Escape to the Movies: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - Bleeds Substance for Style

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Huh. That's a more positive review than I expected. Not enough to make me give a damn about seeing it, but still.

Also, Mr. Chipman, for all it's worth, I think the voice is funny. It's a shame Jim Sterling kinda-not-really-but-sorta beat you to the punch with yesterday's Movie Defense Force, but still, I think it's cute gag.

sandangel

Jan 2, 2011
Chris Ingersoll said:
Voice gimmick was worth it for "[Miller's] lost more marbles than a Hungry, Hungry Hippo with a hangover".
Agreed. That one line made it worth it for me.

MisterSurreal

Feb 21, 2011
I'm going to have to disagree with most of y'all here. Bob's noir-style review was massively entertaining for me. Good show Bob. Never let these naysayers prevent you from having fun with your job. If people can't be arsed enough to pay attention enough to comprehend what you were saying there, I dunno how they ever understand Zero Punctuation. I think it's mostly a case of 'Wah! It's different!'

I'd honestly enjoy reviews done this way more often. Noir I mean.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
enjoyed the first movie. was just different to watch and just amusing with the over the top characters and violence. hard to believe that 10 years have passed since the first one. lol.
well, i will watch it anyway next week.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Just popped in to express that I'm now boycotting your content, after watching you for four years. The way you're acting, I'm not even sad about it. See ya.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
I liked Ms. Green in Dark Shadows, but not so much that I could get over how...off-putting her face is. She hits the uncanny valley for me, which was the point in DS, but not so much here (or in 300 pt 2). That said, I loved Sin City in both comic and movie form, so I'll probably give this a look. (When it hits video, since I'm dirt cheap)

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Branindain said:
Just popped in to express that I'm now boycotting your content, after watching you for four years. The way you're acting, I'm not even sad about it. See ya.
I think you're mixing-up "boycott" and just plain "not going to watch anymore".

Edit: Also, don't let the door smack you in the ass on the way out. Do you honestly think anyone cares that you aren't watching his videos anymore? Plenty of people don't watch his videos, or Yahtzee's, or Jimquisition; you aren't special. Sorry to the be the one to break the news.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
If you want a violent and edgy film right now with a bit more substance, I'd recommend Purge Anarchy (Punisher + Escape from NY) over that 300 sequel or this Sin City sequel.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
Nothing wrong about doing this kinda voice over once every ten years, Bob. I thought it was pretty funny.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I really liked the styling of this review. I see the first comment calls it "too cheesy" but the point is to ape the Frank Miller/Sin City style. It's "in character" and it made for an entertaining episode that totally did feel Sin Cityesque.
He managed to make the whole episode feel like a part of Sin City (with tone and content, no less) whilst also communicating the review perfectly.

I like when people throw out some extra creativity just like that, "for no good reason" and I appreciate the extra time this must have taken to make compared to his usual reviews.

Excellent little episode Bob. Informative as usual and fun to watch.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Video's not loading for me. On either of my computers.

blurredplacebo said:
Is the video having trouble loading for anyone else?
Magmarock said:
The video won't load for me, but other escapist videos will.
JacobiGalt said:
Is anyone else having serious trouble getting this video to load?
Elexia said:
I'm having problems watching this video. Every other video on the Escapist works fine but this one. Anyone got a solve?
And the same problem is still persisting the next day, so it's definitely something on The Escapist's end.