Escape to the Movies: Red Riding Hood

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Under served? I guess that might be true in America, although my sister never seems to have any shortage of decent material. I myself have been studying East Asian popular culture so much lately that I've lost touch with what's going on here. They're certainly not under served in Japan, I'll tell you that much.

Sounds like a fun movie, I might go to see it if I end up having any time for movies in the coming month between film papers and language homework.

Skreeee

Jun 5, 2009
Kaytastrophe said:
Really bob? You chose to review red riding hood over Battle for LA? It just seems like an odd choice. I don't know I just felt like you would have enjoyed B4LA way more then this; also I feel like the escapist community has had more interested in it as oppose to this movie. Just my opinion though, its your show.
Perhaps he himself was doing as he addressed in the beginning of the video itself and giving some of the Escapist girls some love by giving a review to a movie aimed at them (supposedly anyway--I think Hollywood generally regards anything with boobs under 25 years old as something that only wants to see hot werewolves and vampires and precious little else at this point)? And since he thought it was at least better than Twilight, all the better?

OT: I dunno, I wrote it off as bad camp, so it's good knowing that it actually might be worth a rental one day.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Lono Shrugged said:
Points for the Ladyhawke callout.
"+" internets from me too. Love me some Ladyhawke.

O.T Visually it looks quite stunning. The play of the sharp red against the pristine white is beautiful. That's not enough to make me wanna watch it, but I wanted to say something positive.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
AssassinJoe said:
Say what you will MovieBob, I still refuse to see such a stupid premise.

I mean seriously, Little Red Riding Hood? C'mon!
Ah, but the original medieval tale of Little Red Riding Hood is much darker than the fairytale that we know it as. In the original Red Riding Hood is a rebellious adolescent instead of a sweet little girl, there's much more blood and violence, and the whole thing is basically a rape metaphor. This film looks to have set it's tone on the original.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Pleasantly surprised on this one. I was expecting Bob to rip this movie apart, but I may actually have to find someone to go see this with.

EDIT: and yes, I want that too Movie Bob...

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Probably see this when its up on netflix. Figured it'd be alright with its more gothic approach to LRRH. Similar to Sleepy Hollow.

Verp

Jul 1, 2009
Huh. Maybe I'll recommend this movie to a friend of mine -- she used to like Twilight but apparently she got doused with common sense somewhere and now she can't stand it. Maybe this'd be closer to what she likes.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Wow. I definitely got blindsided right there.

Maybe I'll actually go with my friends if they go see it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Furbyz said:
I really wanted to hate this one though. Is there going to be a dark, gritty reboot of Goldilocks & the Three Bears next? I mean come on, it would have bears ripping apart people that tried to take their porrige, while trying to get across the message that sometimes you just have to be happy with what you've got and not ruin other people's(or bear's) stuff in your search for perfection.
Actually, the original oral tradition of Red Riding Hood was a rebellious adolescent getting/almost getting (depending how evil the storyteller was) raped by the wolf that disemboweled her grandmother.

"Goldilocks and the Three Bears" isn't a logical next step.

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/image?c=03AHJ_VuuQIFmaUbZ67xOz65JsiR9SIhUwaQ9E_9y_3VMN7tXk0aDfv1XFnx8Aj74BcSMWbNVhFL6sHFz95d6IzFETyWz3VyzGGNI3BljyavxaClQZA28DNjzxau6e5p6TB5-tKC55PUg_UTsXlCYrHff_0GD22_QCIQ

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
The two last sentences of your review absolved you from being bashed by me. I was thinking: who abducted MovieBob? Is this film actually good or is he joking? Looking foward for more reviews :)

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I think I might just have to go see this because it has Gary Oldman in it... I mean, it's Gary Oldman for crying out loud! He's awesome!

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Random berk said:
Kaytastrophe said:
Really bob? You chose to review red riding hood over Battle for LA? It just seems like an odd choice. I don't know I just felt like you would have enjoyed B4LA way more then this; also I feel like the escapist community has had more interested in it as oppose to this movie. Just my opinion though, its your show.
I suspect that means B:LA will be bad news, like Skyline.

Vatican sponsored Monster hunter? Does he wear the pelts of his slain prey as armour? That'd be great.
Yeah, I have a bad feeling about B:LA after the train wreck that Skyline was.

For some reason I keep thinking of the Inquisition from Warhammer 40K and how they have people's whose job is to hunt down monsters.

That being said, can someone PLEASE get Gary Oldman a suit of power armor and a power hammer for his role in this? :D

Feb 13, 2008
TBF, I was going see this anyway. Now I feel excited to see it. Love me some really camp films. :)

Flash, I love you, but we only have 24 hours to save the Earth!

NinjaDeathSlap said:
... and the whole thing is basically a rape metaphor.
And is straining at the edges of metaphor.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
dalek sec said:
Random berk said:
For some reason I keep thinking of the Inquisition from Warhammer 40K and how they have people's whose job is to hunt down monsters.

That being said, can someone PLEASE get Gary Oldman a suit of power armor and a power hammer for this role in this? :D
Yes please!

Ian S

Aug 31, 2009
Add me to the list of those disappointed you didn't review Battle: Los Angeles, Bob. Though I guess I can't blame you, considering how turned-off you were by action movies like The Expendables, and how similar in tone this might have felt to Monsters, and the train wreck that was Skyline still fresh in people's minds. So I guess all those to varying degrees might have factored in to your not wanting to go see it.

Plus, you've got a thing for Amanda Seyfried. So I can understand your rationale there.

Still, I'm going to see Battle: Los Angeles today anyway. I'm not as interested in seeing Red Riding Hood, mostly because SyFy's own treatment of the tale, Red: Werewolf Hunter, left such a bad taste in my mouth that not even Felicia Day could have saved it.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Furbyz said:
I really wanted to hate this one though. Is there going to be a dark, gritty reboot of Goldilocks & the Three Bears next? I mean come on, it would have bears ripping apart people that tried to take their porrige, while trying to get across the message that sometimes you just have to be happy with what you've got and not ruin other people's(or bear's) stuff in your search for perfection.
Actually, the original oral tradition of Red Riding Hood was a rebellious adolescent getting/almost getting (depending how evil the storyteller was) raped by the wolf that disemboweled her grandmother.

"Goldilocks and the Three Bears" isn't a logical next step.

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/image?c=03AHJ_VuuQIFmaUbZ67xOz65JsiR9SIhUwaQ9E_9y_3VMN7tXk0aDfv1XFnx8Aj74BcSMWbNVhFL6sHFz95d6IzFETyWz3VyzGGNI3BljyavxaClQZA28DNjzxau6e5p6TB5-tKC55PUg_UTsXlCYrHff_0GD22_QCIQ
Oh I'm not saying logic was involved in the least. I just find the desire to make dark films out of children's tales completely absurd. It could easily be done with most any of them. Hansel and Gretel, Snow White, etc. could easily be made into something horrible with just a little imagination. Hell, I think that's already been done a few times hasn't it? Taking old tales like these and filming them is just an inevitable recipe for a cinematic abortion. We could be on a slippery slope. Hence, the above horrible idea for a movie.

Mind you this is all just rampant, baseless speculation. Mostly I just find the idea of an actual Goldilocks flick hilarious.