Escape to the Movies: Prince of Persia

Octopusesgarden

Feb 15, 2010
Tarkand said:
Well, it's 'good' I guess.

Am I the only one who think this summer's movie line up look terrible? :(

Now that Iron Man 2 came out... it's all 'meh' stuff.
With the exception of toy story 3 & Scott Pilgrim vs. the world of course.
Apart from that,you're right

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Okay, I just watched the movie, and found myself re-watching the review. Now I'm confused... what is it about the movies ending does MovieBob think is going to have people pissed? I rather liked it. It wrapped up nicely. Prince gets the princess, defeated the bad guy, saved everyones life that he cared about. Yaknow, a classic GOOD ending! What was supposed to have me up in arms again?

Rossiar

Oct 29, 2009
But seriously does anyone know why they HAD to have a British Accent? Jake Gyllenhaal had to have vocal coaching to get it right as he is VERY American. I learned all this on Xbox Live where a special was done interviewing the actors in which this was mentioned as in "how hard was it to sound British" but completely glossed over the why element.

Anyway was a good film if not a tad predictable but kudos to Jake for managing to do that Parkour early on in the film, if that was actually him. :D

naughtydoggus

Dec 21, 2009
I think Movie Bob hit the nail on the head with this review. I even saw it before seeing his review and he said almost my feelings exactly. Although ever since I started watching his video's there's something that has always irked me about him, and that is his bias toward Nindendo. He's a retro fan. That's cool. I can accept that. But he's started to move from being simply a retro fan, to now thinking that all new IP's have no chance at improving what he thinks was perfection nearly twenty years ago.
Sheesh, give credit where it's due. Even Yatzee, the Emperor of all game critisizm, says that Prince of Persia was (not just one of) "the" greatest franchise of the last console generation.
But for Bob, it's like any game that doesn't begin with the words "Super Mario," "The Legend of Zelda," or "Metroid" is immediately inferior.

naughtydoggus

Dec 21, 2009
Tarkand said:
Well, it's 'good' I guess.

Am I the only one who think this summer's movie line up look terrible? :(

Now that Iron Man 2 came out... it's all 'meh' stuff.
The Last Airbender has a chance of being really amazing. Have you seen the trailers yet?

vortexgods

Apr 24, 2008
Either Movie Bob never saw Mortal Kombat, or... he's just wrong.

Now, Mortal Kombat was an entertaining movie that basically followed the plot of the game, Mortal Kombat.

Obviously, you aren't going to expect, or get, Shakespeare here. However, I liked it enough to buy the DVD years later.

Of course, there are lots of better movies in the Mortal Kombat type vein (most of them produced in Hong Kong), but for a movie produced in Hollywood and based on a video game, Mortal Kombat was good.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
About the English/British thing: As an English person should I be embarrassed that I didn't notice whatever comment you made two weeks ago?

Don't worry about it, its only recently that people have seperated Britishness from Englishness anyway, it used to be perfectly acceptable, and common practice to talk about England when referring to the whole of Britain

@ Movie bob, how good is the quality of the acting?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I have to say, anyone who watched Braveheart and didn't complain that an Australian was playing a Scotland character has no right to complain about the 'whitewashing' in this.

Especially given that said movie completely 'whitewashed' the fact that William Wallace committeed various acts of genocide on the English, and yet we were the ones who where made to look twice as bad as we were bad then.

As for the movie itself, I'm cautiously happy a good video game movie has been made, but it its abit sad thats its only really got the name and setting in common with the game, so its not really a true video game movie.

Roroshi14

Dec 3, 2009
I personally liked this movie and was waiting for movie bob to not like it, just to give me something to hate for a few minuets. There were however, a few issues for me, being a fan of the SoT series, but nothing that distracted me from liking the movie. My first problem was why did the writers change the capital of Persia? The games (specifically the second one) confirms that it uses the real world as its base and made the capital Babylon. So why change it to Nazif? Or whatever it was. My second complaint was with the lack of game references, yea the free running was cool and accurate, and the banter between the prince and the princess was witty and sarcastic like the first game, but there was a lot missed. I can't be to specific in fear of spoiling, but still there were plenty of time for the princess to say "Look there's a crack in the wall" Then slip away. Still I agree with Bob it is one of the first good videogame movie.

May 5, 2010
Hmm....Once again MovieBob accidentally reminds us that he doesn't really "get" videogames.(Not that he claims to, I'm just saying that there's a reason he reviews movies) Look, most gamers (at least those who understand the medium) aren't sitting around waiting for games to "transcend" to the world of film. The fact that there is now a good videogame movie is not some...validation of either medium. That is no say, it isn't significant.

Oh yeah, and I don't care what anyone says, "Lost" was awesome.

Roroshi14

Dec 3, 2009
Kuchinawa212 said:
You know Moviebob, you peaked with your reviews. I actually enjoyed watching them at one point. But this....this....what was this? That wasn't a review, that was bitching mixed with a 'mehs' You failed to mention the whole bit with the side characters. The races? The loud, fast talking fat guy? The wicked cool knife throwing black guy! Sure, I see their point, but found it unnecessary. I mean you actually addressed the whitewashing thing? That was a crock a shit. Come on man! They are actors. THEY ACT PARTS! Who cares what color they are? The play the role they are given. Wah, he's not persian. Well, I think we would have been more offended if they threw him in black face. Alrighy, and you forgot to mention that while they drew a lot from the source material, they only threw one big throwback to the game. And you realllllly had to hunt for it.
Oh and the ending. Have you played the games? *Spoiler country* The first game and the third game end on the same note! That's how it works. Prince goes does fantastic, amazing things, realize what he has done, turns back time to undo the evil that has been cause, and starts all over again from the beginning. Is that what your mad about? If so, you're really nit picking.
Maybe it's because I'm a prince of Persia fan to the core, and just got back from the movie, but I just found this to be complaining more then reviewing. Judge the movie what it is, not what it 'copied' or the actor's race. Judge it for effects, the acting, the direction, the filmography, and that sort of stuff.

Ahem, well I'm done ranting for the night, Good night
[br]
Very nice totally agree with you!

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Good point. It's no great achievement to make a competant Hollywood action flick out of a game series that was already renowned for being cinematic to the extent that it was almost a classic 'Arabian Nights'-style action movie already. If they could make a good movie out of, say, F-Zero THEN I'd be impressed. Still, at least it's good to know that they made a good video game movie, regardless of the corollaries.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Hmm....Once again MovieBob accidentally reminds us that he doesn't really "get" videogames.(Not that he claims to, I'm just saying that there's a reason he reviews movies) Look, most gamers (at least those who understand the medium) aren't sitting around waiting for games to "transcend" to the world of film. The fact that there is now a good videogame movie is not some...validation of either medium. That is no say, it isn't significant.

Oh yeah, and I don't care what anyone says, "Lost" was awesome.
Hmm, you are apparently unaware that Bob is also The GAME OVERTHINKER [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/] and has forgotten more about video games than you'll ever know.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Roroshi14 said:
Kuchinawa212 said:
You know Moviebob, you peaked with your reviews. I actually enjoyed watching them at one point. But this....this....what was this? That wasn't a review, that was bitching mixed with a 'mehs' You failed to mention the whole bit with the side characters. The races? The loud, fast talking fat guy? The wicked cool knife throwing black guy! Sure, I see their point, but found it unnecessary. I mean you actually addressed the whitewashing thing? That was a crock a shit. Come on man! They are actors. THEY ACT PARTS! Who cares what color they are? The play the role they are given. Wah, he's not persian. Well, I think we would have been more offended if they threw him in black face. Alrighy, and you forgot to mention that while they drew a lot from the source material, they only threw one big throwback to the game. And you realllllly had to hunt for it.
Oh and the ending. Have you played the games? *Spoiler country* The first game and the third game end on the same note! That's how it works. Prince goes does fantastic, amazing things, realize what he has done, turns back time to undo the evil that has been cause, and starts all over again from the beginning. Is that what your mad about? If so, you're really nit picking.
Maybe it's because I'm a prince of Persia fan to the core, and just got back from the movie, but I just found this to be complaining more then reviewing. Judge the movie what it is, not what it 'copied' or the actor's race. Judge it for effects, the acting, the direction, the filmography, and that sort of stuff.

Ahem, well I'm done ranting for the night, Good night
[br]
Very nice totally agree with you!
Thank you. I did feel a little like a jerk writing that, but in all honesty he found he did not do a very good job reviewing the movie. I mean what? Is he trying to impress us that he knows about old movies? Well that doesn't make it a effective review, just a tooting of his own horn.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
First review you've made in a long time that I completely agree with. Even people with completely different tastes have to agree on some things & the aspects that make up that thing.

Aqua Trenoble

Mar 25, 2009
Okay, so, I haven't watched the movie nor have I even watched the review all the way through, but I REALLY needed to get this off my chest. Just so you know, I am IRANIAN (not Persian, there are differences that I don't want to go into now) and intelligent, so I know what I'm talking about.

True Persian people were white. There is PLENTY of evidence to support this. Iranians are considered Caucasian for some stupid reason, so it is actually MORE ACCURATE to have Caucasians with traces of Middle Eastern/Asian ancestry than to have actual Iranians. Which the moviemakers apparently tried to do. Even if the moviemakers didn't do their homework, Ubisoft almost certainly would. And you should know better, Moviebob. For Christ's sake, you're on a gaming website, act like it every once in a while!

As to the British accents, god knows whether they would have spoken like that since the majority of English-speakers that they would meet would be British (remember that Persia was directly in the way of Britain's land access to its BFF India and also possessed nice, exotic commodities for the bland Europeans). So, in all likelihood, if they spoke English at all then it would be in a British accent. SO THERE.

Oh, and if anyone has said anything in the same vein, THANK YOU FOR BEING SMART and I was too damn lazy to check through the forum.

feycreature

May 6, 2009
I'll leave the whitewashing argument aside for now, anything I want to say has pretty much been said, but there is one major thing I'm still having trouble with. There was a big deal about Jordan Mechner helping with the Sands of Time movie, but did he actually work on the game? It's a real question, I honestly don't know. If he did, it kind of makes sense. Otherwise, well, the original PoP and the most recent set of games have very little in common. You are still trying to get through various dungeons and rooms without being impaled, cut in half or falling three stories, and the setting is still loosely related to stories of the ancient middle east, but that's about it.

In sands of time you are not saving the princess except on a few occasions in combat, the vizier isn't even half of the problem (the larger part of is the sand monsters infesting the palace), and the setting is completely different. In the original game you are some random foreigner who's taken a liking to the princess of Persia, in Sands of Time you are an arrogant princeling and she's captured royalty bound for no better a fate than her servants. Prince of Persia 3D has a similar plot to the original game, but 3D wasn't a very good game (the story was certainly....elaborate, but it gets hard to take seriously when the tiger-man shows up), so I don't know if that helps. To sum up, Mechner's original Prince of Persia bears very little resemblance to Sands of Time, and I'm glad of that. I tried playing the old game again a month ago and I do not know how I once bludgeoned my way through annoying sound, one dimensional stock characters and some of the most finicky and frustrating gameplay I have ever willingly inflicted on myself. Don't get me wrong, I loved that game. I also loved The Little Mermaid. And the Spice Girls. It doesn't sound like they made the Sands of Time. It sounds like they made a tangentially related movie with the dagger of time in it, which is fine I guess but it doesn't really interest me.

Uncle_Brainhorn

Dec 18, 2009
I'm going to beat a dead horse and say that the first Mortal Kombat movie was good. Campy, buy pretty good.

Anyway, glad to hear this is a good movie. I might have to see it now.