Escape to the Movies: Paul

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Paul

Does combining the comedic talents from some of the best of tv and film result in the funniest movie this year?

Watch Video

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I've been waiting for the film to come out here ever since I saw It was already out in Brittan... stupid BBC touting is supremacy all over me.

Anyway going tonight ^.^

Simon Peg and Nick Frost FTW

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Saw it 2 days ago, and it's FANTASTIC. Just as good as their other outings, well worth seeing.

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
You do realise that Conan is portrayed as more of a skinny athletic build in his REH originals then the comic versions.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I have low expectations for this movie. The trailers din't make me laugh and I'm not one for road trip movies. But I will still likely be seeing it this or next week so I hope MB is right.

Skreeee

Jun 5, 2009
Good. I need a movie to wash out the taste of Battle: LA. I've seen worse apocalyptic alien invasion movies, but after the third ground battle scene I felt like I do when watching a friend play Gears of War when they're stuck at any of the interchangeable crouch-and-shoot points, which gets very boring when you're not the one playing. By the end I was just checking my watch and hoping I was in the movie's last 30 minutes already.

Then again, something about Seth Rogan grates on my ears something awful as of late, so here's hoping that doesn't affect my opinion of 'Paul' overall too much.

DearFilm

Mar 18, 2011
I concur, but my big sticking point for a film like this is that it often confuses Christianity with the ID people. As a Catholic, I've taken my fair load of excrement from people who don't realize that even the Pope in Rome has said that both evolution and the existence of other intelligent life in the universe are in no way in conflict with the church's ideals.

So as long as a movie is smart enough to know who is stupid, I am on board.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Not being one to avoid a few "screw you"s for the intelligent design crowd, I think it might be a bit hypocritical when the main alien can bring things back from the dead just to eat them. What evolutionary adaptation would require that ability?

Anyway, I love these guy's other movies, so I'll definitely see this at some point.

Mar 30, 2010
Prof. Monkeypox said:
Not being one to avoid a few "screw you"s for the intelligent design crowd, I think it might be a bit hypocritical when the main alien can bring things back from the dead just to eat them. What evolutionary adaptation would require that ability?
Scavengers who like to 'eat fresh'? A race that never developed refrigeration? Sadistic predators who like to play mindgames with their food?

OT: I was gearing up to go and see this film at some point, looks like I'm definitely going now. Good review.

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
Maybe it's just because i'm not American, but I didn't find the film that funny at all.

It was average at best, with shoe-horned in romance and the usual twist ending.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
There's something up with the Ads on this one, Escapist. I started the video, then about 30 seconds into it, an ad interrupted, then restarted the video.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
guise709 said:
You do realise that Conan is portrayed as more of a skinny athletic build in his REH originals then the comic versions.
Huh? It's been a long time, but I've read virtually all of Howard's 'Conan' series, and I don't recall that. While he was an accomplished thief, Howard often described him as 'giant' and 'massive' and often says he was the strongest man alive. Subotai and Valeria were the thin, acrobatic type.

Schwarzenegger was the perfect Conan, with the exception of his eyes; so ultimately, I agree with Bob: that guy doesn't really fit the bill, but I'm almost definitely going to see the movie anyway.