for the first weekend that it's out. The ONLY reason it is losing to kids movies is because it is currently school holidays.
Why there are bound to be those who go against something to seem different, I honestly thought the film was only alright.

It felt restrained, I mean, robots punching giant monsters in the face should make me feel more awesome than this movie did.
It felt restrained because you weren't doing the punching since its not a videogame. You referencing Platinum Games only confirms this, but few studios go so OTT as Platinum does so having the bar set there might be a bit unwise. I felt a bit the same toward the end though. Honestly I don't expect much from movies anymore, but this was pretty damn impressive.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
General Vagueness said:
Also if there are ranged weapons that hurt them, why not use those the whole time instead of a giant close-up robotic exoskeleton thing?
Missing the point, entirely. But hey lets see...

1. They state, specifically, that conventional weapons took 6 days to take down a Kaiju in the "this is the origin" sequence.

2. The amount of ordinance required to take one out would most likely do so much collateral damage, more so than a mecha duking it out with said Kaiju as the mecha at least stands a chance of keeping the thing in roughly the same few square miles, that it was considered either too destructive or just not cost effective.

3. Physics. They show more than once that everything from jet impacts to missiles don't do much damage to the Kaiju's actual skin, what ranged weapons the Jaegers use seem to rely on the concussive effect of their shots to disorient rather than actually kill. So rather than build a bigger more explosive/armour piercing missile just stick a few hundred tons worth of nuclear powered hydraulic force behind a giant metal fist or a titanium sword.

4. The film actually raises this point as part of the plot, "The Jaeger program is [insert politics] ineffective. You're being shutdown because [insert economy] build bigger walls.", only to have it appropriately explode in the face of those who suggested it.

5. As for the two pilots required hook, it makes sense to me that any kind of mind-machine interface would be shockingly inefficient (moreso if developed on the fly due to need) but if you want to sign yourself up for the first trials of a piece of tech that works by blasting your cranium with low level radiation and electricity to measure synapse response and derive from that a command... then sure bro, you go right a head... get it... head?

EDIT: Oh god.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
jFr[e said:
ak93]Another week, another rip on the Dark Knight Trilogy. I'm really getting tired of him shooting those films down.

OT - It's giant robots fighting giant monsters! Messing that up would take a lot of skill. Looking forward to checking this one out.
Yeah, it's getting old and wearisome. They happened, Bob. Get over it already!
But when he said no more world-weary cynicism in our movies, I'm on board with that. Now if we can just take it out of our video games too, then we're golden.
This movie looks ball-shatteringly awesome and I must see it NOW!

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Damn, I really want to see this movie the more I hear and read about it. I hate that it doesn't come to cinemas here until august.

mbarker

Nov 12, 2008
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I bet you there will be a sequal next summer and it is going to suck balls.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Wow, I don't think I've ever heard you gush about a movie so much.
Forgot Scott Pilgrim?

Anyways, I unfortunatly havent the time till atleast sometime early next week, but you can damn well bet Ill be in the movie theater the minute it fucking opens.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
mbarker said:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I bet you there will be a sequal next summer and it is going to suck balls.
I seriously doubt there will be a sequel, not spoiling, just saying. The flick is really fun and well shot, no shaky cam was great because you got to clearly see everything.

Also, the people who were screaming everywhere that this is an EVA rip off can stop now, this is definitely not.

DSP_Zulu

Jun 4, 2013
I wish Bob would stop felating DelToro for his "most ORIGINALZ MOVIEZ EVAR".....

'cause, you know... .this is about as original as a dog turd. It may be a good movie (haven't been to see it yet) but given Bob's geek culture background, you think he'd have realized that the plot, concept, hell, everything about the entire movie is stolen directly from anime. All of it. Every last bit.

It isn't original. Not remotely. Please stop it.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
"Oh, are you feeling bad? There's a monster! Now punch it in the face!"

I'd say "If only somebody said that to Shinji in Evangellion," except that I've watched the show enough to know that somebody actually did say that to him and it didn't work.

Still probably not going to see this one right away, though.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Mumorpuger said:
In response to the intro:

"Nah man, I got bills to pay!"

And, was that "oh my" a good, bad, or George Takei "oh my?"
Takei all the way.

[sub]why are you doing this Django[/sub]

OT: I'll probably see it over the weekend, but I'm really hoping it doesn't bore the hell out of me like World War Z did.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
First point: So, PR is good? Unsurprising, but definitely appreciated. I'll be seeing this tomorrow for sure.

Second point: Wait, there's a new Chucky movie?! Okay, I'm all over that.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
mbarker said:
I seriously doubt there will be a sequel, not spoiling, just saying.
They're already writing it, but supposedly del Toro is hands off in regards the content and will probably only be involved as a director or producer.