Escape to the Movies: Snow White and the Huntsman

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Qitz said:
"Christian Stewart, who has no visible, emotional, rational"

Well no shit, it's Christian Stewart, what'd you expect? Acting? PFFFT.
*Kristen Stewart

Rocklobster99 said:
I'm still waiting for someone to make a Cu Chulainn movie.

I mean just look at this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%BA_Chulainn

Who couldn't make a movie out of that?
It's a damn good story, but it would never have enough mass-appeal to be successful, unless they dumbed it down, which would mean taking out the more character specific bits, so the movie would just be another generic medieval times movie

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
This pretty much tells me what I already expected. Even the first time I saw the trailer, I knew that I'd only be going to see Charlize Theron as the evil queen. And I knew that I'd be on her side, because come on . . . there's no way Kristen Stewart is going to get anyone on her side with charisma. There's so many better young actresses out there who could play the part.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Just from looking at the movie and its premise, there's one huge problem: Kristen Stewart is no competition in terms of beauty for the queen. I'm not trying to bash her here, I honestly don't care that she played in Twilight, it's just a role after all. It's just that the casting of the queen and Snow White make the whole idea of Snow White surpassing the queen in beauty kind of .... strange.

Cat Cloud

Aug 12, 2010
Disney didn't create Snow White... And I wouldn't say that Snow White specifically speaks to the "female experience." The Disney version is in someways somewhat sexist. It implies that women enjoy household chores among other things. While some women do like chores because they're weird, many do not. And why do female villains have to have a beauty complex? Is it society's way of acknowledging that a women's status is judged partly from her looks?

Not sure if I'll go see the movie, though. Why did they choose Kristen Stewart for this film anyways?

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
After doing some thinking Im not sure I agree with Bob on Snow White being more pro-woman because of it having a female villain and heroine. The reason being Ive always thought of her as the victim, the poor tragic maiden waiting on the real hero "Price Charming" to save her.

Lets see: First instead of trying to deal with her problems she runs away, because apparently she cant do anything else. Then she decides her best course of action is to play Suzie Homemaker to seven, yes seven dudes who have severe psychological problems, if thats not implying anything I'll eat a shoe! Ya know alot of em look alike I wonder if they ever switch clothes/personalities for a day? Anyway back to Ms. White, last we left off she was playing the role of a good little Housewife, cleaning, cooking, and looking after these guys...For what, a place to stay, a nice pile of hay to sleep on? Oh right promise of protection, yeah about that...

The Queen, the other major female, is represented as a older, cold, cunning, and bitter. Also note no hint of companionship whatsoever. She being smart realized something I asked the first time I saw the original Disney animated "Snow White" "If all the dwarfs go to the mine, who is protecting Snow White?" I mean seriously its common sense, she ran away fearing her life was in danger, told the dwarfs this, and yet every day "High-Ho, High Ho, its off to work we go!" You would think if their are 7 of them , they can surely leave one (Im thinking Grumpy:p ) but no forget her let her take care of everything, which she cant.

I dont really remember if the Queen used her magic to force her to eat the apple(cant remember so sue me), but if it was all Snow thats a pretty dumb move. Thats kinda implying she cant make rational decisions unless there's a male around. Dont even get me started about a Prince that likes to kiss dead girls he comes across, and Snow giving herself to the Prince just because he kissed her.

Didnt mean to break it down THAT much lol, but I hope you see where Im coming from

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Okay, stupid guy question:

in that collage of dwarf actor images, who's the guy in the lower left corner that totally looks to me like Christopher Eccleston, except Eccleston is not listed in the iMDB credits?

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
Since this and the Red Riding Hood movie, I feel culturally molested as someone who actually likes the Fairy tales in their original form.

PLEASE HOLLYWOOD! Stop making Crappy movies out of the Grimm brothers Storys!
And if you keep on... at least make a Thriller out of "The Blue Light". That one is way more grittier then the stuff you are working with. <.<

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
There is only one thing that would make me want to see this movie: the evil queen actually winning. I'd pay to see Charlize Theron rip out Stewart's heart after a long struggle and become immortal (let's face it, the queen is clearly the more beautiful one, not to mention a much more interesting character). As it is, the inevitable conclusion of "good" triupmhing over "evil" is simply off-puttingv for me.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Falseprophet said:
I read an interview with the screenwriter at Io9 where he claimed his original story for the script (almost 10 years ago) was basically a sword & sorcery version of Léon: The Professional [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/], where the Huntsman would be a Jean Reno-style grizzled older badass who takes Snow White under his wing and trains her to kill the Queen. I would love to see that movie.
I think this wanted to be that, and also wanted to be a Twilight-style love triangle. At least from what I can gather from the trailers and reviews.
Wolf Hagen said:
Since this and the Red Riding Hood movie, I feel culturally molested as someone who actually likes the Fairy tales in their original form.

PLEASE HOLLYWOOD! Stop making Crappy movies out of the Grimm brothers Storys!
And if you keep on... at least make a Thriller out of "The Blue Light". That one is way more grittier then the stuff you are working with. <.<
If they want a gritty version of a Grimms' fairy tale they could just adapt the originals...

sarahvait

Nov 6, 2008
I've said it once and I'll say it again. I REALLY wish they could have gotten Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss in the Hunger Games) to be Snow White. IMO, she's got the right look for the character, she's quite lovely, is a fantastic actress, and can obviously handle action scenes. I would have been in the theater in seconds for that.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
So, you highlighted that Charlize Theron is the best thing in the movie, but you unexpectedly didn't touch on whether or not Kristen Stewart actually does anything with her aimless, mishmash of a role. Was she simply average and mediocre enough to not be worth mentioning, are you reluctant to join in on all the "Kristen Stewart has only one facial expression" bashing everyone else indulges in, or was she just so dull that you simply forgot she was even in the movie, despite playing the title character?

Mar 26, 2008
I'm looking forward to the Sleeping Beauty re-imagining, Maleficent. Partly because my daughter's name is Aurora and partly because Maleficent seems to be the only Disney villianess who is unrepentantly spiteful and evil. They could do a lot with that character.

Alaster Angelo

Jul 12, 2010
The only reason I was even slightly interested in this movie is because, "Hey! One of the Avengers is in this movie!"

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
kk.. it seems like I'd have to dismiss this one because I don't think I want to see a movie, because one actor is cool. I think I'll just wait for the Hobbit hit the box office later this year...

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Aptspire said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Are you team Huntsman or team Charming?
Here is what I have come to hate from this generation of fans. I mean, this kind of focus didn't even exist before Twilight came out (there were no "teams" in Harry Potter at first...)
There was always teams. IT was always the house teams, and specifically if you were gryffindor or slytherin (for the first few movies at least). however, you were usually just Harry potter as a boy, granger as a girl, ron if you were a boy and you either couldnt make your own costume or genuinely liked the guy, and then you were malfoy if you were stuck up in some way or wnated to be different.

though the captcha is actualy pretty good for this, in that "it happens"

OT: I think the only good movie Ive seen Stewart in was adventureland, but that was shot at Kennywood so that already makes me like it and have a biased opinion.

Goldhawk777

Jun 3, 2010
I actually saw the movie for Charlieze Theron. I had my fiancee wake me when she came on. For those parts, the movie was great.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Qitz said:
"Christian Stewart, who has no visible, emotional, rational"

Well no shit, it's Christian Stewart, what'd you expect? Acting? PFFFT.
Kristen Stewart, and you've hit the nail on the head.

The girl has the emotional range of the head side of a coin. Even critics have described her as 'wooden', with her most common facial expression being 'blank'.

She's really no different in this movie. She tries, but ultimately fails. The movie is doing little more than cashing in on her Twilight career, as with the Huntsman being an Avenger.