Escape to the Movies: Resident Evil Retribution

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Resident Evil Retribution

How far down the Resident Evil rabbit hole are you willing to go?

Watch Video

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I will never defend the RE series' narrative, but I will say they at least have a schlocky charm to them plus the games are actually fun to play; the movies are just BORING mostly due to Anderson's lack of talent as a director. Alice, too; she's a dull, Styrofoam cutout with 0 expression, mostly because she's played by Milla Jovovich who has no range.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
RE film is like strong Vodka. The first time is terrible. After a while you get used. After you drink too much you can do anyone and fight anything, even tough you won't remember any of the shit you done.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I don't know why but that "Strange Bedfellows" thing at the end made me think of a scenario in which Bayonetta had to earn her sequel by performing sexual favors for Mario...... I think the internet has ruined my brain.

Anyways good review, I've always disliked the Resident Evil films but for some reason I keep seeing them.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
ANImaniac89 said:
I don't know why but that "Strange Bedfellows" thing at the end made me think of a scenario in which Bayonetta had to earn her sequel by performing sexual favors for Mario...... I think the internet has ruined my brain.

Anyways good review, I've always disliked the Resident Evil films but for some reason I keep seeing them.
Bayonetta 2 is going to be a WiiU exclusive...

Anyway, fucking raccoons. Getting into my trash can, aggravating my cats, blowing holes in my lawn with their giant space guns...

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Meh. I don't delude myself into thinking the RE games have good story. They really don't. However, the story is good cheesy fun to go along with (well, used to go along with) horror. The problem with the movies is that they don't feel like Resident Evil at all. It's kinda cheesy, but not in the fun campy way. They feel really flat because the characters are boring as all hell. They aren't fun to watch. The movies are not scary nor do they even have a tense atmosphere. Even RE4, the game where RE basically jumped into the action game camp, has good ambiance. The zombies don't feel threatening because the main character spent most of the movies as a freaking superhero and still does crazy impossible shit despite being "normal" now. There's no tension when the main character is infallible. When the big badass Nemesis, who can dual wield a rocket launcher and minigun, is beaten in hand to hand combat, it's hilarious. She is a complete Mary Sue, able to to anything she wants, beat everything, and everyone loves her despite her having no personality.

I don't think people would care about the new main character and such if it as least felt like Resident Evil. But it doesn't. They took a series known for horror (until the last few installments at least), and turned them into generic action films where the only thing it has in common is name dropping. Combine that with the lead characters of the games being sidelined into near incompetence so the director's wife can look more awesome and you see where fan annoyance comes from. I don't think they are terrible movies (except the third one, Mad Max Resident Evil, really?), but hardly find anything noteworthy to watch as a fan of the games. When I watch Resident Evil I expect Resident Evil, not a generic action movie bearing the name.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
You are correct about what has been said about Dredd, it is a great film and comes highly recommended.

In regards to Resident Evil, FINALLY someone mentions that the story in the games was hardly film caliber to begin with. Yes the same can be said for these films but doing their own thing probably worked out for them in the long run, at least in their own way of course.

Also: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! GO ROCKET RACCOON!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
"When is Capcom going to let us actually play as Alice?"

You know, if impressions of the Resi 6 demo are anything to go by... maybe Capcom doesn't have much to lose at least considering that option. If they're going to go into action game territory as opposed to heading back to survival horror, maybe introducing Alice could make things more fun...

Also: I can't wait for the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Place your bets, folks! Will they introduce any of the aliens species of Marvel? How likely will it be we'll at least hear a mention of the names "Kree", "Skrull" or "Shi'ar"?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Aw, damn it, I'm going to end up watching this thing in a couple of months or something anyway. I did see all the previous ones at some venue or another after all. But I'm certainly not in a hurry to see it, so... no cinema for me. No, Bob. I've got plenty of other stuff to do this week.

Twyce

Mostly a Lurker
Apr 1, 2009
I always thought the story of the first game was a decent enough narrative. Not good, mind you, but fun and would have translated well onto the big screen.

But yeah, I agree as the series (of games) has continued on the story is barely recognizable mess. Not that the movies are any better.

Out of everything Anderson has done with the movies, the thing that pisses the fan girl off in me the most, is writing in that weird romance between Alice and Carlos. Which is strange, considering how badly he butchered everyone and everything else.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
I think the reason Alice isn't in the games is the same reason that you can't play as Wesker, she kind of breaks the game.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I know that movie series have gone on for longer than this (I,e the nightmare on elm street series) but since the last movie I'm always surprised that they continue to make these.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Sorry your sick Bob. For what it's worth you were really great at the Expo. Hopefully I can go to the next one, and see it all in person.

As for this movie....I have never had any interest in it anyway. Alice does seem like she would do well in a game though. It would be kind of hard to be scared while playing as her though from what I have seen her do. Powers or not.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
ANImaniac89 said:

Stange. My first thought was there is going to R34 material of Mario and Bayonetta getting it on, with the caption of "Mario was tired of not getting any from Peach." Also, thinking about it, imagen what Bayonetta could teach Peach and the other Nintendo girls...

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Alice not interesting at all she empty completelly devoid of personality what so ever...
And sorry but actually belive the games are more coherent than the movie... Explain to me what's the goal of Umbrella in the movie? In the game they develop weapons and they are a front for Spencer to search a way to achieve immortality. In the movie they provoque a Z Apocalypse and they are somehwo still heading business meeting and don't seem to have any real plans, At all

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
ANImaniac89 said:
I'm imagining Bayonetta doing her "clothes vanish and turn into hair" thing and Mario's jaw dropping, saying "MAMA MIA!" with that trashy italian accent...

Humble_Pen

Sep 21, 2012
WanderingFool said:
ANImaniac89 said:

Stange. My first thought was there is going to R34 material of Mario and Bayonetta getting it on, with the caption of "Mario was tired of not getting any from Peach." Also, thinking about it, imagen what Bayonetta could teach Peach and the other Nintendo girls...
One google search later and while there is nothing with Mario, there is stuff with Peach and Rosalina.

Oh internet, you never fail to disgust me.

...Oh, Guardians of the Galaxy looks interesting. Seems like a somewhat big gamble to market a superhero movie with an anthropomorphic raccoon. I'm curious to see how audiences will react.

That and Ant Man. This is going to be an interesting next couple of years.

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
Racoon-like creature wielding a big space rifle. Where have I seen this before? I feel somehow that a small robot companion is missing...