Escape to the Movies: Salt

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
Interesting movie. It certainly feels like they'll look at how well it does and decide if they want to make a sequel, what with the ending setting up for a sequel if necessary.

I know I wouldn't mind seeing Angelina in another action movie. I wouldn't mind seeing Angelina in a lot of things :)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
RAKtheUndead said:
Therumancer said:
...and then of course we just broke a Russian Spy ring active here in the US... where more people seem to be spending time talking about how hot the girl in the group was rather than the bottom line of the fact that Russia was caught spying on us while all the rest of this stuff was going on....
Let's be fair here - it wasn't like the spy game ended at the end of the Cold War, and there are plenty of American spies in positions in Russia, often in diplomatic positions. I think the reason that Anna Chapman gets the attention is that she seems very unsuited to espionage - not only is she too distinctive in her looks, but she appears to be outright terrible at the spy game. It seems comical in a way, particularly from a country which became renowned for its high quality of espionage in the past.

Imagine that the roles were reversed, and an American spy ring was found acting so incompetently, and one of the captured spies was an elegant blonde or something who was found spending more time on social networking sites than actually doing the job she was meant to do. It's clear that she shouldn't get attention, but because... you know, elegant blonde, she's going to be in all of the news headlines. I think that Chapman will probably use this situation as a way to get attention, which annoys me, because she failed at her job badly, and is still in the media despite those significant failings.

It's almost as bad as that incident a while back where the wife of the chief of the SIS called out her husband's job on Facebook. "HURR HURR DERP YOU'RE THE CHIEF OF THE SIS".
However, that works in favor of the general point that there is nothing unreasonable about making a movie about a Russian spy working on US soil. Not only is it persistant according to your arguement, but as I pointed out Russia has been up to some really bad stuff again and it's not out of line to be thinking in terms of what their agents might be doing here other than keeping an eye on things (which is not good, it simply happens).

As far as the US spying, that's a non-factor as far as the movie is concerned. Besides it kind of falls under the "duh" catagory given that we didn't just let the most recent spy ring go, we actually traded them for some of our people Russia was holding.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
KingPiccolOwned said:
Still completely uninterested in this movie, mostly because I don't like spy movies if it isn't James Bond, and I don't think Angelina Jolee (or however that's spelled) is in any way attractive... I'm serious, I don't think she's hot.
I agree with you, I cannot for the life of me figure out why people think she is so incredibly beautiful. As for the review, it seems like Bob only liked it because he has obviously got a huge boner for Angelina, thus I will declare this review bias and not listen to a single word of what is said about it. Despite the movie looking incredibly stupid and cliche.

Cocamaster

Apr 1, 2009
I'm having real trouble taking this review seriously when on the same page that you spend a long time drooling over Angelina Jolie's pictures you also diss her father.

The guy is a Hollywood legend and probably where this girl got her acting genes, but I guess when you become a conservative it automatically means you suck or are insane.

Way to keep your political views in check, buddy. Can't we have one review without you trying to preach us the virtues of liberalism? Thanks.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
Wait... Salt is GOOD?

From everything I saw from trailers I really thought it was just the next crappy-action-movie-with-a-chick from Hollywood.

Now I have another movie to watch along Inception and Splice. Damn you Movie Bob!

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
SandroTheMaster said:
Wait... Salt is GOOD?

From everything I saw from trailers I really thought it was just the next crappy-action-movie-with-a-chick from Hollywood.

Now I have another movie to watch along Inception and Splice. Damn you Movie Bob!
Goy mixed feelings about this movie now, since the critics here in Brazil bashed the movie.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Jolie's not so hot; She has a huge nose, puffy eye bags, freakish lips, & her face is too long & narrow.

nerdsamwich

Feb 25, 2009
Souplex said:
Actually if anyone looked at the papers recently there was some stuff aboot America nabbing some Russian spies. They couldn't have known this during production, but there is still some modernness to it.
Also...
[HEADING=1]Consistency man![/HEADING]
First you target Megan Fox for being an untalented plasticish looking sex symbol (I agree, but that's not the point here) and yet you do a complete 180 on your stance for that sort of thing with Angelina Jolie? Maybe it's just because she's your generations U.P.L.S.S., but all I'm asking for is that you try to be a little consistent.
Also, has anyone ever noticed that while Bob loves to rant about how Megan Fox isn't really all that attractive, he rhapsodizes over Ashley Greene and Angelina Jolie, who look almost exactly the same. I believe Bob's characterization of Fox as a "standard, cookie-cutter hottie who isn't really any better looking than your average Hooters waitress" should certainly also apply to the nearly-identical two he prefers. Not that Jolie and Greene aren't hot, but all three share the same body type, hair color, and basic facial structure. I'm just saying.

vviki

Lord of Midnless DPS
Mar 17, 2009
I went to see the movie and it was so bad that all I could say after it was omg over 15 times, until I could think of anything else. It was not a decent action movie, it was pathetic. Plot convenience was everywhere. Your statement of not using sexuality was blown 5min into the movie, having Salt block a camera with her panties, then that getting mentioned explicitly then followed by her not putting on panties back on, even when changing in genes. And that's skipping the first scene where she's just in her underwear. The story was horrible, with the random cliche generator full at work. Explicit scenes that pissed me off were a german guy with no german accent and drinking hiniken. Given how much germany and holand hate eachother that's pretty weak. The only decent thing in the movie was the russian language. I'm impressed that they actually try to say things correctly, rather than just reading transcribed text.

Finally to quote Lewis Black "...and then you're thinking "wow, Bob is actually a nice guy" and then Bob tries to sell you insurance and you have to go "F*** you Bob!"".

Doug LeBeau

May 1, 2010
Except, there are still Russian spies, watch the news, and they still get in trouble. Russia is more or less run by old KGB left overs and is nowhere near a free and democratic society. Given their oil revenues they can actually project power. They are just more subtle and probably more scary than they were in the Cold War. So, if you want a big, "bad" country, you either have to pick on China or Russia. This is the same country that is selling nuclear tech to Iran after all.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
I know this is going to make me alot of enemies but I must confess. I just don't think Angelina Jolie is that good of an actress. I've seen her in a lot of films and i've never liked her perfomances in any of them. On top of that I just don't see why everyone else thinks of her as the most attractive woman on the planet, I've never been attracted to her personally. But maybe she's just not my type. Regardless, good review as always Bob.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
vviki said:
I went to see the movie and it was so bad that all I could say after it was omg over 15 times, until I could think of anything else. It was not a decent action movie, it was pathetic. Plot convenience was everywhere. Your statement of not using sexuality was blown 5min into the movie, having Salt block a camera with her panties, then that getting mentioned explicitly then followed by her not putting on panties back on, even when changing in genes. And that's skipping the first scene where she's just in her underwear. The story was horrible, with the random cliche generator full at work. Explicit scenes that pissed me off were a german guy with no german accent and drinking hiniken. Given how much germany and holand hate eachother that's pretty weak. The only decent thing in the movie was the russian language. I'm impressed that they actually try to say things correctly, rather than just reading transcribed text.

Finally to quote Lewis Black "...and then you're thinking "wow, Bob is actually a nice guy" and then Bob tries to sell you insurance and you have to go "F*** you Bob!"".
Agreed, except Jolie herself did not try to speak Russian correctly, or else tried and failed miserably.

Also, the movie's writers seem think that "comrad" is a Russian word.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I swear, I wanted ot punch you in the face repeatedly when you kept dwelling on Angelina Jolie. I'm sorry, but I just hate it when people dwell on sex. I don't care if you like it, be professional here!

Anyway, I saw the movie, and I didn't like it, mostly because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be rooting for Jolie or not. By the end, I wasn't really satisfied, and even though everything was made clear by the end of it all, I hated being so confused and unsure during most of the action sequences, which are okay, I guess, but I didn't really care because I wasn't sure about anything during it.