Escape to the Movies: Shutter Island

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I just got this movie for my sister for Christmas, and we saw it with my older sister and Grandmother. My Grandmother, by the way, happened to have worked at a mental institute as well, and she thought everything about the movie was really doopey and over the top. She kept saying that the actors felt like they were reading their lines, and she even admits to not being a big fan of Martin Scorsese movies anyway.

As for me, I thought it was alright. I honestly didn't see the twist ending coming, thought then again, I haven't really seen a lot of movies like this, so whatever.

Sargon of Akkad

Jun 5, 2010
Am I the only person who found the potential story (torturing prisoners in the lighthouse) more interesting than the entirely-predictable twist?

Mr_Jellyfish

Jan 11, 2011
Loved Shutter Island, although I did think that the ending was purposefully unoriginal, as were the general themes of the movie. It felt a little like a sophisticated parody on the genre. Perhaps parody is the wrong word, but you know what I mean. It was fun, the kind of fun horror/thriller you get with b-movies but done like an a-movie. Yeah, I loved it! I think a lot of people who didn't like it were just expecting something more serious

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
This movie is very underrated, and I hate how critics sometimes find a movie to rip on for the sake of trying to be "different" when they just end up all flocking with the same opinion.

This movie was great. I can't remember the last time I felt so much suspense, maybe last time was the Departed... or Taxi Driver too (oh they're all scorsese)

Is this his best movie? no. It kind of slips a bit at the climax (a little cheesy, but not a terrible climax)

Great build up. Great conclusion. Great atmosphere. I liked it a lot.