Escape to the Movies: Rango

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Sometimes Bob turns me on to movies that I never would've thought to see if he hadn't said something (e.g. Daybreakers, Drag Me to Hell, and sort of Splice, although that one looked good to me from the get-go but his review convinced me to force my friends to go).

Other times Bob and my tastes are so drastically different that I get angry that his review made me excited for a movie I ended up hating with a hate that burns brighter than a thousand suns (GI Joe, Halloween 2, Repo Men, and Boondock Saints 2 are the biggest offenders).

I don't think I'll be going to see Drive Angry, because I'm almost positive it will fall in the second category, and I'd rather not have another reason to be mad at Bob.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Great episode, even though I will probably like it more than Bob did. I think my kid will really like it, and at worst I'll probably enjoy the animation enough to make it tolerable.

Ascarona

Jan 24, 2010
Ascarona said:
I was actually kind of angry you weren't gonna spend an episode about Drive Angry as I'm about to reserve 2 tickets for tonights show, but thanks for telling us it's awesome anyway.
And once again Bobo was right! My god that movie was awesome.

NotYahtzee

Jun 16, 2010
I wish, during the latter half, you'd mentioned the SPECTACULAR "Repo! The Genetic Opera", which, from what I've read about it, did not get a press screening for over a year after it was adapted to cinema. Probably because it was critiqued plenty during its run on Broadway, but I don't know.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I liked what you said in the second half. I saw Pirhanna 3D based on your recommendation and enjoyed every frame.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
I'll rent Rango when ti comes out to and if I enjoy it... I'm coming back here and yelling at you! There will be CAPS!

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Jonluw said:
I get it! Rango has a flowery shirt, fucks around in the desert, and is voiced by Johnny Depp.
The shirt and the fact he's a lizard reminds me of Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas... And I can't get that idea out of my head.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
That's too bad about Rango, but I'll probably catch a viewing of it anyway simply to see the animation. It's annoying that most, if not all, Western animated movies are directed at children or children+families, never towards the more adult demographic. It's understandable to an extent, the market hasn't been tested enough to see if a darker more "mature" animated movie would sell well, but I think Japan is far ahead of us when it comes to diversity in the animation field.

EDIT: oh, and on Drive Angry, I probably won't see that because I'm a pansy who can't take more than a few ounces of blood at a time (yet I can gun down hundreds of mooks in video games. Hmm....)

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Plurralbles said:
Jonluw said:
I get it! Rango has a flowery shirt, fucks around in the desert, and is voiced by Johnny Depp.
The shirt and the fact he's a lizard reminds me of Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas... And I can't get that idea out of my head.
Exactly. I don't know where the lizard comes into the picture but sure.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
I like moviebob, and this is just some constructive criticism, but how many reviews is that now that he ended prematurely because there was "Nothing else to say"

At a certain point, it becomes poor analytical skills.

Nice review though. Personally, I don't think Rango even looks that nice, so I probably won't go see it.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
whoa whoa whoa....so are you saying that drive angry is good??? i thought it was just another bad Nicolas Cage movie...along the lines of ghost rider... so is it worth seeing?

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Drive Angry was indeed fantastic. I'm glad I saw it last week! Really wished MovieBob would've reviewed it, too. Too bad the movie itself isn't doing well financially. :|

chickenlord said:
whoa whoa whoa....so are you saying that drive angry is good??? i thought it was just another bad Nicolas Cage movie...along the lines of ghost rider... so is it worth seeing?
Watch the trailer and tell me how it looks like any of his bad movies. It has nothing to do with the serious :p

Lissa-QUON

Jun 22, 2009
w6705 said:
I do believe Hans Zimmer wrote the score...
He did, spill.com mentioned the fact that it was Zimmer's score and imdb also says its Hans Zimmer. I have no idea where Bob is getting his information.

Cyrax023

Jun 27, 2009
yeah there's not a whole lot going on story-wise, but it's a kids movie. does that not change (lower) the standards of writing just a tad?..... i mean, it shouldnt, but i think it still does.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Shame about Rango.
He forgot to mention the rest of the cast: an ensemble of reliable character actors like Abigail Breslin, Alfred Molina, Ray goddam Winstone, and Ned "that pink bastard" Beaty.

You gotta love it when Nic Cage is in full-on "it's awesome becaume I'm Nic Cage" mode