Escape to the Movies: Red Tails

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Bob two of the photos you used are Meisha Tate (A Far more successful MMA Fighter than Gina) and Jiu Jitsu champion Kyra Gracie.

sailor_960

Jan 12, 2010
George Lucas has my undying respect no matter how many Special Editions he attempts to shove onto shelves. The man is a visionary whose work changed the movie industry for the better. Is he a good director? The jury is out on that one, but he is a brilliant filmmaker. How many other directors out there have actually gone out of their way to create the technology required for their dream project, solely for the purpose of creating said project? The only others that I can think of are James Cameron and possibly Peter Jackson.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
No matter how many people tell me about gungans and ewoks and how George Lucas is bad, I WILL see this movie. Mainly to see what Lucas is doing now, but also I'm interested about the artistic vision. Thanks for that recommendation.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
bo ya, Moviebob, way to tell those Star Wars "fans" to stop saying George Lucas sucks, honesty at this point it goes from annoying to outright painful.

Also Red Tails seems interesting I may see in threaters or when it comes out on dvd.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
A couple of things.

I figured it would be a good movie. George Lucas is most likely still inept at what he professes to do. And it wasn't the fact that there was CGI in the Star Wars movies SE's and prequels, it's that it was utilized so poorly that it showed his inability to set up a scene. He also used so much of it in the prequels that it literally made the scenes boring and the actors unable to properly convey the situation because nothing they were doing was interacting with real world things. What with all the looking out the windows all the time.

That said, I think he probably did a lot of things right on this movie. He is working with great actors, and they are for the part in the real world. The CGI doesn't seem over the top and from the previews it looks well done.

I look forward to seeing this and the cast of great actors/characters they have in the movie.

Also, Gina Corano is hot. I hope she acts well. The fallback of Cynthia Rothrock. Kickass, but shit poor actor. And WB will never be able to make a movie like Wonder Woman. Why? Because they are not capable of hiring the right people to do the job. I know I don't need to remind you Green Lantern. Superman Returns suffered from Bryan Singers competent but boring direction. Even though it was probably the best Superman movie made (nostalgia aside). Too bad Zack Snyder has the next one. So I guess I'll go and re-watch Superman Returns now.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
Judging a movie on the movie rather than the reputation of it's producer? What madness is this?

LaBambaMan

Jul 13, 2009
Actually Bob, if I may;

I'd say the Tuskegee Airmen got quite a good film made about them the the horrors they faced both from the enemy and from their own government in the 1995 film "The Tuskegee Airmen" staring Laurence Fishburne, Cuba Gooding Jr.(who is also in Red Tails), Allen Payne, Malcom Jamal-Warner and John Lithgow to name a few.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Going to see this next week, not to support Lucas (man has enough money) but to support serious movies involving a primarily black cast. I saw his interview with Stewart on how hard it was to get this movie in theaters because it's a black movie without "Tyler Perry" in the title and it was rather depressing.

And there was a 1995 Tuskegee Airman movie with Fishbourn and Gooding Jr that I remember watching in my high school AF-JROTC unit. Will be interesting to compare the two.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
I totally got the point of that seven part series.

The point is Plinkett likes to f*** his cat.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

You liked the Underworld movies?!

My head is hurting just trying to absorb that notion.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I feel a bit like the kid who everyone groans when they raise their hand for saying this, but...

Copyright 2011 Themis media?

wowthisishard

Mar 11, 2009
Would be an alright review if you didn't needlessly jump in pre-emptively to attack people who (in the case where it's relevant, in other words the Star Wars franchise) take the only sensible position on the matter. By forcing the issue, you only make yourself look like a massive jackass.

Mike Lemus

Feb 23, 2011
I think he was reaching for examples more on that one. I'd say that Gina is by far the most marketable consideration for Wonder Woman though.

Mike Lemus

Feb 23, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Zhukov said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

You liked the Underworld movies?!

My head is hurting just trying to absorb that notion.
I agree.

Answer up Bob, is the only reason the Underworld films don't get tossed in the "brain-dead action films for retards" section of your folder because Kate Beckinsale is cuter than Jason Statham? BE HONEST!

OT: War movies aren't really my thing. Haywire will be a rental for me.
The Underworld films (also most Statham vehicles)are pretty good mindless fun IMO. A good opportunity to turn the brain off for a bit and just enjoy the film. Not everything has to be theatrical gold in order to be entertaining.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
I love action. I. Love. Action. But when all the action in a movie in concentrated 100% on CGI alone, I'm sorry, it just looks like a video game cutscene. I'll still go see it, but CGI just isn't impressive or fun any longer. Props, models, hard to shoot camera angles are ALWAYS more exciting than any impossible flyby super explosion insane stunt whatever thing that comes out of a computer. Why? Because CGI looks weightless and fake. In all cases. Always.

And no, I did not miss the point of the Plinkett reviews.