Escape to the Movies: Red Tails

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
BTW, the 7-part review he's talking about it's RedLetterMedia/Plinkett's The Phantom Menace review, and he's basically saying stop using THAT to justify your hatred for the prequels.

Also, I saw the trailer for Underworld Reawakened on my 3DS! :D

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
You know... I wouldn't have even thought about Lucas' Star Wars shenanigans had you not brought the topic up, but since you did(thereby guaranteeing the kind of reaction you claim to be tired of), I'd just like to say that I would be more than happy to stop being annoyed by Lucas' revisionist tendencies if he would -I don't know- stop revising. Blu Ray. Four months ago. Just saying.

As for the movie itself, sounds like a fun movie, and I fully intend to watch it when it comes out here.

Also, totally agreed on the Wonder Woman bit, though she would also be a good pick for Electra if they wanted to try for an improved reboot of a Daredevil movie. Just keep Ben Affleck out of it.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Actually the only place I've heard about the George Lucas thing has been here on The Escapist, and that has just been everybody saying "Don't judge Red Tails based on what Lucas did with the Star Wars stuff", even the trailers don't talk about it, there's no "From the Creative mind of George Lucas" or something like that

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
It's been a long time since I've been this completely torn on a film.

When I first heard about it I was really excited to see it for a lot of the reasons explained in the video. It's a subject that hasn't been given the cinematic attention that it really deserves and I have a soft spot for WWII movies anyway.

Then I saw the advertising for it...all loud electronic music and brief bits of dialogue that I've only been able to describe as "aggressively modern." None of the promotional material makes me want to see the movie and that has nothing to do with my feelings about George Lucas as a director or as a human being.

But then I hear positive reviews such as this from reviewers and critics with whom I don't always agree but whose opinions on the subject matter I can at least respect.

I guess this is going to be one of those films that I will eventually see, but it's not going to be an opening weekend "must see" matinee for me.

Windu23

Aug 6, 2008
For those bringing up "The Tuskegee Airmen," it was an HBO TV movie. Didn't get the same theatrical release that "Red Tails" is getting, which is probably what MovieBob, and most anyone calling this a first, means.

I hope Red Tails is just as good, or better.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, I wasn't really thinking of snubbing the film because it was directed by Lucas.

I was thinking of snubbing the film because it seemed like just another patriot-hyped movie that beat us over the head with "racism existed". I like it when racism is just an obstacle to over-come... not the main focus of a story.

Btw, I don't think I'll ever respect Lucas again, but I won't forgo a movie just because he was involved.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
Why would you want a Wonderwoman movie? She's the worst thing DC ever did and her one saving graces has slipped into total irrelevancy. And that's backed up by the film you pointed out. With the leading actor that you suggested as a good Wonderwoman.

If Wonderwomans message of female empowerment, etc etc, was still needed. There wouldn't be a film with an insanely capable leading female action hero in it in the first place.

Also I think the bit with you raging about nerds raging was too hypocritical. Even for you.

Almost inception hypocrisy. A rage about a rage within a rage.
I'm kind of curious how you arrive at the conclusion that Wonder Woman is the worst thing ever to come out of DC. I agree she dated and she has had some writing problems (mostly that writers acknowledge she is supposed to be one of the three most important heroes in the DCU but shove her aside so they can write more Batman and Superman), but she is not a completely unusable character. That being said, I have the feeling that Warner Bros would have to put a lot more effort into making a good Wonder Woman movie than they would like and it would require the delicate vision of creators (at least writer and director) who are already fans and know what they want to do.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Orks da best said:
bo ya, Moviebob, way to tell those Star Wars "fans" to stop saying George Lucas sucks, honesty at this point it goes from annoying to outright painful.

Also Red Tails seems interesting I may see in threaters or when it comes out on dvd.
Indeed, he tends to be an amazing producer. (The less said about his directing, editing, and writing, the better.) I'm glad this one gets the nod, both for subject matter and the rest.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
wooty said:
Wait wait wait, have I missed something? People are slating a completely unrelated movie because Lucas once thought up jarjar binks?
I didn't catch that JarJar is racist.

I'm not sure if that's because I don't try to find racism in everything or if I just don't think race is homogenized enough to tie to cliche character tropes.

So for me JarJar was just odd, funny and odd.

Sort of like the Hitler Mustache.

How exactly did one man get to take that? Nobody calls a nice bushy one a "Stalin Stache"

Nautical Honors Society said:
MovieBob said:
Red Tails

George Lucas chronicles the Tuskegee Airmen.

Watch Video
Pretty sure they've made a movie on this subject before Bob...give me a moment

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tuskegee_airmen/

Yup, here it is.

And oh look! It was aparently good.

So, I am not sure what you mean about this topic not being covered before...

OT: I thought this movie could have been good, but it was just so pathetically marketed for me to have any interest in it, that being said, I say we are all a little hard on Lucas now and again...although his interview on Jon Stewart made him seem impossibly ignorant.
It's not widely known, I am the only person I know that has seen it.

Even your original words were "Pretty sure".

How sure are you that there was a Titanic Film? How about Pearl Harbor?

These things we are certain of, once we start saying "Pretty Sure" its hardly something I'd count as an obvious example.

Pebkio said:
Yeah, I wasn't really thinking of snubbing the film because it was directed by Lucas.

I was thinking of snubbing the film because it seemed like just another patriot-hyped movie that beat us over the head with "racism existed". I like it when racism is just an obstacle to over-come... not the main focus of a story.

Btw, I don't think I'll ever respect Lucas again, but I won't forgo a movie just because he was involved.
I am bored of Racism for sure but...

Your request is basically for a "The Help" film. A movie where it was all laughter in a period of time where folks were getting the shit knocked out of them just for being born dark.

These guys really did deal with a ton of shit, had the film been all jovial it would be retarded.

There are probably going to be 90 movies out this year that don't cover racism, pointing out the one that does in a completely sensible context is silly.

AdrianRK

Jul 21, 2009
Looks like someone is mad that two certain movie reviewers said (and rightly so) that Capitan America was a piece of crap!

Just when I thought you couldn't destroy your credibility as a movie reviewer any further, you always amaze me. Leaching off of redlettermedia's popularity is a new low for you.

Actually, when they commented about this film they didn't say anything about George Lucas and even said the CG was good.. but a fanboy is just a fanboy, and you're nothing more then a mario & comics fanboy, and fanboys love cheap shots

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Zhukov said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

You liked the Underworld movies?!

My head is hurting just trying to absorb that notion.
I agree.

Answer up Bob, is the only reason the Underworld films don't get tossed in the "brain-dead action films for retards" section of your folder because Kate Beckinsale is cuter than Jason Statham? BE HONEST!

OT: War movies aren't really my thing. Haywire will be a rental for me.
I like the underworld films .... They are like twilight but good. I resent the "for retards" bit!

I like to be entertained and drama's are just painful to watch, if I want drama I will watch a soap (hollyoaks, Emmerdale, neighbours etc).

I mostly watch films to turn my brain off and just look at the pretty moving pictures, there are the odd film that gets me thinking (V for anon vendetta and fight club) but mostly it's just to be entertained.

Watching massive character development scenes and huge sections of back story with lots of chatty chatty is boring. People shooting werewolves while flipping around a room like a bit of flubber doing capoeira is awesome.

For example in the matrix, which bit is more exciting, the bit where Neo and trinity shoot up the front lobby of a ... bank(?) Or the bit around the time where Neo chooses the red or blue pill? The shooty bit.

If the ratio of shooty to talky is in the talky, I probably wont be interested ... unless it's got an anti social or anti political theme

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
When I first saw the Haywire preview, I thought it was Rachel Weiz. I was like, I stil don't see her as big action star. Mummy wasn't action and all her. Then I saw it was Gina and I was like.. YAY!!!

Bigwig

Dec 20, 2009
If you didn't want people to make a big deal about George Lucas's involvement then why did YOU make such a big deal about it in the review? Now that's the main thing I took away from the review rather than your opinion on Red Tails.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I wish Bob would just stick to reviewing the movie, instead of reviewing the audience. Once again, he insults our intelligence by panning the general public. he paints them in broad strokes, depicting a vaguely defined group of people (that may or may not include you) as a bunch of whining cry babies/jocks/elitists/brainless mob who are not doing things the way Bob would prefer. There are places for soap-boxing, and that place shouldn't be within a five minute review. At least, not when it is totally irrelevant to the film, yet takes up more space in the review than the film itself.

Bob, I don't care if you noticed that some people dismiss George Lucas out of hand. You do not get any medals for talking about them, you don't win points for admonishing them, and you won't convince anyone by jeering at them like a smart arse.