Escape to the Movies: Riddick

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Holy shit I remember reading Island of the Blue Dolphins in elementary school.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Correcting for Bob's jock hate, I get the feeling that this just might be a decent movie.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
I'd still recommend Chronicles of Riddick as a worthy candidate for Movie Defense Force. It wasn't an oscar-winner, but for me it was a fun ride with some nice action scenes, a big universe, interesting sets (especially the prison planet, easily the highlight of the movie), etc. The one-liners were a tad annoying and the whole "wooo badass is badass" thing was way too over-played, but it was still watchable and ended on a pretty decent cliffhanger:
Riddick slays Lord Marshal (with Kyra's help) and is therefore automatically the new Necromonger leader due to their "you keep what you kill" rule, but at the cost of Kyra's death. Commander Vaako and Dame Vaako are furious, left with no choice but to bow down to Riddick.
...so when Bob tells me that the new movie has no explanation of what happened after Chronicles, I'm a little pissed. Sorry but...WHAT? An entire evil galactic empire with gigantic fleets of ships and magic-powered technology wasn't a big enough deal to continue with? What the fuck did Riddick do after the last movie, just grab a ship and fly away with the entire empire's attention on him?

You know what, screw spoilers, I'm going to dig up the plot of Riddick and see if it's even worth my time.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
The tragedy of Riddick is that I'm not entirely sure Vin gets why fans liked Riddick in Pitch Black. Riddick was great in Pitch Black, and subsequently the animated sequel and Escape From Butcher Bay game, because you never fully understood what was going on in his head. One moment you swear he's gonna gut the survivors in Pitch Black as bait, next he's trying desperately to save their dumb asses. And then you have his unusual attachment with Jack. Riddick's character had a bit of that "generic badass" machismo, but he had an endearing unpredictablity to him that felt like he was an actual person with motivations, not a "meat golem" as Bob called him.

I really wanted this to be good, because Chronicles was pretty damn stupid, but I still like the idea of Riddick from Pitch Black and Butcher Bay. Why couldn't we just get a movie based on Butcher Bay or Dark Athena?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Yuuki said:
I'd still recommend Chronicles of Riddick as a worthy candidate for Movie Defense Force. It wasn't an oscar-winner but for me it was a fun ride with some nice action scenes, a big universe, interesting set pieces (especially that prison planet, easily the highlight of the movie), etc. It was watchable, and ended on a pretty awesome cliffhanger:
Riddick is left as the leader of the Necromongers after slaying Lord Marshall and taking his place upon the throne
...so when Bob tells me that the new Riddick has no explanation of what the FUCK happened after Chronicles, I'm a little pissed. Sorry but...WHAT? An entire evil galactic empire with gigantic fleets of ships and high-technology wasn't a big enough deal to continue on about? Where the hell did Riddick go from there?

You know what, screw spoilers, I'm going to dig up the plot of Riddick and see if it's even worth my time.
Here:

Isnt as cool as Peter Chung's animation Dark Fury but it explains things.
Farther than stars said:
So essentially this film's approach to sex can be summarized as both misogynistic AND homophobic. Yeah... like I needed more of a reason NOT to go and see this.
Also, stone-faced meat golem would be a really cool band name. I just needed to say that.
I still havent seen it but I highly doubt its like that, he probably hits on her, she says she is a lesbian and he being Riddick probably keeps hitting on her because he is just that good. Not going after the "fuck you straight" but after the "I am so good that for me its worth it, the other guys just dont know how to pleasure you", the idea isnt that after he fucks her she is no longer lesbian, the idea is that he is the exception because he is that good.

At least thats what I think it probably is as it fits the character since it wouldnt be the first time he acted like that (not related to sexuality though).

If Im wrong then they really went after a really dumb idea.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
teamcharlie said:
A) It is possible for a lady to say that she doesn't "fuck dudes" when she's surrounded by a bunch of horny douchey bounty hunter guys without her actually being a lesbian. She might just *gasp* not like their company all that much. I could also see her going with the pretty religious boy if Riddick didn't make it.
Wait... She's not actually gay? I'm going to be little miffed if I got this feminist lesbian outrage worked up over nothing.

A woman that chooses to lie about her sexuality to discourage unwanted attention? Around a bunch of horny macho testostercannons? You mean like some women at the gym just trying to get a workout? WHAT ARE THE ODDS?!

No, No. Clearly she's gay. People must die for this.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
josemlopes said:
Farther than stars said:
So essentially this film's approach to sex can be summarized as both misogynistic AND homophobic. Yeah... like I needed more of a reason NOT to go and see this.
Also, stone-faced meat golem would be a really cool band name. I just needed to say that.
I still havent seen it but I highly doubt its like that, he probably hits on her, she says she is a lesbian and he being Riddick probably keeps hitting on her because he is just that good. Not going after the "fuck you straight" but after the "I am so good that for me its worth it, the other guys just dont know how to pleasure you", the idea isnt that after he fucks her she is no longer lesbian, the idea is that he is the exception because he is that good.
That's what's misogynistic about it though. Essentially that's him saying: "Don't you worry your pretty little head about your sexual orientation. Let 'the man' figure out what you really want." On top of being incredibly chauvinistic, it's also just plainly arrogant. Never trust a man who touts his abilities more than his actions prove them.

And I can't stress this enough: in this case those abilities should not be proved. Everyone should be able to decide for themselves what they want and not be coerced into anything.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Farther than stars said:
josemlopes said:
Farther than stars said:
That's what's misogynistic about it though. Essentially that's him saying: "Don't you worry your pretty little head about your sexual orientation. Let 'the man' figure out what you really want." On top of being incredibly chauvinistic, it's also just plainly arrogant. Never trust a man who touts his abilities more than his actions prove them.
Plain arrogant, yeah! Thats Riddick alright, but about this whole situation thats probably all he is and its not about man being superior to woman, its about him being superior to everyone. The guy isnt just talk though, he really is superior to everyone else (he isnt exactly human)

I mean, the guy basicly fights and wins against the most powerfull enemies out there and becomes like, king of the universe or some shit.

Drake Barrow

Jan 10, 2010
When I watched Chronicles, I thought less "Star Wars Meets D&D" and more Lensman or other old-school sci-fi. Come to think of it, a lot of old sci-fi was basically D&D with blasters and alien powers instead of magic swords and magic-users. I don't know if the aesthetic was entirely intentional on Diesel's part, but I enjoyed it all the same. This film is going on my 'to-see' list, but not for full price. I'll wait until it hits the local cheap theater first.

KiramidHead

Jan 26, 2012
I just saw the movie today, and I quite enjoyed it. It was just all around fun. The cast is good to great, and the action is a total blast. They actually *do* explain what happened after Chronicles, but it's very brief and in flashback form.

And about the "fuck her straight" thing, it's really not as bad as Bob makes it out. Riddick just says that "I'll be balls deep in you when all this is over, but only because you asked me." I don't think that Riddick even knew she was a lesbian at the time, and he never actually does anything about it. And really, when a guy who is explicitly told so attempts to rape her, the outlaw barbarian coming onto her doesn't seem like such a big deal to me.

Edit: and I don't think RoboCop looks all that bad. There's actually a reason why he's now black and why it looks like a suit. Rest assured, he's still mostly robotic. But I guess whiny internet nonsense is going to rule the day, no matter how good or bad the movie itself is.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Could be enjoyable at least. Oh and Bob, you HAVE to review Robocop, or at least to a retrospective of the original series in light of the remake. Please?

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Hey guys

If a woman is physically attracted to a man enough to allow him to have consensual sex with her then she, no matter how many times she says she's gay, isn't actually gay.

Seriously, you're demeaning the whole Lesbian movement by getting outraged over a pretend-lesbian turning out to actually be straight. Sometime a woman really does need a real man when she's surrounded by a bunch of assholes. That's not sexist. Its human nature.

KiramidHead

Jan 26, 2012
Towels said:
Hey guys

If a woman is physically attracted to a man enough to allow him to have consensual sex with her, no matter how many times she says she's gay, isn't actually gay.

Seriously, you're demeaning the whole Lesbian movement by getting outraged over a pretend-lesbian turning out to actually be straight. Sometime a woman really does need a real man when she's surrounded by a bunch of assholes. That's not sexist. Its human nature.
She doesn't actually have sex with Riddick, though. All he does is make a few lewd comments and grab her ass at the end.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Bruce Kilkowski said:
Towels said:
Hey guys

If a woman is physically attracted to a man enough to allow him to have consensual sex with her, no matter how many times she says she's gay, isn't actually gay.

She doesn't actually have sex with Riddick, though. All he does is make a few lewd comments and grab her ass at the end.
Ah, thank you for the clarity. Back to the OUTRAGE!!!!... uh... wait. That's still not a big deal.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
"Fucked Straight" Still better then how they handled Batwoman's Marriage.
Actually, that is a pretty damn good metaphor for exactly how DC handled Batwoman's lesbian marriage.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
That pitch for Bob's book was ironically less irritating than the first. At least he was referencing The Critic.

Death_Korps_Kommissar said:
Damnit.

For some reason I really want Riddick to work, those games were amazing and I loved pitch black.
Because there's a solid action hero and solid action star in there somewhere. They just can't be bothered to pull it out....

DVS BSTrD said:
"Fucked Straight" Still better then how they handled Batwoman's Marriage.
I don't know, at least they acknowledged those two were gay.

Though it was straight fucked.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I really liked Pitch Black, and Chronicles of Riddick was one of those movies that I saw with my father, in which I basically turn off my brain and enjoy the whole thing through. It wasn't "Bad" by any means, it just tried way too hard to set Riddick as the stereotypical "hey this guy's cool because he's the chosen one", instead of just leaving him as "this guy's cool".