Escape to the Movies: Resident Evil Retribution

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Mr. Omega said:
Place your bets, folks! Will they introduce any of the aliens species of Marvel? How likely will it be we'll at least hear a mention of the names "Kree", "Skrull" or "Shi'ar"?
I'm hoping Kree at least, then we can get Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel along with the other Kree based heros/villians. Skrull would be amazing because then they can make a Runaways movie, and maybe introduce the Young Avengers somehow.
MovieBob said:
Resident Evil Retribution

How far down the Resident Evil rabbit hole are you willing to go?

Watch Video
Adam Warlock was on of the original Guardians, any chance they will use this movie to introduce him?

EDIT:
Thor: The Dark World - Reality Gem
Iron Man 3 - Power Gem
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Time Gem
Guardians of the Galaxy - Space Gem
Adam Warlock - Soul Gem
Avengers 2 - Mind Gem/Infinity Gauntlet

My prediction on where the Infinity Gems will show up

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
No point reviewing a Resi movie cos you know what your getting before you even entered the cinema.

Me personally, i lost interest in them as soon they they started the dumb karate kicking zombies for no real reason in number 2. Plus none of the monsters are a threat so it gives the film no tension. Its a fun movie series, but they could be so much better.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Bob has con plague? Been there. My condolences, and hope you feel better soon!

I haven't watched any RE films since the 2nd one, when they destroyed Toronto Raccoon City Hall. (If only that raccoon had a laser rifle.) Even though I like Milla and Michelle Rodriguez. Yeah, they're usually limited to playing loopy badass chick and angry badass Latina respectively, but they're still fun to watch.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Am I the only one that thinks that critics at this point are just going "look, it's pointless to review the Resident Evil movies. They're bad. You know it. We know it. But you'll see it anyway and it'll make money and they'll make more. Why bother reviewing it?"

Same goes for Michael Bay's Transformer films.

Still, Dredd 3D is proof that we don't have to "endure" this season of bad movies. Dredd 3D is actually, refreshingly fantastic, violent as hell, and another winner this year for a comic book movie.

Speaking of comic book movies... Guardians of the Galaxy. PLEASE go see it. If the movie does the comics justice, it'll be one of the best comic book movies ever made... but we have to show up for it. Don't go pulling a "Scott Pilgrim" on us again, internet.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I pretty much agree with Bob.

The thing is, I go into a movie like Resident Evil not expecting an awful lot. Things go boom, most of what passes for dialogue will be extremely bald-faced exposition, costumes will be wildly impractical and injuries will be precisely as debilitating or lethal as the script needs them to be at any given moment. Whaddyknow: expectations met.

But on the other hand, sometimes I want to watch things go boom, and in a weird way I kind've appreciate the sheer level of ludicrous overkill in some of the set pieces. This movie aims to please and doesn't have a whole lot of illusions about itself. When people talk about movies you go to to shovel popcorn into your mouth and turn off your brain for ninety minutes, this is the examplar.

So... why do movies like this roll off me like water off a duck's back, while movies like "Transformers" actually offend me and make me want to snarl venom at people who defend them with the same kind of "popcorn movie" descriptions I just gave to RE?

I guess in part it's the way it's pitched to the audience. RE thinks of itself as kind of a geeky niche movie at heart, something for people who like the games and video games in general, and/or schlocky action/horror/zombie movies. RE feels like the people responsible are behind you going, "Wait for it- boom! Heh! Wasn't that cool? Okay, hold on- got thirty seconds of explaining where we're going next to get through, then we'll see another monster, promise."

Something like "Transformers" is planted as a "tentpole" movie; it thinks it's the movie for everyone- and by association, it feels like its attitude towards that much wider audience is one of contempt. "Okay, we know you want to see Megan Fox in a low-cut top leaning over a car. All right, now for some toilet humor, because we know that's about the smartest joke you guys are capable of getting. And now we're going to interrupt events that supposedly threaten the survival of the human race for a situation that wouldn't pass muster in the script of an 80's sit-com."

Resident Evil never feels like it's edging out something smarter or better in order to occupy its niche; it doesn't feel like something some asshole executive is going to mention in his next high-concept pitch. Transformers does. Does that make sense?

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Mr. Omega said:
"When is Capcom going to let us actually play as Alice?"

You know, if impressions of the Resi 6 demo are anything to go by... maybe Capcom doesn't have much to lose at least considering that option. If they're going to go into action game territory as opposed to heading back to survival horror, maybe introducing Alice could make things more fun...

Also: I can't wait for the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Place your bets, folks! Will they introduce any of the aliens species of Marvel? How likely will it be we'll at least hear a mention of the names "Kree", "Skrull" or "Shi'ar"?
Skrulls are most likely unavailable since they're probably part of the F4 package. Shi'ar I'm not as sure on but they usually deal with the X-men so they might be out too. Kree on the other hand should be open, I think.........All this different studios stuff hurts my brain. :p

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I saw this last weekend, and having actually liked all the previous Resident Evil movies, this one was... meh. "Greatest hits" of the previous ones really did pretty much hit the nail on the head. I did think that whoever played Ada was probably the worst actress I've seen in a while (unless the character in the game was supposed to be extremely bland and annoying, then she was spot on). There really didn't seem to be too many zombies, either.

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
Only thing worth replying to in this review: I really hope they pull Rocket Raccoon off well. Honestly, though, it shouldn't be that hard. Just give him a sequence early on where he gets to pull out a big gun and mow down a bunch of enemies capped off with a joke about his cuteness. If anyone can do it, Marvel can.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
The problem with the RE movies in my book is that the first movie tried to give atmosphere and make everything a threat, as in a single zombie could be enough trouble for our main characters to fight off. But, now the movie has taken a turn where the protagonists (especially Alice) can basically K.O a zombie with ease and survive against almost anything.

Another issue is that the first movie kept it simple, making it a movie that dealt with survival but this movie is like.. about showing off so much action, explosions, and slow motion stunts that it's a stunt express with actors and actresses you can't get attached to. Really disliked Resident Evil: Afterlife because it had no reason to exist, and the plot was utterly dull. Especially how they made Wesker, he is a spoof in the movies I can't take him seriously at all. In the games I could... R.I.P Wesker.
Can you still take seriously an evil superpowered megalomaniac announcing deodorants?
I already gave up on the Resident Evil movies "canon" and just watch them as mindless action flicks with a few fan services here and there. Also, wasn't Michele Rodriguez dead at the end of the first movie?.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Is there really any reason to be excited about seeing Rodriguez when, based on roles present and prior, we know she's going to get killed off anyway? Though I suppose it would be interesting in a novel way - not many characters I can think of have died at least twice in the same series, although come to think of it the record may technically be held by the Alice clones.

WindowMaker22

Sep 5, 2012
Why make another Resident Evil movie? It should have ended with the second one (with the helicopter being blown up, not the weird ending with the 'I can kill you through a video camera' stare). Resident Evil was never about slow-mo action scenes. It was about survival horror and well, the train has left and station and went off the bridge into a chasm into the fifth dimension of torment. Thank you and good night.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
What else I'm going to do this weekend?
Ehm watch the "new" movies that is just coming out, Brave was about 3 weeks ago (native....

But it seems like I were smart skipping RE.
'Cus I'm already set for a marathon of Paranorman, Lawless and Ted tomorrow in a row... So I'm going to have fun :)

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I recall MovieBob saying at one of the Escapist Expo panels that he wasn't going to review this movie because he was at the expo. I guess that was a joke.

acillies45

Feb 25, 2009
To the 'Alice is more interesting than any characters in the games' bit, I would argue that Leon is more interesting. He's not the deepest character there is, but you can relate to him and you kind of feel bad as he just seems to be in the 'wrong place wrong time' scenario. If anything, I think he is fun to watch and just sort of a badass without being overly cocky about it (like some of the other characters in the series have been.)

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
LobsterFeng said:
I recall MovieBob saying at one of the Escapist Expo panels that he wasn't going to review this movie because he was at the expo. I guess that was a joke.
Yes, I distinctly remember that, too. Something along the lines of, "I'm thankful that I'm here on this panel so that I don't have to go see the latest Resident Evil movie."

Bob: What the heck?