Escape to the Movies: Pompeii

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Pompeii

A love story set between a volcanic eruption and violent gladiatorial games. It sounds awesome, but...

Watch Video

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Aw man, they are remaking Stargate. I still have very fond feelings for SG-1 that haven't yet been burned away by mediocre movies like my feelings for Star Trek and Star Wars.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I remember back when I was a kid, I watched Lizzie McGuire, about an episode where Lizzie and her friends sneak into an R rated movie called "Vesuvius", which was a parody of Titanic meets Dante's Peak.

Now producers 'actually' made a movie like that. I'm not sure if that's funny or incredibly sad...

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I'm still waiting for a picture of ancient Rome that goes bananas and engage me through entertainment than a pretentious one which wastes a great opportunity to show something historic while being interesting.

Seem like it has good effects though.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Andrew Siribohdi said:
I remember back when I was a kid, I watched Lizzie McGuire, about an episode where Lizzie and her friends sneak into an R rated movie called "Vesuvius", which was a parody of Titanic meets Dante's Peak.

Now producers 'actually' made a movie like that. I'm not sure if that's funny or incredibly sad...
How much of a bottom are you scraping when you're rebooting movies that didn't even exist?

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
What is the difference between Spartacus (way better than Ben-Hur) the movie and Spartacus the TV-show?

And what was this about a Stargate reboot?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
That was a rather abrupt end there, Bob.

Also, you're joking about the Stargate reboot, right? Right?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So uninteresting that it only got 3 minutes worth of discussion. Oh well.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
If I want a good story about Pompeii I can just rewatch the doctor who episode fires of Pompeii.

WarHamster40K

Dec 2, 2009
I saw the trailer when it came out and started digging through various wikis to get a refresher. Admittedly, it's not as well-known outside of comic culture as Iron Man/Batman/Etc. This plus AntMan will likely put the Marvel movie franchise to the test, as far as momentum goes. Still, looks awesome so far!

As for the Stargate remake, it's not very far in, but it apparently has legs. Tiny, tiny legs. http://io9.com/stargate-is-getting-rebooted-into-a-new-movie-trilogy-1263411150

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Sounds about right; Harington is a TV actor so of course when it comes to movies it's slim pickings. Furthermore, I would say performances have as much to do with the actor as they do with the script and director. And since 2/3 of that equation in this film are comprised of typical hacks, there's not a lot that can be done.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
I saw a trailer for this and, in my continuing battle with my brain to mouth filter, said 'I know how this ends' way too loud. My friends all groaned. I'm winning at life.

Malisteen

Mar 1, 2010
SnakeoilSage said:
This has been going around the internet lately.
That's a fine criticism and all, but it will really only carry any weight when Marvel Studios puts out a movie that doesn't primarily revolve around a white dude. There's supposedly a black widow movie in the works, so I'm hopeful there, but I'm a little confused why all the superhero film studios think only a white lead can carry their movie, given how significant the success of the Blade films was to helping the whole superhero film wave really get moving.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Wait! Was that still shot of Katy Perry from the Stargate reboot?! When did this franchise start dropping acid?! o_O

As for this week's movie... Yup, another "Fuck all is coming out this early in 2014" reason to go see The Lego Movie again.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Jon Snow needs to stop finding himself in occupations that are centered close to things that can wipe out an entire civilization of humans.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
Yeah I'm going to assume that this is going to get steamrolled by the Lego movie just like everything else then? I'll probably see this whenever it comes out on demand. Till then, I'll give it a miss.

Guardians of the Galaxy looks crazy awesome. I've been quietly hopeful for it since the casting was announced but now I'm really excited for it. I think everyone should just hand over their superhero property rights to Marvel because man, they're the only ones who seem to really get it at the moment. Well, not really, but it seems like every announcement from anyone other than Marvel at the moment just rubs me the wrong way.

Also, to everyone else: Katy Perry's new video looks like a stupid version of Stargate.

RavenTail

Oct 12, 2010
I'm surprised Bob didn't drop the name Paul W.S. Anderson sooner as being the director (which was news to me)

Now I'll have to give Paul a tiny bit of credit. The movie may be bad but it's the first one he's done in the last decade where he didn't shoe horn Milla Jovovich into a prominent role.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Mr. Q said:
Wait! Was that still shot of Katy Perry from the Stargate reboot?! When did this franchise start dropping acid?! o_O

As for this week's movie... Yup, another "Fuck all is coming out this early in 2014" reason to go see The Lego Movie again.
I think it's from her music video for "Dark Horse" which came out in the last few days. Haven't seen it yet, though.